PDA

View Full Version : IS God Gods name?

reformedct
Mar 9th 2009, 04:55 AM
The Bible says dont take the name of the Lord in vain.

Question:

is "God" the name of the Lord?

markedward
Mar 9th 2009, 05:11 AM
Exodus 3:14-15 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations."

shepherdsword
Mar 9th 2009, 05:14 AM

Question:

I would stay on the safe side and not use any of his names in vain;)

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 05:17 AM

Question:

The answer is no. "God" is a title taken from the Hebrew Word Elohim, which means "Mighty One." Elohim is plural, but seems most likely to mean "God of gods." The latter being that which makes it plural.

God's name in English is written YHWH or YHVH, and looks in Hebrew like this יהוה

Everytime we see that name in the Hebrew manuscripts, it is replaced in English with the all captiol letters LORD. This is by tradition and not by God's Word. For example, there is nothing telling us not to say God's name. In fact, scripture tells us to declare his name, proclaim his name, glorify his name, etc. Mind you, this isn't a word to be taken lightly. His name represents his eternal nature, his power, his authority, his character.

How do we pronounce it? Many believe we say it as Yahweh. However, this is by adding in the vowel pointers to the 4 letters (YHWH) which gives us the pronunciation Yahweh. I have serious doubts about this pronunciation. Jehovah is another popular usage, but with the letter J being only 500 years old, and there being no J or J sound in Hebrew or Aramaic, this too is doubtfull. For a long time I have used the name Yahuah, because of the way the original pronunciation of the tribe Judah was spoken. Judah, originally Yahudah, is spelled YHWDH. As you can see, the only difference between how the tribe is spelled and how God's name is spelled is the D sound. So if we remove the D from Yahudah, we are left we Yahuah.

Today I am led in another direction, but I do not feel it is right, at least now, to share it on an open board. His name is important, and if I am wrong, I do not want to lead others down that path.

Knowing God's name is important, but we shouldn't get wrapped up too tightly in word games. It was God who confounded the languages, so one can easily make the arguement that all language is inspired by God. That isn't to say we should continue in the tradition of removing God's name from the text and not using it, for that is a tradition not found in his Word.

Bosco

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 05:25 AM
Looking at the other couple of posts, I would like to point something out. A name is a referent, it points at the being it represents. For example, the word DOOR is NOT the rectangular piece of wood which covers the hole in the front of my house. It is the word which refers to it. If my name was Bob, those letters BOB are not me, they point to me. In the same way, the letters YHWH are not God, they point to the eternal self existent one. His name represents who and what he is, his authority, his power, his character. When he commands something, and we do not do it, we are going against his authority, making it useless, vain. I can show you clear and direct verses where not being obedient to God was what caused others to profane his name. Why? Because his authority is in his name. So taking his name in vain is not saying GD, though I HIGHLY do not recommend that! We take his name in vain when we make void or useless his authority.

Pro 18:10 The name of the LORD (YHWH) is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

The righteous do not run into 4 or 5 letters or something that comes out of thier mouth to be safe, they run into his power and authority to be safe.

Bosco

reformedct
Mar 9th 2009, 03:27 PM
Looking at the other couple of posts, I would like to point something out. A name is a referent, it points at the being it represents. For example, the word DOOR is NOT the rectangular piece of wood which covers the hole in the front of my house. It is the word which refers to it. If my name was Bob, those letters BOB are not me, they point to me. In the same way, the letters YHWH are not God, they point to the eternal self existent one. His name represents who and what he is, his authority, his power, his character. When he commands something, and we do not do it, we are going against his authority, making it useless, vain. I can show you clear and direct verses where not being obedient to God was what caused others to profane his name. Why? Because his authority is in his name. So taking his name in vain is not saying GD, though I HIGHLY do not recommend that! We take his name in vain when we make void or useless his authority.

Pro 18:10 The name of the LORD (YHWH) is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

The righteous do not run into 4 or 5 letters or something that comes out of thier mouth to be safe, they run into his power and authority to be safe.

Bosco

thank you very much for the explanation. the reason i asked is because i know a couple of very very godly preachers who knows alot about the bible and doesnt really have a problem saying "OMG!" I knew that he knew we shouldnt take the Lords name in vain, so i figured "God" is probably not Gods name lol turns out to be true technically speaking

daughter
Mar 9th 2009, 03:55 PM

Question:

The "NAME" of the Lord is not just the Name by which He is known to people, it's also His reputation. If someone has a good name, if they are of good repute, they are honoured and respected.

God should have a great "repute" amongst His people, but too often we slander Him, by imputing our own motives and prejudices to Him (look at how He rebuked Job's comforters for just this mistake) and any time we refer to Him in any manner less than honouring, we are taking His Name in vain.

So, casually using "God," or "Jesus", or "Christ" as a curse is not honouring His name, whether they are the exact "name" or not.

Humm...

Well, that's how I see it.

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 03:57 PM

Question:

My opinion is God's name can be anyone who is used to represent him during a particular period in time. He did tell Moses that he would "stand" as God in his place..lol. And scripture does say and the Lord told Pharoah "let my people go"(speaking through Moses of course) There's actually a thread in here that gives the various names of God..wish I could find it here.

Matthew

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:08 PM
My opinion is God's name can be anyone who is used to represent him during a particular period in time. He did tell Moses that he would "stand" as God in his place..lol. And scripture does say and the Lord told Pharoah "let my people go"(speaking through Moses of course) There's actually a thread in here that gives the various names of God..wish I could find it here.

Matthew

I found it for ya man..

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=97473&highlight=Names

God bless.

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:15 PM
Umm does speaking the Lord's name in vain pertain to just saying it aloud..or does this also include when we write it down on paper in vein..or for the wrong reasons? Can anyone answer this for me?

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 04:21 PM
I found it for ya man..

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=97473&highlight=Names

God bless.

A bunch of those aren't names. "Elohim" isn't a name and doesn't mean what they poster said it did. Elohim is what is translated as God, but means Mighty One.

Bosco

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 04:23 PM
A bunch of those aren't names. "Elohim" isn't a name and doesn't mean what they poster said it did. Elohim is what is translated as God, but means Mighty One.

Bosco

So if you call God Elohim..you aren't calling him a name..you are just giving him a title? I mean..aren't names just titles..sorry I'm a bit confused on what you've posted above.

Emanate
Mar 9th 2009, 04:23 PM

Bosco

I agree. That poster seemed to catch more his/her own feelings about what the names mean than actual translations.

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:26 PM
So if you call God Elohim..you aren't calling him a name..you are just giving him a title? I mean..aren't names just titles..sorry I'm a bit confused on what you've posted above.

Names are indeed titles. But there are titles that don't necessarily represent someone's true name.

Emanate
Mar 9th 2009, 04:27 PM

My name is Darin. I have many titles that people call me. Man. Human. Technologist. Darin the magnificient. Darin the beneficient. Darin the shrubber. Darin the silly. Just titles, my name is plain ol Darin.

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:28 PM
So what if the only name someone knows for God is Allah? Does that then mean that they are using the inappropriate name of God?

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 04:28 PM
Umm does speaking the Lord's name in vain pertain to just saying it aloud..or does this also include when we write it down on paper in vein..or for the wrong reasons? Can anyone answer this for me?

I don't personally think is had anything at all to do with speaking it. Although, I assume one could speak it in a way that makes it useless, void, vain. Taking his name in vain or profaning it has more to do with action. But for starters, we need to understand that his name represents his authority. Here is an example of action causing a profaning of his name:

Amo 2:7 That pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same maid, to profane my holy name:

The father and son are breaking a command, and in doing so, are profaning the name (authority, for he is the command giver) of God.

Bosco

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 04:31 PM
So what if the only name someone knows for God is Allah? Does that then mean that they are using the inappropriate name of God?

Allah was the name of a Pagan sun God. Read this please..

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm (http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm)

markedward
Mar 9th 2009, 04:35 PM
"Allah" is the Arabic word for "God".

It is, for all purposes, equivalent to the Hebrew "El".

So if an Arabic Christian only knows Arabic, then chances are they know God by the Arabic word "Allah".

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:35 PM
Allah was the name of a Pagan sun God. Read this please..

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm (http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm)

Okay let's say that hypothetically the thread you posted above is indeed correct. Does that still mean that someone, who only has knowledge of God's name being a particular word or phrase is incorrect. God is everything right? I'm sure God is not as petty and trivial if someone comes to him with a sincere heart and gives him a name that he's not accustomed to. People need to stop getting caught up on words. They do nothing to edify the body as a whole. Remember, knowledge profits little..if there is no love guiding it. God bless in in "Allah's" name.

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 04:36 PM

Act 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

These folks worshipped the God of the bible but did so ignorantly. Did God turn his back on them or send a servant to correct the mistake?

Bosco

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 04:40 PM
Okay let's say that hypothetically the thread you posted above is indeed correct. Does that still mean that someone, who only has knowledge of God's name being a particular word or phrase is incorrect. God is everything right? I'm sure God is not as petty and trivial if someone comes to him with a sincere heart and gives him a name that he's not accustomed to. People need to stop getting caught up on words. They do nothing to edify the body as a whole. Remember, knowledge profits little..if there is no love guiding it. God bless in in "Allah's" name.

I believe we are accountable for what we know. When we come to Christ in faith, we are not expected to be able to do an exegesis on Exodus! We are but babes drinking from the breast, not able to process meat. But as we grow we are given more, and we are accountable for more. The question then becomes, what do you (I speak in general, not YOU) do with the increase in knowledge, accept it or sit on the fence awaiting an alternative?

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

And....

Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Bosco

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:44 PM
Act 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

These folks worshipped the God of the bible but did so ignorantly. Did God turn his back on them or send a servant to correct the mistake?

Bosco

Did he open his heart to the Pharisees? My point is that although God is a God of knowledge..love is important when we impart our knowledge to others. One could call God any name that matched up with the "titles" he refers to himself in "Torah", and they would still not be worshipping the one true God if there was no love in their testimony(as per the example of the Pharisees listed above). One must be careful not to worship God with just their ears, eyes, and the knowledge they think he has imparted upon them..but also with their hearts and spirits. God bless.

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 04:51 PM
Did he open his heart to the Pharisees? My point is that although God is a God of knowledge..love is important when we impart our knowledge to others. One could call God any name that matched up with the "titles" he refers to himself in "Torah", and they would still not be worshipping the one true God if there was no love in their testimony(as per the example of the Pharisees listed above). One must be careful not to worship God with just their ears, eyes, and the knowledge they think he has imparted upon them..but also with their hearts and spirits. God bless.

Well said, and I am not suggesting otherwise.

Bosco

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 04:56 PM
I believe we are accountable for what we know.

Sometimes we are, and sometimes we are not. Possessing knowledge does not always mean that one possesses wisdom..thus the countless examples of knowledgeable men in the scriptures..who had no understanding of God. My hope would be that God has mercy on me and everyone else, including even those who deem themselves very knowledgeable in his word. God bless.

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 05:02 PM
Sometimes we are, and sometimes we are not. Possessing knowledge does not always mean that one possesses wisdom..thus the countless examples of knowledgeable men in the scriptures..who had no understanding of God. My hope would be that God has mercy on me and everyone else, including even those who deem themselves very knowledgeable in his word. God bless.

Brother, we are all at God's mercy because NOBODY has all facets of truth, nobody! With that said, we strive to understand as much as we can, then pray for the wisdom to use it. The reason I began to use the name Yahushua in my private life, prayer, etc., was because I reached an impass in my faith where I began to question everything. When I worked through it, I knew that if I was going to walk this walk, that I was going to "try" to do it as closely as I could to those who walked with him. Now this is a daunting task in 2009 Amerika (K intended), but we do all we can because we love God and want to walk as close to him as we can. I have indeed felt a closeness in using Yahushua, after all, it is what he heard with his own ears. (or a close variation of it) Is that for you? Maybe not today, maybe not ever, I am not your judge and quite frankly wouldn't dare get in the middle of your walk with God. I share my views, certain things I have been blessed to understand, while always seeking to glean new insight from others. I can do no more!

Bosco

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 05:07 PM
Brother, we are all at God's mercy because NOBODY has all facets of truth, nobody!

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree. We do have facets of truth..that being the Holy Spirit. How else would we discern right from wrong..truth from error.

With that said, we strive to understand as much as we can, then pray for the wisdom to use it.

Agree here. We can only know as much and understand as much as the spirit imparts upon us.

The reason I began to use the name Yahushua in my private life, prayer, etc., was because I reached an impass in my faith where I began to question everything. When I worked through it, I knew that if I was going to walk this walk, that I was going to "try" to do it as closely as I could to those who walked with him. Now this is a daunting task in 2009 Amerika (K intended), but we do all we can because we love God and want to walk as close to him as we can. I have indeed felt a closeness in using Yahushua, after all, it is what he heard with his own ears. (or a close variation of it) Is that for you? Maybe not today, maybe not ever, I am not your judge and quite frankly wouldn't dare get in the middle of your walk with God. I share my views, certain things I have been blessed to understand, while always seeking to glean new insight from others. I can do no more!

Bosco

One can only do as much as God has purposed them to do. Thanks again for you're insight. God bless.

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 05:10 PM

Understood. My point was that possessing knowledge is something that is indeed important within this walk. You can see from the thread I've posted above, origins of words can indeed give us a better understanding of what is being said. God bless.

Big Jake
Mar 9th 2009, 05:19 PM

Bosco

The Acts verse you are referring to has little to do with the name given on the altar..but instead the practices Paul found within various churches in Athens. Paul explains to the Athenians..that God himself isn't one who is worshipped by temples created by men's hands, but instead is worshipped in the spirit of truth and love. If you have the time..you may want to read the entirety of Acts 17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2017). We rest in him not because of anything that man has done with his hands, but because of the mercy God has extended to mankind through the death of his son. God bless.

bosco
Mar 9th 2009, 05:23 PM
The Acts verse you are referring to has little to do with the name given on the altar..but instead the practices Paul found within various churches in Athens. Paul explains to the Athenians..that God himself isn't one who is worshipped by temples created by men's hands, but instead is worshipped in the spirit of truth and love. If you have the time..you may want to read the entirety of Acts 17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2017). We rest in him not because of anything that man has done with his hands, but because of the mercy God has extended to mankind through the death of his son. God bless.

That verse shows that man can worship the true God and do so ignorantly. My point, God is bigger than pronunciations and words, he has a place for all with a pure heart! You say Jesus, I say Yahushua. You say God, I say Elohim. Are either right or wrong? While using names and titles as used by his disciples might be closer to what was said and done during Messiah's days of the flesh, he is God, and thus is bigger than words he confounded to begin with.

What does rest in him mean? How do you currently rest in him?

Bosco

Alyssa S
Mar 9th 2009, 05:23 PM
Brother, we are all at God's mercy because NOBODY has all facets of truth, nobody! With that said, we strive to understand as much as we can, then pray for the wisdom to use it. The reason I began to use the name Yahushua in my private life, prayer, etc., was because I reached an impass in my faith where I began to question everything. When I worked through it, I knew that if I was going to walk this walk, that I was going to "try" to do it as closely as I could to those who walked with him. Now this is a daunting task in 2009 Amerika (K intended), but we do all we can because we love God and want to walk as close to him as we can. I have indeed felt a closeness in using Yahushua, after all, it is what he heard with his own ears. (or a close variation of it) Is that for you? Maybe not today, maybe not ever, I am not your judge and quite frankly wouldn't dare get in the middle of your walk with God. I share my views, certain things I have been blessed to understand, while always seeking to glean new insight from others. I can do no more!

Bosco

Amen!

As I have said elsewhere on this Forum, when we fall inlove with someone, we want to know EVERYTHING about that person. We want to know where they came from, who their family is, how they think, what they are feeling, what makes them happy, brings them joy, and what we can do FOR them to serve them and SHOW them how very much we love them. When we fall inlove, we want to dive into the other person's life and learn every detail about them...and we usually can't get enough...at least in the beginning. :lol:

Doesn't our Father deserve at LEAST the same amount of respect?

Why on earth would we not want to know the true name of our Father? If I were free to remarry, and IF I were to fall for some guy, I would certainly want to know the dudes real name! I'd want to know all about him just so I could be as close as possible. That's LOVE!! :hug:

God bless!
Alyssa

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 05:24 PM
Understood. My point was that possessing knowledge is something that is indeed important within this walk.

I never stated that it wasn't.

You can see from the thread I've posted above, origins of words can indeed give us a better understanding of what is being said. God bless.

Yes, but as you've seen from another poster in this thread..word origins can be tricky and convoluted..often times based on deception and various doctrines of men. The church is filled with all kinds of convoluted doctrines today, on the basis of people creating entire doctrines out of a few words taken from a single verse..translated, mistranslated, re-translated etc. This is why it's important to not get too caught up in words, and focus on worshipping God in spirit..like you yourself have alluded to above. God bless you.

Friend of I AM
Mar 9th 2009, 05:48 PM
This thread has got me very confused...with all of the links/definitions/greek origins etc pointing to the appropriate "name" to call God. So to clarify...is the common consensus among people in here that when we worship God in spirit, we are not worshipping him because of the power of his name...but because of the power of his spirit?

Just_Another_Guy
Mar 9th 2009, 05:56 PM
This thread has got me very confused...with all of the links/definitions/greek origins etc pointing to the appropriate "name" to call God. So to clarify...is the common consensus among people in here that when we worship God in spirit, we are not worshipping him because of the power of his name...but because of the power of his spirit?

John 4:24
God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.

That would be my thought.

Ta-An
Mar 9th 2009, 06:01 PM
Okay, for a short time this old thread is being made available .... it contains valuable information,,,just go see.

Thanks
ACCM

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=1410

davidharding
Mar 21st 2009, 03:00 AM

Question:

no, that is a title. Jesus said, I come in my Fathers name and the Holy ghost will come in my name. What is that name? the Lord Jesus Christ! That is the NAME of the Father, Son, and Holy spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ.

bosco
Mar 21st 2009, 06:51 AM
no, that is a title. Jesus said, I come in my Fathers name and the Holy ghost will come in my name. What is that name? the Lord Jesus Christ! That is the NAME of the Father, Son, and Holy spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ.

What if in the Hebrew mind, the word "name" as related to God represents his power and or his authority? Messiah comes in his Father's name (how do you come in a collection of letters?) or does he come in the Father's authority? When we gather, 2 or 3 of us in his name, are we gathered in a collection of letters or are we gathered in his authority? The name of YHWH is a strong tower the righteous run into and are safe, how do those 4 letters make you safe? Does it make more sense that we run into his power and authority to be safe?

Bosco