PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Malachi, Nahum and Zephaniah

Frances
Feb 18th 2009, 06:18 PM
Malachi
from the foreword in my Bible:-
Malachi, a prophet in (or just after) the days of Nehemiah, directs his message of Judgment to a people plagued with corrupt priests, wicked practices, and a false sense of security in their privileged relationship with God. . . Malachi probes deeply into their problems of hypocrisy, infidelity, mixed marriages, divorce, false worship and arrogance. So sinful has the nation become that God's words to the people no longer have any impact. For 400years after Malachi's ringing condemnation God remains silent. Only through the coming of John the Baptist (prophesied in 3:1) does God again communicate to His people through a prophet's voice.
Mal'akya = Messenger of Yaweh.

Malachi 1

What did I learn of God? - He Loves Israel. He will not accept a defective offering when something better is available. Gentiles will honour His Name and give the best they have to Him. He is the Great King, His Name is to be honoured and His Power feared among all nations.

What did I learn of myself? - I could be as vulnerable as the Israelites in the time of Malachi to drift from my commitment to the Lord. The foundation of my relationship with the Lord is the fact of God's Love. If I don't focus on, and return, His Love, worshipping God may seem a meaningless chore. If I try to do something outside the Lord's Will I will be wasting my time, effort and money, for it will not be a success. Do I honour the Lord? Do I revere Him? Do I give the best I am able, to Him? If not, why do I expect anything from Him? Do I (at least try to) correct misconceptions about behaviour God will accept and what will anger Him? Do I, as a Gentile, honour God's Name? Do I make the mistake of assuming God will accept whatever I choose to give Him?

What did I praise God for? - Accepting Gentile's worship.

What did I pray for? - to be reminded to always give Him the best I am able.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God Loves Israel, but they don't give Him the best they are able to.

gru2000
Feb 24th 2009, 04:54 AM
What did I learn of myself? - I could be as vulnerable as the Israelites in the time of Malachi to drift from my commitment to the Lord. The foundation of my relationship with the Lord is the fact of God's Love.

Amen!

If I don't focus on, and return, His Love, worshipping God may seem a meaningless chore.

We love him because he first loved us!

If I try to do something outside the Lord's Will I will be wasting my time, effort and money, for it will not be a success. Do I honour the Lord? Do I revere Him? Do I give the best I am able, to Him? If not, why do I expect anything from Him?

While we were yet sinners Jesus died for us. We did nothing to deserve it. That's a key idea behind worship. God created you with integrity and dignity. We don't do good things so that we can get somthing back. We live rightly because we wouldn't do anything to offend the one that loves us. On the one hand we pursue God. On the other hand God pursues us.

Do I (at least try to) correct misconceptions about behaviour God will accept and what will anger Him? Do I, as a Gentile, honour God's Name? Do I make the mistake of assuming God will accept whatever I choose to give Him?

We all tend to get distracted by our own righteousness or lack of it, sin. Paul says there are none righteous, no, not one. If you get bogged down in thinking about your goodness it will distract you from thinking about God's goodness toward you. The beauty of what God has done for us in Christ is that we can take all of our thinking about our inadequacies, our sin, not being good enough, and place it on Christ. We can than look away from sin and see the integrity that God created in us. You can love, you can create beauty, you have dignity, you can worship and it was given to you by God.

God will accept whatever you give Him, if you give it to Him in love. That's the story of the little drummer boy. Even if you sin God knows your contrition befor you repent. He will lead you with His Spirit. In His providence He will prepare your way. Praise God!

Thank you for the opportunity to talk about our great God.

Paul

Frances
Feb 24th 2009, 08:25 PM
Malachi 2

What did I learn of God? - His Judgment for priests who mis-represent Him and do not treat Him with due reverence, is most severe; He turns their blessings to curses. He created everyone equally. He doesn't accept worship from those unfaithful to their marriage vows, or who marry those who worship other gods. He hates divorce. He is wearied by those who think he regards Evil as good and that He is unjust if he doesn't agree with their assessment.

What did I learn of myself? - As a Christian and part of the "Royal Priesthood"(1 Peter 2:9NKJV); do I treat God with the reverence due to Him? Do I malign God by the way I interpret His Word? Have I, who worship the one true God, married someone who doesn't? Have I been unfaithful to my marriage partner? Am I true to the Lord? Do I realise how much God hates divorce? (does He make an exception if one marriage partner is found to be homosexual?). Could my view of God be distorted? Does God regard any of my actions as treacherous?

What did I praise God for? - Never changing.

What did I pray for? - his Guidance as I read His Word.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Priests who mis-represent God, and that He hates infidelity.

Quote:- (S.R.N. Chamfort) " there are more people who wish to be loved than there are willing to love."
(Lawrence O. Richards)"he decided to leave his wife and 2 teenagers to marry her . . . (he) has never faced the appalling nature of his betrayal . . . (he)and his newe wife go to church regularly; they sing in the choir. But I wonder if he ever senses the terrible fact that the Lord 'no longer pays attention to (his) offerings or accepts them with pleasure."?

Frances
Feb 25th 2009, 05:35 PM
Malachi 3

What did I learn of God? - He foretold John the Baptist, and his birth as Jesus Christ, and that the purity of Jesus Christ would show up the contamination of Sin and enable His people to be Righteous. He will Judge, and witness against sorcerers, adulterers, perjurers, those who exploit wage-earners, widows, orphans and aliens because they do not respect Him. He will return to His repentant people. He never changes - which is the only reason the Jews have not been annihilated because of their disobedience to Him. Not giving tithes robs Him. Giving tithes precedes his Blessings. He listens to what His obedient people say; their names are in His Book; He claims them as his own.

What did I learn of myself? - He is purifying me and will continue until He can see His reflection in me. Have I accepted His Righteousness through Jesus Christ? Do I honour the Lord? Have I submitted my life to Him. When I Sin against the Lord He will leave me, if I repent He will return to me. Do I give the Lord the first portion of my income , and thereby acknowledge everything I have comes from Him? if so He will Bless me by ensuring I have all I need. Does God consider I call good Evil and Evil good? the Lord listens when I speak of Him, does what I say Glorify Him? Do I serve Him in ways that please Him? or please me instead? Am I prepared for His second coming? Am I morally pure? Am I zealous in the Lord's Work?

What did I praise God for? - Jesus Christ. That He never changes. His Judgments are Righteous.

What did I pray for? to give the full tithe to Him willingly - especially in times of low income and high expenses.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Prophecy regarding John the Baptist and the Messiah (Jesus Christ), not give the full tithe is robbing God and He claims those who honour Him as His own.

Frances
Feb 26th 2009, 06:55 PM
Malachi 4

What did I learn of God? – He said the wicked will perish. He will Heal those who fear/respect His Name, and give them power over the wicked. He Promised to send Elijah to encourage family love, which will prevent Him cursing the earth.

What did I learn of myself? – my reaction to Jesus when He comes will be dependant on my reaction to Him now – either I will welcome Him with delight and will joyfully run to be with Him or I will be terrified of the One I have ignored and/or maligned. So, have I accepted the Salvation Jesus Christ offers? If so I have victory, in Him, over those He regards as wicked. Do I realize how horrifying the Day of the Lord will be for those who have heard of Him but not acknowledged Him their Lord and Saviour? Do I demonstrate my love for my parents and children – including speaking to them of Christ’s Love for them?

What did I praise God for? – He always keeps His Word.

What did I pray for? – The Salvation of all my family and friends.

What is this saying in one sentence? – the Day of the Lord.

Quote:- (Amos R. Wells) "God laid upon my back a grievous load,
A heavy cross to bear along the road.
I staggered on, and lo! one weary day
A lion sprang across my way.
I prayed to God, and swift to His Command,
the cross became a weapon in my hand.
It slew my raging enemy and then -
became a cross upon my back again.
I reached a desert and o'er the burning track –
I persevered - the cross upon my back.
No shade was there, and in the cruel sun -
I sank at last and thought my day was done.
But lo! the Lord works many a Blest surprise,
The cross became a tree before my eyes.
I slept. I woke. I felt the strength of 10,
I found the cross upon my back again.
And so through all my days from then to this,
the cross, my burden, has become my bliss.
Nor ever shall I lay my burden down,
For God, someday, will make my cross a crown.

Frances
Feb 27th 2009, 06:27 PM
Nahum
from the foreword in my Bible:- "Nineveh had been given the privilege of knowing the one true God. Under Jonah's preaching this great Gentile city had repented, and God had graciously stayed His Judgment. However, 100years later, Nahum proclaims the downfall of this same city. The Assyrians have forgotten their revival and have returned to their habits of violence, idolatry and arrogance."

Nahum 1

What did I learn of God? - He is Jealous. He takes revenge on all who oppose Him. He is slow to get Angry. He has great Power. He punishes those He considers guilty. His Power is seen in nature, (eg. storms, the power of the sea, and climate change). No one can endure the fierceness of His Anger, or hide from it. He is Good, He is a Strong refuge for those who trust and obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I trust and obey the Lord? If so, He will punish any who harm me. I deserve His Anger, so have I accepted His Salvation? The Lord is my Refuge and Strength, and He is my Peace.

What did I praise God for? - His Salvation and Peace.

What did I pray for? - the Salvation of any who have or will harm me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Wrath for all who fight against Him and His people.

Note:- It is because God is Good that He takes vengeance on wickedness / Evil.

Quote:- (Patrick J. Buchanan) "A modern society that outlaws the death penalty does not send a message of reverence for life, but a message of moral confusion. When we outlaw the death penalty we tell the murderer that no matter what he may do to innocent people in our custody and care, women, children, old people, his most treasured possession, his life is secure. We guarantee it - in advance. Just as a nation that declares that nothing will make it go to war finds itself at the mercy of war-like regimes, so a society that will not put the worst of it's criminals to death will find itself at the mercy of criminals who have no qualms about putting innocent people to death."

Frances
Feb 28th 2009, 09:39 PM
Nahum 2

What did I learn of God? - He will restore the glory of Israel. He ensures those who mis-treat His people will suffer a similar fate.

What did I learn of myself? - I would be stupid to encourage God's Wrath in any way.

What did I praise God for? - He punishes those who do Evil if they do not accept His offer of Salvation.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to live my life to please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the destruction of Nineveh.

Quote::- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Nineveh was situated on 3 rivers, with a canal system that directed water to it's different districts. Once the suburbs of Nineveh were taken, the canal gates could be thrown open, and the city defenses flooded."

Frances
Mar 1st 2009, 06:15 PM
Nahum 3

What did I learn of God? - His Wrath is terrible - no Mercy, only terror and blood. His Vengeance is a reality for the wicked, not a theological concept. His punishments are Just, they fit the crimes against Him.

What did I learn of myself? - My only escape from the Judgment of God for my Sin is to accept the Salvation He offers through the Blood of Christ, and to live in submission to Him (which is not a hardship but a pleasure).

What did I praise God for? - Christ paid the penalty for my Sin!

What did I pray for? - that those who have not accepted the Salvation He offers realise the seriousness of their situation - especially those of my family and friends who regard ceremonies as a substitute for submission to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the future for Nineveh

Frances
Mar 2nd 2009, 07:06 PM
Zephaniah

from the foreword in my Bible:- Zephaniah's forceful prophecy may be a factor in the reform that occurs during Josiah's reign(640 - 609BC), in a 'revival' that produces outward changes but does not fully remove the inward heart of corruption which characterises the nation. Zephaniah hammers home the message repeatedly that the Day of the Lord, Judgment Day, is coming when the malignancy of Sin will be dealt with. Israel and her gentile neighbours will soon experience the crushing Hand of God's Wrath. But after the chastening process is complete, Blessing will come in the person of the Messiah.

Zephaniah 1

What did I learn of God? - His Patience with those who disregard Him has an end. His Wrath is terrible, no one can withstand Him. He will treat those who disregard Him, and everything else He created, in the same way, and remove them from His land. The Day of the Lord will bring distress, devastation, desolation, and darkness - as have various Days of the Lord in history, forerunners of the final Day of the Lord, which will surely come.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I worship the Lord but also worship other gods in some way? Do I do my will instead of His? Do I think (wrongly) the Lord will not do mankind anything but good? Have I accepted every facet of His Salvation? Am I fully submitted to the Lord?

What did I praise God for? - His offer of Salvation.

What did I pray for? - to be warned if I am in danger of turning from the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - What the Day of the Lord will bring.

Quote:- (Lawrence O Richards) "The choice of 'foreign clothing' suggests a rejection of Jewish identity. . . they refused to obey God and in asserting their freedom they lost all sense of spiritual reality. People today seem to have that same insistant desire for 'freedom'. God's ways seem restrictive so they 'turn back from following the Lord'. . . They become trapped, falling victim to counterfeit religions both humanistic and supernaturalistic, to superstition, to confusion, to loss of identity and finally all touch with reality . . . subject to the Wrath of God."

Frances
Mar 3rd 2009, 07:00 PM
Zephaniah 2

What did I learn of God? - His Anger is fierce. he is against those who act against Israel. he will destroy Canaan, the land of the Philistines, and against all other nations who make arrogant threats against His people. He is aweesom. He will destroy all false gods.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I do my best to discover what will please the Lord? Do I obey Him? Does my nation pass laws detrimental to Israel? Are difficulties I and my countrymen face because of the Lord's Anger? If we humbly submit to God we may, yet, escape His Judgment. The Lord is my refuge in times of trouble.

What did I praise God for? - Never deviating from His Love for His people.

What did I pray for? - Peace in Jerusalem, and that my nation will support His people.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Lord's Anger with, and Judgment on, nations opposed to His people.

Frances
Mar 4th 2009, 05:41 PM
Zephaniah 3

What did I learn of God? - He is Righteous. His Judgments are Just. He will remove those arrogantly against Him. He seeks those meek and humble who trust in His Name, and tell no lies. He is the King of Israel. He is Mighty. He will Save His people and rejoice over them. He sings when He rejoices. He will deal with those who afflict His people. He will make His people proud of their inheritance. The Jews will return to Israel.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I obey God? Do I receive His Correction? Do I trust the Lord and seek to know Him better. Do I give Him reasons to 'rejoice over me with singing'? Do I rest in His Love? Do I trust the Lord and seek to know Him better? Do I see beyond present circumstances, and focus on Jesus Christ and eternity with Him?

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to His people.

What did I pray for? - to be faithful to the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the wickedness of Jerusalem, but a remnant true to God.

Quote:-(Charles H. Spurgeon) "I bear my willing witness that I owe more to the fire and the hammer, and the file, than to anything else in my Lord's workshop. I sometimes question whether I have ever learned anything except through the rod. When my schoolroom is darkened, I see most."