PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Praying in the spirit

MercyChild
Feb 8th 2009, 10:50 AM
Ok, so I am actually new in Christ, but this is a Biblical Topic, I think. I read the following verse, and don't really understand what praying in the spirit means.....Can someone perhaps help me understand this verse, that it could be more meaningful to me?:blush:

1 Cor14-15
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

shawn_2828
Feb 8th 2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, so I am actually new in Christ, but this is a Biblical Topic, I think. I read the following verse, and don't really understand what praying in the spirit means.....Can someone perhaps help me understand this verse, that it could be more meaningful to me?:blush:

1 Cor14-15
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

When you pray in the spirit, you allow the Holy Spirit to take control and guide you into prayer. Meaning as you are in the spirit, listen to the Holy Spirit as he give you the words to say. Speaking in an unknown tonque is unfruitful for us because we do not know what we are saying.

But God knows what we are saying, because it is the Holy Spirit working through you praying to God.

God is a spirit and we must worship Him in spirit. The Holy Spirit knows everything about you, so who better to help you pray.

So, when you pray in an unknown tongue it is the Holy Spirit praying, not you.

billy-brown 2
Feb 8th 2009, 12:57 PM

1 Cor14-15

Ok, let's see . . .

Many translations of the Holy Scriptures replace the word "tongue" with the word "languages"--and this is a great aid to understanding.

Languages are involved in prayer, and prayer is communion with God.

And so, one can commune with God with an unknown "language" (as supplied by the Holy Spirit and communicated directly to your human spirit devotionally), and pray interpretationally with the known "language" of "natural" understanding.

Also, singing can occur as communion with God also--and in the same manner as prayer.

In each case--whether praying or singing--communion with God is occurring, and it a apparent that the Apostle Paul must have involved himself in this activity a lot (the term "speak" in I Cor. 14:18 should be understood as "pray" primarily):

I Cor. 14:18

18 (http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/14-18.htm) I thank my God, I speak in languages more than ye all:

Secondly, the Apostle Paul was teaching the Corinthians about "how to behave themselves" in the assemblies of the saints--and this has to be taken in account whenever anyone discusses the passage of the OP. Specifically:

1) Paul wanted (other) "languages" to occur--but in an orderly manner.

2) Paul wanted the interpretation of "other" languages in the "language" of natural understanding--for the edification of all.

3) Paul wanted Prophecy to occur--and in the love of God.

Now I know that this synthesis above has come in for a great deal of debate amongst the saints (for a variety of reasons). Some have indicated also that this discipline of "praying (singing) in other languages" has "ceased" in our day (of 2009).

Is this true? What do you think about this? :hmm:

godsgirl
Feb 8th 2009, 01:10 PM
Praying in the Spirit is praying in tongues-it is not "unfruitful" except to our natural mind. It edifies us (builds us up) in the Lord. It is NOT the Holy Spirit praying-but our spirit man. When one is used in the "gift" of tongues-tongues as a message in a worship service--then tongues must be accompianed by the companion gift of "interpretation" so that the church can be edified.

Eaglenester
Feb 8th 2009, 02:26 PM

1 Cor14-15

Do not be deceived by those that wrongly proclaim that praying in The Spirit = praying in tongues.
That is a false doctrine and runs contrary to Scripture.

With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

(Ephesians 6:18)

If praying in The Spirit = praying in tongues, then it would violate Scripture to not pray in tongues.

Praying in tongues CAN (as opposed to must) be ONE means of praying in The Spirit (but not the ONLY one).

To say that praying in The Spirit = praying in tongues is to restrict or limit ones Spirit led praying (and whoever desires to limit our prayer to Yahweh is doing the enemies bidding).

Gregg
Feb 8th 2009, 02:42 PM
I speak English. If I pray outloud in a German or Chinese church (in their country) am I speaking in tongues to them?

Dani H
Feb 8th 2009, 02:50 PM
I pray with my spirit. Even though nothing comes out of my mouth every time. I don't always understand what it is I'm praying for, as there are not always words (like, I'll start out with something specific and then my spirit and the Lord take over, until it is settled, and when it does, I know it). It's activity that takes place within me, touching God, touching the darkness, overcoming things, breaking holds, with the Lord joining in, and I can always tell when He does. Hard to explain.

To be honest, I haven't prayed in tongues in years. I used to, and over time, it has all internalized. And I find it to be just as effective and uplifting ... and powerful, if not more so, because I can do it anywhere, right under people's noses without driving anyone off by what comes out of my mouth (I do that enough in English as it is :)).

Did that help you in any way?

Yukerboy
Feb 8th 2009, 05:24 PM
Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

I believe that this is where praying in the Spirit happens.

For example, a Christian's daughter has leukemia. Let's assume that the will of God is that the child is to pass on within a year. That child has the whole Christian's church praying for her. However, that church does not know the will of God. So while that church prays for God to save the life of the child, the Spirit, knowing the will of God, prays for what they ought and intercedes for them, praying that God will comfort those who will be affeccted by the loss. That God may grant not only the church peace, but also the child.

MercyChild
Feb 8th 2009, 05:28 PM
Ok, so I think I am catching what you guys are saying.......So if one does not pray in tongues, this does not mean that you are not praying in the Spirit, but only one of the means to pray...........and that praying in the Spirit is allowing the Holy Spirit to lead you in prayer?............I think:hmm:

Dani H
Feb 8th 2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, so I think I am catching what you guys are saying.......So if one does not pray in tongues, this does not mean that you are not praying in the Spirit, but only one of the means to pray...........and that praying in the Spirit is allowing the Holy Spirit to lead you in prayer?............I think:hmm:

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. :)

MercyChild
Feb 8th 2009, 05:38 PM
Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

I believe that this is where praying in the Spirit happens.

For example, a Christian's daughter has leukemia. Let's assume that the will of God is that the child is to pass on within a year. That child has the whole Christian's church praying for her. However, that church does not know the will of God. So while that church prays for God to save the life of the child, the Spirit, knowing the will of God, prays for what they ought and intercedes for them, praying that God will comfort those who will be affeccted by the loss. That God may grant not only the church peace, but also the child.

Got that;), so praying in the Spirit, is praying the will of God and not the will of flesh, and the only way we can know what God's will is, is to pray in the Spirit, and does not have much to do with praying in tongues............just His will.

BroRog
Feb 8th 2009, 05:44 PM

1 Cor14-15

Some people mistakenly read verse 14 as if Paul is saying that he actually prays in his spirit while his mind is unfruitful. This is incorrect. In fact, Paul is saying that he does NOT do that. As he says in verse 15, he actually prays with the spirit AND his understanding also.

To paraphrase, Paul is saying something like, "Are you saying that when you pray with an unknown tongue you are praying with your spirit but not with your mind? Why would I want to do that? When I pray with my spirit, I am praying with my mind also. When I sing with the spirit, I am singing with my mind also."

Paul is trying to refute those who are saying, "When you pray in the spirit, you allow the Holy Spirit to take control and guide you into prayer." He is trying to correct misconceptions like this in his letter to the Corinthians because they have gotten the wrong view of true spirituality. In their view, apparently, they learned from paganism that true spirituality is when a person goes into a trance and allows "God" to speak through them. Instead, Paul is trying to help the Corinthians learn that true spirituality is when the Spirit of God interacts with us in the arena of ideas. By contrast to those who say that a person must free their minds and cause them to go blank in order to allow the spirit to work, Paul teaches that the mind is fruitful and aware during those times when the Spirit is communicating with a person or a church. Paul was not a Christian mystic.

Eaglenester
Feb 8th 2009, 05:52 PM

Got that;), so praying in the Spirit, is praying the will of God and not the will of flesh, and the only way we can know what God's will is, is to pray in the Spirit, and does not have much to do with praying in tongues............just His will.

:agree:

:thumbsup:

:amen:

MercyChild
Feb 8th 2009, 05:52 PM
SPaul In their view, apparently, they learned from paganism that true spirituality is when a person goes into a trance and allows "God" to speak through them. Instead, Paul is trying to help the Corinthians learn that true spirituality is when the Spirit of God interacts with us in the arena of ideas. By contrast to those who say that a person must free their minds and cause them to go blank in order to allow the spirit to work, Paul teaches that the mind is fruitful and aware during those times when the Spirit is communicating with a person or a church. Paul was not a Christian mystic.

Ok, so I catch the first part.
So in the above you mean something like hypnotism or meditation or something in that line?:o

BroRog
Feb 8th 2009, 06:39 PM
Ok, so I catch the first part.
So in the above you mean something like hypnotism or meditation or something in that line?:o

I think so. Before Paul came to Corinth and before some of the Corinthians became Christians, they would worship in the local temple. As I understand it, the way a person would make contact with the local "god" was to go through a human intermediary, a priestess for instance, who would go into a trance and allow the "god" to speak through her. When she came out of the trance she had no idea what the "god" said to the worshiper, because in her trance, she had made her mind blank. Usually she would use drugs to help her into this state.

Paul's instructions to the Corinthians should be read in light of this practice as Paul attempts to critique the Corinthian practice and give them the proper perspective on the gifts of the Spirit. The Corinthians tried to understand their new spiritual experience in terms of their previous pagan experience and undoubtedly found correspondence between them. He is trying to disabuse them of their false ideas about the Spirit.

They thought that the Holy Spirit works in the same way as the temple "god" worked. That is, The Holy Spirit takes over the voice and body of a person and "speaks" through the believer. Paul is saying, no, that's not how it works with the Holy Spirit. When we use the gift of prophecy, for example, Paul says that the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet, and not the other way around. Likewise, when it comes to speaking in tongues, the one who speaks in tongues is not in a trance and he or she knows perfectly well what is being said.

tt1106
Feb 8th 2009, 06:54 PM
My understanding of praying in the spirit is allowing the spirit to align your prayers with God's will.

MercyChild
Feb 8th 2009, 07:10 PM
My understanding of praying in the spirit is allowing the spirit to align your prayers with God's will.

Thanx for the input all, I do understand it, so it was not that complicated at all. All I have to do, is stay in God's will. No more questions, as I don't want to create confusion. I am satisfied with the answers, and what I now know................:hug:

godsgirl
Feb 9th 2009, 12:34 PM
I speak English. If I pray outloud in a German or Chinese church (in their country) am I speaking in tongues to them?

No, praying in tongues is praying in languages not known by men.

He who speaks in a tongues, speaks not to man, but to God, indeed no one understands him. 1 Corinthians 14:2

Praying in the spirit definitly includes prayer in tongues. For we have Paul saying,

If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my understanding is unfruitful, so what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit and I will pray with my understanding also, I will sing with my mind and I will sing with my spirit also. 1 Corinthians 14 14 15

Brother Mark
Feb 9th 2009, 12:52 PM

1 Cor14-15

IMO, it's when the Spirit is praying through you. Here's one of my favorite verses on praying in the Spirit...

Rom 8:26

26 And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;
NASB

Sometimes, when He prays, it is so deep, that it is too deep for words. So deep calls unto deep.