PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Jonah

Frances
Mar 5th 2009, 04:08 PM
Jonah
from the foreword in my Bible:- 'Nineveh is North East, Tarshish West. When God calls Jonah to preach repentance to the wicked Ninevites, he knows God's Mercy may follow. He turns down the assignment. When Jonah realises God is serious . . . Jonah goes. Although the preaching is a success, the preacher comes away angry and discouraged and must learn firsthand of God's Compassion for Sinful men.
'Yonah' is Hebrew for "dove".

Jonah 1

What did I learn of God? - He speaks to His people. He requires obedience. He may make life very uncomfortable for those who deliberately turn away from His Directions - and their companions. He does not allow His people to die while they have Work to do for Him.

What did I learn of myself? - God speaks to me, do I heed or ignore Him? Might some of my difficulties be related to my disobedience to God? Do I do all I am able to save another's life? What have I/will I bring on myself because of disobedience to God? Do I acknowledge God always knows best and do what He says, even when I don't agree with His Plans? Do I realise my disobedience to God affect others for ill, and my obedience affect others for good?

What did I praise God for? - He does not intend me to perish.

What did I pray for? - that He nags me if I don't instantly obey Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jonah disobeys God and is swallowed by a great fish specially prepared by God for the purpose.

Frances
Mar 10th 2009, 06:39 PM
Jonah 2

What did I learn of God? - He answers those who cry to Him; those who acknowledge His reality and Power. He must be obeyed, even by a fish, for His Purposes to be fulfilled.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I acknowledge God's Lordship over me, and His limitless Power and obey Him? always ? or only when afflicted in some way? Would I be wise to converse with Him daily, regarding my joys and sorrows? therefore ensuring I automatically talk to Him about, and trust Him with, the outcome of my difficulties? am I fully committed to do God's Will? My past failures do not disqualify me from being used by God now.

What did I praise God for? - He is my Saviour.

What did I pray for? - to be encouraged to turn to Him in joys and sorrows.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jonah, in the belly of a fish, prayed to God and was Saved.

Quote:- (R.S.Torrey)"There is more Joy in Jesus in 24 hours than there is in the world in 365 days. I have tried them both."

Gregg
Mar 11th 2009, 04:51 PM
Hmmm....we were just talking about Jonah last night in our Christ based 12 step group.....I wonder if God is preparing something for us/me that I don't want to do?

Lord if that is the case give the power, wisdom, and courage to do your will. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

Frances
Mar 11th 2009, 05:51 PM
Jonah 3

What did I learn of God? - He doesn't change His mind because His servants are unwilling to obey Him. He takes more notice of actions demonstrating what is in the heart, than in what people say. Hearts turned to Him may prevent calamity.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I tell those totally opposed to God the penalty for their Sin and His offer of Salvation? Do I always, immediately, obey God, no matter how daunting the task? Do I demonstrate my repentance in tangible ways?

What did I praise God for? - His readiness to delay Judgment.

What did I pray for? - More readiness to take on tasks given by the Lord, that I find daunting - knowing He will have prepared the Way and be with me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jonah went to Nineveh, the people turned to God and He had Mercy on them.

Frances
Mar 12th 2009, 06:27 PM
Jonah 4

What did I learn of God? - He is "Gracious and Merciful. His Loving-kindness is abundant. He does not get angry unless sorely provoked. He does not want to harm anyone. He is in charge of wind and weather. He even uses worms to fulfill His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I become angry when those I consider should be punished receive God's Mercy instead? Do I fully appreciate the relief God gives me, from discomfort or misery, that I don't deserve? Have I ever prayed for death to remove me from difficulties or misery? (and later been grateful that prayer was not answered?)

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and Grace.

What did I pray for? - God's Love for other people.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jonah's anger when 'his' plant withered, and God's Mercy for people who deserve punishment.

praisehimalleluia
Sep 3rd 2009, 05:06 AM
the verse Jonah 1:2 speaks "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me" (Jonah 1:2).

Jonah should also have been pleased to learn that the wickedness of Nineveh had come to God's attention. Jonah believed the Assyrians should be judged for their brutality. Jonah's solution: Go...and kill them!

But God has a different message. Go...and WIN them.

God always plans differently in order to save mankind. I learnt to rely on GOD's will thru this book.