PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to intrude, BUT....

JaybeeinBibleForum
Mar 29th 2009, 08:26 PM
...I am fascinated with the Afrikaner nation, it's people, and it's mindset. I am British and have spent 10 years in IT, during which I came into contact with a great many of your countrymen/women.

The impression of them in common I have is that they are extraordinarily good at their jobs; I have found there is an almost fanatical emphasis on quality, by them, no matter their profession, age or gender. I have met Afrikaners from 23 to 60, ranging from a Group Director to a stripper. Out of the two-dozen or so I have met, I have met MAYBE one who was slightly unambitious. Yes, I realise that it's precisely the most ambitious who have the sheer drive to get on a plane and forge careers in the most unknown of places, that you don't get on that plane if you're a wallflower, but this emphasis on sheer excellence is no coincidence.

I attribute it - theoretically, of course - not simply to a "Make-do" mentality fostered by decades of enforced isolation, sanctions, and essentially a 3rd world infrastructure to build upon, but to a deeper, cultural yen. South Africa, like America, was built by pioneers. That spirit has found refuge in hard work, hard AND inspired work.

Anyway, I would be grateful to read the opinions of you 'Saffers' - and I ask you all tonight....

"Hou gaan dit met jou?"

:)

(Moderators - if you consider this thread offensive, please do not hesitate to delete it, and if it does offend, I offer my apologies in advance.)

Ta-An
Mar 29th 2009, 08:48 PM
Dit gaan goed met my baie dankie :), en met jou??

Indeed, the Saners ( 'Saffers' ) can put shoulder to the wheel and give an honest days work to their employer.
The fact that so many of our children has gone to look for greener grass is... well I am sure you know why, it is a very heartsore story, but nou-ja.... it happened.

JaybeeinBibleForum
Mar 29th 2009, 09:28 PM
Dit gaan goed met my baie dankie :), en met jou??

Me?? Baie goed, dankie... Sometimes I think God is better to me when He treats everyone else more harshly...frag mich nicht waroom!

By the way, some of my colleagues used to describe a nice girl as a 'Kiff Maysee"...just HOW do you spell that?? Moise? Meijse???

paidforinfull
Mar 29th 2009, 11:48 PM
Me?? Baie goed, dankie... Sometimes I think God is better to me when He treats everyone else more harshly...frag mich nicht waroom!

By the way, some of my colleagues used to describe a nice girl as a 'Kiff Maysee"...just HOW do you spell that?? Moise? Meijse???

Hi Jaybee - thanks for stopping by for a chat. You spell that word 'meisie' (meaning girl / young lady). Sorry, I have no idea what the 'Kiff' means :hmm:

Anyway, what you said about South Africans being hard workers is actually quite true - mostly. My husband and I have been working abroad in Paraguay and Taiwan for the past thirteen years, and everywhere we go people mention that to us. My parents live in NZ, and we heard the same thing when we visited them there.

I think it is just the way South Africans are brought up - to work hard and well isn't seen as an option, but a given. It's also not mostly those going abroad either - it's the same in SA as well. An honest day's work for an honest day's pay, and all that.

Have a wonderful day, and God bless.

Ta-An
Mar 30th 2009, 08:20 AM
Jaybee, it is an excellent compliment, Thank you, and it is true, that when the Saners go overseas they get "Preference" employment .... yet there now has been talk that others can't employ a Saner if they have a qualified native citizen to fill the job.

I find that the Saners have become like the "Jews" spread out over the world, you find groups of Saners all over the world, that means we no longer can speak Afrikaans when you want to say something thinking nobody can understand us... ;)

"Kiff" = 'Oulik' = smart/nice/perfect..... in that line

You speak Dutch? So you can understand what we say :D I think it is easier for us to understand Dutch tho...

JaybeeinBibleForum
Mar 30th 2009, 10:40 AM
Jaybee, it is an excellent compliment, Thank you, and it is true, that when the Saners go overseas they get "Preference" employment .... yet there now has been talk that others can't employ a Saner if they have a qualified native citizen to fill the job.

I find that the Saners have become like the "Jews" spread out over the world, you find groups of Saners all over the world, that means we no longer can speak Afrikaans when you want to say something thinking nobody can understand us... ;)

"Kiff" = 'Oulik' = smart/nice/perfect..... in that line

You speak Dutch? So you can understand what we say :D I think it is easier for us to understand Dutch tho...

I can't speak Dutch, but I CAN speak German, and so I was able to intuit which section of the Afrikaans subforum I could post:

Afrikaans - Alles, en nog wat.
German - Alles, und noch was.

:)

Ta-An
Mar 30th 2009, 11:16 AM
:idea: Yes Ok, German and Dutch both in the roots of Afrikaans :D