PDA

View Full Version : The TABLECLOTH

Pelican23
Jul 29th 2009, 03:54 PM
I've never seen a Christian table without a tablecloth. It is a pointless piece of paper that symbolizes the egos need to impress, and there has never been a church service without flowers. There is a strong sense of pride that seems to go along with the Christian doctrine, when Jesus message was that we are all one. This linear need to impress on a material level is down right selfish. Why grow in the church of suit and ties and tablecloths when there are people out there who don't know they have eternal life. If you want to go to heaven and there are people left out, is that not more shameful than anything concievable. Do you sit down and eat on a tablecloth with flowers in the middle when your interpretation of doctrine leads you to believe that some will be separate from god (which is impossible) for all of time. The message of materialism doesn't help the cause of the church. Maybe more research should be done before we worry about looking "presentable"

CoffeeCat
Jul 29th 2009, 04:18 PM
Heya Pelican, thanks for the thread. (YA was beginning to look a tad lonely without a new one!)

I think what you're saying is that we need to focus on reaching out to people and telling them about Christ instead of focusing so much on our own materialism -- because after all, who cares if we're in a suit/tie or if our tablecloth has flowers on it, if we're saved believers but we're not bringing the gospel message to others.

Is that more or less what you said? :) Wanted to be sure I 'got ya'.

Buzzword
Jul 30th 2009, 12:32 AM
Seems like you have a massive chip on your shoulder about several things not worth a speck of your time or energy.

My parents have been the greatest Christian examples of my life, and they don't use a tablecloth or have flowers anywhere in their house.

Personal preference in placeholders doesn't portray a powerful peril to the populace.

IF those Christians around you ARE making a bigger deal of the tablecloth or the flower arrangment or the "church clothes," than they are actually living the Christian life, then yes it is a problem in your area.

But the way you worded your post made it seem like you were angry at the tablecloth itself. not any spiritual issues its treatment may represent.