PDA

View Full Version : Mothers

Shining_Star
Mar 16th 2009, 11:45 PM
As it's coming up to Mother's Day here in the UK, I felt inspired to write this post. :)

What is your relationship like with your mother, and/or, if you have a daughter, what is that like?

What have you learned or inherited from her (either good or bad!) and what do you appreciate most?

I'm going to come back to this and share, but just thought it would be nice to take a moment and celebrate motherhood and daughter-hood (:lol:?)

CoffeeCat
Mar 17th 2009, 12:43 AM
:) Nice topic! Mother's Day is in May, in North America, but let's jump right in!

My mom's awesome. When I was younger we didn't see eye to eye, per se, but I bet a lot of teens could say that. Now, we're really close. We laugh a lot, go out together, enjoy "girl's nights" whenever I visit her at home. I respect her for all that she's done, and for being as strong emotionally as she is. She's a wonderful, funny woman..... and lately, I've really been blessed to see her mischievious side! She's opinionated and strong, and it encourages me when I visit my dad, and he cringes and says "ack! You're too much like your mom!" :lol:

I thank God for her. :)

SethElijah
Mar 17th 2009, 12:59 AM
My mom and I were bitter toward each other when I was growing up, we hardly got along. Now we are best friends, literally. We work together, carpool together, and girls night out consists of my mom and sister coming to my place for dinner and movies. I inherited her temper, not so good, and PMDD, even worse. I also inherited her maternal drive and maternal instinct. I wish I had inherited her cleaning habits....;)

3janis3
Mar 17th 2009, 02:21 AM
I have been pretty close to my both my parents all my life. Now that my parents are getting older, some of her attitudes bother me, but I try not to dwell on that too much. She is a pretty generous person. SethElijah, I also wish I had inherited her cleaning habits! LOL

I am pretty close with my daughters. One is married with two kids of her own. She and her family live about an hour from me, but her husband is going into the air force, so they will be further away from me! My other daughter is 13. So far, she is sweet and not doing all those teenage, frustrating things! LOL

I visit a lot with both my grown daughter and my mom. We like to get together and visit and laugh! :-)

miepie
Mar 17th 2009, 08:41 AM
I had problems with my mum in my youth too....... we got along way better once I got out of the house to a place of my own....... Then she started to have a hard time accepting my disease and we clashed sometimes...... but now it seems like she has accepted it more and we get along very well....... I love her very very much....... I have inherited some from her, some from my grandma and I am glad I didn't inherited her cleaning habits! :lol: But since Charles is doing the household, they do look a lot like hers! :eek: but if I could.......... :hmm:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

Shining_Star
Mar 17th 2009, 11:27 AM
Like many others, I had some difficulties in my relationship with my mother while I growing up... especially in my late teens, and when I went away to university. It just felt difficult, and I resented her 'interfering' in my life! I have come to discover though, that she usually is right... about everything. ;)

But our relationship is now really strong. I love who she is and admire her many strengths. She works really hard at her job, and she is a great mum. She is very strong - mentally and emotionally - which I admire, because I'm not really like that at all...

My parents adopted me as a baby, and so I guess genetically we are not too similar! I don't look like her at all. Sometimes it makes me sad that we are not more alike, and I sometimes feel very aware of our differences.

In a nutshell, I don't know what I would do without her! We get on really well now, as friends as well as mother/daughter, and she gives great advice and gives me perspective when I am struggling with something.

Dani H
Mar 17th 2009, 01:26 PM
I haven't seen my mom in almost 18 years. I really miss her. Growing up it was difficult because of who she married, but we have a really good relationship now. Especially since I've managed to get over myself and stop judging her for doing the best she could. She's a wonderful lady and I love her deeply. I have to stop now cause I'm getting teary eyed. I really miss her. :cry:

steelerbabe
Mar 17th 2009, 02:12 PM
For all those who still have their moms - cherish every moment:( My mom passed away when I was 22 from breast cancer:cry: We were very close except when I was 15 (rough time). She was the kindest, most loving person in the world. She lived her faith everyday and if I can be half the mother she was, I would be honored.

turtledove
Mar 17th 2009, 03:44 PM
My mom died in 1973 but I think of her often probably even more than I did in the years after she died and I was so involved in my own family. It will be good to see her and my older sister (now gone too) someday when we are all home with the Lord together.

With my older daughter I have a really solid and good relationship even though we don't agree on everything..but then who does? Right now she has two children who are going into their teens so she has some of the same challenges I had with our three children. Granted different too, however, in lieu of these times in which we now live. Also since her children are now involved with friends and activities more than they once were so she and I do things together more than we did. I like that. Actually she is a very good friend as well as a great daughter. We go to different churches..but we are both committed Christians so we can share many things from that commonality. She is also a career business woman who is married to a teacher and coach..so I am pleased the Lord provides time for us to get together. Mostly it's with family and sometimes extended relatives; but sometimes just the two of us go to a concert or something together too. We always celebrate Mother's day..for both of us together including other family members. :)

Ninna
Mar 17th 2009, 06:48 PM
I agree that we should cherish every moment we have with our mothers. My mom died in 1996 when I was 40....and I still did not have enough time with her - I still miss her and wish I could talk with her, but I know I will see her again in Heaven!:pp

I have a 32 year old daughter (biological) and an 18 year old daughter (adopted) and have a wonderful relationship with both daughters...I couldn't love them more or be more proud of my daughters - even when we disagree (and we do sometimes)!!

kayte
Mar 17th 2009, 10:50 PM
I lost my mom to cancer when I was 17. I miss her, too. She was a great mom!

My daughter (married, with kids of her own) is amazing and we're very close. I couldn't be more proud of her.

I don't really know what traits I got from my mom. Shortly before she passed on, she told me that I was her daughter that she saw as the 'involved mom'. The one that would spend lots of time with her kids and all the neighborhood kids would want to be at our house whenever they could. She told me that knew I was going to be a good mom. (I was pregnant with my daughter at the time.) It was like a blessing and I've always cherished it and tried to live up to it.

Borean
Mar 18th 2009, 04:49 AM
I want to be a mother so badly it can bring me to tears to see children sometimes. We need to adopt due to health issues on my part but we are so poor I wonder if it will ever happen. :cry:

KJo
Mar 19th 2009, 04:27 PM
I miss my mama desperately.
My daddy died when I was 15 and Mama 11 months later, 1 month after I turned 16.
I was the baby of the family and a Daddy's girl, then when he died all my brothers and sisters were married and me and Mama got really close.
She missed my Daddy so bad I like to think that is why God called her on home.
When I get sick I always want my mama and I am 48 years old. The thing that has always stayed with me is I can close my eyes and see my mamas eyes so clearly, she had beautiful eyes.
I think of them both every day.
If you still have your Mother you are blessed!! No one will ever be to you what she is.

karenoka27
Mar 19th 2009, 04:35 PM
What is your relationship like with your mother, and/or, if you have a daughter, what is that like?
My mother admires me but she doesn't like me. She never has. I never had that mother/daughter relationship with her. She lives near me and I see her often but she doesn't like me...:rolleyes:
I have the best relationship with my children that any mother could ever want. They live in three different states,but I talk to them almost every day....I am blessed.

What have you learned or inherited from her (either good or bad!) and what do you appreciate most?
I learned that hugging your children is very important. My mother never hugged us..ever. And I learned that you never leave your children on the phone or anywhere without saying "I love you." I never heard that as a child either. But I learned from it.

aliveinchrist
Mar 19th 2009, 04:50 PM
As it's coming up to Mother's Day here in the UK, I felt inspired to write this post. :)

I'm going to come back to this and share, but just thought it would be nice to take a moment and celebrate motherhood and daughter-hood (:lol:?)

Hmm....you really wanna hear the story?

My relationship with my mom is pretty much non-existant. I refuse to have one with her. She's irresponsible, petty, and two-faced. She gets pleasure out of causing problems for other people and she's very vindictive. She left us, divorcing dad, when I was like 7 or 8, and she takes no responsibilty for it...or anything for that matter. Her solution for her problems, is running away. She never came to see us in all the 10 or so years she was gone. I feel no need to try to have a relationship with her, when she didn't feel she needed to have one with us.

I inherited her wanting to run away from problems, unfortunately. I also inherited her "wandering foot", or traveling need.
I learned from her to not run away from problems.
And there is nothing to appreciate.

Sorry to be the dead beat here in all this. :lol: But that's how it is with me and my mother.
Ask me how the relationship is with my dad. :lol:

steelerbabe
Mar 19th 2009, 07:26 PM
What I learned from my mom was to never judge someone. When others would talk terrible things about other people, my mom would pray for them and always try to see the best. She always said you don't know someone unless you walk a mile in their shoes. I don't think I ever heard her say a bad word against anyone.

aliveinchrist
Mar 19th 2009, 08:08 PM
What I learned from my mom was to never judge someone. When others would talk terrible things about other people, my mom would pray for them and always try to see the best. She always said you don't know someone unless you walk a mile in their shoes. I don't think I ever heard her say a bad word against anyone.

My mom could stand to learn a thing or two from your mother. She's ALWAYS talking bad about SOMEONE. Especially my dad and my dad's side of the family.

beckisted2004
Mar 21st 2009, 09:05 PM
I have the best mom in the world! I always strived to be an independent kid, but my parents would always call me the "independent Mama's girl." :lol: My mom stayed home with us and was so involved in our lives. She was our Girl Scout leader, a Sunday School teacher, and was always involved in our classrooms. She'd come in and teach lessons about cultures around the world and bring in the best birthday treats ever. I have 2 older sisters and my mom would go out of her way to make each of us feel special and unique. She made learning fun and always pushed us to reach our full potential. She loved us like crazy. She always made sure that we had little homemade treats and little notes in our lunch boxes to let us know she loved us and was thinking about us.

She always made a unique birthday cake for each of us catering to our personalities and likes at the time. She would create a learning opportunity out of everything and taught us to be responsible for our things and our words and actions at a young age. I remember making a "Scripture Cake" one year with my mom (the recipe was a list of verses that would lead you to the ingredients). I remember one time she went out of town and she made a tape of her reading each of our favorite stories that my grandma would play to put us to sleep at night. My mom always made sure that we had special things, but that we never became greedy by getting everything we wanted.

My mom taught me everything. She taught me how to cook, how to care for a family, how to love a husband, how to serve others, how to put others above yourself, how to take care of a household, how to push myself to reach my full potential, how to memorize Scripture, how to learn life lessons in everyday things, how to view all people with respect, how to work out problems responsibly and respectfully, and so much more. I would be lost without her. She and my dad travel quite a bit now, but when she's in the country, I call her almost everyday. I am blessed by her beyond belief. I can only hope that I'll be able to be half the mother she was to me when we have kids.