PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Deuteronomy

Frances
Jul 22nd 2009, 04:38 PM
Deuteronomy
from the Foreword in my Bible - 'Deuteronomy consists of a series of farewell messages by Israel's 120 year old leader . . . Moses reminds the new generation of the importance of obedience if they are to learn from the sad example of their parents.

Deuteronomy 1

What did I learn of God? - He had told His people to go and possess the land He Promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants. He always keeps His Promises. He gives His obedient people Victory when they completely follow His directions. Those who distrust Him suffer the consequences. He Blesses those who trust Him completely and follow His directions in every detail, at the time He has chosen.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I tell others what the Lord has said and done? Do I acknowledge what is beyond my ability? Do I ask for the help I need? Am I perfectly fair in all my decisions? Do I make impartial judgments? Do I fear angering God or people the most? Do I let other people's opinion turn me away from obedience to God? Do I wholly follow the Lord? Do I regard His Instructions for 'anytime' or realise His Timing is crucial? My disobedience to God brings His Discipline and makes me vulnerable to disaster. Praying against His Discipline is pointless, as is deciding to obey too late.

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - encouragement to obey Him instantly.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses reminds the Israelites of God's previous Command to enter the Promised Land, and their parent’s generation's refusal.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "God is committed to bring us to the place of Blessing. But the length of time it takes you and me to arrive still depends on our willingness to obey."

Frances
Jul 23rd 2009, 07:17 PM
Deuteronomy 2

What did I learn of God? - what He gives He will not allow anyone to take away. What He gives may have to be fought for before it is possessed.

What did I learn of myself? - I will gain nothing worthwhile that the Lord has not given me; what He has given He will allow no one to take away, but I may have to go through difficult situations before I am in possession of all God has Promised (eg. Salvation). Have I always obeyed the Lord? I face unnecessary difficulties when I do not obey the Lord. Do I trust the Lord completely?

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance and Faithfulness despite my rebellion against Him.

What did I pray for? - to have reminders if I am not instantly obedient to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses recounting the years in the desert and defeating King Sihon and his people.

Frances
Jul 24th 2009, 04:58 PM
Deuteronomy 3

What did I learn of God? - What He instigates will happen. He fights on behalf of those who follow, and obey, Him. He does Great and Mighty deeds. He carries out the punishment for disobedience He has stated -- even decades later. Prayer from the faithful may enable a slight relaxation of the sentence passed. eg He did not allow Moses to go into the Promised Land, but He did allow him to see it from a distance.

What did I learn of myself? - When I obey the Lord I do not need to fear the outcome. I must not rest and relax while others do not experience Peace, but I must fight with and for them - either physically and/ or in prayer as the Lord directs. The Lord God fights for me. I will have to bear the consequences of my disobedience to God - even if His Sentence was passed 40 years before and there were 'mitigating circumstances'. (not even a Godly leader like Moses was immune to discipline from God.)

What did I praise God for? - that He can always be relied on; and that Jesus Christ has taken the punishment for my repented Sin.

What did I pray for? - Those who don't yet know Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord so must bear their own consequences.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Israelites conquered King Og and the land east of the Jordan was given to the descendants of Reuben, God and half the descendants of Manasseh; also Moses was forbidden to go over the Jordan.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " The sight from this height (Mt. Pisgah) is impressive. Rising from the fertile plain is a series of hills that gradually flow into an impressive range of mountains. the rich colours and shades reflect the complexity . . . . with it's wide range of climates and soils which make the land capable of growing every kind of crop."

Frances
Jul 25th 2009, 06:57 PM
Deuteronomy 4

What did I learn of God? - He Protects those who obey His decrees and regulations. He is close to His people and hears when they call to Him. He has spoken, and speaks, to His people. He is Alive and Active. He is a Consuming Fire. He desires the best for His people. He scattered His disobedient people throughout the nations to encourage them to seek Him. He is always found by those who seek Him intending to obey Him. He is Merciful. He will not forsake His obedient people. He Created mankind. He used plagues in Egypt to Save His people and demonstrate His Power to them. He is unique.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I sufficiently wise and understanding to obey the Lord God? Do I remember all the times God has spoken to me in the past? Have I diligently obeyed Him? Do I idolise anyone or anything? Could I be denied my heart's desire because of my past disobedience to God? God will not forsake me. Do I seek Him and His Wisdom? Do I recognise His Voice and obey Him? Do I know that the Lord Himself is God, and there is no other? Do I learn from the past as well as looking to the future? Does looking back to what Jesus Christ has done for me motivate me to serve Him?

What did I praise God for? - that He is always with me and will never forsake me.

What did I pray for? - to always hear, and heed, His still, small Voice.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses encouraged the Israelites to be obedient to God, to have nothing to do with idolatry and designated three cities of refuge east of Jordan.

Quote:- (Charles Colson) "God calls us, not to success, but to faith - obedience, and trust and service - and He bids us to be unconcerned with measuring the merits of our work the way the world does. We are to sow; He will reap as He pleases."

Frances
Jul 26th 2009, 05:12 PM
Deuteronomy 5

What did I learn of God? - He made a Covenant with His people at Horeb/Mt. Sinai. He Saved them from slavery. He Commands His people to have no other gods and not misuse His Name. His people must dedicate one day each week to the Lord, must honour their parents, must not murder, commit adultery, steal, give false witness, or covet anyone else's possessions. He still speaks to His people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I worship any other gods? (eg. make wealth, pleasure, power, love, good works etc my idols.), Do I regard anyone or anything more highly than Almighty God? Do I apply His Word to my daily life? Do I use God's Name lightly? Do I keep one day each week to rest, relax, and consider the Lord God and the Salvation He offers? or do I allow 'ordinary' things (eg shopping) to encroach on that day? Do I honour my parents? Have I ever gossiped about anyone and murdered their reputation? Have I ever committed adultery in thought or deed? Have I ever taken anything that doesn't belong to me (eg. re-used an unfranked stamp, used a phone or the internet while at work without permission, made a job I am being paid for take linger than absolutely necessary etc)? Have I ever said anything not 100% true? Have I ever coveted anything belonging to another person? Do I seek the Lord myself or wait for others to tell me what He has said? Do I ask for, and expect, Him to give revelation through His Word each day? or think that all applicable to me will come from the preacher on Sunday? Do I always obey God? Could I have a closer relationship with Him if I worked at it?

What did I praise God for? - His Commandments.

What did I pray for? - that I spend Sundays in ways that please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - review of the 10 Commandments

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Unbelievers as well as believers are better off living a morally good life. But God is actively involved in the life of believers. Because God cares so much about us, you and I are more likely to feel the immediate effect of our Sins."

Frances
Jul 27th 2009, 05:24 PM
Deuteronomy 6

What did I learn of God? - He requires His people to respect/fear Him. His Commandments must be obeyed. He, alone, is God. He requires devotion from His people. He knows people are more likely to turn to Him in their need than when they enjoy good health and prosperity. He is Angry when His people serve other gods. He Blesses those who do His Will from habitual devotion. He has done many signs and wonders in the past. He requires obedience.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I keep God's Commandments? Do I love Him with all my heart, soul, and strength? Do I teach others, particularly my family, of God and his Ways? Do I put reminders of God in strategic places? Do I continually remember that every Blessing I enjoy comes from the Lord? Do I respect/fear God sufficiently? Do I give anyone or anything the devotion that rightfully belongs to God? Could my righteousness and goodness be improved? In what way does my behaviour need to improve? Do I remember all the Lord's Goodness to me and my ancestors? Do I fully realise He is able to discipline as well as Bless? Is God 'real' to me? Do I faithfully follow Him? Do I deeply love, honour and serve the Lord God?

What did I praise God for? - His Love and Mercy.

What did I pray for? - His Help to do His Will.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Lord our God is One; you shall love Him with all your heart, soul and strength - and you will disregard Him at your peril.

Quote (Lewis Goldberg) " to often Christians regard the Law as a set of legalisms . . . on the other hand (they) then proclaim the New Covenant describes how God works in Grace to Redeem His people and showers Love on them . . . Deuteronomy describes how God Blessed Israel and showered His Love on them because of His Grace and Mercy. What the Lord expected from Israel in return was an outpouring of Love . . . a remnant in every generation deeply loved, honoured and served the Lord their God."

Frances
Jul 28th 2009, 05:41 PM
Deuteronomy 7

What did I learn of God? - He gives His people the strength, wisdom and ability to conquer Evil. He requires His people to have no alliance with those who worship other gods, but to destroy the images they worship. His choices are based on His Love. He is the Lord. He is Merciful. He is Faithful and will Bless those who obey Him. He will punish those who hold Him in contempt. He works miracles, He is great and Awesome. He drives enemies away from His people, as they grow and are able to fill the space left in ways that please Him. He gives His people the Power to defeat their enemies as long as they completely destroy their gods. He will not protect the homes of those who have any object of un-Godly worship in them.

What did I learn of myself? - The Lord defeats all the enemies He directs me to fight against when I am totally submitted to Him. Does my lifestyle please the Lord, or have I allowed un-Godly elements into it? Is every area of my life ruled by the Lord who chose me, made me His special treasure, Loves me and has Redeemed me? Do I love Him enough to obey Him? The Lord has, and will, Bless me. Do I worship other gods? Does God regard 'retail therapy' or competitive sport on Sunday as 'worshipping other gods'? Do I neglect to tell others of the Redemption Jesus Christ offers because I fear loosing their regard? when so tempted I must remember the differences in my life before, and after, making Jesus Christ Lord of my life. Have I destroyed everything in my home that has been dedicated to any other god? Do I work with the Lord to rid my life of those who worship other gods?

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to know if anything in my home, or any relationship, displeases Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the Lord will Bless His obedient, chosen, people.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Any concept of God that fails to take His commitment to punish Sin into account is essentially un-Scriptural.

Frances
Jul 29th 2009, 04:46 PM
Deuteronomy 8

What did I learn of God? - When He leads His people through spiritual deserts it is to humble them and test them. He wants His people to realise that spiritual nourishment is as important as physical food. He chastens to encourage future obedience to Him. Every good thing is a Gift from the Lord. He makes everything necessary available. He gives power to obtain physical and spiritual wealth. He requires His people to be obedient to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I remember the way the Lord has led me through my life's pitfalls? Am I following Him closely now? Do I intend to keep His Commandments in spite of any desire I may have to the contrary? God, my Father in Heaven, will humble me in some way if I disobey Him, as a good earthly father does. Do I respect God and His Will? Do I regularly bless the Lord for all the good things He has given me? If I forget/ignore the Lord God I will perish. Do I depend on the Lord to lead me throughout my life?

What did I praise God for? - leading me through the minefields of life.

What did I pray for? - to be fully aware which way to go at each of the crossroads in my life.

What is this saying in one sentence? - It is important for my welfare to worship the Lord God with all my being.

Quote:- (1Corinthians 4:7) "What do you have that God hasn't given you? And if everything you have is from God why boast as if it were not a Gift?"

Frances
Jul 30th 2009, 05:05 PM
Deuteronomy 9

What did I learn of God? - When His people are obeying Him He goes before them as a 'consuming fire', to destroy those who are 'wicked idol worshippers' - not because of His people's righteousness, but because of His Covenant Promises and the un-Godliness of those they battle against. He is severely provoked by those who replace Him in their lives with idols. He regards not believing His word as rebellion against Him. He heeds prayers that come from His people's hearts and are for His Glory.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I ever been disobedient to the Lord because of fear of failure or pain? When I act on the Lord's directions and see His Promises fulfilled, it is not because of my righteousness but because of His Love and Faithfulness. God will drive un-Godliness away if His people are obedient to Him. Do I remember, with gratitude, the times God has Forgiven my unfaithfulness to Him? Others have prayed for me when I have rebelled against the Lord - do I stand in the gap for those in need of prayer today?

What did I praise God for? - His Power and willingness to forgive those who Sin against Him.

What did I pray for? - to always be aware if I am about to displease the Lord, and the willingness to repent.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses reminded the Israelites of past rebellion against God.

Quote:- (John 1:9 to 2:2) " If we confess our Sins He is Faithful and Just to Forgive us our Sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not Sinned we make Him a liar and His Word is not in us. . . . . and if anyone Sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous and He is the propitiation for our Sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world."

Frances
Jul 31st 2009, 03:48 PM
Deuteronomy 10

What did I learn of God? -He is Gracious and Forgiving. He maybe willing to repeat His Instructions. HE chooses who will minister to Him. He heeded Moses prayer for the people when he was alone with Him. He requires His people to fear/respect Him, to do His will, to love Him, to serve Him with all their heart and soul and keep His Commandments. Heaven and Earth and all in it belongs to Him. He chose Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants to be His. He desires His people's unreserved devotion. He is God of gods and Lord of lords. He is Mighty and Awesome. He shows no partiality to anyone. He is Just in all He does.

What did I learn of myself? - He may (or may not) repeat His Instructions to me. Do I ensure His Instructions are kept safe? Do I look back on my journeys with the Lord? Do I recall the difficulties and pleasures? Do I learn from the difficult times? Has the Lord given me responsibilities? Do I fulfill them all? The Lord is my Inheritance. Do I spend time alone with Him? Do I plead with Him on behalf of those who have gone astray? Do I always obey the Lord? Does my behaviour encourage others to obey the Lord? Do I love and serve Him? Am I faithful to Him in every way having 'circumsized my heart'?

What did I praise God for? - being God of gods and Lord of lords.

What did I pray for? - help to always heed and obey Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses reminded the Israelites of the second tablets of stone and the box(Ark) to put them in.

Frances
Aug 1st 2009, 05:16 PM
Deuteronomy 11

What did I learn of God? - He Disciplines His people. He is Great and Powerful. He performs miraculous signs and wonders. He drowned the Egyptian armies in the sea. He cares for His people Provides all they need and requires obedience from them. He controls the weather. He is Angry with those who serve other gods. Love for Him is demonstrated by obedience to Him. He will fight for His people. He has given the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob the land between the Euphrates river in the East and the Mediterranean sea in the West, and between Lebanon in the North and the wilderness in the South. He will Bless those who obey Him and Curse those who do not obey His Commandments but serve other gods. He is faithful and Consistent in His dealings with His people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I love God enough to obey all His requirements, decrees, regulations and commands? Do I use the Strength He offers to do His Will? God Provides all I need. Do I heed His Word? Do I keep His Word at the forefront of my thoughts? Do I speak of Him to others? If I am true to the Lord and His Word those who 'water it down' will fear and dread my presence (and may tell lies about me). Do I obey the Lord and experience His Blessings? or disobey Him and open myself to His Curse?

What did I praise God for? - His Blessings.

What did I pray for? - that my memory of His word will not diminish.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God rewards His people's love which is demonstrated by their obedience to Him.

Frances
Aug 2nd 2009, 04:28 PM
Deuteronomy 12

What did I learn of God? - He has given Israel land between specific boundaries - between the Euphrates river and the Mediterranean sea, and between Lebanon and the southern wilderness. He disposed the nations originally living there because of their idol worship. He chose where He would be worshipped. His people must not eat blood. He has Provided every good thing that people have. He Blesses those obedient to Him. He won't accept 'worship' directed to idols.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I spiritually cleansed my home? Do I ensure no false gods are worshipped within it's boundaries? Do I worship the Lord God with His people? Do I do whatever I fancy, disregarding God and His Word? or do I ensure my obedience to Him? Do I thank God for each thing I eat? Do I support those who Minister in His Name? Do I ensure that nothing I eat has blood in it? Have I, unknowingly, been drawn into worshipping false gods? Do I worship God in any ways that could be regarded as idols and are objectionable to Him? Am I careful not to add to, or take away from, the Lord's Word?

What did I praise God for? - He never changes.

What did I pray for? - to realise if anything in my home is, or has been, an object of anyone's worship - so I can dispose of it.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Worship

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " Emphasis on a single worship centre reflects a common Old testament theme. . . . Later the Temple followed the plan. There was only one altar of sacrifice, one High Priest, one mercy seat. . . . The truth these things symbolised was expressed by Jesus, who told His disciples "I am the Way, the truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Me"(John 14:6) It maybe popular . . . to say 'there are many roads to God' but it is not Biblical."

Frances
Aug 3rd 2009, 04:18 PM
Deuteronomy 13

What did I learn of God? - He tests His people in various ways to determine their allegiance to Him. He Redeems His people from slavery. He is Merciful and Compassionate to those who repent and obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Does Almighty God, or someone or something else, have first place in my life? Do I love Him with all my heart and soul? Do I follow Him and keep His Commandments? Do I know Him well enough to recognise slight deviations from His Word? Have I been enticed away from Him? Have I the responsibility to ensure none of my relations deviates, or encourages others to deviate, from the Truth of God's Word? God is Merciful to me and Compassionate, do I appreciate these Blessings or take them for granted? How do I respond to Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Moonies or some other cult?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and Compassion.

What did I pray for? - thanksgiving for Jesus Christ.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the punishment due to those who lead others from the Lord.

Frances
Aug 4th 2009, 05:11 PM
Deuteronomy 14

What did I learn of God? - His people must not mourn the dead as pagans do. He has chosen His people, they are His children. He is very specific regarding what meat they may, and may not, eat. He requires 1/10th of each persons income for His Work and their enjoyment at home and elsewhere.

What did I learn of myself? - I have been chosen to know God and His Ways - which also gives me the responsibility of obedience to Him. Is what I eat and do with my income also an act of worship, showing my reverence for God? Do I eat animals that do not have both cloven hooves and also chew the cud? Do I eat any birds that eat meat or fish? Do I boil young goats in their mother's milk? Do I give one tenth of my income to God to ensure His Blessing? and one tenth used for His Work at home and one fifth elsewhere? How do I show my reverence for God throughout each week? Is what I do with my income, and eat, also an act of worship?

What did I praise God for? - that He wants His people to enjoy the benefits of giving to Him.

What did I pray for? - to know what He wants me to give, and to which area of His Work.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Unacceptable mourning: what is, and what is not, acceptable meat to eat, and the principles of tithing.

Frances
Aug 5th 2009, 05:13 PM
Deuteronomy 15

What did I learn of God? - He Blesses those who obey Him. He gave the descendants of His people Israel (Jacob) land - in return He wants His people to ensure no one, even distantly related to them, is in need; and that they shall renounce all claim to what has not been repaid every 7th year. He has Redeemed His people. He keeps His Promises.

What did I learn of myself? - If something I have lent (either goods or money) has not been repaid after a designated 7 years do I consider it given? Am I careful to obey God? Am I generous to the poor? Do I remember I used to be in slavery to Sin until the Lord released me? Do I do all I can to enable the Redemption of others too? Could the depth of my relationship with God be shown in the way I treat others?

What did I praise God for? - His encouragement to share.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom regarding lending and giving.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Debts must be cancelled every seven years, generosity to those in need and concerning slaves and firstborn animals.

Frances
Aug 6th 2009, 05:12 PM
Deuteronomy 16

What did I learn of God? - He decreed that the sacrifice for the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover) in the month of Abib, could only be in Jerusalem (where, later, Jesus Christ was Sacrificed - the Passover Lamb for mankind's Sin). He required His people to keep the Feast of Weeks seven weeks later, and the Feast of Tabernacles after the wheat harvest. On each of these occasions all men must go to Jerusalem with a gift for God - in relation to the Blessings they had received. He requires judges to be committed to un-perverted Justice, and no images must be set up to worship.

What did I learn of myself? - do I keep the Passover/Easter sacred, remembering the Israelites release from slavery in Egypt, and Jesus Christ's death and resurrection which enables me to be released from slavery to Sin? Am I totally honest? Do I pervert justice in any way? Am I totally committed, and submitted, to God?

What did I praise God for? - Jesus Christ's Sacrifice.

What did I pray for? - giving thanks for my Redemption.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Feasts of Unleavened Bread (Passover), Weeks and Tabernacles and that justice must not be perverted or Ashera poles set up.

Frances
Aug 7th 2009, 09:40 AM
Deuteronomy 17

What did I learn of God? - He wants His people to offer Him the best available to them, regarding anything less as an insult. He knows the harm worshipping other gods can do to His people, not only to the perpetrator but also to those associated with them - consequently the sentence of death. Complete commitment is vital for Life.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I think God will be content if I offer Him less than the best I am able to? Have I given time, effort or money, that should rightfully be offered to God, to anything or anyone else? Have I ever considered anyone guilty of misdemeanor on the evidence of just one person without further investigation? If I accuse anyone of anything I am, in effect, throwing a stone that will kill their reputation. I may not always be able to make good decisions, so must refer the situation to trained in that area. Am I arrogant? Do I consult God before I vote in elections? Do I regularly read God's Word?

What did I praise God for? - His Guidance.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to serve Him as He desires.

What is this saying in one sentence? - regarding justice, and the behaviour of kings.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "We need to respect our leaders too. But leaders remain obligated to make decisions based on the Word of God, and are responsible to explain the Biblical principles on which those decisions are based."

Frances
Aug 8th 2009, 04:19 PM
Deuteronomy 18

What did I learn of God? - He chooses His Ministers, their income is derived from what is given to Him by other people, they all receive the same irrespective of family support. Everything occult, and those who follow such practices, are abhorrent to Him. He raises up His prophets - those who repeat what He has said to the people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I give the first portion of my income to the Lord? Do I ensure the recipients are those He chooses? Have I been involved in any occult practices? If so, have I renounced and repented of that Sin? Has God used me as His prophet - an intermediary between Him and the people? If so, do I ensure every prophecy I give is 100% from God and not partially from Self or Satan? Do I ensure prophecies I heed are totally from God? Do I depend on God or other people for advise?

What did I praise God for? - Always being willing to give any advise needed.

What did I pray for? - Discernment.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Income of priests and levites, some of the occult practices to avoid, and with regard to prophets.

Quote:-(Proverbs 3:5 - 6)'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths".

Frances
Aug 9th 2009, 04:55 PM
Deuteronomy 19

What did I learn of God? - He values human life. He may give what belongs to those who worship other gods to those who worship Him alone. He does not consider accidental killing of another person as seriously as intentional murder. False witnesses are abhorrent, and Justice important, to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I gossip? if so, do I kill reputations intentionally or unintentionally? Do I love the Lord God enough to obey Him? Am I more concerned about hurting someone's feelings than doing as the Lord says? Do I condone what God's Word calls Evil? Do I do something worse to anyone than they have done to me? I am responsible for seeing that justice is done, and for protecting the innocent.

What did I praise God for? - He values human life.

What did I pray for? - reminders, when necessary, not to gossip.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Cities of refuge, boundaries and witnesses.

Frances
Aug 10th 2009, 04:38 PM
Deuteronomy 20

What did I learn of God? - Victory does not depend on the size of His Army. He fights with His people when they obey Him. He does not want those fearful of consequences in His Army, as they may encourage fear in others. He wants total annihilation of Evil near His people to safeguard them. Peace with others is to be His people's main intention.

What did I learn of myself? Do I follow the Lord into battle or instigate battles of my own. When I obey the Lord God and fight with Him He ensures ultimate Victory. I, or my reputation, could be killed when fighting with the Lord. I must ensure I'm following the Lord into battle and not going into battles of my own making. Do I eradicate Evil from my life? Do I remember the Power in prayer? Do I ensure I have the Lord's Peace before engaging in battle? Do I destroy everything to defeat the enemy, or ensure the necessities of life are still available? Neither my strength, or that of my foes matters as long as the Lord is with me.

What did I praise God for? - He goes ahead of me into battle.

What did I pray for? - to fight fearlessly with Him whatever battle He leads me into.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the principles of warfare.

Quote :-(Author unknown) "My Lord, I am ready on the threshold of this new day, to go forth armed with Thy Power, seeking adventure on the highroad, to right wrong, to overcome Evil, to suffer wounds and endure pain if need be, but in all things to serve thee bravely, faithfully, joyfully, that at the end of this day's labour, kneeling for Thy Blessing, Thou may’st find no blot upon my shield."

Frances
Aug 11th 2009, 05:09 PM
Deuteronomy 21 - 25 Miscellaneous Laws.

Deuteronomy 26

What did I learn of God? - He gave Israel the land He Promised them. He enables crops to grow. He chose to consecrate Israel to be His special people.

What did I learn of myself? - Every good thing I have is a Blessing from the Lord. Do I thank Him for my 'harvest' of food, money and ability? Do I give Him a little of what He has multiplied for me? Do I give to those in need? Do I 'forget' any of God's Commandments? Do I regularly proclaim the Lord to be my God? Have I promised to obey His Voice? Is my life consecrated to the Lord God?

What did I praise God for? - all His Blessings.

What did I pray for? - that His Power will be recognised.

What is this saying in one sentence? – First-fruits and tithes.

Quote :- (the Apostle's Creed) "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of Heaven and Earth and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into Hell the 3rd day He rose from the dead He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty from thence He shall come to Judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the holy catholic (universal) Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of Sins; the resurrection of the body, and Life everlasting."

Frances
Aug 12th 2009, 04:33 PM
Deuteronomy 27

What did I learn of God? - He keeps His Promises. He Curses those who worship an image of anything; those who treat their parents with contempt; those who steal land by stealth; those who make fun of the blind; those who deny justice to foreigners, orphans or widows; those who have carnal knowledge of their father's wife, their father or mother's child, or mother in law; those who attack in secret (spread lies); those who take a bribe to kill an innocent person, and those who do not affirm the above.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ensure God's Word is easily accessible and a constant reminder to me of what pleases, and displeases Him? Do I joyfully worship and obey God? Do I ensure I do not earn God's Curse? Do I affirm His Laws.

What did I praise God for? - He never changes.

What did I pray for? - Thanks that He keeps my boundaries secure.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Law would be written on whitewashed stones on Mt. Ebal and affirmed by the present generation.

Frances
Aug 13th 2009, 04:33 PM
Deuteronomy 28

What did I learn of God? - He Blesses, in every way, those who diligently obey Him and serve Him with joy and gladness of heart. He will Curse those who forsake Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I always totally obedient to the Lord? Do I enjoy serving Him? Do I sometimes disregard the Lord and serve other gods? Does my heart attitude encourage the Lord to allow those serving other gods to trample me underfoot? Do I choose Sin 'today' disregarding the consequences I will reap 'tomorrow'?

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings, including the joys of serving Him.

What did I pray for? - renewed diligence in serving Him alone.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Blessings for obedience to God and Curses for turning from Him to other gods.

Quote:- (Reamer Loomis) " The wages of Sin is death - thank God I quit before pay day"

Frances
Aug 14th 2009, 04:14 PM
Deuteronomy 29

What did I learn of God? - His Covenant relates to all generations of His people. He did many amazing things in the desert, but had not given them Spiritual understanding, sight or hearing. He led His people 40 years in the wilderness, ensuring they had all they needed, not all they wanted. He will not pardon those who do their own will instead of His Will. His people are accountable for what He has revealed, not what He hasn't.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I record the wonderful things g
God has done for me? Do I pray for Spiritual understanding, Vision and Hearing? Am I content with what I have, or do I constantly yearn for more? Would I understand God better if I never had alcohol? Do I enjoy God's Peace? Do I enjoy God's Peace or 'follow the dictates of my own stubborn heart' and endure His Curses? Am I faithful to the Lord or do I worship other gods (eg. sport or TV)? I am responsible for obeying God's Word.

What did I praise God for? - His Peace.

What did I pray for? - greater understanding of Him and His Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Reminders of the Covenant made with the former generation.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Christ's death on the cross, and His resurrection, are proof or God's irrevocable commitment to you and me. . . . For Israel a failure to commit to the God of the Covenant meant calamity . . . . . For us, a similar failure means life in a spiritual desert, with no sense of God's Presence, no experience of divine Guidance, no comfort or assurance and the likelihood that our choices too will lead to disaster."

Frances
Aug 15th 2009, 04:27 PM
Deuteronomy 30

What did I learn of God? - He will drive His disobedient people away from the good land He gave them. He is compassionate, so if they are determined to obey Him He will enable them to return and prosper. He enables His obedient people to do well in every sphere of life. He gives Life to those who obey Him, and Death to those who ignore Him and His Word.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I determined to be faithful to God and obey Him? Do I need Him to change my heart? Do I recognise God's Word to me? Am I allowing myself to be led away from God's desires for me by what seems attractive at the moment? Before me at all times is the Way of Life and God's Blessing and Death and God's Curse; I must always be careful to take the right path. Does the Lord want me to be His Instrument to send those disobedient to Him further away? or be compassionate and welcoming?

What did I praise God for? - His Forgiveness and His Warnings.

What did I pray for? - to, repeatedly, hear Him clearly.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God Blesses those who return to Him, and gives everyone the choice between Life and Death.

Quote:- (Frances of Assisi) " Most high, glorious God, enlighten the darkness of my heart and give me, Lord, a correct faith, a certain hope, a perfect charity, sense and knowledge, so that I may carry out your holy and true command."

Frances
Aug 16th 2009, 04:54 PM
Deuteronomy 31

What did I learn of God? – He told Moses he would not enter the Promised land. He went over the Jordan ahead of His people. He destroyed the people living in the land He Promised to His people. He is with His obedient people. He will never forsake them. He appeared in a pillar of cloud. He knew the Israelites would turn away from Him, and break their covenant with Him, causing Him to be angry and forsake them. He inaugurated Joshua to take Moses place as leader. He required the Law to be read publicly every seven years.

What did I learn of myself? – The length of my life has been chosen by the Lord; He has limited my strength . When I obey the Lord He will always go ahead of me and conquer my enemies; He will never forsake me while I am faithful to Him. Do I tell others of the Lord and His Faithfulness? Do I prepare others to work for God? Do I rebel against God in any way? Do I provoke Him to anger? Will I leave those I live among more faithful to God when I die? Will folk know through me that god keeps his Promises? Do I depend on my leaders or on God? Only wholehearted love for God can protect me against the human tendency to Sin.

What did I praise God for? - being Faithful to me..

What did I pray for? - that I will never cause Him to leave me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Joshua was commissioned the new leader of Israel, God said the Law must be read every seven years and predicted Israel's rebellion against Him.

Frances
Aug 17th 2009, 05:26 PM
Deuteronomy 32

What did I learn of God? - He is the Rock of Salvation. His Work is Perfect and all His ways are Just. He is True and Righteous. He is the Father of His people. He is Most High. He leads His people. He is provoked to Jealousy and moved to Anger if His people create and worship idols, and He takes vengeance on them. He Judges His people and has Compassion on His servants, when He sees their powerlessness. He alone is God. He wounds and He Heals. He repays those who hate Him. He wouldn't let Moses go into the Promised land because he hit the rock, instead of speaking to it as God told him to. He is Compassionate.

What did I learn of myself? - Without the Forgiveness God offers through the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ I would be in a hopeless situation.

What did I praise God for? - His Forgiveness.

What did I pray for? – reminders if I am not following His Instructions to the letter.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses song, and being allowed to see the Promised land from Mt. Nebo.

Quote :- (Lawrence O. Richards) "the RIB pattern(legal script) of the poem shows it's ancient origin for it fits comfortably into the culture existing in Moses day. But the variation of that pattern is most important to us . . . The statement which expressed the punishment due to covenant breakers ended the indictment. But even when we Sin and deserve Judgment, punishment is not God's last Word . . . (it) is one of Grace. We, too, can be restored." (through Jesus Christ)

Note:- Eagles push their young out of the nest on a rocky outcrop to teach them to fly, then catch them on their back before to prevent injury.

Frances
Aug 18th 2009, 05:08 PM
Deuteronomy 33

What did I learn of God? - He Loves His people, He is their King. He’s the Refuge for His people, and His everlasting arms are beneath them.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I obey God's Word? While I remain with God I will be safe. Do I ensure that I am strong in the Lord? Will I ensure that I remain spiritually strong in Him? If God is my Refuge He will always protect me. Have I accepted His offer of Salvation through Jesus Christ?

What did I praise God for? - His Salvation and Protection.

What did I pray for? - protection from Sin, Self and Satan.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses final blessing of Israel.
Note:- a dying father's blessing was legally binding at that time, in that part of the world.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "God's Indictment of Israel
Statement of God's character (:1-4) Implied accusation of Israel (5-6) Recalling God's Acts for Israel(:7-14) Specific charges against Israel(:15-18) the Sentence (19-25).
The emphasis of each blessing is:-
Reuben - prayer for survival.
Judah - prediction of victory.
Levi - prayer for Blessing, and call to faithfulness.
Benjamin - promise of safety.
Manasseh - prediction of strength.
Zebulun - prediction of wealth.
Issachar - prediction of wealth.
Gad - promise of land.
Dan - prediction of energy.
Napthali - promise of Blessing.
Asher - prayer for strength and security. "

Frances
Aug 19th 2009, 04:54 PM
Deuteronomy 34

What did I learn of God? - He ensured Moses was in good health until his death. He had prepared Joshua to be Moses’ successor. He spoke to Moses face to face, and performed many miracles through him.

What did I learn of myself? – If I am faithful to God I, too, am important to Him. I will live on earth until my Work for the Lord is done. I must not compare my life to others'. The Lord is preparing my successor. Am I ready to see the Lord face to face? and for Him to ask me about my attitude to His Word, His Son and His Salvation?

What did I praise God for? - recording Moses good and bad behaviour in His Word.

What did I pray for? - to also have sight and strength all my life on earth.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Moses died on Mount Nebo.