PDA

View Full Version : proof that I am an idiot

Eliakim
Jul 1st 2009, 09:59 PM
Hi !

Anyone else feel completely a fool when reading proverbs? Most verses tell the opposite that I most often do. Frustrating book to read...

So I guess I am nuts.....
Eliakim:blush:

Firefighter
Jul 1st 2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah.:B

Try Luke 6:46 sometime...;)

Ayala
Jul 1st 2009, 10:06 PM
No worries brother. The Word serves the very purpose of pointing out our shortcomings and helps us change for the better. We all have done things that are condemned. The important thing is that we learn and adapt from them. I find Proverbs an enjoyable and refreshing book to read...In fact, probably one of my most read books in the Bible. Don't be discouraged...rather seek the Lord's wisdom as the book instructs us to do from the beginning. Blessings on you.

awestruckchild
Jul 1st 2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but it's always good to be shown what idiots we are. Nothing like it to keep you from puffing up, huh?

I always wonder about the proverb that says to never answer a fool followed by another one that says to always answer a fool! Do you know which ones I mean?:eek:

Partaker of Christ
Jul 1st 2009, 10:37 PM
Hi !

Anyone else feel completely a fool when reading proverbs? Most verses tell the opposite that I most often do. Frustrating book to read...

Yeah we are the foolish, praise God!!!

1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
1Co 1:27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,
1Co 1:28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,
1Co 1:29 so that no man may boast before God.
1Co 1:30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
1Co 1:31 so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

karenoka27
Jul 1st 2009, 10:56 PM
You are not an idiot. I do know what you are talking about. I like to memorize Scripture and I put them on index cards. One day a friend of mine was looking at them and she noticed that many of them were on the tongue..from Proverbs! yikes! You'd think I would have learned to be quiet!

Proverbs 13:3 "He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction."

Proverbs 15:23 "A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!"

Proverbs 16:23 "The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips."

Proverbs 21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

and there are more .....

theBelovedDisciple
Jul 1st 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi !

No.. when I read Proverbs.. it edifies me and teaches me... gives me strength and courage... and HOPE>>>

Jesus Himself is the Wisdom of God.. and when Reading Proverbs..

its like He is speaking right to me... He is The Book of Proverbs...

Proverbs is Alive thru Him...

He's not there calling me an idiot because of my err..

I don't feel inferior or like a fool.. not one bit..

He edifies and Strengthens you. thru His Word and His Widsom if you are Truly His... He's not there tearing your down.. that's another 'jesus'...

Listen to Paul's Words..

But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption

crossnote
Jul 2nd 2009, 03:15 AM
Yes, apart from Christ we are worse than idiots but because of Christ we are accepted in the Beloved...Proverbs withstanding.
Proverbs is a great book if we remind ourselves that we are robed in His Righteousness, even while Proverbs is revealing our unrighteousness. We are secure in Him.

theBelovedDisciple
Jul 2nd 2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, apart from Christ we are worse than idiots but because of Christ we are accepted in the Beloved...Proverbs withstanding.
Proverbs is a great book if we remind ourselves that we are robed in His Righteousness, even while Proverbs is revealing our unrighteousness. We are secure in Him.

Yep.. you put in shorter words and clearer understanding that I could.. I agree!

Joe King
Jul 2nd 2009, 05:10 PM
It's very humbling to read Proverbs.

amazzin
Jul 2nd 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi !

Don't speak those type of words over your life. Remember God created you in His image.

Spend time in scripture you receive blessing from for awhile. Then, before trying books you are not comfortable with, spend time in prayer. Ask God to reveal His message to you from that book. Take your time and don't rush

thepenitent
Jul 2nd 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi !

Sounds to me more like you're just human. To me, the fact you actually read proverbs is a pretty good sign.

notuptome
Jul 2nd 2009, 06:59 PM
I dunno doesn't proverbs say the fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom? Prov 1:7 Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Everybody has a few flaws that must be smoothed out under the examination of Gods word.

For the cause of Christ.
Roger

everyday_christian
Jul 4th 2009, 03:32 AM
Hi !

There are spiritual meanings behind the Scripture, even Proverbs has some awesome gems, such as: 'it is God's to hide a matter, kings to find'.

Be a king.

(We are greater then kings through Christ.)

Scripture can convict of sin, matters which are difficult should be meditated on to get their meaning -- which can take time.

What is critical is faith that there is meaning there for your good from God. (This is different from following a list of 'dos and do nots'. Look at it as something to ponder on to figure out the meaning of, rather then a laundry list of 'what you should do in every situation'. Situations can be dynamic.)

Ultimately, all Scripture is testimony of Christ -- and testimony of Christ is knowledge of God.

logos7
Jul 4th 2009, 04:46 PM
Sounds a lot like what Paul the Apostle had to say about his state in Romans 7:14-25. Notice how Paul ended this discourse.
Romans 7:24-25
24) O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

No you are not a fool, just like the rest of us you are sinful but made righteous and wise in Christ Jesus (see I Corinthians 1:30, and II Corinthians 5:21). But oh wouldn't it be wonderful to be made into "fools for Christ's sake" (I Corinthians 4:9-10).

Equipped_4_Love
Jul 4th 2009, 06:52 PM
Proverbs is probably the book that I am least able to really get into, because I read it, and everyone says what deep wisdom it is, but to me, much of it is just common sense.

Perhaps I'm not reading it correctly.

fuzzi
Jul 4th 2009, 07:30 PM

Not nuts, just open to correction from the word of God. :)

Yeah, but it's always good to be shown what idiots we are. Nothing like it to keep you from puffing up, huh?
Excellent point! It's good to realize that we aren't all that and a bag of chips, hmm? ;)

I always wonder about the proverb that says to never answer a fool followed by another one that says to always answer a fool! Do you know which ones I mean?:eek:
I do, and I think I can shed some light on it, if you're interested:

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." (Proverbs 26:4,5)

First, notice that these two proverbs that seem to contradict are next to each other...it's obvious that there has to be a deeper meaning than we realize at first.

Sometimes we need to ignore a fool, because by answering him, we legitimize his position. Don't argue with the fool who says something like "Can God make a rock so big that He can't lift it?" :rolleyes: Don't even dignify that sort of question with an answer.

However, sometimes people's foolishness needs to be pointed out, so that others don't think that it is truth, or that you agree with it. That's when you answer a fool.

See? :)

kenramse
Jul 5th 2009, 06:24 AM
Proverbs is probably the book that I am least able to really get into, because I read it, and everyone says what deep wisdom it is, but to me, much of it is just common sense.

Hi Welder,

Don't take this as me speaking to your post alone because I agree with you, at least the latter half of your post.

I learned a little exercise a long time ago (I don't remember who taught it to me but it has been a great blessing to me since)

Since there are 31 chapters, one for each day of the month (31st for those days when you want to learn more about how wonderful your wife is [so it isn't read as often as the other 30] lol)

Each day, take a few minutes, or if you can't do it every day, select the chapter that corresponds to today's date. Say a short prayer and ask God to show you what He wants you to learn today. Then read the chapter. Afterwards, if there is one verse or one proverb that seems to "stick out" from the rest, go back and read that one again. Ask God to make that verse real to you today.

I carry a little New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs in it and take it out whenever I get a chance. (In the bathroom, at lunch, on break or at a quiet moment). I turn to the proverb of the day and read it again, prayerfully, and continue to ask God to show it to me. You can also write the proverb down on a small card, (index, post it, etc.) and carry it with you.

Usually by the end of the day, the Holy Spirit will reveal to you, either in yourself or in your interactivity with others, the meaning of that proverb. He will make the Word become flesh to you. He will teach you with His anointing.

God Bless you all and may our Father bless each of you through Jesus Christ our Lord by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

ken

thepenitent
Jul 5th 2009, 12:24 PM

One thing I've learned is that common sense isn't nearly so common as one might think.

Dani H
Jul 5th 2009, 06:37 PM
The Bible is our mirror, and very often when we view ourselves according to its words, we don't like what we see.

That is called "conviction".

Which is a good thing. Because it lets us know that yes, we still need God (and always will) and no, we're not done growing yet.

The trick is to not become discouraged but to understand that this is how it's supposed to be. And to then go to God and ask for more of Christ to be formed in us. :)

awestruckchild
Jul 5th 2009, 11:02 PM
Not nuts, just open to correction from the word of God. :)

Excellent point! It's good to realize that we aren't all that and a bag of chips, hmm? ;)

I do, and I think I can shed some light on it, if you're interested:

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." (Proverbs 26:4,5)

First, notice that these two proverbs that seem to contradict are next to each other...it's obvious that there has to be a deeper meaning than we realize at first.

Sometimes we need to ignore a fool, because by answering him, we legitimize his position. Don't argue with the fool who says something like "Can God make a rock so big that He can't lift it?" :rolleyes: Don't even dignify that sort of question with an answer.

However, sometimes people's foolishness needs to be pointed out, so that others don't think that it is truth, or that you agree with it. That's when you answer a fool.

See? :)

Wow Fuzzi! What translation is that???? Explains it perfectly! My translation does not read like that.

fuzzi
Jul 6th 2009, 11:47 PM
Wow Fuzzi! What translation is that???? Explains it perfectly! My translation does not read like that.
It's the good ol' King James Bible, the one that people keep telling me is too hard to understand... ;)

I'm glad I was able to shed some light on that for you. :)

Friend of I AM
Jul 7th 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi !

Sometimes I do..and sometimes I don't...sometimes I do..and sometimes I don't..jest..jest..jest..;) but I try not to take life to seriously..and I try my darndest to take constructive criticism..well...blessed are the merciful for they will receive mercy...;)