PDA

View Full Version : When did Adam's days begin to be numbered?

divaD
May 13th 2009, 03:53 AM
Did his days start at his creation/formation, or did they start after his fall?

Genesis 5::3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

This verse states that Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat Seth. So, where is the starting point of that 130 yrs? Adam's creation/formation, or Adam's fall from paradise? IMO verse 2 tells us the answer.

Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

It seems his days were numbered from his beginning, IOW his creation. What's my point then? It seems that more and more, many people are concluding that the days of creation were unspecified amounts of time, and not literally 24 hour days as we understand time. If Adam's days started being numbered from his creation, then this seems to throw the idea that days, are unspecified amounts of time, right out the door. It doesn't matter that Adam was created as an adult. The text states that he lived 130 yrs from some previous point in time. When was that prev point in time?

THOM
May 13th 2009, 04:07 AM

Genesis 5::3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

This verse states that Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat Seth. So, where is the starting point of that 130 yrs? Adam's creation/formation, or Adam's fall from paradise? IMO verse 2 tells us the answer.

Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

It seems his days were numbered from his beginning, IOW his creation. What's my point then? It seems that more and more, many people are concluding that the days of creation were unspecified amounts of time, and not literally 24 hour days as we understand time. If Adam's days started being numbered from his creation, then this seems to throw the idea that days, are unspecified amounts of time, right out the door. It doesn't matter that Adam was created as an adult. The text states that he lived 130 yrs from some previous point in time. When was that prev point in time?

Excellent point DivaD. And to kinda piggy back on your point, if we STOP trying to take Genesis as anything but Literal, then we won't run into that problem.

If they were actual "days" in Genesis 1, then they were actual "days" anywhere else in Genesis. . .unless the author gives permission to believe otherwise. . .and HE doesn't!

Again, Excellent Point!

crossnote
May 13th 2009, 06:14 AM

I agree that the count started from the 6th day of creation. But in a morbid sort of way I guess one could say on the day when he ate the forbidden fruit, 'his days were numbered!':eek:

Tonton
May 13th 2009, 09:51 AM
I agree that the count started from the 6th day of creation. But in a morbid sort of way I guess one could say on the day when he ate the forbidden fruit, 'his days were numbered!':eek:

:rofl:Bwahaha!

That is so true!

Anton

Butch5
May 14th 2009, 03:29 AM

Agreed, also consider that Moses writes and there was evening and morning the first day. If this is not a literal day, then we have no idea what it is because we have no reference.