PDA

View Full Version : christian friends?

orangecupcakes
Feb 5th 2009, 11:59 PM
I don't really have alot of christian friends, who can help me, and give advice, and help me grow [and vice versa]
there aren't very many [hardly at all, sadly] at my church.
so where can I find some godly friends?

Athanasius
Feb 6th 2009, 05:57 AM
When you say there aren't very many at your church, do you mean there is a group of people, you simply don't know many of them. Or there is no group of people to know (or a very small group)?

In Dust and Ashes
Feb 6th 2009, 05:19 PM
I had that problem in college. I never clicked with the christian people I ran into and it was hard for me to really make the right friends, but they're around. I'd say, if you can't find some friends in the church groups you're in, look at other churches in your area and visit their youth ministries or bible studies. You don't have to change churches, but you can participate in other church's events. Find out about christian events going on around your area, too. Stuff like that is pretty helpful in getting you connected with people.

greenrangerx
Feb 6th 2009, 07:19 PM
You could also check to see if your school has a bible study. If it doesn't, maybe you could try and start one, then you could meet some fellow Christians in your school.

In Dust and Ashes
Feb 6th 2009, 07:23 PM
I love power rangers. :)

Followtheway
Feb 6th 2009, 08:05 PM
find friends and help them to find the Lord. As our master Jesus says "make disciples"

In Dust and Ashes
Feb 6th 2009, 08:09 PM
That's all well and good, but christian friends are essential to have for the support that they give you. You can be a friend and a witness to as many nonchristians as you're capable of meeting in your life, but without the community of other believers, you're more likely to fall into sin than help anyone out of it.

Scubadude
Feb 6th 2009, 09:14 PM
It isn't necessary to separate friends between christian/non-christian. You don't know what the Lord is doing in the hearts of the friends you have out side of church. Maybe you could find out? God is more than capable to lead in any situation. Just enjoy your friends and keep talking to the Lord. He will make the struggles meaningful in their own time.

Followtheway
Feb 6th 2009, 11:08 PM
That's all well and good, but christian friends are essential to have for the support that they give you. You can be a friend and a witness to as many nonchristians as you're capable of meeting in your life, but without the community of other believers, you're more likely to fall into sin than help anyone out of it.

Under those circumstances it would be useless to be a missionary then, because that is what they do they go to a place where there are no christians, and befriend them. Soon enough there are many new believers, in fact thats mostly what the disciples did, generally Paul since we know he was all by his lonesome alot of times.

In Dust and Ashes
Feb 6th 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm an MK. All missionaries need a church with fellow believers to commune with. Sometimes it's at a distance (sending prayer requests through email) but God set up the church so that we will always be in fellowship with other believers. We uphold each other and hold each other accountable for our deeds. Trust me, if you don't have the christian support and backing of real christian friends, it is SOOOOOO easy to just slip right into what everyone else is doing--no matter how hard you're trying to be a christian witness to them. Speaking from the point of view of my relationship with God, the worst times in my life were when I didn't have any christians friends to rely on. We're not meant to be alone. We're meant to be a part of a body. We can't function without the rest of that body to help us.

If I could go back, I would search harder than anything to find a strong christian friend for my freshman and sophemore year of college. That's when I really screwed up the most and the whole time I needed someone that shared my beliefs and morals to ask for advice and encouragement from.

edit: Also, Paul had fellowship with other believers. In all of his letter's he's talking to churches and almost always mentions another believer friend of his who he'll say has been a great encouragement to him.