PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible study - Numbers

Frances
Apr 15th 2009, 05:41 PM
Numbers

from the foreword in my Bible:-
"... most of the book. . . describes Israel's experiences as they wander in the wilderness. the lesson is clear. While it may be necessary to pass through wilderness experiences, one does not have to live there. For Israel an 11day journey became a 40year agony. . . "Numbers' has also been called "In the Wilderness" "Book of Journeyings" "Book of Murmerings" and "4th Book of Moses".

Numbers 1

What did I learn of God? - He spoke to Moses. He tells His people what to do. He is specific. He gives specific people specific jobs. Did He want to know how many men over 20 years comprised His people, or did He want them to know how large an army they had, to be encouraged?

What did I learn of myself? - God knows my name and who my ancestors were. He gives me specific Work to do for Him. I represent my whole physical, and spiritual, family - am I a worthy representative? Do I try to encroach on a job specifically given by God to someone else? Do I do precisely what God says? Can He count on me to fight for Him and represent Him as He would want me to?

What did I praise God for? - He knows each individual by name, and their ancestry.

What did I pray for? - to remember that I represent my family, and other Christians, in all I do.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God told Moses to have the male Israelites over 20years counted - by specific people.

Frances
Apr 16th 2009, 06:18 PM
Numbers 2, 3 + 4

What did I learn of God? - He gave precise instructions for camping arrangements, and who was to lead each family group of His people - which looked at from the air may well have looked like a cross with the Tabernacle in the center (if similar width family groups were arranged, reaching north, south, east and west ). He insists that those who serve Him follow His Instructions. He knows each of His servants by name and ancestry.

What did I learn of myself? - although I have not chosen my wider family I am part of the whole group in God's eyes. Do I fulfill my God-given tasks? I would do well to remember the greatest preacher or advisor would not be comfortable in their role if no one had replaced the toilet-rolls.

What did I praise God for? - Indicating immediately after the Exodus the means He had chosen for the Salvation of mankind, by the formation of His people in a cross when camping and traveling.

What did I pray for? - to fulfill the role He has assigned to me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Instructions regarding camping and traveling.

Frances
Apr 17th 2009, 03:58 PM
Numbers 5

What did I learn of God? - He ensures that His people know what is His Will. He desires to keep His people free of the infections that plague mankind. He regards all Sin as being unfaithful to Him. Restitution for Sin must be made. He made provision for jealous husbands.

What did I learn of myself? - If I have anything infectious I must keep away from other people. Every Sin I commit is my being unfaithful to the Lord. I must confess the Sin and make restitution to the one wronged - and thank the Lord for His Sacrifice on my behalf. No curse will have any effect on me if I am innocent of Sin.

What did I praise God for? - His sacrifice for me.

What did I pray for? - to be aware of proposed unfaithfulness to Him before I commit any Sin.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Infection must be isolated; confession if Sin and restitution, also concerning marital unfaithfulness.

Frances
Apr 18th 2009, 04:43 PM
Numbers 6

What did I learn of God? - He gave Aaron (through Moses) the wording for Blessing His people.

What did I learn of myself? - If I, as a Christian, consecrate myself to the Lord's Service, as Christ died in my place, it no longer entails not eating or drinking any part of a grape, or my hair not being cut, or not going near a dead body. Also, as a Christian and therefore a priest, I may ask the Lord to Bless others, keep them, make His Face shine upon them, be Gracious to them lift up His couontenance upon them, and give them His Peace.

What did I praise God for? - that He will Bless those I ask Him to, in the way He knows is to their greatest benefit.

What did I pray for? - to be a Blessing to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Law relating to Nazarites and the Aaronic Blessing.

Frances
Apr 19th 2009, 04:45 PM
Numbers 7

What did I learn of God? - He ensures provision is made for the Work that He leads. He speaks to His obedient people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I give the Lord the best that I am able to?

What did I praise God for? - that He has Blessed me with sufficient to give back to Him for His Work.

What did I pray for? - to always give Him what He requires me to for His Work.

What is this saying in one sentence? - What the tribal leaders gave for the Lord's Work in the Tabernacle.

Quote:- (Frances Ridley Havegal)
"Master speak! Make me ready
when Thy Voice is truly heard.
With obedience glad and ready
still to follow every Word.
I am listening Lord for Thee.
What hast Thou to say to me?"

Frances
Apr 20th 2009, 05:54 PM
Numbers 8

What did I learn of God? - He speaks to His people. Physical work in the Lord's service was to be started at 25 years and end at 50 years, although they could then 'attend to needs".

What did I learn of myself? - I must follow the Lord's minutest instructions. Have i been purified by the Blood of Jesus Christ? have I offered myself to Him to fulfill His Purposes? Am I wholly submitted to the Lord? It is important that I live a holy life.

What did I praise God for? - the opportunity to serve Him for the rest of my life.

What did I pray for? - that I am aware of everything in my life that must be cleansed before I can serve the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Arrangements of the lamps ;and preparing the Levites for Service to the Lord.

Frances
Apr 21st 2009, 06:09 PM
Numbers 9

What did I learn of God? - He is not always in a hurry to move
His people forward but increases their understanding and trust in Him, and willingness to wait for His Guidance day and night first. His relationship depends on the experience of Salvation (from the Red Sea and/or Sin)

What did I learn of myself? - Do I take part in ceremonies that remind me of the Lord's Power and Care?(eg. the Communion service reminds me that Jesus Christ died paying my penalty for my Sin and that if I don't trust Him I will be responsible for paying my own debt). Do I look to the Lord for Guidance in all things? Do I always heed what He says? When I became a Christian my pilgrimage started, and will continue till I die.

What did I praise God for? - Teaching me to wait for His Guidance.

What did I pray for? - To always heed His Voice.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The second Passover and the Lord Guiding His people with a cloud by day and fire by night.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Organisation speaks of discipline, and purity of moral commitment. Without both, our Spiritual journey is sure to be marked by breakdowns and delay.

Frances
Apr 22nd 2009, 05:06 PM
Numbers 10

What did I learn of God? - He wants His people to call to Him when they need help and also to share their joy, and tells them how to use the trumpets when they go to war.

What did I learn of myself? - I may be wise to seek advise from other believers (those who believe God not only exists, but who act on His Word.) so long as I don't allow human advise to take precedence over God's Guidance.

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance.

What did I pray for? - to follow where God leads.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God told Moses to have two silver trumpets made, then the children of Israel left Sinai.

Note:- According to Josephus the two silver trumpets were about 15 inches long. Two such trumpets were taken from the Temple in AD70 and figure on Titus' Arch of Triumph.

Frances
Apr 23rd 2009, 04:40 PM
Numbers 11

What did I learn of God? - Complaining displeases Him. He answers prayer. He may allow His people to recognise their need before fulfilling it. He fulfilled Moses desire (v.29) through Jesus Christ. He is capable of doing what appears impossible. What appears to be His Blessing in answer to prayer may be discipline in disguise, and bring death, for those who complain unnecessarily.

What did I learn of myself? - do I complain about the Lord's Provision for me? Do I covet anything? Do my responsibilities weigh too heavily on me? I must be careful what I desire as it may become my discipline and death.

What did I praise God for? - His Provision for me.

What did I pray for? - to be satisfied with what I have.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Complaints, quail and elders.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)) "Not all discontent is un-Godly. When our concerns are spiritual, or our needs are real, we should never hesitate to bring them to the Lord."

Frances
Apr 24th 2009, 04:50 PM
Numbers 12

What did I learn of God? - He Protects the truly humble and Defends them. He is Angry with those who belittle them. ( I was taught that true humility is doing God’s Will – which may involve telling someone they are wrong)

What did I learn of myself? - However much the Lord uses me in His Service, lack of humility will incur His anger, and He may humiliate me. Jealousy and pride are lack of humility and expressions of unbelief.

What did I praise God for? - His Protection and Defence.

What did I pray for? - to be protected from all jealousy and pride.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the jealousy and pride of Aaron and Miriam.

Note :- "Anaw" that Hebrew word that describes Moses attitude suggests the absence of pride that allows complete dependance on God.

Frances
Apr 25th 2009, 05:26 PM
Numbers 13

What did I learn of God? - He encourages His people to make all necessary preparations for what lies ahead, and trust Him more by recognising his Faithfulness.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I make sensible preparations for what God has told me to do? Do I focus my mind on difficulties or his Faithfulness in all circumstances? or concentrate on the size of problems I can see. Do I trust men or God? Do I interpret life's challenges according to God's Faithfulness or my unbelief? Do I commit spiritual suicide by not trusting God?

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness and encouragement.

What did I pray for? - to always focus on His Faithfulness in spite of big difficulties.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Spies were sent to the Promised land, two were eager to go at once, ten were afraid.

Quote:- "Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
Then the things of earth will grow strangely dim -
In the Light of His Glory and Grace. . . ."

Frances
Apr 26th 2009, 05:11 PM
Numbers 14

What did I learn of God? - He is Longsuffering and abounding in Mercy. He Forgives iniquity and transgressions, but allows the consequences of Sin to continue to the 4th generation. He departs from those who repeatedly Sin against Him. His Glory will fill the earth.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I heed God or man? Do I trust God no matter what others say? Do I remember the Lord's Power? Am I in danger of rebelling against the Lord once too often? Am I filled with God's Spirit? or has He left me? Would I really like the Lord to act in the way I've spoken of Him? Do I act in faith or presumption? My disobedience to the Lord will be severely Judged. Going ahead of God, or lagging behind Him are both evidence of my rebellion against Him. Does unbelief stop me attaining my "promised land"? Does my failure to trust God enough to obey Him have unforseen and unfortunate consequences?

What did I praise God for? - being Powerful Longsuffering and Merciful.

What did I pray for? - to always trust Him in spite of circumstances or appearances.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Israel refused to follow the Lord into Canaan so He sentenced them to death - then they changed their minds, but God was not with them.

Quote:- (Hebrews 3:12-15) "See to it . . . that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving, heart that turns away from the Living God . . . today, if you hear His Voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."

Frances
Apr 27th 2009, 04:33 PM
Numbers 15

What did I learn of God? - He will Forgive unintentional Sin if the perpetrator fulfills His requirements. He will remove from His people those who Sin intentionally, in defiance of His Word. He passed sentence of death on those working on the Sabbath. He realises that mankind are inclined towards Sin, so gave a remembrance of His Law of holiness in tassels with a blue thread in them.

What did I learn of myself? - Because Jesus Christ died in my place, fulfilling the only Sacrifice for Sin necessary or acceptable to God - apart from my acceptance of His Sacrifice with repentance and faith. My unintentional Sin is not viewed as severely by God as that committed presuming He will Forgive me anyway. Do I keep Sunday specially for the Lord? or do I do 'ordinary' things on that day? Do I have something that reminds me (like the blue thread in the tassels) to be faithful to the Lord in every respect?

What did I praise God for? - His Sacrifice on my behalf.

What did I pray for? - Not to presume He will Forgive my intentional sin, but that I will be holy for Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Reminders of God's original Call to Holiness, reaffirmation of God's Promise to take His people to the Promised Land ("after you enter the land") Deliberate sin corrupts the community so must be eradicated, and a reminder of being a 'royal priesthood' (blue thread in tassel).

Frances
Apr 28th 2009, 06:07 PM
Numbers 16

What did I learn of God? - He chooses who He speaks to. His Glory is also seen when He is Angry. He ensures His people have some means of remembering very important occasions. His Patience with Sinners has an end.

What did I learn of myself? - If I try to do something the Lord has given someone else to do I will incur His Wrath. Do I complain against leaders doing the Lord's Will? Do I stand in prayer between the spiritually Alive and the spiritually dead?

What did I praise God for? - He protects those doing what He has chosen them to do, against those who seek to usurp their authority.

What did I pray for? - to always know what/who the Lord wants me to intercede about.

What is this saying in one sentence? – Rebellion against Moses and Aaron, and complaints. . .

Quote:- "Psychologically, it's fascinating that this rebellion was led by Levites, for they enjoyed far greater privileges than the majority of Israelites . . . Even today, some with almost nothing are more than thankful than those who have almost everything . .(are) . . most likely to create discontent."

Frances
Apr 29th 2009, 04:49 PM
Numbers 17

What did I learn of God? - He makes very clear the person of His Choice for a specific task by enabling Fruiit to be borne. Complaints against those He has Chosen for a task offends Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I fulfilling the task the Lord has given me, or trying to do someone else's job? Does what I am doing bear ripening Fruit for the Lord? I cannot force Fruit to grow, only obey the Lord who has the Power and Authority to encourage it to grow. Do I give back to the Lord all He has given me? Spiritual privileges I receive bestow heavy responsibilities as well as well as Blessings.

What did I praise God for? - Being in control of the results of all I do in His Name.

What did I pray for? - that the Lord's Life will be seen to flow through me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Lord made Aaron's rod bear fruit.

Frances
Apr 30th 2009, 04:23 PM
Numbers 18
What did I learn of God? - the tasks and responsibilities He gives people to fulfill for Him are His Gifts to them. He gives some the task of being 'up front' and many more to assist them in apparently less significant, but essential, ways. He is entitled to the best each person has, before every other consideration. Those who receive the tithes of others must give a tithe of it to the Lord.

What did I learn of myself? - Whether I am an 'up front' person or a 'helper' in the Lord's Service, it is a Gift from Him to me. There are dire consequences for trying to take on a role the Lord has given another person. Do I give the Lord the best of everything I have? Am I grateful to Him for all payment I receive for the day to day work I do?

What did I praise God for? - His Provision.

What did I pray for? - to be satisfied with the work the Lord gives me to do for Him, do it efficiently, and not covet other people's privileges.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Duties, tithes and offerings relating to Priests and Levites.

Frances
May 1st 2009, 05:16 PM
Numbers 19

What did I learn of God? - the laws regarding the need for purification
from dead bodies, and anything relating to the dead, assists His people today to understand His abhorrence of Sin, and our need to be cleansed from it by the Water of LIfe offered by Jesus Christ.

What did I learn of myself? - Sin is contagious. Do I allow myself to be in situations where I could be contaminated by it? Jesus Christ died (like the red heifer) to enable me to be cleansed from Sin - when I confess my Sin to God (as Sin, not 'an error of Judgment'), make restitution where possible, and rely on His Promise to Forgive and Cleanse me from all unrighteousness (1John 1:5-10).

What did I praise God for? - His Sacrifice on my behalf.

What did I pray for? - to recognise when my proposed actions will lead me to sin, in advance.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Purification from Sin.

Frances
May 2nd 2009, 05:01 PM
Numbers 20

What did I learn of God? - He is all Powerful. His Instructions must be obeyed in every detail. He decides when it is time for each of His people to die.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I complain whenever things don't work out to my liking. Do I trust the Lord? enough to do nothing when He tells me to only speak? Do I imagine I can improve on God's directions? if so, I will offend Him and suffer the consequences. Does my fear of what may happen prevent me from helping others? I will encounter difficulties, even when following the Lord's directions. The Lord will decide the day of my death.

What did I praise God for? - continuing to use His servants even when their actions prevent Him receiving all the honour due to Him.

What did I pray for? - to trust Him completely.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses struck the rock instead of speaking to it, Edom refused Israel's request to travel the King's Highway, and Aaron and Miriam died.

Frances
May 3rd 2009, 05:03 PM
Numbers 21

What did I learn of God? - When His people pray, in line with His Will, He gives what they ask for. Complaints about His Provision angers Him? He Provided a way of Salvation for His people (He told Moses to make a serpent on a pole so anyone bitten looking at it could live). He enables His people to defeat those who fight against them. He teaches His people that when they believe in, and obey, Him He will lead them to Victory.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I trust the Lord to enable me to be victorious over those who fight against me. Do I speak against God when I am discouraged? Do I complain about the restrictions of my diet? Do I trust Jesus Christ's death in my place to Save me from the consequences of my Sin? Does the way the Lord leads me seem long and difficult? Do folk try to prevent me from following Him? Do I trust Him to defeat those who fight against me? Do I realise that both trust and unbelief are contagious? Do my loved ones 'catch' faith in God, presumption regarding what He is obligated to do, or unbelief, from me?

What did I praise God for? - giving those who trust Him Victory.

What did I pray for? - wholehearted trust in Him, at all times.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the bronze serpent and victory over those who tried to stop them following the Lord.

Frances
May 4th 2009, 04:45 PM
Numbers 22

What did I learn of God? - He decides who He will Bless and who He will curse. He sometimes allows folk to do what they are determined to do but, later, makes His displeasure very clear.

What did I learn of myself? - I can do nothing in God's Name, apart from what He tells me to, without incurring His displeasure. If I try to ‘curse’ God's people I will anger Him. Because I am a Christian I am a threat to those not submitted to Him, and though they may curse me God is committed to Bless me (though maybe not in the ways I might choose). Do I, like Balaam, look and sound pious - but use piety as a front to disguise greed? Being used by God does not signify my piety or holiness - I must remember He could, probably more easily, use a donkey (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings.

What did I pray for? - to always be stopped if I attempt to do anything opposed to the Lord's Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Balak, Balaam and his donkey.

Frances
May 5th 2009, 05:14 PM
Numbers 23

What did I learn of God? - He does not tell lies or change His Mind. No one can curse those He Blesses. He is with those He has Redeemed. The Israelites are His people.

What did I learn of myself? - I cannot curse those God has not cursed (even if I wanted to!). I must always do and say what the Lord tells me to.

What did I praise God for? - He never changes His Mind about anything (including Salvation).

What did I pray for? - to do and say what is His Will without fail.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Balaam's three prophecies in response to Balak's desire that he should curse Israel.

Note:- (Romans 8:31) "If God is for us, who can be against us?" today, too, it is God's Presence that ensures His people's safety and their joyful future.

Frances
May 6th 2009, 05:41 PM
Numbers 24

What did I learn of God? - His Power was/is known by those who don't worship Him. He and, what He says, is respected by His prophets. Did He give Balaam a vision of Christ? He still intends to Bless Israel.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I always true to the Lord? or do I, also, resort to sorcery when He is silent?

What did I praise God for? - His Power.

What did I pray for? - To only say what He is saying.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Balaam did not resort to sorcery as he usually did.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "The point of these last prophecies, however they are interpreted, is to announce the ultimate defeat of all enemies of god's people. Believers do experience opposition as they move towards God's Promised Land. . . But the "the days to come" it is our enemies who will suffer defeat at God's Hand."

Frances
May 7th 2009, 04:37 PM
Numbers 25.

What did I learn of God? - He is angry when His people worship other gods and/or have intercourse with those who do not worship Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I worship other gods? (perhaps without realising I am doing so?) Have I, do I, eradicate all Sin from my life as soon as I realise it is there? If I don't deal with my sin God will, and maybe in unpleasant ways. Do I act to glorify the Lord like Phinehas? Do I allow myself to be seduced? If I truly love God I will hate evil and stand against it.

What did I praise God for? - desiring to stop the contamination of His people.

What did I pray for? - to recognise seduction from other gods, through their subjects.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Phinehas zeal for God stopped the plague.

Frances
May 8th 2009, 05:35 PM
Numbers 26

What did I learn of God? - Families and family trees are important to Him. What He says will happen, happens.

What did I learn of myself? - God knows who all my ancestors were, and each of their failings. Have I forfeited the right to inherit His Promises?

What did I praise God for? - His intimate knowledge of each of His people.

What did I pray for? - to fulfill His purposes for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Lord instructed Moses to hold a census of every male over 20 years, to determine the division of the Promised Land.

Note:- there were only 1820 less men available to fight than there had been 40 years earlier - the disobedient generation were all dead apart from Joshua and Caleb.

Frances
May 9th 2009, 05:26 PM
Numbers 27

What did I learn of God? - He made provision for women as well as men, either through inheritance of land or by a dowary when they married. He ensures His people always have a leader who will lead them His Way.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I believe I will be able to posses the Inheritance the Lord has Promised in eternity? Do I realise I am not indispensable? Do I think of the needs of others? When the life of my Godly leaders comes to an end He will provide others to take their places. (Philippians 2:4) "Each of you should look, not only to your own interests, but to the interests of others."

What did I praise God for? - His foresight and fairness.

What did I pray for? - to always consider others before myself.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Laws of Inheritance for women, and Joshua's inauguration as the next leader of God's people.

Quote:- (H.Wayne House)"Scripture ultimately proves that the apostle Paul had high regard for the work and Ministry of women. Scripture shows that local churches and other Christian Ministries should eagerly endeavour to find fulfilling, effective, Ministries for the Godly women who serve them. . . . Many facets of God's Work stand or fall on the availability of Godly women to lead them."

Note:- It was usual for sons to inherit land and daughters to receive their inheritance as a dowary.

Frances
May 10th 2009, 04:56 PM
Numbers 28

What did I learn of God? - He regularly spoke to Moses. He requires offerings to Him to be at appointed times, not haphazardly; the giver of these offerings gains no benefits whatever from what they offer. He instigated the Passover so His people would always remember that He killed all the Egyptian's firstborn but the Angel of Death passed over those in the homes of His people that had the blood of the sacrifice on the doorpost. He requires His people to remember the food they harvest is His Gift to them. What He requires from His people is very specific.

What did I learn of myself? - do I make regular offerings to the Lord for His Work in the world? Do I expect to benefit in some way from what I give? Do I regularly remember, with gratitude, specific instances of the Lord's goodness to me? Do I thank Him for the food I eat? Am I too casual about fulfilling what God requires from me?(eg. do I expect Him to Forgive me even if I have not repented and/or am not trusting Jesus to have died paying my penalty). Do I manage to walk the fine line between Law and Grace without erring on one side or the other? Is there anything in my attitude to God that needs changing?

What did I praise God for? - His many Gifts of Grace, and that His attitudes never change.

What did I pray for? - to always give Him what He requires from me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Daily, weekly, monthly,
and special occasion offerings to the Lord.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " the daily, week after week, and month after month listing of the offerings is a dual Promise. Israel would surely occupy the land where the offerings were to be made; and that land would prove fertile, rich enough to support the Israelites and to provide generous offerings for the Lord. (the offerings amounted to 113 bulls, 32 rams, and 1086 lambs, plus over one tone of flour and 1,000 measures of oil and wine each year - in addition to any freewill offerings or sin offerings.)

Frances
May 11th 2009, 05:42 PM
Numbers 30

What did I learn of God? - He regards vows made to Him as binding on the one who made the vow.

What did I learn of myself? - My vow could be overruled by father or husband, but only when they first heard of it - their silence implied their consent. If I brake my vow to God I am in Sin.

What did I praise God for? - always keeping His Promises.

What did I pray for? - to be more diligent regarding total obedience to the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Laws concerning vows made to God.

Frances
May 12th 2009, 05:42 PM
Numbers 31

What did I learn of God? - He punishes those who harm His people. He keeps His people safe (none of the fighting men were killed). He encourages His people to trust Him, not only for the present but for the future too.

What did I learn of myself? – I may suffer because of the behaviour of others of my sex. do I take all that the Lord has made available to me? Do I give Him, with gratitude, a proportion of all He enables me to have? As I see the Lord's Faithfulness in the past I am encouraged to trust Him, and do His Will, now.

What did I praise God for? - His Faithfulness to His people.

What did I pray for? - to always be ready to trust Him, and step out in faith with Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - 12,000 of the Israelites went to battle, with God, against the Midianites because they'd turned many of their nation to idolatry; they killed all except 32,000 virgins, divided the plunder and gave God all the gold

Frances
May 13th 2009, 04:21 PM
Numbers 32 + 33
What did I learn of God? - He is only pleased with those who are completely obedient to Him. He regards promises made to Him as totally binding. He ensured there is historical evidence of the results of disobedience to Him. He warns His people of the consequences of disobeying Him completely. He insists that to live at peace His people must completely eradicate all Sin and worship of other gods.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I wholly follow the Lord? or does my behaviour encourage Him to be Angry? Do I make provision for the safety of those who are my responsibility? Do I (wrongly) expect what the Lord has said will happen immediately (the two and half tribes built fortified cities prior to leading their countrymen across Jordan). Do I keep a record of my journeys with the Lord? Have I removed all trace of temptation to Sin from my life?

What did I praise God for? - His warnings.

What did I pray for? - to be aware of, and the strength to remove, all temptation to Sin in my life.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Permission for two and half tribes to make their home east of the Jordan, journey from Egypt reviewed, and instructions for the conquest of Canaan.

Quote(Lawrence O. Richards) "Looking back . . . we'll find many examples of personal failure. . . times when life seemed desolate and empty. But we will also realise that God has brought us through those times, has Guided, Strengthened, and brought us safely to the present moment. Remembering God's Faithfulness helps us to move ahead confidently as we take our next step towards the Promised Land.

Frances
May 14th 2009, 05:13 PM
Numbers 34 - 36

What did I learn of God? - He gave the land of Canaan, enclosed in specific boundaries, to His people Israel for a permanent heritage. He differentiates between those who kill others intentionally and accidentally - the former must be killed at once, the latter have some provision made for them to preserve their life. Although He would provide the land, His people were responsible for maintaining it's purity.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I recognise the land God gave Israel as their land today? I cannot influence those I have no contact with so, like the Levites, I must live among those I seek to lead God's Way. I am responsible for the purity of what I own (eg. if I own a house it must not be used for adultery, fornication or homosexuality).

What did I praise God for? - His Thoughtfulness, and Provision regarding each situation.

What did I pray for? - to always see situations through His eyes.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the boundaries of Israel's land, cities for the Levites, cities of refuge and the marriage of female heirs to ensure ownership of land does not leave their tribe.