PDA

View Full Version : Gift of Being single

Rullion Green
Feb 25th 2009, 06:15 PM
Seems there are a lot of people praying for the gift of tounges ect...

Are there any praying for the gift of being single as explained by Paul ?

But this I say by way of concession, not of command, Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. (1 Cor. 7:6-8, NASB)

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 06:35 PM
Paul clearly states in his letters what parts are his personal opinion and not God-breathed.

The very first command in the Bible is to be fruitful and multiply.

Rullion Green
Feb 25th 2009, 08:55 PM
Dont deny that at all. Paul says it is a gift though

moonglow
Feb 25th 2009, 09:10 PM
Paul clearly states in his letters what parts are his personal opinion and not God-breathed.

The very first command in the Bible is to be fruitful and multiply.

I do believe we have fulfilled that with six billion on the earth...:lol:

This topic is being discussed on one of the shows on the Christian radio station now: http://www.hopefortheheart.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

You can listen online: http://www.hopefortheheart.org/site/PageServer?pagename=brd_listen_online

Hope For The Heart
Singleness:
Single & Satisfied

February 23-27, 2008

Here’s good news for our Single friends: A Single person is not a second-class citizen… And Singleness doesn’t mean “incompleteness” or inadequacy, or that you’re relegated to an unfulfilled, unhappy life! Listen to June Hunt this week on Hope For The Heart as she shares how you can grasp these truths and be Single and Satisfied!

She also talks about the gift of singleness.

1 Corinthians 7

7 But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness.

Its not until down further Paul says this part isn't a direct command from God:

12 Now, I will speak to the rest of you, though I do not have a direct command from the Lord.

Even Jesus mentions those that were not made for marriage...I have to find that passage though...brb.

God bless

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 09:11 PM
I really wonder what happened with Paul. As a Jew, he would have been betrothed around age 7 or 8. Not having a wife is a strange thing for a Jew.

Master Jake
Feb 25th 2009, 09:11 PM
Is it OK if I don't multiple? I've seen the results, they aren't pretty if you want to live a happy and much stress-less life.

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 09:15 PM
I do believe we have fulfilled that with six billion on the earth...:lol:

I understand, but your belief has nothing to do with what God said. :lol:

This topic is being discussed on one of the shows on the Christian radio station now: http://www.hopefortheheart.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

You can listen online: http://www.hopefortheheart.org/site/PageServer?pagename=brd_listen_online

Hope For The Heart
Singleness:
Single & Satisfied

February 23-27, 2008

Here’s good news for our Single friends: A Single person is not a second-class citizen… And Singleness doesn’t mean “incompleteness” or inadequacy, or that you’re relegated to an unfulfilled, unhappy life! Listen to June Hunt this week on Hope For The Heart as she shares how you can grasp these truths and be Single and Satisfied!

She also talks about the gift of singleness.

1 Corinthians 7

7 But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness.

Its not until down further Paul says this part isn't a direct command from God:

12 Now, I will speak to the rest of you, though I do not have a direct command from the Lord.

Even Jesus mentions those that were not made for marriage...I have to find that passage though...brb.

God bless

I'd like to see that passage if you find it.

by the way, I certainly don't think a single person is a 'second class citizen'. I'm merely paraphrasing what God said about multiplying.

moonglow
Feb 25th 2009, 09:25 PM
by the way, I certainly don't think a single person is a 'second class citizen'. I'm merely paraphrasing what God said about multiplying.

Oh I wasn't talking to you...I was simply quoting what is on June's site on her study on the gift of singleness is all. Sorry for the confusion!

If you think God literally wanted everyone married just to have babies...then why didn't Jesus fulfill that command? Or John the baptist? or Paul or many others? Plus not everyone can physically have babies anyway..

Anyway its listed as a GIFT God Himself gives to some people....here is another passage ...the one I was looking for:

Matthew 19:11 “Not everyone can accept this statement,” Jesus said. “Only those whom God helps. 12 Some are born as eunuchs, some have been made eunuchs by others, and some choose not to marry for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.”

This is regards to men of course.

I found this bible commentary about it:

The Adam Clarke Commentary (http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?book=mt&chapter=019)

Verse 11. All-cannot receive this saying
A very wise answer, and well suited to the present circumstances of the disciples. Neither of the states is condemned. If thou marry, thou dost well-this is according to the order, will, and commandment of God. But if thou do not marry, (because of the present necessity, persecution, worldly embarrassments, or bodily infirmity,) thou dost better. See 1 Corinthians 7:25.

Verse 12. Eunuchs
ευνουχος, from ευνηνεχειν, to have the care of the bed or bedchamber; this being the principal employment of eunuchs in the eastern countries, particularly in the apartments of queens and princesses. These are they whom our Lord says are made eunuchs by men, merely for the above purpose.

So born from their mother's womb
Such as are naturally incapable of marriage, and consequently should not contract any.

For the kingdom of heaven's sake.
I believe our Lord here alludes to the case of the ESSENES, one of the most holy and pure sects among the Jews. These abstained from all commerce with women, hoping thereby to acquire a greater degree of purity, and be better fitted for the kingdom of God: children they had none of their own, but constantly adopted those of poor people, and brought them up in their own way. PHILO, JOSEPHUS, and PLINY have largely described this very singular sect; and Dean PRIDEAUX, with his usual fidelity and perspicuity, has given the substance of what each has said. CONNEX. vol. iii. p. 483, edit. 1725. The account is very interesting, and well worthy the attention of every Christian. Among the rabbins we find these different kinds of eunuchs, not only mentioned, but circumstantially described, saris chama, eunuchs of the sun, i.e. eunuchs by the hand of God; men born impotent. saris Adam, eunuchs of men, those who were castrated. And they add a third sort; those who make themselves eunuchs, abstain from marriage, that they may give themselves UP to the study of the Divine law. See many examples in Schoettgen.

He that is able to receive
χωρεινχωρειτω. These words are variously translated: he who can take; let him take it; comprehend, let him comprehend it: admit, let him admit it. The meaning seems to be, Let the man who feels himself capable of embracing this way of life, embrace it; but none can do it but he to whom it is given, who has it as a gift from his mother's womb.

The great ORIGEN, understanding the latter clause of this verse (which I have applied to the Essenes) literally-O human weakness!-went, and literally fulfilled it on himself!

God bless

moonglow
Feb 25th 2009, 09:31 PM
Is it OK if I don't multiple? I've seen the results, they aren't pretty if you want to live a happy and much stress-less life.

The bible makes it clear we don't have to get married. I am not married either...when I was, he committed adultery, was abusive among other things and certainly not a help in raising our son. So I have been raising my son alone pretty much since he was born...but totally on my own since he was almost five and he is 13 now. Most of the time I don't mind it at all actually...unless I am sick then I wish someone was around to help...:rolleyes: Then I usually call my mom for help. God watches over us...He is my son's father and the one I submit too. :)

God bless

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 09:33 PM

Don't ask me. As your Creator.

By the way, my adopted son is the greatest gift God ever gave me (outside of Messiah). Yeah, it's stressful, but life isn't supposed to be stress-free, is it?

Master Jake
Feb 25th 2009, 09:37 PM
The bible makes it clear we don't have to get married. I am not married either...when I was, he committed adultery, was abusive among other things and certainly not a help in raising our son. So I have been raising my son alone pretty much since he was born...but totally on my own since he was almost five and he is 13 now. Most of the time I don't mind it at all actually...unless I am sick then I wish someone was around to help...:rolleyes: Then I usually call my mom for help. God watches over us...He is my son's father and the one I submit too. :)

God bless

Sorry to hear that :cry:

Don't ask me. As your Creator.

By the way, my adopted son is the greatest gift God ever gave me (outside of Messiah). Yeah, it's stressful, but life isn't supposed to be stress-free, is it?

No, but I already have enough stress in my life and don't particularly like kids.

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 09:39 PM
If you think God literally wanted everyone married just to have babies...then why didn't Jesus fulfill that command? Or John the baptist? or Paul or many others? Plus not everyone can physically have babies anyway..

Interesting point. I think I can answer the Jesus question. He wasn't about to leave a widow. That's God's mercy. Plus, as God, that wasn't His mission on earth. I don't think any of us can claim to be on the same mission He was. Besides, He has a bride. Us. And as King, He follows the Torah command not to multiply wives. Silly, but I think there is some validity to it.

John the immerser? I don't know if he has a wife or not. Do you?

It's interesting you bring the physical thing up. Abraham and Sarah didn't conceive until they were almost 100 years old. Isaac and Rebecca prayed for 25 years to concieve. Perhaps we are too impatient these days??

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 09:41 PM
No, but I already have enough stress in my life and don't particularly like kids.

I've found in my life God tests us with that which we are most afraid of. But always a blessing in the end.

watch out!! God just may do something wonderful in your life !! LOL.

Master Jake
Feb 25th 2009, 09:57 PM
I've found in my life God tests us with that which we are most afraid of. But always a blessing in the end.

watch out!! God just may do something wonderful in your life !! LOL.

Please don't even joke like that :sad:

keck553
Feb 25th 2009, 10:04 PM
Please don't even joke like that :sad:

oh man. Back when I was a pagan, I bought this canopy I needed for my pickup from a Gypsy family and the matriarch 'read my palm' as part of the deal and told me I was going to have 11 children. At the time I didn't like kids at all. Scared me to no end.

Of course I didn't have any. Just the adopted son God gave me. :pp

I'm just saying when I asked God to increase my faith and invited Him to test me (in reality to show me how much faith I had), He upset everything I thought I knew I was best at and showed me just how insufficient I really am. Be careful what you ask for, I guess is the point.