PDA

View Full Version : God's covenant with man

Jeffinator
Jul 3rd 2009, 10:24 PM
In Genesis chapter 9 after the flood God makes a covenant with man using a rainbow to remind Him that he should never flood the world again. Gods words are "I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind of the earth".

Question one: Why does He need to be reminded of His covenant if He's God and if its for us why didnt He just say it was for us?

Question two: Why does God talk in the third person here? Noah quotes God saying: "I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind of the earth".

crossnote
Jul 4th 2009, 03:43 AM
In Genesis chapter 9 after the flood God makes a covenant with man using a rainbow to remind Him that he should never flood the world again. Gods words are "I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind of the earth".

Question one: Why does He need to be reminded of His covenant if He's God and if its for us why didnt He just say it was for us?

Question two: Why does God talk in the third person here? Noah quotes God saying: "I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind of the earth".

1. A covenant involves two or more. God is speaking in this way to communicate to Noah of His compassion and faithfulness by using the term 'remembering'. It was more for Noah's sake being the 2nd party to the covenant.

2. God is 'sitting in' as a third person witness to the covenant of two..God on the one hand and Noah with His creation on the other.