PDA

View Full Version : who was king in Jesus' time.

mortehoe
Mar 12th 2009, 07:29 PM
When Jesus was born whicH king Herod was King? And also when Jesus died who was king then?

Thanks.

trance750
Mar 12th 2009, 08:28 PM
When Jesus was born, Herod was King. He died and his son (also named Herod) assumed the throne. He was the one Pilate sent Jesus to, in order to have Him interrogated.

mortehoe
Mar 12th 2009, 09:50 PM
The reason I ask is that I have read that Herod the Great was the king who ordered the babies to be killed when he heard Jesus had been born but if he died in 4BC how is this possible? On trying to find answers I see that there are more then one King Herods. It gets a bit confusing.

Thank you.

markedward
Mar 12th 2009, 10:54 PM
Jesus was born around 5-4 BC. The Gospels depict Jesus' birth as taking place shortly before the first Herod died. Herod died in March or April of 4 BC. Hence, Jesus was likely born in late 5 or early 4 BC.

trance750
Mar 12th 2009, 11:00 PM
Jesus was born around 5-4 BC. The Gospels depict Jesus' birth as taking place shortly before the first Herod died. Herod died in March or April of 4 BC. Hence, Jesus was likely born in late 5 or early 4 BC.

Ok, then who was the one that ordered all newborn in Bethlehem to be killed? I always though it was King Herod, who was trying to save his own crown and throne, hoping one of the killed would be Jesus.

keck553
Mar 12th 2009, 11:02 PM
I know this is going to sound silly, and off the OP's intent, but Jesus was (King). Anyway, that was my first thought before I thought about Herod.

markedward
Mar 12th 2009, 11:04 PM
Ok, then who was the one that ordered all newborn in Bethlehem to be killed? I always though it was King Herod, who was trying to save his own crown and throne, hoping one of the killed would be Jesus.It was the first Herod.

trance750
Mar 12th 2009, 11:07 PM
I know this is going to sound silly, and off the OP's intent, but Jesus was (King).

True. Herod wasn't even King (that was a title he bestowed upon himself) he was a Roman and his official title was Governor of Judea

keck553
Mar 12th 2009, 11:08 PM
also known as

"little puppet"

markedward
Mar 12th 2009, 11:09 PM
Factually, no, Herod did not bestow himself the title of king. He was voted "King of the Jews" by the Roman senate. But yes, he was a "client king" to the Romans.

And no, Herod was not a Roman. He was an Edomite/Idumaean by ancestry.

manichunter
Mar 12th 2009, 11:29 PM
Factually, no, Herod did not bestow himself the title of king. He was voted "King of the Jews" by the Roman senate. But yes, he was a "client king" to the Romans.

And no, Herod was not a Roman. He was an Edomite/Idumaean by ancestry.

True kind sir indeed,

He was also part Jewish by a grandparent. He also was a token observer of that days Judiasm as His official religion (really a closet pagan), built a part of the Temple in Jerusalem to pacify the Jews. Hence He tried to claim to be Jewish but the Jews really never accepted Him. His people were cousins to the Jews via Esau who was the twin brother of Jacob, the son of Isaac.

mortehoe
Mar 13th 2009, 07:27 AM

Is that why they changed BC to BCE?
If Jesus was alive in Herod the great time and Herod died 4BC, that means that Jesus died 4 years before he was born (4BC).
Or are the dates not know exactly?

Thanks.

markedward
Mar 13th 2009, 01:38 PM
Is that why they changed BC to BCE?No, this was done for Political Correctness. Non-Christian people didn't like the idea that their calendar years were according to the "Birth of Christ" (BC), so they changed it to a generic meaning, "Before the Common Era" (BCE). The downside for them is, the number is still reckoned according to Christ.

If Jesus was alive in Herod the great time and Herod died 4BC, that means that Jesus died 4 years before he was born (4BC).What? How does Christ being born in 4 BC and Herod dying in 4 BC mean that Christ died "4 years before he was born" in 4 BC?

Christ was born around 5/4 BC. Herod died in 4 BC. Christ didn't die in 4 BC. He died sometime around 30-33 AD.

mortehoe
Mar 13th 2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry I got myself confused: I meant born not died.

Thanks for putting me straight. Sorry for my mistake.