PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible study - Job

Frances
Jun 24th 2009, 05:48 PM
Job 1

What did I learn of God? - He drew Satan's attention to Job. He may allow Satan to cause His faithful people distress. He gives Blessings, and also He may take them away.

What did I learn of myself? - My relationship with God does not guarantee me an easy life. Do I get annoyed with God when I suffer? He only allows Satan to touch me or my possessions if He intends Blessings to follow.

What did I praise God for? - He always acts in my best interests.

What did I pray for? - to trust Him in every situation I will face in the future.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God allowed
Satan to test Job - so his property was stolen and his children killed.

Frances
Jun 26th 2009, 05:08 PM
Job 2

What did I learn of God? - He may allow Satan to cause His people bodily distress, but only if it will fulfill His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? - Does God regard me as blameless and upright? Why or why not? Do I respect God and shun all Evil? Do I only honour God because of His Blessings? Do I hold fast to my integrity when in great distress? or blame God? Do I accept adversity as His Gift of Love? Do I know when to keep silent? or do I feel I must speak on every occasion?

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings - those that delight me and those that have caused distress.

What did I pray for? - to see His Love in my adversity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Satan caused Job to have painful boils, but only after God gave him permission, and Job's friends sat in silence with him 7 days.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "One reason God permits Christians to suffer is to display the reality of relationship with the Lord. Believers suffer when hurt . . . . but our continuing faith in God's Goodness testifies to all that God does make a difference. God is Glorified as Christians continue to hope in the Lord despite suffering."

Frances
Jun 27th 2009, 05:14 PM
Job 3

What did I learn of God? - He is free to act as He chooses.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I ever wished I had never been born? Is there ever a difference between what I believe to be true and my emotions? between what I know intellectually and what I feel? When I suffer do I react as Job did? Do I, also, affirm the reality of what I believe in spite of my feelings? Emotional turmoil is not necessarily lack of faith in the Goodness and Love of God.

What did I praise God for? - He is always with me when I am suffering.

What did I pray for? - that I will never doubt His Love for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job wished he had not been conceived or born alive.

Frances
Jun 28th 2009, 04:14 PM
Job 4+5

What did I learn of God? - He is Angry with those who cultivate Evil and sow trouble. He is Pure. He is Righteous. He does marvelous things. He corrects His people to Bless them.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I patient? Do I encourage others to trust God? Does what I do, or Who God is, give me confidence to continue trusting Him? I am certainly not more righteous than God? Do sufferers experience the Love of God through me? or theological statements - even if they are coupled with pious reassurances? Do I trust God's Love for me when I am suffering?

What did I praise God for? - His Righteousness.

What did I pray for? - to be enabled to strengthen, and encourage, those whose faith in God is weak.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz says Job is suffering because he has Sinned.

Frances
Jun 29th 2009, 05:15 PM
Job 6+7

What did I learn of God? -

What did I learn of myself? - Do I really believe that God is Good? or am I tempted to doubt Him when I suffer? Have I ever felt cut off from God? Have I ever felt crushed by Him? Have I ever accused anyone of malpractice when they are already in despair? Do I focus on my feelings or on God's Power and Love for me (as demonstrated on the Cross)? Do I always expect God to Forgive my unrepented Sin?

What did I praise God for? - He is always in Loving control of whatever touches His people.

What did I pray for? - thanksgiving that He makes incapacity and pain bearable for those who trust Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job feels his complaints are Just and his suffering devoid of any comfort.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Job's experience helps us identify what happens within us when tragedy strikes. The . . conviction that God is Good is brought into question.
If we understand this we can accept our own doubts and uncertainty without feelings of guilt. And we can empathise with others who experience tragedy."

Frances
Jun 30th 2009, 05:11 PM
Job 8

What did I learn of God? - He is the Judge and He is Just. His Purposes are not always discerned by mankind.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever, mistakenly, assume I know what God's Purpose is in each situation? Do I ever give advise without first hearing from God? Might I ever say what sounds Biblical but is, in fact, wrong? Do I ever assume I know God so well I don't need to consult Him on every issue? Am I willing to allow God freedom of action? Do I assume I know why each person suffers?

What did I praise God for? - that His thoughts and Ways are so much more complex than mine.

What did I pray for? - that He will Guide everything I say and do.

What is this saying in one sentence? – Bildad, wrongly, thought Job needed to repent.

Frances
Jul 1st 2009, 04:35 PM
Job 9+10

What did I learn of God? - He will win every argument. He is Wise and Mighty. He Created the heavens. He does many things mankind does not understand. He performs countless miracles. He comes unseen by mankind, and has all Power. He is the Judge, He answers prayer - either 'yes', 'no', or 'wait'. He is Strong. He is Just. Jesus Christ is the Mediator between God and man. He Created me. His Care preserves my spirit.

What did I learn of myself? - I am not righteous before God. God always answers prayer. My pride will be my downfall. Do I choose my words with care? I am not innocent of Sin. Do I fear suffering? Do I fear God's Wrath? I am an intricate unity. My Sins make indelible marks. If I accept Jesus' Righteousness I will have New Life, and He will be my Mediator. Do I plead with God on behalf of those who are in the depths of despair?

What did I praise God for? - the Peace of mind Salvation through Jesus Christ gives.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job wanted a mediator between himself and God.

Frances
Jul 2nd 2009, 04:32 PM
Job 11

What did I learn of God? - He speaks. His Wisdom has no limits. He is the Judge. He is Merciful.

What did I learn of myself? - Is what I believe about God substantiated in His Word? Do I seek His Wisdom. Am I ever deceitful or sinful? Do I turn to God in prayer? Do I have the hope in Him that gives courage and security? If I assume I know what is in another persons heart I am on dangerous ground. If I think I know all God's Ways I am guilty of spiritual pride.

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Zophar says Job is suffering because of some unrepented Sin.

Frances
Jul 3rd 2009, 05:45 PM
Job 12 - 14

What did I learn of God? - He answers prayer. He Provides. He controls Life and the time of death. He is Wise, Strong and Understanding. No one can reverse what He does. He gives, and may remove, what people prize. He may test me with difficulties. He will rebuke those who say untruths about Him or mock Him. He is Trustworthy. He determines how long my life will be. He offers Salvation.

What did I learn of myself? - I cannot understand all God's ways. I am not inferior to anyone. Do I expect God to answer my prayer? Do I hear God speak to me?
Do I ridicule others? Do I provoke Him? Do I help or hinder those in trouble? I am secure in the Lord; my life is His to control. Do I accept, or fight against, difficulties He sends to me? All I have comes from Him. If I have any sense l will continue to trust God whatever difficulties I face. Do I, stupidly, defend Him with lies? Have I accepted the Salvation He offers through Jesus Christ? God determines when I will die. Do I answer when He calls me? Am I concerned about other folk's experiences when I am in pain? I cannot know the specific reasons suffering comes, either to me or to others. I will rise to Life again after the heavens are no more.

What did I praise God for? - He is totally trustworthy, His Provision and Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - to recognise and repent of, my Sin, and enduring faith in Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job's understanding of God.

Quote:- (Reinhols Niebuhr) "It is quite easy to see that religious faith prospers because of, and not in-spite of, the tribulations of this world. It is because this mortal life is felt as an irrelevancy to the main purpose in life that men achieve the courage to hope for immortality."

Frances
Jul 4th 2009, 06:06 PM
Job 15

What did I learn of God? - He gives Counsel. He Comforts His people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I engage in idle chatter? Do I revere God? Is what I say ever deceitful? Do I consider myself wise? Do I share my knowledge? Am I trustworthy? Do I defy Almighty God? Do I fear death? Do I use money wisely? Do I trust in wealth?

What did I praise God for? - His offers of Counsel and Comfort.

What did I pray for? - His Wisdom. particularly with regard to finance.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz' accusations against Job.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "As the New Testament emphasises, God does punish the wicked and reward the righteous. But not necessarily in this life. Yes, the books will be balanced. But this will take place only at history's end."

Frances
Jul 5th 2009, 05:36 PM
Job 16 + 18

What did I learn of God? - He tests His people, not in anger but in Love.

What did I learn of myself? - When folk are suffering does what I say and do cause them relief or more torment? Do i encourage those who suffer to talk of their feelings? Do I praise God in times of distress or rile against Him? Do I pray for those in distress? Do I really recognise God's Sovereignty, that He has the right to use me for His Purposes in whatever way He chooses? Have I wrongfully accused anyone, or misunderstood them? Do I use my theology or Bible verses as a weapon to attack others? Do I encourage those who suffer by reminding them of God's Love?

What did I praise God for? - encouraging me to talk to Him and plead for others.

What did I pray for? - friends and neighbours in physical and mental pain.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job considers his friends pitiless and prays that they will understand how he feels and acknowledge his innocence.

Frances
Jul 6th 2009, 05:19 PM
Job 19

What did I learn of God? - He is the Redeemer. He is Alive. He has stood( and will stand again) on Earth.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I blame God for my difficulties? Does He seem unjust? In spite of how I feel when I suffer do I still trust God to fulfill His Word? Do I know He is my Redeemer? Do I know He Lives? Do I know He will return to Earth? Do I know that after my present body is dead and decayed I will have another body and see God? Do I trust Him to avenge those who wrong me?

What did I praise God for? - offering Redemption to all.

What did I pray for? - mercy for those who unknowingly wrong me .

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job trusts God in spite of everything he suffers.

Quote:- (Lawrence O Richards) "We're reminded that when another person is hurting is not time for theological discussion. What a hurting person needs is a hand to hold, a caring voice to listen to, and some evidence from friends that he, or she, is still loved and valued."

Frances
Jul 7th 2009, 05:09 PM
Job 20

What did I learn of God? - He punishes those who don't live by His Rules.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I think I must give a reason for every situation? My understanding regarding a situation may be defective.

What did I praise God for? - His consistency.

What did I pray for? - that I will always be willing to question my understanding regarding a situation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Zophar proclaims his theology regarding the wicked.

Quote:- (Robert Ballarmine) "He permits His friends to suffer much in this world, that instead He may crown them all the more gloriously in Heaven, and make them more like His only begotten Son . . . . "

Frances
Jul 8th 2009, 05:07 PM
Job 21

What did I learn of God? - He doesn't often chastise those who ignore Him in this life. He has all knowledge. He is the Judge..

What did I learn of myself? - Do I really listen to all others want to say? or do I interrupt them? do I let my thoughts wander while they are speaking? Do I mock others? Do I complain to God or other people? Do I ignore God and His Ways? Do I consider my difficulties are worse than other folk have? Do I ignore God? Do I consider my Blessings are due to my own ability? Do I trust God completely? Am I prepared to alter my theology to fit the facts of life while holding firmly to my conviction that God exists, desires the best for me, and wants me to seek Him(Heb. 11:6)?

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings, including those disguised as difficulties.

What did I pray for? - that I always recognise the Blessing behind each difficulty.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job's view of those who ignore God.

Quote- (Lawrence O. Richards) "What Job finally shouted was, in effect, 'Why don't you get Real! Why don't you face facts? Why don't you consider what we all know, that sometimes bad guy's actually are Blessed? . . . while God's good guys struggle to make a living?' . . . Job's point was a good one. His friends preferred to distort reality in order to hold onto a floored theology. . . This is a lesson for you and me. Our trust is to be in God, not in our theology."

Frances
Jul 9th 2009, 04:59 PM
Job 22

What did I learn of God? - He gains pleasure from those who are Righteous (who have accepted the Salvation Jesus Christ offers and) do their best to please Him. He is the Judge. He is Righteous. He offers Instructions. He restores those who turn to Him. He knows all things. A relationship with Him is more valuable than gold or silver. He answers prayer.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I accepted Jesus Christ's offer of His Righteousness? Have I repented all Sin? God knows everything I think and do, and Blesses me in spite of my imperfections. Do I know God is the Judge yet think I am capable of judging others? Do I have a relationship with Him? Do I experience His Peace? Do I accept His Instructions? Is anything of more value to me than Him? if so, my priorities need adjusting. Do I pray to Him, knowing He will answer? Do I take other folk's questioning about God as rejection of Him?

What did I praise God for? - He is the Judge - not me.

What did I pray for? - that I do not mis-interpret God's Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz accused Job of being wicked.

Frances
Jul 10th 2009, 05:08 PM
Job 23 + 24

What did I learn of God? - He is available. He takes heed of those who pray to Him and are honest with Him. He knows what I am doing. He tests those who are true to Him, until he sees His reflection in them. He is unique. He allows His people to go through hardship. He knows all things.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I in pain? Am I greatly distressed? Do I apply myself to learn more of God and His Ways? Do I talk to Him? Do I understand what He says to me? The Lord knows where I am and what I'm doing. He allows difficult people and occurrences in my life to encourage me to be like a reflection of Himself. Do I faithfully follow Him? Do I treasure His Word? Do I always do what He tells me? I will face more difficulties in this life. Earthly wealth and power are no protection against difficulties. Do I rely on the security God has given me? or on Him?

What did I praise God for? - the security He gives those who trust Him.

What did I pray for? - to be faithful to Him at all times.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job recognises that the difficulties he faces are to encourage him to not only be faithful to God under severe trials, but also to become more like Him.

Frances
Jul 11th 2009, 04:04 PM
Job 25

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Bildad . . . made a significant statement. God was so pure that He can really have nothing to do with man, 'who is but a maggot'. This statement was true, but distorted. Man is fallen, and in his sinful state 'only a worm'. Yet man was made in God's image, and God's Grace reaches down to transform worms into the very image of God's own Son. . . . God does not view us as worthless. And He does care when we honour Him by doing what is right."

Quote:- (David Pawson) “We must bear in mind one acute difference between a Jewish understanding of this book (Job) and a Christian one. The Jew . . . felt the Justice of God must be seen in this life, since good and bad people went to the same destination – sheol. Christians have a totally different perspective on present suffering. In the light of Christ’s Work they see the bigger picture of Heaven. Suffering in this world is small compared to the life that will be enjoyed in Heaven.”

Frances
Jul 12th 2009, 06:48 PM
Job 26 + 27

What did I learn of God? - "he hung the Earth on nothing" (how did Job know that Earth is suspended in space unless God revealed it to him?) He controls the weather. He has Mighty Power. He is Alive, and enables Life.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I help the powerless and weak? Do I tell others God's advise is stupidity? Am I filled with the Holy Spirit? or another spirit? I cannot comprehend God's limitless Power. Do I say what is not true? Is my conscience clear? Do I delight in the Lord? I can speak to God at any time of day or night. Do I live to please God? or to please myself/others? Am I aware that I am very important to God?

What did I praise God for? - always watching over me.

What did I pray for? - to always be able to help those in need.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Power, mankind's frailty and Job's integrity.

Quote:- (Angela of Foligno) "Our condition is most noble, being so beloved of the Most High God that He was willing o die for our sake, which He would not have done if man had not been a most noble creature, and of great worth."

Frances
Jul 13th 2009, 05:54 PM
Job 28

What did I learn of God? - He, alone, is truly wise. He Created the 'Laws of nature'.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I fear/respect God? if so I am being wise. Do I reject all evil? if so I demonstrate understanding of God.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - Greater knowledge of all that displeases God and wisdom to keep away from those things.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Although mankind has known how to mine metals and precious stones for thousands of years, the only way they can be truly wise is to fear/respect God and reject all evil.

Frances
Jul 14th 2009, 04:41 PM
Job 29 + 30

What did I learn of God? - He watches over, and Guides, those who submit their lives to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - The Lord takes care of me. Do I heed His Guidance? Do I fully appreciate the Blessings I experience? Do I recognise other people's needs? Do I help to make their burdens lighter? Am I clothed in Christ's Righteousness? If so, is it evident to others? Do I comfort those who mourn? Am I always honest? Do I look down on anyone, considering them inferior to myself?

What did I praise God for? - All I have received from Him in the past.

What did I pray for? - to recognise the needs other people have that He wants me to fulfill.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job summarises his former life.

Frances
Jul 15th 2009, 04:28 PM
Job 31

What did I learn of God? - He has the right to destroy what He has Created. He is Magnificent. He knows everything. He has made clear that He will punish those who do not abide by His Rules. He answers prayer.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I deceitful? Am I known for integrity? Do I please God or myself? Do I fornicate? Am I faithful to my spouse? Am I an adulterer? Am I fair to those I employ? Do I do all I’m able to help those in need? Do I fear God's Wrath? Do I put my confidence in wealth? Do I secretly worship anything other than Almighty God? If I covet anything that belongs to another it may well lead to my destruction. Do I recognise God's Answers to my prayers?

What did I praise God for? - enabling me to help others.

What did I pray for? - to be aware of anything that needs my repentance.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job considers the good things he's done for others.

Frances
Jul 16th 2009, 03:43 PM
Job 32 + 33

What did I learn of God? - He gives life and understanding. He doesn't approve of flattery. He creates and gives life. He is far greater than mankind who He Created. He makes His ways known in various ways, eg. in dreams, visions and pain. He has provided a Mediator - Jesus Christ. He does not want anyone to end up in the place He prepared for the Devil.

What did I learn of myself? - God has Created me and given me life. Is everything I say true? Do I argue with God? Do I recognise God's Voice? Do I heed what He says in His Word to everyone, and what He says to me individually? Is the pain I experience the result of my stupidity, a test or punishment? Jesus Christ is my Mediator. He offers me His Righteousness. Do I recognise all the ways I displease Him? Do I repent?

What did I praise God for? - His offer of Redemption.

What did I pray for? - that I never miss anything He says to me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elihu speaks, first to Bildad and Eliphaz, then to Job.

Frances
Jul 17th 2009, 04:29 PM
Job 34

What did I learn of God? - He never does any wrrong. He treats people as they deserve. He never twists Justice. he created the world and it is in his Care. He, alone, gives life. he is committed to Justice because He is Just. He knows everything.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always try to please God? Do my friends, or family, lead me away from God? My life and death are in God's Hands. He knows all my thoughts and actions. He hears when I call to Him; His Peace is not dependant on my circumstances. God will Judge me according to His knowledge of me, not according to my view of myself. Do I speak about what I don't know first hand? Does what I say lack insight? Do I rebel against God?

What did I praise God for? - His Justice.

What did I pray for? - to know, in advance, if anything I intend to do or say does not please Him, so I'm able to correct those things.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elihu proclaims his idea of God's Justice.

Frances
Jul 18th 2009, 04:52 PM
Job 35

What did I learn of God? - No one can increase, or diminish, His stature. He is the Creator. He pays no attention to 'empty talk'. He is Mighty, and His Understanding is unsurpassed. He is Powerful, Exalted, Mighty and Righteous.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I claim to be righteous? Why? I can only give God what He has first given to me. Do I offer everything back to Him? Pride in my own ability can drive a wedge between me and the Lord. Do I obey God? Am I a hypocrite? Do I only consider God's Judgment / Justice and overlook His Love and Compassion? Do I need to see my personal suffering in the context of God's Love and His Purpose for me Redemptive and Compassionate? Scientific understanding of the weather does nothing to diminish the awesome Power that Created the scientific principles in the first place.

What did I praise God for? - His Provision, Love and Compassion.

What did I pray for? - to know, without a doubt, what He requires from me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Elihu condemns self-righteousness and proclaims God's Goodness.

Frances
Jul 19th 2009, 05:20 PM
Job 38

What did I learn of God? - He speaks clearly. He asks questions. , the answers of which are revealing. He created the world after deciding every detail of it, He determined it's size and components, how it would spin in space, the exact amount of gravity needed for mankind to live here, the amount of sea and dry land, the days and nights, the life and death of it's inhabitants, the formation of snow and hail, how light and darkness started, how dew and rain would come to refresh the earth, how and why water freezes. He created the Universe and spun each heavenly body in place and decided what influence they would have on the earth. He gives wisdom and understanding to mankind.

What did I learn of myself? - My inability to do anything of worth without Him. The limits of my understanding.

What did I praise God for? - His Omnipotence.

What did I pray for? - that He will constantly repeat what I need to take heed of.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God helped Job to realise his own limited understanding in relation to God's Wisdom and Power

Frances
Jul 20th 2009, 05:17 PM
Job 39 - 41

What did I learn of God? - He Created all things and gave them a variety of characteristics. No one knows anything better than Him. No one was alive before Him. Everything in the Universe belongs to Him. There is no limit to His Knowledge and Ability.

What did I learn of myself? - My knowledge and ability is very limited. I would lose every argument with God, so I'd be wise not to start one.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom, Power and Ability.

What did I pray for? - to realise the true limit of my ability, wisdom and knowledge.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job is challenged by God.

Frances
Jul 21st 2009, 05:52 PM
Job 42

What did I learn of God? - He can do everything. He does whatever He proposes to. He accepts folk of integrity. He gave Job twice as much as he'd had formerly.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I fully realise God's great Power and Ability? Do I speak of things I don't really understand? Do I repent of all wrongful thoughts regarding God? One day I will see God face to face - does that knowledge please or terrify me? Do I do all things the Lord tells me to? I must trust God completely. I must not use my knowledge of God as a club against others. It is futile to ask why I suffer; I must remember God knows why, and trust Him.

What did I praise God for? - His willingness to Forgive in answer to prayer.

What did I pray for? –forgiveness for those who have said things that have hurt me - either directly or indirectly.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job's Repentance and God's Forgiveness of his friends after Job prayed for them - then Job aquired twice what he'd lost.

Note:- Job only had the same number of living children because those who no longer live on earth are not Dead.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Through the experience of suffering Job had at last come to know that God was his Friend . . . Christians can offer no satisfactory intellectual answer to the mystery of innocent suffering; but through Christ God offers us the assurance we can face, and be victorious, in our pain."