PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Ecclesiastes

Frances
May 19th 2009, 05:49 PM
Ecclesiastes
from the Foreword in my Bible:- "the key word in Ecclesiastes is vanity(meaningless). the futile emptiness of trying to be happy apart from God . . . power, popularity, prestige, pleasure - nothing can fill the God-shaped void in man's life but God Himself. . . Skepticism and despair melt away when life is viewed as a daily Gift from God."

Ecclesiastes 1

What did I learn of God? - He Created mankind to have Life.

What did I learn of myself? - obtaining great wisdom will only make my grief greater without God in my life; obtaining great knowledge without Him will only increase my sorrow.

What did I praise God for? - giving me His Wisdom and His Knowledge when I need them.

What did I pray for? - the good sense to always heed Him so I obtain His Peace.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Solomon discovered his great wisdom and knowledge just increases his grief and sorrows.

Quote:- "One of the great values of this Old Testament book. . . it's dark outlook forces even the most optimistic individual to re-examine assumptions about the meaning of life . . . . Whatever we may achieve through science or philosophy offers no answer to the question of what makes an individual life meaningful. There is a vast difference between secular and spiritual knowledge. While one can make life more comfortable, the other alone can give our life meaning and purpose."

Frances
May 21st 2009, 06:06 PM
Ecclesiastes 2+3

What did I learn of God? - He, alone, gives true Wisdom, Knowledge and Joy. Nothing can be added to, or taken from, what He does. He will Judge the Righteous and wicked. He is willing to work through those who honour Him.

What did I learn of myself? - No sensual pleasures, or pleasure gained from achievement or accumulating wealth add real meaning to life - each one is 'grasping for the wind'. Do I see the beauty, and enjoy the Gifts God has given mankind. Am I considering where I will spend Eternity, and with whom? Do I praise the Lord for His Workmanship? Am I engaged in doing good for others? Do I see God's Righteousness or mankind's wickedness more readily? God tests me. I have a great advantage over animals - I can know God. Do I allow the Lord to work through me?

What did I praise God for? - the food and drink that enables life, and the enjoyment He gives through labour. The opportunity to know Him.

What did I pray for? - to be content with what I have and not 'grasp for the wind'.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the meaninglessness of pleasures, also that the wise and foolish all die and take nothing with them.

Quote:- (Thomas Carlyle) "Experience is the best of schoolmasters, only the school fees are heavy."

Frances
May 22nd 2009, 05:59 AM
Ecclesiastes 4

What did I learn of God? - Father God, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit are a 'threefold cord' and will never be broken.

What did I learn of myself? - do I pray for the oppressed in the world today? Do I weep with them? Do I pray that they will know the Comforter? and will receive the Peace and Comfort He longs to give? Do I recognise the great Power of the Lord? Do I praise Him sufficiently? Do I envy those who apply themselves to improving their skill and/or knowledge? but not dedicate myself to learning more myself? Do I do all I can to improve my stamina and ability? or relax and envy those who achieve more then I do? Am I satisfied with what I have? Am I a friend to others - with no thought of 'getting' but only of 'giving'? Do I trust and obey Almighty God? Do I trust Jesus Christ to have made it possible for me to receive God's Forgiveness? Am I filled, to overflowing, with the Power of Their Holy Spirit? Am I satisfied with what is possible for me? or do I 'grasp for the wind'?

What did I praise God for? - His unlimited Power.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to know when to work and when to relax, when to strive and when to accept my limitations.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the stupidity of selfishness, and that popularity does not compare with the value of friendship.

Frances
May 23rd 2009, 04:38 PM
Ecclesiastes 5

What did I learn of God? - He is in Heaven. He has no pleasure in fools. Excuses make Him angry. He is worthy of great respect. It is He who gives Life. Health and wealth are Gifts from Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I meet with God to learn or just to talk. Do I realise almost all dreams are self-induced and worthless. Do I keep my promises to God? Am I always honest with Him? Am I satisfied with what I have? or do I crave more? Being able to eat and sleep is a Blessing from the Lord. I can take nothing with me when I die.

What did I praise God for? - the Life I have in Christ.

What did I pray for? - family and friends that don't, yet, avail themselves of His Promise of Life.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Fear God. keep all promises to Him, and the worthlessness of worldy gain and honour.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "How terrible it is to be driven by reason to acknowledge God's existence, but to know nothing about Him! How wonderful that in His Word and in Christ, our God has spoken to us of His Love, Compassion and Salvation" . . . . "When a Christian adopts materialistic values he, or she, has chosen the empty, meaningless, way of life of secular men."

Frances
May 25th 2009, 05:10 PM
Ecclesiastes 6

What did I learn of God? - He may Bless one person so another may benefit. He is Mightier than all people.

What did I learn of myself? - Has the Lord Blessed me in some way specifically so others may be blessed through me? Do I share what I have with others? Am I sufficiently grateful to the Lord for all He has given me? or do I grouse because He has not given me more? Do I make the best possible use of the life the Lord has given me? My life would be meaningless without Christ.

What did I praise God for? - my Life with Him.

What did I pray for? - to use every day wisely and gratefully.

What is this saying in one sentence? - thoughts from an apparently depressed mind.

Frances
May 26th 2009, 04:28 PM
Ecclesiastes 7

What did I learn of God? - His Purposes are sometimes fulfilled by me experiencing adversity or what I assume is 'crooked'. He created mankind 'very good'(Gen.1:31) but Sin destroys what He made.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I have a 'good name' among those who know me best? Am I making preparations for where I will spend Eternity, and with whom? Do I heed correction? or turn away from it? Am I always patient? Do I control feelings of anger? Am I always wise? Do I seek to increase my knowledge? Do I trust God in everything? Am I sufficiently righteous to please the Lord, or do I need His Righteousness? Do I repent all Sin? Does God consider me morally pure in every respect? What do I need to do about it?

What did I praise God for? - using difficulties I face for my own good (Rom. 8:28)

What did I pray for? -to learn whatever the Lord deems necessary through adversity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the value of practical wisdom.

Quote:- (David Starr Jordan) "Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

Frances
May 27th 2009, 05:31 PM
Ecclesiastes 8

What did I learn of God? - All wisdom comes from Him. He is the King of Kings. His Word has Power. He gives Life. No one can discover everything He does.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I heed the Wisdom of the Lord? Do I obey the laws of my nation? (are they Godly laws?) Am I more concerned about man's judgment or God's Judgment? Where I have authority do I always exercise it in a way that pleases God? All will be well (but not always to my liking) because I trust the Lord. My life is a Gift from God - do I use it to glorify Him? I will never know everything God does.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - Godly laws in my nation, and Godly government.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God is in ultimate control of life and death.

Frances
May 28th 2009, 05:01 PM
Ecclesiastes 9 + 10

What did I learn of God? - He Guides the 'works' of the righteous.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I truly righteous? Do I follow the Lord's Guidance 100%? Although I may not have physical advantages over those who do not submit to the Lord, spiritually my advantages are immeasurable. Do I recognise true wisdom? Do I heed wisdom spoken by 'unknown' folk? Do I gain opinions from those who are well-known and shout the loudest? Is my understanding of wisdom coloured by moral deficiency? Do I act foolishly when offended? Am I respected for wisdom or regarded as a fool? Is what I say my strength or my weakness? Am I lazy?

What did I praise God for? - Guiding me.

What did I pray for? - thanksgiving to the Lord.

What is this saying in one sentence? - wisdom and folly.

Frances
May 29th 2009, 05:49 PM
Ecclesiastes 11

What did I learn of God? - How He does things is unknown by mankind. He Judges everyone.

What did I learn of myself? - Some good things I have done for others many years ago have resulted in Blessings for me now. I have no idea how God Created the world and everything in/on it and accomplishes the multitude of things that Bless mankind in general, and me in particular. God Judges whether my life Glorifies Him or not.

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to know who to bless, and how.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Give, and it will be given to you.

Frances
May 30th 2009, 06:36 PM
Ecclesiastes 12

What did I learn of God? - His Commandments must be kept. He will Judge everything, including what is secret.

What did I learn of myself? - I was very fortunate to have Christian parents. One day I will die; has my life honoured God? One day my spirit will return to God - do I fear or rejoice at that prospect? God will Judge everything I have done. Am I putting God first today? - tomorrow may be too late.

What did I praise God for? my parents.

What did I pray for? - wisdom to please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Fear God and keep his Commandments.

Quote:- (Jean Eudes) "He (God) longs to be in you, living and ruling in you, as the head lives and rules in the body. He wants His breath to be in your breath, His heart in your heart . . . so that the life of Jesus may be manifest in you."

goykodesh
Oct 14th 2009, 04:28 PM
posted here in error. Post deleted.

goykodesh
Oct 14th 2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry, I think I posted here inappropriately