PDA

View Full Version : Gospel of John - 08/01/2009

Master Jake
Aug 1st 2009, 11:50 AM
Course Outline

The goal of this course is to study and complete the Gospel of John (preferably within the allotted time period of a one chapter per-day minimal).

Course doctrine will be ripped from the Holy Bible, Wikipedia, Merriam Webster Dictionary, and Encyopledia. By combining these 4 great resources and various internet research, I hope to learn the in's and out's of the Gospel of John, compare and contrast theological ideas in hopes to of reaching a valid conclusion on any and all complications which may or may not arise.

Master Jake
Aug 1st 2009, 06:03 PM
Day 1 - Saturday, August 01, 2009

Course Study: The Gospel of John
Chapter 1 (Complete) [51 Verses]

Based on information via Wikipedia, John may be the most important book of the four gospels as it's goals tend to reflect on bringing non-believers to Christ or strengthening the faith of those who already follow. Some have began to question the eligibility of John as being truly inspired by God and unaltered. I will read it and make that decision for myself. Today we will be completing Chapter 1.

The beginning verses of this Chapter start by presenting God as the high and might ruler of the land. Jesus is then presented as the flesh-like human version of the Word which is also God. We then see how Jesus's own people knew him and accepteth him not. John is then presented as a witness of Jesus.

A very important but slightly confusing verse is follows:

1:15 - John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

If I interpret correctly, this verse is displaying John's emotional breakdown while presenting Jesus to those who forsaketh him. The end of the verse is saying that Jesus (who came to past after John) was actually before John being that Jesus was God and the Word the entire time which we know to have no beginning or end.

It goes on to explain how Jesus is graceful and the true Light. It explains how Moses presented the Law of the land, but Jesus was the true inspiration or say 'author'.

We then see that Jesus is a new traveler in these parts. No one knows who he is, except John - the witness.

According to Wikipedia, this is where a section of John known as "The Prologue" ends and a section known as "The Book of Signs" begins. Basically, the book is done introducing itself and is now going to start presenting some hardcore information.

Now messengers of the Pharisees are sent to John to interrogate him and find out who he is. They continue to fail at guessing and ask him questions. John presents himself as a baptist but notifies the messengers that someone is among them of which they know not of (Jesus). Someone that even John is unworthy to serve.

Soon, John is presenting Jesus as the Lamb of God. He then goes on to explain how he met Jesus who descended from the heavens, which he at that time knew not. He makes record that Jesus is the Son of God.

John presents Jesus as the Lamb of God again. This time two disciples hear and interpret. They begin following Jesus and serving him. They lived with Jesus for a day. One of the 2 disciples (Andrew) seeketh his brother Simon, and presented him to Jesus.

A chain began. Jesus found Phillip and told him to follow. They continued to recruit more and more. Phillip found Nathaniel and told him about Jesus. Nathaniel was doubtful at first due to Nazareth not being filled with good. Nathaniel goes on to meet Jesus who already knows who he is. We soon learn that Jesus had been stalking Nathaniel at a fig tree O_O

Nathaniel now believes. Jesus comments on Nathaniel's easy conversion to a believer stating how he will see much more convincing things. Jesus explains how soon heaven will open, the angels will scurry about.

Master Jake
Aug 2nd 2009, 09:56 AM
Day 2 - Sunday, August 02, 2009

Chapter 2 (Complete) [25 Verses]

Let's continue.

Jesus and his disciples venture to a marriage ceremony where Jesus's mother is (I guess that would be Mary). They ask for wine, but there is none. Mary tells the disciples to do whatever Jesus says.

Here Jesus performs his first miracle. Jesus tells the disciples to fill stone pots full of water. Afterward, he converts it to wine and sends some to the headmaster. When he tastes it (not knowing it was originally water) he says in so many words that it is very good wine (the best). The disciples believed more and more. It seems what Jesus said in Chapter 1 to Nathaniel about much greater things was beginning to come true.

Jesus travels to Jerusalem to visit the Jews during passover. When he enters the holy temple he is enraged to see people selling merchandise. He brings a scourge of small cords (basically a whip) and scares them out, scolding them for disgracing his Father's house.

The Jews got a little concerned. They wanted to know why Jesus did this and asked him for a sign. He told them to destroy the temple and he would rise it up in 3 days. They explained that the temple took 46 years to build, how would he do this?

Jesus continued to do many miracles, and many believed in him.

I'm afraid I'm a little iffy on the last 2 verses.

24But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,

25And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

I'm not exactly sure what this is saying. It could possibly mean that Jesus knew of man's sinful nature.

mcgyver
Aug 2nd 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Jake,

I know that I'm a little bit behind your time-table; but I wanted to make a quick comment on this:

A very important but slightly confusing verse is follows:

1:15 - John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

If I interpret correctly, this verse is displaying John's emotional breakdown while presenting Jesus to those who forsaketh him. The end of the verse is saying that Jesus (who came to past after John) was actually before John being that Jesus was God and the Word the entire time which we know to have no beginning or end.

Two things here for you to look at...

1. John here is speaking in terms of "eternity" for lack of a better term....he is declaring that Jesus has existed from the beginning, before he (John) was ever born (He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.)

2. He is also speaking and giving evidence of the fulfillment of Messianic prophecies: That there would be a forerunner to the Messiah (Christ) who would "prepare the way".

A couple of scriptures that will help to clarify this are:

(The way prepared)...Prophesied in Isaiah 40:3-4, Fulfilled/explained in Luke 3:3-6.

(Preceded by a forerunner)...Prophesied in Malachi 3:1, fulfilled/explained in Luke 7:24-27.

There's no emotional breakdown involved, but rather a declaration that Jesus is the Messiah (the Christ).

Hope that helps you. :)

mcgyver
Aug 2nd 2009, 10:53 AM
24But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,

25And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

I'm not exactly sure what this is saying. It could possibly mean that Jesus knew of man's sinful nature.

You hit the nail on the head! :)

tt1106
Aug 2nd 2009, 11:39 AM
Brother Jake, It is very important to recognize a few things about John.
Namely: John 1:1 is a great verse that was meant to establish Jesus as Divine.
This was meant to dispel the thinking that Jesus was just a good guy or a Prophet. God through John is establishing that Christ is God.

tt1106
Aug 2nd 2009, 11:47 AM
Brother Jake, in Chapter 2.
It was the custom for the Best wine to be drank first. Then by the time the shabby wine was served everybody would be too drunk to care.
That is the significance of the comment of the guests. He was amazed because they saved the best for last.

Master Jake
Aug 2nd 2009, 12:26 PM
Hi Jake,

I know that I'm a little bit behind your time-table; but I wanted to make a quick comment on this:

Two things here for you to look at...

1. John here is speaking in terms of "eternity" for lack of a better term....he is declaring that Jesus has existed from the beginning, before he (John) was ever born (He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.)

2. He is also speaking and giving evidence of the fulfillment of Messianic prophecies: That there would be a forerunner to the Messiah (Christ) who would "prepare the way".

A couple of scriptures that will help to clarify this are:

(The way prepared)...Prophesied in Isaiah 40:3-4, Fulfilled/explained in Luke 3:3-6.

(Preceded by a forerunner)...Prophesied in Malachi 3:1, fulfilled/explained in Luke 7:24-27.

There's no emotional breakdown involved, but rather a declaration that Jesus is the Messiah (the Christ).

Hope that helps you. :)

Thanks, that helps very much. The verses tie themselves together well.

You hit the nail on the head! :)

Phew, I was worried about that one. I hope I'm getting the rest of the interpretation correct. I'm fairly confident in my answers, though it wouldn't be surprising if they were off.

Brother Jake, It is very important to recognize a few things about John.
Namely: John 1:1 is a great verse that was meant to establish Jesus as Divine.
This was meant to dispel the thinking that Jesus was just a good guy or a Prophet. God through John is establishing that Christ is God.

I understand that part. It seems like much of the beginning of it (or what Wikipedia calls "The Prologue (Chapter 1 - Verses 1 - 18)" is simply explaining that Jesus is the master and beholder.

Brother Jake, in Chapter 2.
It was the custom for the Best wine to be drank first. Then by the time the shabby wine was served everybody would be too drunk to care.
That is the significance of the comment of the guests. He was amazed because they saved the best for last.

Ahh. That makes more sense now.

Master Jake
Aug 3rd 2009, 08:01 AM
Day 3 - Monday, August 03, 2009

Chapter 3 (Complete) [36 Verses]

Based on my current position, I'd have to say that I do believe this book is directed towards leading non-believers to Christ or strengthening current believers' faith (as stated above from Wiki).

It seems to be the case as Jesus is performing miracles which made many believe in him and strengthening the faith of his disciples.

Let us continue with Chapter 3.

Nicodemus of the Pharisees comes unto Jesus notifying Him that many believe he is a man under the influence of God, for he could not do the miracles which he had done unless this be true. Jesus tells Nicodemus that he must be born again in order to enter into the Kingdom of God (heaven). Nicodemus is astonished at this statement and doesn't understand what Jesus means by this. Jesus explains of being baptized and born of the Spirit instead of the flesh.

Jesus goes on to explain more and more parables, which happen to be fairly confusing. In total, I believe he is telling Nicodemus that he must believe in Jesus in order to have everlasting life (summed up in verse 15 and then reiterated in 16)

When Jesus says "We" in verse 11, I believe he is talking about Him and His disciples which have seen the miracles performed and testified of them (though not sure).

Famous verse John 3:16 comes up. We learn that God sent Jesus to save the world, not condemn it. It goes on to explain man's sinful nature again by presenting the argument that man loves the darkness because of his evil deeds by not accepting Jesus as the only begotten Son (thus being condemned).

Jesus traveled with his disciples and began baptizing with them. John was also baptizing in Aenon. John's disciples came up to John and notified him that Jesus was now also baptizing (presented in verse 26)

John goes on to explain that Jesus is greater than him and that he will grow more powerful as John grows weaker. Jesus came from the heaven, John came from the earth. Jesus is the Son of God and was given all things by God unto him.

If you believeth on the Son, Jesus Christ, you shall have everlasting life. Fail to do so, and you shall see God's wrath.

-----

It's quite possible that I interpreted today's commentary incorrectly in many spots. If you see a mistake I made, please notify me below with the correction. Thanks!

Master Jake
Aug 4th 2009, 10:52 AM
Day 4 - Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Chapter 4 (Complete) [54 Verses]

Phew. This one's long. Let's get started.

The Pharisees figured out that Jesus had baptized more than John (even though Jesus hadn't baptized anyone, his disciples had). Jesus left and traveled to Galilee. He soon arrived at Sychar in Samaria, parched and tired. He found and sat a Jacob's well for a rest.

Soon a woman ventured toward the well, a Samaritans. Jesus's disciples were in town buying meat at this team. Jesus asked the woman for a drink. She questioned him on his request as the Jews and Samaritans did not deal with each other. Jesus spoke a parable which basically stated if she asked for water, it would have been given to her, so she should do the same.

The woman explained that the well was deep and she had nothing to draw the water with. Jesus explained that if she drank from that water she would thirst again, but if she drank from the water of life which Jesus had to offer, she would never thirst and would be filled with everlasting life.

She requested this water. Jesus asked her to fetch her husband and to return. She said she didn't have a husband but Jesus foretold her as she had previously 5 husbands, but her current man was not her husband. She asked if Jesus was a prophet.

The two entered into an argument about worshiping and who was right, the Jews or the Samaritans. Jesus explained that the Jews worship for salvation, they know what they worship. The woman explained that when Christ the Messiah came, he would tell them all things. Jesus said he was the Messiah.

Jesus's disciples ventured in at about this time with the meat from the town. The woman left her water pot and traveled back telling everyone that she believes Christ is here and he had told her everything she had ever done. They traveled up to meet Jesus.

Meanwhile, Jesus's disciples were trying to get him to eat. Jesus said that he had meat to eat that they knew not of. His meat was the will of the Father which sent him.

Jesus began talking about the Communistic system which governed this land. In so many words, people were working hard and receive wages, and those who only sought to Reap but not Sow were getting in on the profit. At least that's what I think it means.

If you want to double check and/or correct me, it is Chapter 3: Verse 35 - 38.

Many of the Samaritans believed in the Messiah due to the testimony which the woman gave, that Jesus had told her everything she ever did. They came unto him. They asked Jesus to stay and he did for 2 days. Many more began to believe him on his own word. He was Christ the Lord. 2 days came to past and he left. He finally ventured into Galilee.

Jesus traveled into Cana of Galilee where he had turned water into wine. Many already believed on him because of the miracles he had performed. When it was clear that Jesus had arrived, a man confronted Jesus and asked him to heal his sick and dying son.

Jesus told the man that unless he saw signs and wonders, he would not believe. The man requested Jesus to come again. Jesus told him to go away and that his child would live. He believed this word and left.

When the man got home, he was notified that his son's fever had left at the 7th hour the previous day. The man recalled that at this exact hour Jesus told him his son would live. He and his entire family now believed.

This was the second miracle Jesus performed while venturing from Judaea to Galilee.

tt1106
Aug 4th 2009, 01:20 PM
[B]Phew. This one's long. Let's get started.

The Pharisees figured out that Jesus had baptized more than John (even though Jesus hadn't baptized anyone, his disciples had). Jesus left and traveled to Galilee. He soon arrived at Sychar in Samaria, parched and tired. He found and sat a Jacob's well for a rest.

Soon a woman ventured toward the well, a Samaritans. Jesus's disciples were in town buying meat at this team. Jesus asked the woman for a drink. She questioned him on his request as the Jews and Samaritans did not deal with each other. Jesus spoke a parable which basically stated if she asked for water, it would have been given to her, so she should do the same.

The Jews would go out of their way to avoid Samaria. I mean literally, they would travel for days to keep from talking to a Samaritan. If they talked to a Samaritan, they considered themselves unclean and would have to abstain from eating or doing many other things until they were cleansed. This could include not going to temple.

The woman explained that the well was deep and she had nothing to draw the water with. Jesus explained that if she drank from that water she would thirst again, but if she drank from the water of life which Jesus had to offer, she would never thirst and would be filled with everlasting life.

She requested this water. Jesus asked her to fetch her husband and to return. She said she didn't have a husband but Jesus foretold her as she had previously 5 husbands, but her current man was not her husband. She asked if Jesus was a prophet.

The two entered into an argument about worshiping and who was right, the Jews or the Samaritans. Jesus explained that the Jews worship for salvation, they know what they worship. The woman explained that when Christ the Messiah came, he would tell them all things. Jesus said he was the Messiah.

Jesus's disciples ventured in at about this time with the meat from the town. The woman left her water pot and traveled back telling everyone that she believes Christ is here and he had told her everything she had ever done. They traveled up to meet Jesus.

Meanwhile, Jesus's disciples were trying to get him to eat. Jesus said that he had meat to eat that they knew not of. His meat was the will of the Father which sent him.

Itís also important to note, that this was a non-Jew. Meaning, it is clear Jesus is letting her know that the Salvation is for the Gentiles too. Many believe on him and he stays two days.

Jesus began talking about the Communistic system which governed this land. In so many words, people were working hard and receive wages, and those who only sought to Reap but not Sow were getting in on the profit. At least that's what I think it means.

If you want to double check and/or correct me, it is Chapter 3: Verse 35 - 38.
Do you mean Chapter 4. This is not on communism. Jesus is telling the Disciples that he has been doing the Lordís work, which is more satisfying than eating.
While he was there, many came to a saving faith. Christ is indicating to his disciples that he has sown he seeds, now they just need to reap what he has sown.

Many of the Samaritans believed in the Messiah due to the testimony which the woman gave, that Jesus had told her everything she ever did. They came unto him. They asked Jesus to stay and he did for 2 days. Many more began to believe him on his own word. He was Christ the Lord. 2 days came to past and he left. He finally ventured into Galilee.

Jesus traveled into Cana of Galilee where he had turned water into wine. Many already believed on him because of the miracles he had performed. When it was clear that Jesus had arrived, a man confronted Jesus and asked him to heal his sick and dying son.

Jesus told the man that unless he saw signs and wonders, he would not believe. The man requested Jesus to come again. Jesus told him to go away and that his child would live. He believed this word and left.

When the man got home, he was notified that his son's fever had left at the 7th hour the previous day. The man recalled that at this exact hour Jesus told him his son would live. He and his entire family now believed.

This was the second miracle Jesus performed while venturing from Judaea to Galilee.

Because of his Faith (The man requested Jesus to come again), Jesus Heals the child. Here again, we see Jesus acting on behalf on the believers. For instance the Bible makes no mention of the Boy being a believer, only the man. Jesus answers his petition, because of his faith.

Master Jake
Aug 4th 2009, 02:11 PM
The Jews would go out of their way to avoid Samaria. I mean literally, they would travel for days to keep from talking to a Samaritan. If they talked to a Samaritan, they considered themselves unclean and would have to abstain from eating or doing many other things until they were cleansed. This could include not going to temple.

Interesting information. I've felt that way about things before as well. No the uncleansed part, just going out of your way to not have to confront someone/thing.

Itís also important to note, that this was a non-Jew. Meaning, it is clear Jesus is letting her know that the Salvation is for the Gentiles too. Many believe on him and he stays two days.

Ahh.

Do you mean Chapter 4. This is not on communism. Jesus is telling the Disciples that he has been doing the Lordís work, which is more satisfying than eating.
While he was there, many came to a saving faith. Christ is indicating to his disciples that he has sown he seeds, now they just need to reap what he has sown.

Yes, sorry. I meant chapter 4. Thanks for clearing that up, I honestly couldn't figure out what it was talking about.

Because of his Faith (The man requested Jesus to come again), Jesus Heals the child. Here again, we see Jesus acting on behalf on the believers. For instance the Bible makes no mention of the Boy being a believer, only the man. Jesus answers his petition, because of his faith.

Ohhh. So that's what that meant. I didn't really understand that part either. Makes more sense now. Thanks!

Master Jake
Aug 5th 2009, 09:56 AM
Day 5 - Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Chapter 5 (Complete) [47 Verses]

Rawr.

Jesus traveled to Jerusalem for the feast. There was a pool there which an Angel had troubled. The pool now healed the ill of their diseases if they were to lie in it. Many were lying in the pool. Jesus saw an ill man in the pool. The man told Jesus (not knowing who he was speaking to) that he had no man to place him into the pool (he was ill and could not walk well). Jesus told him to rise and take up his bed. He did so and was healed.

The Jews soon found the man and told him that it is unlawful to take up his bed on today (the Sabbath). The man told the Jews that another man who healed him had told him to. They asked of who he spoke, and he could not tell them, for Jesus had not told him and had went away.

Jesus soon found the same man in a temple and told him to go about and sin no more for he was whole. The man went to the Jews and told them that it was Jesus that told him to take up his bed and made him whole. The Jews were furious that Jesus told him to do that on the Sabbath and wanted to persecute Jesus. When Jesus told them that he was the Son of God they were even more enraged with him (they did not believe it).

Jesus goes on for many verses explaining that the Father sent him, that he is the Son, the Father have given everything to him, he that doesn't believe on Jesus doesn't believe on the Father which sent him, he that does will have everlasting life, etc etc.

Jesus explained that the dead will soon rise. The good shall receive eternal glory and the bad eternal damnation.

Jesus said that there was another witness other than John, but they had not seen or heard this mysterious witness. The Jews thought they had everlasting life. Jesus told them to search the scriptures for the truth.

Jesus continued to explain they that did not have the love of God in them, that they did not believe in the Son of God. If they had believed Moses, they would believe in him for Moses wrote about him. They did not believe of his writings, however, so they did not believe in Jesus himself.

(-side note, I think that "Moses writings" is referring to the 10 Commandments)

End.

This one was a fairly short commentary. Most of it was Jesus explaining to the Jews that they were sinners, not filled with the Glory of God, and were not going to have everlasting life.

Master Jake
Aug 6th 2009, 11:08 AM
Day 6 - Thursday, August 06, 2009

Chapter 6 (Complete) [71 Verses]

Wow. The 6th day, August 6, and Chapter 6. How ironic.

Anyway, this one's really really long so let's begin.

Jesus went over the Sea of Galilee and many followed him (about 5,000). He soon sat down on a mountain with his disciples. It is then when he saw so many coming to see him after the miracles he performed. There was little bread and little fish. The fish and bread was gathered and distributed to the disciples, then the disciples distributed it among the men (who were now sitting on the grass at the mountain). Jesus had blessed the food already. When they ate of it, they were easily filled. They placed the remainder into 12 baskets showing how little they had eaten to become full.

Jesus perceived that the crowd would take him by force and make him a king, so he traveled into the mountain alone. His disciples went down to the sea and took a ship towards Capernaum. It was dark now and Jesus was nowhere to be found. Soon they saw Jesus walking across the sea and they were frightened. Jesus told them it was him and not to be afraid. They accepted him aboard the ship and arrived at land immediately.

The next day, the people on the other side of the sea saw that the disciples had left alone and Jesus had not went with them. They soon traveled towards Capernaum seeking Jesus. When they found him they asked him when he had gotten there. He told them that they seeketh him not because of the miracles but because he had filled them with such little bread. Jesus then related that feeling to the meat of God and how they would have everlasting life.

Many verses go on to explain that Jesus was sent by the Father to do his will and that Jesus is the way to everlasting life, that whoever believes on him shall have it and that believing on him is the will of the Father which works they wanted to do.

The Jews started murmuring and doubting Jesus. Jesus once again explained in many verses exactly what was said in the previous verse. He also added that whosoever drinketh his blood and eateth his flesh will have everlasting life. He explained that he had came down from heaven, the Jews doubted again as they knew his father and mother, Joseph and Mary.

The chat continues and soon Jesus called out on some of his disciples. He knew the futures of all his disciples and who believed and believed not and would betray him. He called them out, and some left and stopped following him.

12 remained. Jesus asked them if they would go also. They asked Jesus where they would go, as Jesus held the truth of eternal life and they believed in him and that he was the Son of God. Jesus said that one of them was a devil in question form.

He was speaking of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon (1 of the 12 which would betray him).

tt1106
Aug 6th 2009, 01:15 PM
Day 5 - Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Chapter 5 (Complete) [47 Verses]

Rawr.

Jesus traveled to Jerusalem for the feast. There was a pool there which an Angel had troubled. The pool now healed the ill of their diseases if they were to lie in it. Many were lying in the pool. Jesus saw an ill man in the pool. The man told Jesus (not knowing who he was speaking to) that he had no man to place him into the pool (he was ill and could not walk well). Jesus told him to rise and take up his bed. He did so and was healed.

Thereís some MEAT here Jake. J
Jesus went to Jerusalem to observe Passover. While he was there he visited the hospitals. The place where the waters were, was a place where many of the ďinfirmĒ were.
This particular gentleman had been sick for 38 years. Meaning, he was pretty much incurable and would have been known throughout the region as being ill.
He also has no man to help him, meaning he doesnít have any friends, so in addition to the illness or condition you have isolation and loneliness. No one would help him get into the pools, and even when he was almost there, people stepped over him to get in ahead of him.

In this case, Jesus asks him if he wants to be healed and his response is one of despair.

Jesus commands him to get up. He further commands him to take up his bed and walk.
This is Christ commanding and healing and then telling him to take up the evidence of his infirmity, so everybody can see that a true miracle has been wrought.
And he did it on the Sabbath.

The Jews soon found the man and told him that it is unlawful to take up his bed on today (the Sabbath). The man told the Jews that another man who healed him had told him to. They asked of who he spoke, and he could not tell them, for Jesus had not told him and had went away.

Jesus soon found the same man in a temple and told him to go about and sin no more for he was whole. The man went to the Jews and told them that it was Jesus that told him to take up his bed and made him whole. The Jews were furious that Jesus told him to do that on the Sabbath and wanted to persecute Jesus. When Jesus told them that he was the Son of God they were even more enraged with him (they did not believe it).
This would be considered Blasphemy and was punishable by death.
Jesus tells him to stop sinning or something worse awaits him. That something is Hell.

Jesus goes on for many verses explaining that the Father sent him, that he is the Son, the Father have given everything to him, he that doesn't believe on Jesus doesn't believe on the Father which sent him, he that does will have everlasting life, etc etc.

Jesus explained that the dead will soon rise. The good shall receive eternal glory and the bad eternal damnation.

Jesus said that there was another witness other than John, but they had not seen or heard this mysterious witness. The Jews thought they had everlasting life. Jesus told them to search the scriptures for the truth.

Jesus continued to explain they that did not have the love of God in them, that they did not believe in the Son of God. If they had believed Moses, they would believe in him for Moses wrote about him. They did not believe of his writings, however, so they did not believe in Jesus himself.

Not the ten Commandments. Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Pent-Meaning 5. 1st five books.
Genesis 3:15
15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Jesus is her seed, descended from Adam and Eve, although Satan bruised his heel (crucifixion), Jesus bruised his head (heel wound is minor, head wound is fatal). And
If you read through it, you see God raising up a specific lineage, starting with Abraham, then through Isaac and Jacob. God is outlining the plan for salvation through a certain blood line. Jesus comes from those descendants.

Master Jake
Aug 7th 2009, 11:44 AM
Day 7 - Thursday, August 07, 2009

Chapter 7 (Complete) [53 Verses]

Jesus walked in Galilee. His brethren (whoever they are) told him to go into Judaea and show what he had done so his disciples would also believe. He couldn't expect to be known openly if he worked in secret, so he should show himself to the world.

Jesus told them his time was not ready, but there's was always ready. He told them to go up to the feast of the Jews and that Jesus would not go. His brethren went to the feast and Jesus went in secrecy (no one knew).

The Jews were looking for Jesus at the feast, asking where he was. They wanted to kill him. There was a debate occurring among the people as some thought Jesus was a good man and others thought he was a deceiver. No man spoke openly of Jesus, however, because they did not want the Jews to kill them.

Jesus went up to the feast and began teaching. The Jews marveled at him and were amazed at how he knew the doctrine but never learned it. Jesus told them that it was the doctrine of God the Father who sent him and that he must know it therefore.

Jesus went on to talk about Moses giving them the law and them not obeying it. The world hated Jesus because he came to tell everyone that the world was evil. Some of Jerusalem soon realized who this was talking and asked if this was not the one they seeked to kill.

They continued talking and many believed. Soon the Pharisees overheard the conversation and sent officers to take Jesus. Jesus gave some words saying that soon he would be in heaven with the Father which sent him, and they would be unable to find him or go with him if they did not believe.

Jesus spoke out saying that anyone who thirst to come drink his blood and have everlasting life. A division of the people was at hand, as many believed, yet some continued in disbelief. Regardless, no man would touch him.

The officers returned the chief priests of Pharisees. They wanted to know why the officers didn't have Jesus. They said no man spoke like him. The officers asked if they were also deceived. Nicodemus argued to give Jesus a trial before judging what he had done since they knew not.

They Pharisees said no prophets come from Galilee and everyone went home. A great way to end the day =p

Elijah's Mantle
Aug 11th 2009, 03:37 AM
:idea: I so needed a awesome word it lifts me up and begins to feel like Healing to me :saint:
:hug: greatly needed actually