PDA

View Full Version : Women and the Bible

trishalla
May 16th 2009, 03:24 PM
I am new here I just getting back into reading the bible! Some one told me that Women are the cause of all the problems of the the world and the bible says so! Now maybe this has been a thread of discussion before and if it has please point me in the right direction so I can find out. if not I would like some insight. Thank you

trishalla
A new poster

trishalla
May 16th 2009, 03:30 PM
help please LOL

ZAB
May 16th 2009, 03:46 PM
I am new here I just getting back into reading the bible! Some one told me that Women are the cause of all the problems of the the world and the bible says so! Now maybe this has been a thread of discussion before and if it has please point me in the right direction so I can find out. if not I would like some insight. Thank you

trishalla
A new poster

Hi trishalla and welcome to the forum :)

As far as your question, I would have to disagree. Haha, I'm sure you're happy to hear that.

I think what causes the problems you are referring to is the way people may view women. This corrupt view has definitely caused many problems, both in the world and in the body of Christ.

The Bible says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:28). There is now no distinction into male and female. In other words, difference of sex makes no difference in Christian privileges. But under the law the male sex had great privileges. Males alone had in their body circumcision, the sign of the covenant; they alone were capable of being kings and priests, whereas all of either sex are now "kings and priests unto God" (Rev 1:6); they also had prior right to inheritances. However, in the resurrection (under the New Covenant economy) the relation of the sexes ceases (Luke 20:35).

The Bible may refer to harlots, foolish virgins, or scornful women, etc. But it also refers to men in the same manner. Anyone who reads those Scriptures and limits them to one sex is simply ignorant. Don't let it get you down. "... A woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised (Prov 31:30).

As far as women in ministry, there were many in the New Testament (1 Cor 11:5; Acts 2:17-18; Tit 2:3-4; Rev 1:6; Rom 16:7; etc). We can start a new thread on this topic if you are interested.

God bless you!

TrustingFollower
May 16th 2009, 03:49 PM
No I don't think we can say all our problems are caused by women. The bible has many examples of God using women to further the church. Don't listen to all the nay sayers that use the bible to suppress women and puff up the men as the only ones that can do God's work. Those that are promoting this line of thought are falling into the sin of pride. God uses all whom submit to him and obey his command.

St-Vox
May 16th 2009, 06:07 PM
I agree with all remarks made above, However, I may ad, woman are still subject to the rules of hierarchy as Paul prescribed. Just because we are at one in the spirit it does not give woman any special privileges as to usurp authority over a man. we still have our mortal bodies to consider. And all mortal bodies one day will be raised incorruptible. :pp

Further, I will not engage in any argument that says a woman is allowed to pastor or have spiritual authority of a church. There are dozens of scripture verse to substantiate that it is God's rule for a woman to be silent in the church. And there is enough arguments over it to fill a city library. So please if you think to head in the direction, do us both a favor and do not include me.:B

-SEEKING-
May 16th 2009, 10:35 PM
It's good to know that Rahab, Ruth, Deborah, Jael, Mary and Priscilla didn't worry too much about human opinion. God used those women mightely. I hate it when people generalize woman like with the OP's question. I can't imagine where I'd be if God had not given my such a wonderful and powerful wife, who loves Jesus and me with all her heart.

truthseeker2
May 17th 2009, 12:09 AM
They were probably referring to Genesis where the woman got conned into taking a bite of the forbidden fruit by the devil and then got her husband to do it as well.

TrustingFollower
May 17th 2009, 03:34 AM
They were probably referring to Genesis where the woman got conned into taking a bite of the forbidden fruit by the devil and then got her husband to do it as well.
Read the story again, but look at the symbology that is there. The woman (Eve) is a picture of our flesh and the man (Adam) is a picture of our spirit. The spirit went along with the flesh when the flesh gave into sin. Then read the story of Lazarus and the rich man to see another picture of the struggle between the flesh and the spirit. Paul summed it up very well in Romans 7 when he said does what he does not want to do and doesn't do what he wants to do. That is the struggle that each of us face daily, the same struggle that every human faced all the way to the first humans.

Romans 7:15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

crossnote
May 17th 2009, 06:04 AM
The woman was deceived but Adam jumped into disobedience pell mell. Ten points for the woman.
Actully the Scriptures state that God chooses the weak things of this world to confound the wise...that is why He chose man to be in authority. :rofl: But it is man's rersponsibility to learn to lead lovingly and not be a tyrant over his family.

St-Vox
May 17th 2009, 10:45 PM
Read the story again, but look at the symbology that is there. The woman (Eve) is a picture of our flesh and the man (Adam) is a picture of our spirit. The spirit went along with the flesh when the flesh gave into sin. Then read the story of Lazarus and the rich man to see another picture of the struggle between the flesh and the spirit. Paul summed it up very well in Romans 7 when he said does what he does not want to do and doesn't do what he wants to do. That is the struggle that each of us face daily, the same struggle that every human faced all the way to the first humans.

Romans 7:15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

Would you say that your picture theory would apply to the christian man and woman today?

Izdaari
May 18th 2009, 03:28 AM
Women and men are the cause of the problems in the world. It was the human race that fell in the Garden of Eden, not half of it. And of course our Enemy has a hand in things too, as he did then. (Note, btw, that Satan is always portrayed as male. ;))

Izdaari
May 18th 2009, 03:35 AM
I agree with all remarks made above, However, I may ad, woman are still subject to the rules of hierarchy as Paul prescribed. Just because we are at one in the spirit it does not give woman any special privileges as to usurp authority over a man. we still have our mortal bodies to consider. And all mortal bodies one day will be raised incorruptible. :pp

Further, I will not engage in any argument that says a woman is allowed to pastor or have spiritual authority of a church. There are dozens of scripture verse to substantiate that it is God's rule for a woman to be silent in the church. And there is enough arguments over it to fill a city library. So please if you think to head in the direction, do us both a favor and do not include me.:B
Yes, of course what Paul wrote still applies. I'm one of Paul's biggest fans. :pp

But I differ with you on the interpretation of it. I agree this thread isn't an appropriate place for a debate on it, nor am I interested in starting one... nor will I participate if someone else does. I just wanted to note that scripturally-based opinions differ on that.

My church (Assemblies of God) supports full equality for women in ministry and always has. For those who are interested, here's our position paper: The Role of Women in Ministry as Described in Holy Scripture (http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Position_Papers/pp_downloads/pp_4191_women_ministry.pdf).

crossnote
May 18th 2009, 04:21 AM
(note, btw, that satan is always portrayed as male. ;))
O-u-c-h!
O-u-c-h!
O-u-c-h!