PDA

View Full Version : Approaching The Throne

undertheblood
Jun 5th 2009, 09:59 AM
[The following is from my cousin's husband, I didn't know if I should put it in "Devotions" or else where.]

APPROACHING THE THRONE

I believe that the Word divides the ‘soul’ from the ‘spirit’, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart [ref: Heb.4:12] .

As one preaches or prays and his mind and heart is not right he is being judged as a hypocrite (word for ‘actor’ in a Greek amphitheater).

The chief end of our prayers should be to glorify God; he is not a ‘mail-order house’.

“Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you”.

If you do not approach Him in the proper manner and the intents of your heart is not right, you will be found out.

I believe we should use the Word only in our association with Him, for the “Logos” is the mind and intent of God given to people, such as we are.

Attached (last page) is a statement by A. W. Tozer, “The Christian Life Is Not Easy”; this explains what I will try to present.

If your heart, motive, and faith are correct He will allow his Spirit to move through you. You will be resisted by every religious cult (notice, I said religious not Spiritual).If we are lukewarm He will spew us out of His mouth.

“So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of My mouth” [Rev. 3:16

“For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ”
[Gal. 1:10]

“As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised (Christ - plus something); only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ” [Gal. 6:12]

Those that hive around doctrines handed down by men, seek to weaken your faith, because they do not want to be persecuted for the cross of Christ. Death is a terrible thing, but the death of flesh while still alive is worse.

Our spirit must touch God’s Spirit. We are responsible for the hindrance. We must place ourselves where God’s mercy can reach us without His having to violate the glorious principles of His moral government. One very great hindrance is to listen to men, who compare themselves among each other to determine who is the greatest.

Another is the fabrication of doctrine to sustain their beliefs:

“Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.” [Prov. 19:27]

“But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men” [Matt. 15:9]

The Lord has impressed on me many times to pray for the deliverance from men’s doctrine.

A great part of doctrine is from “gnosticism”, advocating gnosis (that is, revealed knowledge) brought about by theosophy (beliefs about God and the world based on mystical insight and experiences).

(To its adherents, Gnosticism promised a secret knowledge of the divine realm. Sparks or seeds of the Divine Being fell from this transcendent realm into the material universe, which is wholly evil, and were imprisoned in human bodies. Reawakened by knowledge, the divine element in humanity can return to its proper home in the transcendent spiritual realm. .

“Sin” is a personified power that enters the world to rule over men

The only deliverance is through God’s Son, no other way - no other doctrine - no other god - no other system.

If you pursue spiritual worship you will be separated from most men, you will be branded as a rebel by Satan. I believe you are given a sentence of death by the elemental spirits of the universe.

Having said all of the above, in my opinion there is no other way to be, and the joy of being filled and knowing his presence of being overshadowed by the Holy Ghost and Christ being formed in me over and over as he was in Mary is worth it all.

THIS IS MY MANNER OF APPROACHING THE THRONE

I go into a room where I will not be disturbed or overheard and make it dark as possible and lay on my face trying to quite my mind.

Then I have to command my mind as David did in Psalm 103:1:

“Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name.”

(Note the soul is commanded, not the spirit. This is important for the Word of God separates the soul from the spirit.)

I then start my praise:

a) I praise God for the creation, and His plan of Salvation.
Identify what God you are praising, that is, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Jehovah God, the redemptive God.

b) I then praise Jesus Christ my redeemer for coming to this earth, leaving glory to redeem us.

c) I then praise God the Holy Spirit, for teaching, for presenting Christ, for raising Christ from the dead, and having fellowship with such a one as I.

I then pray this scripture:

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be a white as snow: though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

(I remind God I am a sinner, saved by His grace and ask Him to remember His promise.)

I then pray this scripture:

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” [Psalm 139:23, 24]

Then I lay face down, trying to control my mind and thoughts, so that I can hear His voice, or feel by impression. I then confess what is revealed to me, also what I am trying to hide from Him and people, and ask Him to forgive me of presumptive sins.

I then remind God of His promise[I]. (Unsure what the author is meaning here)

I then quote this Scripture:

“But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all Sin. If we say that we have no Sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (Note the definition of Sin I have given before). If we confess our sins (this is different from SIN), He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us.”

After praying and confessing sometimes I feel forgiven other times I do not. I must accept, by faith, what is written (Mark 11:24), therefore I am forgiven.

Paul, in the following verse, is telling us that SIN, mentioned above, is buried with Christ.

“In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ” [Col. 2:11]

All of this is trying to prepare myself, in my limited understanding, and in my flesh, which I know all too well, to enter were grace abides.

I believe the Old Testament illustrates what Christ has required, that is, we must cleanse ourselves of defilement, as did the priest of old. We cannot claim the privilege of a priest of God and deny the requirements:

“When they go into the tabernacle of the congregation, they shall [I]wash with water, that they die not; or when they come near to the altar to minister, to burn offering made by fire unto the Lord. So they shall wash their hands and feet, that they die not” [Exodus 30:20, 21]

They were entering into the Holy Place and must be clean (I’m not referring to the Most Holy Place, where the Mercy Seat was). In the Holy Place the altar of incense (the place of prayer) was at that time located outside of the veil, only in Hebrews are we told that the altar of incense is now placed inside of the veil.

1) They had to visit the altar first, the place of sacrifice, as we must do.

2) Then proceed to the laver to wash with water; the water is representative of the Word (That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word. Eph 5:26)

3) The altar is where man meets with God.

4) Burnt Offerings, either Incense or whole burnt offerings are indicative of prayers. (Let my prayer be set before Thee as incense…[Psalm 141:2])

Regarding this phrase; “wash with water that thy die not”, note what Christ said.

“If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me (that is; no fellowship). Jesus saith to him, he that is washed (that is, saved) needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean. but not all” {John 13:8b, 10]

When we are washed in his blood we are saved “every whit” but the defilement of the world, the flesh, and the devil, in my opinion makes us unfit to approach the Holy Place, much less the Holiest, the seat of grace and the very throne of God. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I then prepare to enter, , the Holiest where the Apostle and High Priest of our profession - Christ Jesus, abides.

I first quote this scripture:

“Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; and having an High Priest over the house of God; let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water” [Heb. 10:19-22]

I ask that my heart be sprinkled with the very blood of Christ. (Note: In Christ blood is his soul, and in the soul of Christ dwelt God)

“...when thou shalt make His [B]‘Soul’ an offering for sin, He shall see His seed” (...when you make His soul (i.e. the eternal Life (Zoë) of God contained in His blood), an offering for sin)
“...He hath poured out His soul (His soul, His blood, His life - the Life of God) unto death” [Isaiah 53:10, 12]

I then renounce all evil spirits, the spirit of Satan, elemental spirits of the universe, and occult thoughts that I have come into contact with.

I then acknowledge there is only one true God; one Spirit; one savior, Jesus Christ; and openly and orally say that I rest my eternal life on him and no other.

Then I try to visualize my access behind the veil to offer my prayers and wishes. I never say, “if it be Thy Will”, for if I base my prayers on His Word it is His Will.

After this is concluded, I remind myself not to “forsake my own mercy” by being impatient. Unbelief, of myself or of anyone else, is ‘seeds of death’.

“Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience that after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise” [Heb. 10:35, 36]

“And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise” [Heb. 6:11, 12]

Remember the Word of God is the Will of God for us.

“And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us” [I John 5:14]

(Teaching on Eternal Life)

The Life of God indwells the Word, and something mystic is released when we appropriate faith through the Word.

The Word is the Logos. What speech is to thought, the Word (the Logos) is to the mind of God.

“It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the Words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are life.” [John 6:63]

“My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.” [Prov. 4:20-22]

I know that the life being spoken of is Eternal Life; it speaks of our High Priest who reigns in the power of an endless life, Eternal Life, manifested in the flesh (that is, in Christ), the life of God that was in the soul, the blood of Christ. Yet more is to be revealed this is why the Word must be the center of Christian life, along with prayer, etc.

The following scripture has put chill bumps on me over the last 20 years. I understand it in my mind but my spirit (or, the Spirit) tells me that it has not been fully opened to me.

“That which was from the beginning, which we have HEARD, which we have SEEN with our eyes, which we have LOOK UPON, and our hands have HANDLED, of The Word Of Life: for the Life was manifested and we have seen It, and bear witness, and shew unto you the ETERNAL LIFE, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us” [I John 1:1]

After all of this about the Word, and Christ being the Word we are told very plainly that this is not eternal life.

“And this is Life Eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” [John 17:3]

Righteousness is imputed:

“But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on Him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead” [Rom. 4:24]

We must not only believe in Jesus, but in God also that raised Him from the dead.

“Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that Great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the Everlasting Covenant.” [Heb. 13:20]

This is not rambling, I must emphasize, that God is a very important player in salvation, and also the Holy Spirit, they must be worshiped as God.

undertheblood
Jun 5th 2009, 10:04 AM
[continued from OP]

I then begin my praise (again).

God inhabits the praise of His people (Psalm 22:3). Most of the time my mind goes to two scriptures:

“Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and houour and power: for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.” [Rev. 4:11]

(The “hallel”)

“Thou art my God, and I will praise Thee: Thou art my God, I will exalt Thee: O give thanks unto the Lord: for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever.” [Psalm 118:28, 29]

When this psalm is quoted, remember that Jesus sang this scripture, and this is His last recorded words of worship in the Passover supper. 2 Chron. 20:21, tells us that Jehospaphat used these words in his praise to God for Israel’s victory.

I then praise His Word, lifting my hands unto His commandments.

“My hand also will I lift up unto Thy Commandments...” [Psalm 119:48a]

“...give me understanding, that I may learn Thy Commandments.” [Psalm 119:73]

“Let my prayer be set before Thee as incense, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.” [Psalm 141:2]

Remember Christ was offered, and gave up the ghost, at the time of the evening sacrifice - 3:00 p.m.

Finally, I remind myself of 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4:

“For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for now man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.”

We speak to God in prayer, not men. We need no intercessor, that is, a man. Edifieth himself: Means simply my spirit has once more contacted God’s Spirit.

Remember men’s cultic doctrines will destroy your faith, and belief in the Word as it is written:

“But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” [Matt. 15:9; See also, Matt. 13:33]

[Teaching: on the gifts- the body of Christ - elemental spirits]

A gift is something the Spirit does and uses the believer to do it. It is not at all human effort aided by the Spirit. It is said to be a manifestation of the Spirit.

The Body of Christ is an Organism... not an organization.
The definition of Organism:
1. A living being.

2. A complex structure of interdependent and subordinate elements whose relations and properties are largely determined by their function in the whole.

Our spirits form the Body of Christ, not our bodies. We must worship and pray in spirit and in truth.

“But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits, who’s slave you want to be once more.” [Gal. 4:9 RSV]

“If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the universe why do you live as if you still belonged to the world? why do you submit to regulations? do not handle, do not taste, do not touch.” [Col. 2:20, 21]

Men will destroy your faith with religion based on the law, having a form of Godliness, while they deny the power thereof (2 Tim. 3:5).

The Christian Life Is Not Easy

by A. W. Tozer

As we move farther on in the Christian life, we may ex*pect to encounter greater difficulties in the way and meet increased hostility from the enemy of our souls. Though this is seldom pre*sented to Christians as a fact of life, it is a solid fact indeed as every experienced Christian knows, and one we shall learn how to handle or stumble over to our own undo*ing.

Satan hates the true Christian for several reasons. One is that God loves him, and whatever is loved by God is sure to be hated by the devil.

Another reason is that the Chris*tian, being a child of God, bears a family resemblance to the Father and to the household of faith. Satan’s ancient jealousy has not abated nor his hatred for God di*minished in the slightest. What* ever reminds him of God is without other reason the object of his malig*nant hate.

A third reason is that a true Christian is a former slave who has escaped from the galley, and Satan cannot forgive him for this affront.

A fourth reason is that a praying Christian is a constant threat to the stability of Satan’s govern*ment. The Christian is a holy rebel loose in the world with access to the throne of God. Satan never knows from what direction the danger will come. Who knows when anoth*er Elijah will arise, or another Daniel? Or a Luther or a Booth? Who knows when an Edwards or a Finney may go in and liberate a whole town or countryside by the preaching of the Word and prayer? Such a danger is too great to toler*ate, so Satan gets to the new con*vert as early as possible to prevent his becoming too formidable a foe. If Satan opposes the new convert, he opposes still more bitterly the Christian who is pressing on to*ward a higher life in Christ. The Spirit-filled life is not, as many suppose, a life of peace and quiet pleasure. It is likely to be* something quite the opposite.

Viewed one way; it is a pilgrim*age through a robber-infested for*est; viewed another way, it is a grim warfare with the devil. Al*ways there is struggle, and some*times there is a pitched battle with our own nature where the lines are so confused that it is all but impos*sible to locate the enemy or to tell which impulse is of the Spirit and which of the flesh. If we want to escape the struggle, we have but to draw back and accept the low-keyed Christian life as the normal one. That is all Satan wants. That will ground our power, stunt our growth and render us harmless to the kingdom of darkness.

Compromise will take the pressure off. Satan will not bother a person who has quit fighting. But the cost of quitting will be a life of peaceful stagnation. We children of eternity just cannot afford such a thing.