PDA

View Full Version : questions about verses?? PLZ HELP

CGMAGIRL
Feb 1st 2009, 08:07 PM
Hello everyone. I am having couple of problems finding some things in the bible.

1. Can anyone give me verses for why we wear dresses/skirts?

2. I also need verses on how a person should address a congrgation?

3. Would God actually use someone to tell the congragation something that offends the whole church, that would come across in anger, and the person be in the will of God?

thanks in advance

Butch5
Feb 1st 2009, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone. I am having couple of problems finding some things in the bible.

3. Would God actually use someone to tell the congragation something that offends the whole church, that would come across in anger, and the person be in the will of God?

thanks in advance

Can you give a little background, so we know where you are coming from?

CGMAGIRL
Feb 1st 2009, 08:41 PM
Ok..in the church that I attend our "service director" has a MAJOR attitude.He is every sevice getting up just gett upset saying we aren'tdo the right things, that bc someone (that spoke bad about him to a sinner) that if the sinner goes to hell it's HER fault. I mean, when he has a problem with someone/something, he takes it out on the church. This morning. he went on this yelling bing for over 20 mins, he looked like he was just completely manic or something. This is an every week happening. He's always calling us a "lazy congratgtion", and how we don't get up off our Lazy behinds..bla bla. I have been in church my whole life. In the same church, and never in my life seen so much anger come from a "man of god in the pulpit" I dunno. I am confused. Would God actually be telling him to say the things he does, and offend ppl? This man and his wife go to church somewhere everynite. He comes to church excited and "onfire" for God (jumping, running, shouting) and then "gets mad" when everyone else doesn't. We have had MANY members leave our church b/c of his behavior. Our pastor has no problem with it. But our pastor is 24, and is his step son...SOO i dunno. I don't want to point fingers, or say he is wrong. I am searching for the RIGHT answer, What Does GOd say. I know that I am rambling...but I don't know how to say what need to.

as for the skirts/dresses? Just wondering b/c everyone seems to think it's your OWN CONVICTION to wear them or not. Inside or outside of church????

Ixthus
Feb 1st 2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think you have to where dresses and skirts, but I'm not sure.

As for the service director, I don't believe he is following Christ like he should.

Galatians 5:17-22

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

It doesn't seem that the person you described has those qualities.

graceforme
Feb 1st 2009, 09:18 PM
Ok..in the church that I attend our "service director" has a MAJOR attitude.He is every sevice getting up just gett upset saying we aren'tdo the right things, that bc someone (that spoke bad about him to a sinner) that if the sinner goes to hell it's HER fault. I mean, when he has a problem with someone/something, he takes it out on the church. This morning. he went on this yelling bing for over 20 mins, he looked like he was just completely manic or something. This is an every week happening. He's always calling us a "lazy congratgtion", and how we don't get up off our Lazy behinds..bla bla. I have been in church my whole life. In the same church, and never in my life seen so much anger come from a "man of god in the pulpit" I dunno. I am confused. Would God actually be telling him to say the things he does, and offend ppl? This man and his wife go to church somewhere everynite. He comes to church excited and "onfire" for God (jumping, running, shouting) and then "gets mad" when everyone else doesn't. We have had MANY members leave our church b/c of his behavior. Our pastor has no problem with it. But our pastor is 24, and is his step son...SOO i dunno. I don't want to point fingers, or say he is wrong. I am searching for the RIGHT answer, What Does GOd say. I know that I am rambling...but I don't know how to say what need to.

as for the skirts/dresses? Just wondering b/c everyone seems to think it's your OWN CONVICTION to wear them or not. Inside or outside of church????

I would not, for a moment, sit under the authority of a pastor who would allow anyone to treat his congregation in such a disrespectful manner. Your pastor should stop this man immediately and he should be disciplined.

As far as the dress/skirt thing - that's all from legalistic man. No one can convince me that God looks at me any differently because I wear slacks to church. I attended a church where all the women on the praise team were required to wear dresses or skirts if they were to be "on stage." Problem was, that many of the dresses were so short that they had to spread little blankets over themselves if they sat down because their dresses would ride so high. Now, would they have looked more modest if they were wearing nice slacks? I think so. My pastor never wears a suit, but slacks and a shirt. And I wear slacks every Sunday, and I'm up front playing music. If we put legalism aside, we quickly realize that the very things that many churches focus on aren't necessarily the things that really matter.

I think cleanliness and modesty are the really important issues.

God Bless.

Butch5
Feb 1st 2009, 09:30 PM

As has already been stated, I don't see how he can be displaying the love of God, if he is reaching out in anger and accusations, I also would not stand for this, this is the kind of thing that drives the lost from the church, not to it.

CGMAGIRL
Feb 1st 2009, 09:38 PM
Thank you everyone. I am glad to know that what I THOUGHT I knew, is right. Today's churches are changing so quickly, that what we were taught as teenagers and young adults doesn't apply now...Thing is the Pastor now is our old pastor's son, and grew up being taught the same things, so I dunno

Dragonfighter1
Feb 1st 2009, 09:47 PM
I concur with all the other posts.

I pastored for 14 years, (sabbatical right now)... there is no way I can see that he is following God with that behaviour.

If you were absolutely truthful in your representations then I strongly suggest you leave the church and attend one that honors God by following him.

The people in your current church don't have the moral convictions to stand up to this evil and so the church will continue to die. Consider standing up during his next tirade and VERY politely say that you do not believe he is behaving in accordance with the teaching in Timothy concerning the conduct of Deacons and Elders, and that if the church leadership and members dont stand up to him that you will find in necessary to attend elsewhere, then quietly sit down.

(then see what happens over the next few weeks)

This action should only be taken in discussion with your husband if you are married, and must be done in humility, after much prayer.

DF

Oma
Feb 1st 2009, 11:52 PM

thanks in advance

I would not attend a place of worship where the pastor did not display the Biblical requirements for his eldership.

If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
Titus 1:6-9 (KJV)

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Deut 22:5 (KJV)

Some will argue that this is Old Testament, but God doesn't change, what was morally wrong then still is. God wants the sexes to be distinguished by apparel.

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
1 Tim 2:9 (KJV)
The words modest apparel in the Greek seem to indicate that it was something orderly flowing down. Pants don't fit that discription, niether do miniskirts, or clingy fitted dresses.

CommanderRobey
Feb 1st 2009, 11:56 PM
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Deut 22:5 (KJV)

This verse is not speaking of pants. Pants did not exist during Moses' time. Do a word search for Deuteronomy 22:5 and you will find something very interesting. Moses was speaking of battle time. A woman was not to put on battle armor to go to war. Neither was a man to put on a woman's garment to escape going to war.

Strong's Greek Dictionary
2887. kosmios
Search for G2887 in KJVSL (stgsrch:G2887) kosmioV kosmios kos'-mee-os from 2889 (in its primary sense); orderly, i.e. decorous:--of good behaviour, modest.
Where does the verse in Timothy say the apparel has to be flowing?

My wife's pant suits look very modest on her.

Oma
Feb 2nd 2009, 12:23 AM
I am aware that that Deut. is not speaking of pants - they all wore robes back then, but all the same God wanted a difference between the sexes.

The word "apparel"
from <G2687> (katastello); a deposit, i.e. (special) costume :- apparel
from <G2596> (kata) and <G4724> (stello); to put down,

Doesn't sound like pants to me, but my origional intention was to give the OP some verses to consider not start a debate - that's useless 'cause folks usually have their minds made up already anyway.

chad
Feb 2nd 2009, 01:45 AM
The members who have left, I would say are pretty wise. It's never good to be in a church where people get verbally abused and the pastor stands by and does nothing about it. The pastor is Not much of a shepeard in my opinion.

We have had MANY members leave our church b/c of his behavior. Our pastor has no problem with it. But our pastor is 24, and is his step son...SOO i dunno. I don't want to point fingers, or say he is wrong. I am searching for the RIGHT answer, What Does GOd say. I know that I am rambling...but I don't know how to say what need to.

Walstib
Feb 2nd 2009, 01:55 AM
Hi CGMAGIRL,

Welcome to the board! It would be great if you could post in the introduction forum HERE (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)

1st and 2nd Timothy are a great read for your questions I think.

Fresco
Feb 2nd 2009, 04:05 AM
I would get as far away from that "church" as possible.
Sorry to be blunt, but thats what I would do

Kudo Shinichi
Feb 2nd 2009, 02:32 PM

thanks in advance

1. Deuteronomy 22:5 (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=145743)

2. By letter or when giving a speech??? If by letter...you should try to read introduction of letter written by Paul the Apostle to the churches in Asia Minor. Emm...if you mean training for pastor who need to learn how to adress to congregation is Timothy 1 and 2 of course you have to search it....:hmm:

3. It's the event when Peter when to Cornelius house... a Jew not suppose to enter into Gentile house. Actually, Peter did have vision from GOD about 4 corner of a tray coming down from heaven filled with all kind of animal and hearing a voice asking Peter to kill and eat them http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/?action=getCommentaryText&cid=5&source=1&seq=i.51.10.3