PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if God is talking to you?

MidLifeCrisis
May 10th 2004, 01:49 PM
Unlike my other thread about polygamy, and this one is unrelated to that particular thread, I'm not offering any resistance or debate on any opinions or scripture references. All your inputs are extremely welcome.

I'm an agnostic and if God did speak to me, how would I know? Or does he really speak to you at all, and all your choices are your choices?

I've had more than my share of hardships throughout my life, and many more to be faced I'm sure. Would you consider these pressures from God, or just life.

I recently met a person at a Church Softball league. When I met this person, I felt some sort of connection. I'm not sure just what that connection was. It had a strange affect on me. Could this be God talking, or again just a natural reaction to that person?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

moonglow
May 10th 2004, 02:20 PM
God talks to everyone in a different way..sometimes it IS an overwhelming feeling, like that connection you felt...you could be drawn to the Holy Spirit inside that person, or their love for God.

For me I hear God as a quiet soft voice in my mind which usually just pops in out of nowhere and many times unrelated to what I am currently thinking. God NEVER puts a person down...the thought we do to ourselves, such as....gee that was stupid, what did I do that for? Oh I messed up again, I can't do anything right...(or worse) you idot, you are worthless, you can never be good enough and so on. The 'you' thoughts, as if being accussed, does not come from God. God does not talk to people like this at all....

He also doesn't usually yell or knock us over to get our attention, that is why you have to pay attention, be still, and listen for Him. He DOES however cause things at times to happen in our lives to get our attention...

Many times when bad things happen we naturally turn to God, whether we even believe in Him or not...even if its just to 'blame' Him for it...:( Though usually, if we are honest, its just something we did to ourselves...(I know I am real good at that)

I have had God talk to me through other things too....things that happen, things that just show up and I read...too werid to just be explained away..

One time I was sitting on the floor in my living room and found this card that had a bible verse on it...

1 Peter 5

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

I read that and was like....what???? Then I turned the card over and it was from Alasta! (probably didn't spell that right) So here I had a card that came from thousands of miles away with this verse on it...now how did it get there? My mom and her husband had gone on a missionary trip to Alasata a YEAR before I found that card! Why suddenly find it all of the sudden, my mom said she never gave it to me...probably fell out of her purse...but all this time it was never discovered until that moment...

Then a day or two later with something on my mind...I read an article in the paper VERY related to what I was thinking of that also had to do with spiritual warfare.... :hmm:

I was a member on this board and found another member that knew alot about this stuff.....

God WAS talking to me! He was trying to tell me something...

My son...my son was very very ill emotionally and would have very voilent rages...hurting me, and others and himself. I had been looking for help for him, struggling with this for years...and finally had given up on the regular types of treatments for this sort of thing and was turning to God for answers (which I should have done in the first place)

And one thing lead to another..and my son is doing SO much better. If you ever want to read the whole story of what I was going through with him, let me know and I will post the link to a post on this board about him.

He still has problems, yes, but nothing like what we were going through before. It was like living in hell. :( Words can never totally describe the pain, the heartache that we were living through.

The point is, yes God does talk to us and He wants to help us in our life struggles. Many of our hardship are a direct result of sin ...I don't mean sin as in something bad you did...but I mean sin, in the sense of sin in the world. Sin never happens in a void. When someone sins, it always affects someone esle...always. Many times people far removed suffer the conquenses of someone esle's actions.

Children strave to death in some countries today as a direct result of sin...of hard hearts, of wars of hate and wanting of control....all very selfish things...it can always be tracted back to sin.

So when you go through hard times, it may be as a result of something someone esle did, or you sin, or whatever....but God is there, wanting us to turn to Him and ask for help so He can guide us out of that problem, that heartache, that pain.

God bless
Julie

bodhisattva
May 11th 2004, 12:38 AM
Aren't you ever worried that it may be Satan influencing your thoughts and not God? What about mental illness? Oftentimes people with schizophrenia hear voices that they believe to be God, aliens, spirits, etc.

Teke
May 11th 2004, 02:28 PM
I'm an agnostic and if God did speak to me, how would I know? Or does he really speak to you at all, and all your choices are your choices?

I've had more than my share of hardships throughout my life, and many more to be faced I'm sure. Would you consider these pressures from God, or just life.

I recently met a person at a Church Softball league. When I met this person, I felt some sort of connection. I'm not sure just what that connection was. It had a strange affect on me. Could this be God talking, or again just a natural reaction to that person?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

At least you do believe in God. If a person believes in God, one day He will call you to recieve the gift of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ. When, no one can tell. But it will be at the right time. The Lord is a gentleman who knocks on the door of our heart. Doesn't matter where we are or what is going on. You don't have to be in church, or pray. When God is ready and knows your are ready, He will bring the Word to you.

Your hardships in life are both. Life and God. They are just things that temper us for both.

I don't know why your attracted to a particular person. That could be a lot of reasons.

Just keep on believing. I was once at the place you are.

God always speaks to us through His written word.

moonglow
May 11th 2004, 05:55 PM
Aren't you ever worried that it may be Satan influencing your thoughts and not God? What about mental illness? Oftentimes people with schizophrenia hear voices that they believe to be God, aliens, spirits, etc.

Well gee that is a postive thought! :( Actually I have done quiet a bit of reading on schizophrenia and the voices they hear are outside their heads as if someone is speaking to them and is usually disjointed crazy, nonsense stuff...and usually parnadio such as..."those people are out to GET you!" "watch out they want to hurt you" or voices telling them to hurt themselves or others....of course these aren't from God...the voices many even say they are God, but God doesn't tell people to hurt themselves or put them down or say terrible things to them. Such as that lady that stoned two of her children to death and said God told her to do it...she has been dx with a mental illness and is on medication and ONLY with the medication did she then realize what she did. God would not tell someone to kill their own children...:(

I don't believe in aliens...and yes of course, demons can put thoughts into our minds this is why KNOWING THE BIBLE helps you figure these things out...its teaches us discrenement....a demon will put ugly bad thoughts into our minds, tempt us to sin and try to cause us to doubt God...

Its not that hard to figure out which is which. God loves us...anything esle coming into your mind hates you and wants to see the worse happen to you....period. When these bad thoughts come, you rebuke them in the Name of Jesus and pray to God....

God bless
Julie

Katydid
May 11th 2004, 06:00 PM
2tim 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

MidLifeCrisis
May 12th 2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks Teke for your post.

It's difficult to explain. It's more like an alarm goes off on your intuition, and it tells you all is good. I'm drawn to, for lack of a term I can describe, the warmth/comfort of being around that person and a revelation of some sort which I'm hesitant to explore.

I had a similar experience many years ago, but it was one where the alarm told me something bad had happened. I followed my instincts on that one, which I struggled with like I am now. I had known that particular person for a long time (unlike the present one which I've known only a short time) so it was difficult. It was so heinous that it affected me for many years.

faithbuilders
May 12th 2004, 11:59 PM
First; God will never say something that gos againsed His word.

Second; Out of the mouth of two or three witnesses let every word be confermed.

Therd; Dose what you think God is telling you bring peace?

God wants to talk with us more than what we let Him!

Barnacle
May 14th 2004, 03:50 PM
To "Midlifecrisis". "Faithbuilders" had it right in the previous post.

How does God speak to us today?

1) Through His word, bible.
2) Through His Spirit, dwelling within believers.
3) Through consequences.
4) Through godly believers.

"Midlifecrisis", you are a self-confessed athiest. If your heart's desire is to truly hear from the Lord, I'd like to challenge you to consider Paul's words about this topic in 1 Corinthians 2:9-16 which reads:

That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, ďNo eye has seen, no ear has heard and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.Ē But we know these things because God has revealed them to us by his Spirit, and his Spirit searches out everything and shows us even Godís deep secrets. No one can know what anyone else is really thinking except that person alone, and no one can know Godís thoughts except Godís own Spirit. And God has actually given us his Spirit (not the worldís spirit) so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you this, we do not use words of human wisdom. We speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spiritís words to explain spiritual truths. But people who arenít Christians canít understand these truths from Godís Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. We who have the Spirit understand these things, but others canít understand us at all. How could they? For, ďWho can know what the Lord is thinking? Who can give him counsel?Ē But we can understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.

If you want to hear from the Lord, YOU NEED HIS SPIRIT dwelling in you.

Ta-An
May 14th 2004, 04:30 PM
MLC
You know the voice of those whom you have a relationship with :)
BUT G_D will talk to you in a way you'll understand...... If you want to hear His voice, start building a relationship with Him through reading His Word, start praying, and you'll start hearing His Voice :)

angel89
Jan 5th 2009, 05:53 AM
Well, I have always been Catholic, but I never took it seriously until I went through a really hard time in my life last year. It was the "hitting rock bottom" kind of hardship. The trouble already overtook me and I felt as if nothing could help me, and that's when I turned to God. I began praying more, more than I ever had! I began looking into the bible, praying all these different kind of prayers my mom had in her little altar in her room, and asking religious advice because they gave me courage, they helped me become happy again. However, one day during my troubled time/still trying to cope, I was so overwhelmed and tired of my worrying that I just imagined Jesus/God in my mind and it gave me comfort because the image in my mind was him hugging me while I cried. After that, I always imagined him there and I believe that he led me to think that "you are healthy, there is nothing wrong." I forgot the exact words but it was basically that I was healthy. Time went by and when my results came in I was completely HEALTHY. Since then, I always go to God for comfort and in my time of need when I don't know. During the time of waiting on the results though, I was depressed...but it helped me change and become a better person. I am no longer like that person I was before..I realized the lesson in my hardship during that time, and it was that I had to change, make an effort to. Sorry for the long paragraph to get to the answer but, it all depends on what you believe in. But I guarantee that if you are with God and trust (at least try your best to trust God w/o seeing evidence that he's real), then you will see his goodness. Everything you go through has a lesson, you just have to look deep into the struggle. Take it from me, I was weak (emotionally), I always let bad feelings get the best of me, I was insecure, did not fear the Lord, just did anything I wanted without being really scared of consequences, and I was not punished. Yes, I did go through a phase though and was depressed while waiting on results, but it is not a punishment. The way I see it is he just wanted me to change, it was a wake up call for me to change my bad ways, and during that time trying to change, the end result was I did not get what I was scared of..because I tried. Just know God puts hardships.struggles on you for a reason and when that is over you will gain something good from it. It's hard to tell if God is really talking to you, you just have to ..feel.. it and must trust in him 1st, that he is real. God bless!

angel89
Jan 5th 2009, 05:58 AM
You're so right! Rebuke satan and all evil thoughts!

tango
Jan 5th 2009, 08:33 AM
This is an old thread and the OP is no longer with us.