PDA

View Full Version : Jesus, The Friend of Sinners

ConqueredbyLove
Mar 22nd 2009, 10:56 PM
Jesus, Friend of Sinners

And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

One aspect of Christís character that most endears me to Him is He never turns away sinners who come to Him.

The woman in this true story was known in the city as a sinner. Imagine how she must have felt to be labeled a sinner! The guilt and shame must have been unbearable.

For this is what sin does unless our conscience is seared. It brings guilt, shame and disgrace to the one in sinís captivity. And the downward spiral gets worse as we try to cover up our shame.

However this woman experienced a flicker of hope as the stories came to her about Jesus of Nazareth, for it was the publicans, sinners, broken and guilt-ridden flocking to Him. She came to believe that He was the One who could help and forgive her and He did as at the end of the story assuring her that her faith had saved her.

Oh, what a beautiful friend of sinners He desires to be to us! Notice how He turned and looked upon her as an individual and affirmed her to the proud Pharisee! As He kept His eyes fixed in love upon her He noticed every detail of her loving acts. He defended her while Simon was critical. What joy, hope and relief this must have brought to her. Finally One recognized her worth and value after perhaps years of hiding behind shame and guilt.

We desire to hide from God when we sin. But it is His desire for us to come to Him, pour out our hearts to Him and learn of Him. As we do this we will be set free from our sins, guilt and shame.

Let us turn to Him today. He will defend us against our critics.