PDA

View Full Version : Anger

Rookie78
Jul 28th 2009, 06:29 PM
Matthew 5:22

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

What are some examples of being angry at someone without a cause? (Doesn't have to be biblical examples). One I can think of that might fit the bill is regarding Cain being angry with his brother abel.

The reverse of this verse should also be true, right? If you are angry at someone with a cause, you are not sinning.

third hero
Jul 28th 2009, 06:34 PM
Here's one example.

You are taking a walk with your wife/girlfriend. Someone walks by you. You "feel" like there is something wrong with that person, and suddenly, you do not like that person. There is really no explanation for it, but you just do not like that person. That is being angry without a cause.

Another example is that you are coming home from work, and you had a hard day. Your children run tto you and greet you. Instead of returning the favor, you yell at them to back off. All of your anger that came with you at work is now transferred to the children, and thus, you are angry without cause.

There are plenty of examples that all mankind are guilty of. This is why Lord Jesus tells us to be mindful of these things, to avoid committing these sins.

notuptome
Jul 28th 2009, 07:14 PM

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

What are some examples of being angry at someone without a cause? (Doesn't have to be biblical examples). One I can think of that might fit the bill is regarding Cain being angry with his brother abel.

The reverse of this verse should also be true, right? If you are angry at someone with a cause, you are not sinning.
Pslams 139:21-22 Do not I hate them, O Lord that hate thee? And am I not greived with those who rise up against thee? I hate them with a perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

To hate a brother ie a fellow Christian is not something you want to do. We are commanded to love the brethren with an unfeigned love. We also love the sinner but hate the sinful things he does.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

MarleVVLL
Jul 28th 2009, 08:55 PM
It would be helpful to know that the some of the earliest manuscripts did not have that clause in them.

Blessings,

crossnote
Jul 29th 2009, 03:40 AM

This is an interesting question. 'Ideally' as christians we have no reason to be angry with another with or without cause in light of His forgiving us our detestable offesnses against His Holiness. Yet we are even given slack in that matter in that if we are angry with a good cause we should not let that anger brew to the point where it becomes uncontrolled rage.

Gene
Jul 29th 2009, 10:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with being angry (with cause, that is...) Ephesians 4:26 say: "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath" That is the way the Lord created us, and even Jesus got angry, but the Bible teaches that we must not sin when we get angry.... and that we musn't stay angry, in other words, be willing to forgive.

It is what we do with our anger that is the problem, not the anger itself. To seek revenge is wrong, to hurt someone else is wrong, to use bad language is wrong etc etc. But to become angry, is human.

Rookie78
Jul 29th 2009, 04:55 PM
It would be helpful to know that the some of the earliest manuscripts did not have that clause in them.

Blessings,

I think that it is a necessary clause, otherwise it would seem to conflict with other scriptures.

Here are some more verses the clause appears in:

John 15:25

But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

Psalm 69:4

They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away.