PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Satan's accusation against Job

Rick2580
Jun 29th 2009, 03:05 PM
In the book of Job, Satan makes an accusation

He made the claim that it was impossible for anyone to worship God without some sort of selfish motivation.

"Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." (Job 1:9-11)

Satan made the accusation that Job was only worshiping God because of what God could do for him, in other words to get God's blessings, and that God was blessing Job in order to be worshiped by him.

I think we need to each take a close look at the motivation behind our worship. Those who preach should avoid waving rewards and focus on God's qualities to draw people to him.

We have already received more than we deserve

what do you think

blessedmommyuv3
Jul 1st 2009, 01:56 AM
I absolutely agree. There is way to much focus on the Prosperity Gospel here in the United States; not nearly enough preaching on the Holiness of God and how our sin serves to separate us from Him. How we are born depraved and would never have sought God on our own without Him acting on our hearts, and drawing us to Him.
We have forgotten to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, for our God is a jealous God.
I thank God for preachers who are not afraid to preach these gospel truths.
Our pastor for one :D. We left a large, social club setting church where everyone was really nice and loving but the sermons were rather shallow, to join an incredibly small (30-35 person) congregation where the pastor preaches straight from the gospel every Sunday, and is not afraid to call sin, sin... or exhort us to stay on the narrow path.

cnw
Jul 1st 2009, 11:25 PM
Isn't that called fire insurance? going to God because of what we can get or...don't get.
I totally agree with your post

GODHEAD
Jul 2nd 2009, 08:18 AM
Well Satan was suggesting that Job was only a righteous man because God had blessed him. Satan's messengers are preaching the Prosperity Gospel. I guess that Satan is still out to prove that he was right.

Rick2580
Jul 2nd 2009, 04:45 PM
Here is another interesting thought about Godly fear

In the presence of all the angels our creator confronts Satan with a question, " Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." (Job 1:8)

Here is a little background information about Job. He was a man who lived in the land of Uz, in what is now Arabia. (Job 1:1) This would indicate that Job lived in Uz at about the time the 12 tribes of Israel were in slavery in Egypt, so Moses had yet to come upon the scene as God's prophet to lead the 12 tribes of Israel out of Egyptian slavery. We see from God's viewpoint that Job was the only one at this time that was completely righteous and taking a stand against evil.

The expression "fears God" deserves some attention. When this event occurred God had yet to give his law to the Israelites so there were no scriptural rules for Job to live by and there was no punishment for disobedience or disloyalty. As far as anyone new at that time, everyone was to follow the path of Adam, back to dust. There was also no knowledge of a physical reward for being "blameless and upright", no knowledge of a heavenly reward or promised blessings. It could not be that Job was afraid some kind of punishment or afraid of losing some kind of reward. The only thing Job had to fear was losing his relationship with God, disappointing him. This could only be a fear with love at its foundation. This is an important point to remember because Godly fear is mentioned many times in the Bible and we need to keep in mind that it should not be associated with fear of a punishment or the loss of a physical reward. Godly fear is based on a selfless love for our creator that produces loyalty and a deep desire to please him.

Rick2580
Jul 2nd 2009, 06:00 PM
Well Satan was suggesting that Job was only a righteous man because God had blessed him. Satan's messengers are preaching the Prosperity Gospel. I guess that Satan is still out to prove that he was right.

I would not say that Satan is behind all of it, several times in Paul's letters to the first century Christians, he used the words reward and prize. He was trying to keep them organized and all under one roof. There were most likely as many Christian sects back then as there are today.

The world is a mess, we need something to look foward to, for comfort and hope, that is why we have so many encouraging prophesies. It just that the only motivational force behind our worship should be love for God, to please Him and show him grattitude for what we have.

What would happen to today's organized religions if the rewards were not there? No heaven, no paradise. How many people today truly believe that God would destroy them because they failed to do certain acts of worship to him? If one does believe that what acts do they follow, the law of Jews, the principles of Jesus, the rules of Paul, or just get babtized and your ticket is punched.

My big question is how does one teach true Godly fear? Is there a faith with a true altruistic foundation?

I tried to attempt this with a short online Bible tour that takes this perspective toward worship, it has been up for a few weeks, so far everyone has learned from it but no one "gets it"
www.wwMyGod.com (http://www.wwMyGod.com)

I have been a minister for years and it frustrating dealing with folks that are only in it for themselves.

I am open to any and all suggestions, preaching the "Prosperity Gospel" is offensive to anyone who truly loves God.

awestruckchild
Jul 3rd 2009, 09:08 PM
I have enjoyed this thread Rick.
I take a lot of comfort from the book of Job in that I can see that satan actually has to ask Gods' permission to buffet us or sift us like wheat and even if God says okay, I will permit it, satan means it to bring harm to us but God laughs at satan because He knows He means it for our good.
It is amazing to me that satan never gets it that even when out stomping about on the earth and seeking to wreak havoc and destruction, God somehow turns it around and satan actually winds up doing Gods' will of strengthening us!

It is the same with the cross. Satan wanted to destroy Jesus and in attempting it, we gained a way to God! How amazingly jaw dropping it is!

blessedmommyuv3
Jul 3rd 2009, 09:16 PM
I have been a minister for years and it frustrating dealing with folks that are only in it for themselves.

I am open to any and all suggestions, preaching the "Prosperity Gospel" is offensive to anyone who truly loves God.

I absolutely agree. Though not a minister, I have led a bible study and have met with similar frustration.

Preaching the prosperity gospel is offensive and misleading. John Piper and Paul Washer have some excellent sermons on this.

PTc_FoELt8s

My husband and I showed this short video in a prior Sunday School class, and actually had one person who was so upset, he refused to come back! (not our intention). You are right, alot of the time, people just don't get "it" :cry:

Rick2580
Jul 7th 2009, 07:36 AM
This presentation is a bit on the dark side, but it has a strong message.
And it is very encouraging to know that some have noted the selfishness in religion.

I am reminded of when Jesus was teaching. He had fed the crowds and healed them and as a result many were tracking him down. He acknowledged the fact that they were just wanting to get something from him. In John 6:25-26

25When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" 26Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.

Then Jesus goes on to teach them in a way that exposes their heart, and they leave him disappointed that he did not fulfill their expectations.

Perhaps for today the weeds need to keep growing with the wheat, and perhaps many are going to be surprised at what constitutes a weed.

blessedmommyuv3
Jul 7th 2009, 11:34 AM
I am reminded of when Jesus was teaching. He had fed the crowds and healed them and as a result many were tracking him down. He acknowledged the fact that they were just wanting to get something from him. In John 6:25-26

25When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" 26Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.

Then Jesus goes on to teach them in a way that exposes their heart, and they leave him disappointed that he did not fulfill their expectations.

Perhaps for today the weeds need to keep growing with the wheat, and perhaps many are going to be surprised at what constitutes a weed.

Absolutely. I agree. Great post :) :D

Friend of I AM
Jul 7th 2009, 05:04 PM
In the book of Job, Satan makes an accusation

He made the claim that it was impossible for anyone to worship God without some sort of selfish motivation.

"Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." (Job 1:9-11)

Satan made the accusation that Job was only worshiping God because of what God could do for him, in other words to get God's blessings, and that God was blessing Job in order to be worshiped by him.

I think we need to each take a close look at the motivation behind our worship. Those who preach should avoid waving rewards and focus on God's qualities to draw people to him.

We have already received more than we deserve

what do you think

Well we do know that God does reward those who diligently seek him. Think of Jacob asking for a reward from God. So I don't not think that asking for a reward from God is necessarily a bad thing. What does seeking God really mean though. Perhaps it just means being lovign to one another. And Perhaps it's okay to believe dat God will reward those who do good...not a sermon just a though..;):lol::D:bounce:

God blees,

Stephen

Grace and Love