PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Domain Renewal Date

PastorMark
May 23rd 2009, 02:51 PM
I have a domain name that I have been watching to come available. It expired on March 9, 2009. It has not been renewed. Yet it is still unavailable for sale. Anyone know why it would not be available yet?

bdh
May 23rd 2009, 05:18 PM
A domain has several distinct pahses of life. I'm not 100% sure of all of them but this is pretty close to it:

ACTIVE

-The domain is functional and can be renewed.

REGISTRY-LOCK

-The domain can not be modified or deleted by the registrar.
-The domain can be renewed.

REGISTRAR-LOCK

-The domain can not be modified or deleted.
-The domain can be renewed.

REGISTRY-HOLD

-The domain will not be included in the DNS zone until it's renewed.
-REGISTRY HOLD status lasts for a period of 40 calendar days after the day the domain has expired

REGISTRAR-HOLD or CLIENT-HOLD

-The domain can not be modified or deleted.
-The domain has been expired but can be renewed without a penalty fee.
-The domain will not be included in the DNS zone.
-REGISTRY HOLD status lasts for a period of 40 calendar days after the day the domain has expired

REDEMPTIONPERIOD/PENDING DELETE RESTORABLE

-The registry sets this status when a registrar requests that the domain name be deleted from the registry and the domain has been registered for more than 5 calendar days (if the delete request is received within 5 days of initial domain registration it will instead be deleted immediately).
-The domain will not be included in the DNS zone because it has expired.
-The domain can not be modified or purged; it can only be restored which would require the domain owner to pay a redemption/penalty fee as well as the renewal fee to renew the domain.
-Any other registrar requests to modify or otherwise update the domain will be rejected.
-The domain will be held in this status for a maximum of 30 calendar days.
-PENDING DELETE RESTORABLE is a status reserved for .info and .org domains

PENDINGRESTORE

-The registry sets this status after a registrar requests restoration of a domain that is in REDEMPTIONPERIOD status.
-The domain will be included in the zone.
-Registrar requests to modify or otherwise update the domain will be rejected.
-The domain will be held in this status while the registry waits for the registrar to provide required restoration documentation.
-If the registrar fails to provide documentation to the registry within 7 calendar days to confirm the restoration request, the domain will revert to REDEMPTIONPERIOD status.
-The domain status will be set to ACTIVE only if the registrar provides documentation to the registry within 7 calendar days to confirm the restoration request.

PENDINGDELETE

-The registry sets this status after a domain has been set in REDEMPTIONPERIOD status and the domain has not been restored by the registrar.
-The domain will not be included in the DNS zone.
-Once in this status all registrar requests to modify or otherwise update the domain will be rejected.
-The domain will be purged from the registry database after being in this status for 5 calendar days. Once purged, the domain will be available to the public for registration.

PastorMark
May 25th 2009, 12:59 AM
So then, it's kind of like doing your taxes.

PastorMark
May 29th 2009, 02:17 PM
It came available and I got it. All I want to do with it now is make the dot come forward to the dot org. But since it's the same name (grahamfriends), I got bamboozled in the creation.

Also, if I type www in the URL it goes to a cgi-bin file. But it without the www it goes to a parked godaddy page with some objectionable material. What's with them!?

Do I just need to let things resolve or...?

bdh
May 30th 2009, 05:52 AM
Don't forward it at the registry. What you need to do is to

1. Change the DNS settings to ns1/2.tld0.net (instructions at the top of the welcome email)
2. Add the domain from your control panel as a parked domain on top of the .org.

More info is here http://webnet77.com/webstuff/parked-add-on-domain.html

If you get stuck and want me to do it for you, email me the login details for the domain registry and I'll set it up.

PastorMark
May 30th 2009, 12:44 PM
I thought I did those things. Obviouisly I did something wrong. Going back to see...

Godaddy had the right DNS pointers.

I had made the dot com into a sub-domain and redirected it. So I removed that as directed, made a parked domain, and redirected that, and voila! (http://grahamfriends.com)

Thanks for your help, Brent. Again.

Master Jake
Jun 14th 2009, 06:12 AM
I thought I did those things. Obviouisly I did something wrong. Going back to see...

Godaddy had the right DNS pointers.

I had made the dot com into a sub-domain and redirected it. So I removed that as directed, made a parked domain, and redirected that, and voila! (http://grahamfriends.com)

Thanks for your help, Brent. Again.

I use GoDaddy too, but everyone else I talk too despises them. Still can't figure that one out.