PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts

Jeffinator
Feb 3rd 2009, 09:15 PM
I just wanted some of your guys opinions on spirits and ghosts. I personally believe that it has to do with demons and I have never seen anything myself, but I cant explain away the fact that many "hauntings" have something to do with the previous owner or attendant at a house. For example, my mothers family was pretty religious but when growing up they moved into a an old house that was "haunted" and they actually saw a figure walking down their steps and many other weird things like a piano playing when they didn't even own one. Later they found out a man had committed suicide there a long time ago.
I firmly believe that once your dead your dead. Bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:5 "the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing", which shows to me that someone cant haunt a house because their old life is gone and they are no longer with us period. Until the second coming. But then why all of the stories and sightings of ghosts that look like the people who had died there? And if they are demons why do they pursue to look like and act like someone else who has died?

Reynolds357
Feb 3rd 2009, 09:35 PM
"Ghosts" are most definitely demons. In particular, they are "familiar spirits."

Athanasius
Feb 3rd 2009, 09:46 PM
Most definitely demonic...

FaithfulSheep
Feb 3rd 2009, 10:46 PM
Another agreeing on demons....

Why do they pursue to look like and act like someone else who has died?

As we know, the devil will do whatever he can to try to get people's focus off of God. He and his demons are looking for people that they can affect and look for the weakness in that person. He wants to trip people up and get them off track from what the Bible says... There is a battle going on in the spiritual world, and Satan's trying his hardest to win.

Jeffinator
Feb 4th 2009, 02:08 AM

As we know, the devil will do whatever he can to try to get people's focus off of God. He and his demons are looking for people that they can affect and look for the weakness in that person. He wants to trip people up and get them off track from what the Bible says... There is a battle going on in the spiritual world, and Satan's trying his hardest to win.

But how do you explain away friendly ghosts? For example, I had a friend who grew up talking to this old man that no one else could see. Everyone thought it was her imaginary friend. She kept telling her parents he was real but they blew it off. She referred to him has Gregg, later on when she grew up they later found out that there was a Gregg who once owned the house and died there. But he was apparently nice to my friend growing up and never did or said anything bad to her. Although i believe ghosts have to do with demons too, stuff like that confounds and confuses me. Why would a demon be nice to a child and befriend them and not bother anyone else? And why take on the name and form of the previous owner?

stillforgiven
Feb 4th 2009, 03:27 AM
I grew up in a house with "ghosts", and I can describe many of them in detail. Some were playful, some were not so playful, but they didn't become un-friendly until I got saved in college and realized what they were. When I started telling my parents what I'd learned, these "friendly ghosts" started showing their true selves. Eventually my dad also got saved and rebuked them, and things were quiet for many years, but things got active again when my niece who was being raised in the house reached the time in her life to choose or reject Christ for herself. I can't remember what was done after that, and they don't live in that house anymore.

It is really confusing to have this stuff around, because it seems so real, and yet it goes against the Bible.

Jeffinator
Feb 4th 2009, 03:55 AM
I grew up in a house with "ghosts", and I can describe many of them in detail. Some were playful, some were not so playful, but they didn't become un-friendly until I got saved in college and realized what they were. When I started telling my parents what I'd learned, these "friendly ghosts" started showing their true selves. Eventually my dad also got saved and rebuked them, and things were quiet for many years, but things got active again when my niece who was being raised in the house reached the time in her life to choose or reject Christ for herself. I can't remember what was done after that, and they don't live in that house anymore.

It is really confusing to have this stuff around, because it seems so real, and yet it goes against the Bible.

Do you believe they were demons? Why would they then be playful?

Athanasius
Feb 4th 2009, 05:48 AM

If it distracts someone from Christ, why not? Seemingly friendly, nice; they are things these if they need to be. They are anything they need to be if it gets the job done - one less for Christ. They'll promote the church (and I'm sure they have) if it means distracting people from the Gospel - do you think Lewis' Screwtape Letters was purely a work of fiction?

MLC
Feb 4th 2009, 09:40 AM
But how do you explain away friendly ghosts? For example, I had a friend who grew up talking to this old man that no one else could see. Everyone thought it was her imaginary friend. She kept telling her parents he was real but they blew it off. She referred to him has Gregg, later on when she grew up they later found out that there was a Gregg who once owned the house and died there. But he was apparently nice to my friend growing up and never did or said anything bad to her. Although i believe ghosts have to do with demons too, stuff like that confounds and confuses me. Why would a demon be nice to a child and befriend them and not bother anyone else? And why take on the name and form of the previous owner?

I would say your reaction is all the evidence we need to see why they do it, since it is obviously effective with your friend, and to a degree, you. Just be humble and admit that angels and fallen angels are more "intelligent" than us at this time and think these things out to a far greater extent than man does. Stay strongly based in the word of God and in a personal relationship with him, and reject what contradicts what he says. He is far greater than the angels, so trust in him and love him, you will see truth then.

stillforgiven
Feb 4th 2009, 02:02 PM

If it distracts someone from Christ, why not? Seemingly friendly, nice; they are things these if they need to be. They are anything they need to be if it gets the job done - one less for Christ. They'll promote the church (and I'm sure they have) if it means distracting people from the Gospel - do you think Lewis' Screwtape Letters was purely a work of fiction?

I have to agree with the distraction explaination, because this still plays a part in me having trouble sometimes believing in things the way the Bible spells it out. They make it appear that they are an imprint of a real person that once lived, and yet, the Bible clearly says it doesn't work that way. They've had a few thousand years to perfect their deception techniques, and this is a very effective one.

As for them being nice, they didn't have to be mean when we didn't know what they were. We weren't at all upset about them being there....well, except for me when they'd turn the hall light up and down in the middle of the night. This and other supernatural things I've experienced are still a hinderance for me.

nightingalepelican
Feb 7th 2009, 06:41 AM

Ok, does that make sense? Is it at all possible that "demonic" is just the word used for a soul who has left the body but not the earth? It is firmiliar spirits because it's the same person. The "devil" is their ignorance from moving on from worldly pleasures. Look into Near Death stories.

nightingalepelican
Feb 7th 2009, 06:47 AM
they didn't become un-friendly until I got saved in college and realized what they were

study on that quote for a little bit, I'm not calling you wrong. The whole "religion" (not dissing Jesus or the Bible) is based on logic like that. What did you mean by "showing their true selves", is it possible this is due to a change in perception?

Athanasius
Feb 7th 2009, 06:54 AM
study on that quote for a little bit, I'm not calling you wrong. The whole "religion" (not dissing Jesus or the Bible) is based on logic like that. What did you mean by "showing their true selves", is it possible this is due to a change in perception?

Logic like... What?

stillforgiven
Feb 7th 2009, 08:05 PM

I think the change in my spiritual status had everything to do with it and on both sides. From their (demons) view, I was now part of the enemy's camp. It was only after this that physical attacks began. From my view, of course it was a change in perception. I never before knew there was any other option than the one we believed, so I couldn't perceive it in any other way.

shawn_2828
Feb 7th 2009, 08:21 PM
I just wanted some of your guys opinions on spirits and ghosts. I personally believe that it has to do with demons and I have never seen anything myself, but I cant explain away the fact that many "hauntings" have something to do with the previous owner or attendant at a house. For example, my mothers family was pretty religious but when growing up they moved into a an old house that was "haunted" and they actually saw a figure walking down their steps and many other weird things like a piano playing when they didn't even own one. Later they found out a man had committed suicide there a long time ago.
I firmly believe that once your dead your dead. Bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:5 "the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing", which shows to me that someone cant haunt a house because their old life is gone and they are no longer with us period. Until the second coming. But then why all of the stories and sightings of ghosts that look like the people who had died there? And if they are demons why do they pursue to look like and act like someone else who has died?

Well, I believe in spirits, I don't know about ghost. I wonder if ghost are just spirits. Well, I was sitting in my living room one day and I remember saying a prayer. I was watching this guy on television and he said, " If your brave enough and really want to see God say this prayer" So I did.

Then I started looking around the room exspecting to see something I guess. But as I looked in the tv screen, and saw a reflection of the couch where I had stuff laying everywhere. I saw what looked like a figure. As I kept looking it kind of looked like the side of a face, with a turban on its head, and I also say a beard.

I took my camera phone out and took the picture.

After a few days I stared at the picture and to my surprise another face appeared that I did not see before. I'm not sure if it was an angel or what, even others could see the face. The being was near my light. So, you could see the entire face, nose, hair and everything.

This only happend once.

Jeffinator
Feb 7th 2009, 08:49 PM
Well, I believe in spirits, I don't know about ghost. I wonder if ghost are just spirits. Well, I was sitting in my living room one day and I remember saying a prayer. I was watching this guy on television and he said, " If your brave enough and really want to see God say this prayer" So I did.

Then I started looking around the room exspecting to see something I guess. But as I looked in the tv screen, and saw a reflection of the couch where I had stuff laying everywhere. I saw what looked like a figure. As I kept looking it kind of looked like the side of a face, with a turban on its head, and I also say a beard.

I took my camera phone out and took the picture.

After a few days I stared at the picture and to my surprise another face appeared that I did not see before. I'm not sure if it was an angel or what, even others could see the face. The being was near my light. So, you could see the entire face, nose, hair and everything.

This only happend once.

post the picture :D

FaithfulSheep
Feb 7th 2009, 09:16 PM
Ghost/demons are NOT something we should be messing around with nor should we be taking a big interest in. We are to stay away from things of the dark and follow the Light, to follow Christ. Which do you think the Lord would rather see you doing, learning more about demons and ghosts or learning more about Him?

Demons are very real and are not I repeat not something that we should be dabbling around with. They are not of the Lord.

shawn_2828
Feb 7th 2009, 09:38 PM
post the picture :D

I would but it is in an old camera phone, that I do not use anymore.

Joe King
Feb 7th 2009, 11:27 PM
I have never had an encounter with a demon or 'ghost'. I doubt that I will because of the Holy Spirit within me. I do believe I have entertained angels like scripture says we might.

Jeffinator
Feb 7th 2009, 11:59 PM
I have never had an encounter with a demon or 'ghost'. I doubt that I will because of the Holy Spirit within me. I do believe I have entertained angels like scripture says we might.

What do you mean entertained angels?

Joe King
Feb 8th 2009, 12:50 AM
What do you mean entertained angels?

Hebrews 13:2 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=13&verse=2&version=31&context=verse)
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

cnw
Feb 8th 2009, 03:29 AM
Ephesians 6:12 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=56&chapter=6&verse=12&version=9&context=verse)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Yes we entertain Strangers and angels and sometimes I believe fallen angels which are demons. Before I was saved I had a lot of demonic presence. When I got saved, my husband wasn't yet and I got to deal with a very different side of the "ghosts". When my husband got saved a short time later, we learned how to "evict" demons out of our home. We have to do this often when we have certain company and after we stay at hotels (if anyone has an answer or explanation on how they join us from htere let me know). It is realizing that God is the authority and demons are present all the time just as the verse says. It is spiritual wickedness and not a game or something to dwell on because Satan will use that to his best ability.
I think someone had the key when they said the father got saved and could help fight and pray. I really think a lot has to do with the Father who is the Spiritual leader (regardless of faith) of the home.
ok I should have stayed away from this thread cause I am home alone and I know my husband can't pray over me...I am thankful that he is free from sexual sin which used to cause a horrible demonic attack on our home when he wasn't there. When the husband/father is free from bondage Satan doesn't have a demonic stronghold.

ChrisTheMan71
Jul 26th 2010, 10:26 PM
Ephesians 6:12 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=56&chapter=6&verse=12&version=9&context=verse)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Yes we entertain Strangers and angels and sometimes I believe fallen angels which are demons. Before I was saved I had a lot of demonic presence. When I got saved, my husband wasn't yet and I got to deal with a very different side of the "ghosts". When my husband got saved a short time later, we learned how to "evict" demons out of our home. We have to do this often when we have certain company and after we stay at hotels (if anyone has an answer or explanation on how they join us from htere let me know). It is realizing that God is the authority and demons are present all the time just as the verse says. It is spiritual wickedness and not a game or something to dwell on because Satan will use that to his best ability.
I think someone had the key when they said the father got saved and could help fight and pray. I really think a lot has to do with the Father who is the Spiritual leader (regardless of faith) of the home.
ok I should have stayed away from this thread cause I am home alone and I know my husband can't pray over me...I am thankful that he is free from sexual sin which used to cause a horrible demonic attack on our home when he wasn't there. When the husband/father is free from bondage Satan doesn't have a demonic stronghold.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying here... Were demons following you back to your home after you stayed at a hotel? Did guests you had over to your house bring demons along with them? Just wondering, since apparently none of these things have ever happened to me.

I am a single guy, live alone, have friends over - Christian friends, have stayed in many motels in the past - due to traveling on the job, and earlier on in my walk with Christ I prayed that I would never ever see these demonic things.

Also, I have checked out some of the Ghost Hunter types of shows in the past year or so and have noticed that I have never seen anything that the Ghost Hunters sometimes apparently see. There is just never any hard evidence that I can ever see. I am not sure if these "demons" just don't show up on TV in the first place, possibly a demonic act in itself, or if I am being shielded from seeing this even though it might be viewable on TV for other people to see. Hard to tell.

For those of you possibly worrying about me watching this stuff and possibly getting involved, I was just occasionally watching it "critically" as a Christian. I eventually got bored with it and figured I was just wasting my time with it.

Take care
Chris

P.S. Sorry I am reviving an old thread. If anyone wants to reply still that would be interesting.

decrumpit
Jul 26th 2010, 10:34 PM
For those of you possibly worrying about me watching this stuff and possibly getting involved, I was just occasionally watching it "critically" as a Christian. I eventually got bored with it and figured I was just wasting my time with it.

And interesting thread zombie you have here! :lol:

I had no idea people here were so superstitious! Where in the Bible do we see ghosts? Are the dead present with the Lord (or in hell) or do they have some unfinished business here on earth?

ChrisTheMan71
Jul 26th 2010, 10:41 PM
And interesting thread zombie you have here! :lol:

I had no idea people here were so superstitious! Where in the Bible do we see ghosts? Are the dead present with the Lord (or in hell) or do they have some unfinished business here on earth?

My understanding is that it is not the case, only demons. I was just questioning in the back of my mind whether or not the people involved in the Ghost Hunters types of shows are sincere or not. That is the issue I am mostly wondering about. It is a big thing on cable TV. There are at least three or four different shows on where they are doing exactly the same thing. I am beginning to suspect that these people on TV are not lying about what they see.

tunnelend
Jul 27th 2010, 04:42 AM
I Samuel 28: 7Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

8And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

9And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

10And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

11Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

14And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

tunnelend
Jul 27th 2010, 04:52 AM
I have had experience in this. A friend of mine's brother died who was an alcoholic. He was told the gospel of Christ and just refused to stop drinking and moved into a tent so he could drink. After he died, he followed me and just kept asking me to help him. I finally turned and told him that I cannot help you and to leave back to his grave until judgment in the name of Jesus and it never bothered me again. The holy spirit inside is the only spirit of truth that I want.. ( I have had other experiences..but, I just felt to share that one)
Have great week in the Lord Jesus

Frecs
Jul 27th 2010, 12:00 PM

We have to do this often when we have certain company and after we stay at hotels (if anyone has an answer or explanation on how they join us from htere let me know). It is realizing that God is the authority and demons are present all the time just as the verse says. It is spiritual wickedness and not a game or something to dwell on because Satan will use that to his best ability.

When I go into a hotel room the first thing I do is anoint the room and pray, casting out any demonic presence attached to the room from previous guests. That way, I'm not troubled while I'm there or attaching to me or mine.

If you have company that frequently brings demonic spirits with them to your house, you need to do advanced prep before they arrive. Place a hedge of protection around your property and your family. That way, anything that comes along with your company knows it ain't welcome to stay.