PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Secular Music?

JordanW
Aug 17th 2009, 02:26 AM
I was just curious as to what all of your thoughts were on this subject. For quite a few months I didn't listen to it because I felt that it wasn't right to do so (because a lot of it has lyrics that aren't God-glorifying at all) and I felt that the Lord didn't want me to listen to it. Recently I stumbled upon some of my CDs and listened to some of them again, at first I was like, "Ah, the good old days!", but then after listening for a few minutes it seemed to be very boring and lackluster, it just didn't seem to have any substance to it. I think that maybe it doesn't mean much to me anymore, but something keeps drawing me back to it for some reason, but I do know that deep down I know that I want my focus to be 100% on the Lord. I am a Pastor now and I have that responsibility and I don't want this type of thing to tempt me in anyway or effect my preaching in any way whatsoever...anyways, sorry for rambling on, but I just wanted to know your thoughts on secular music and if Christians should be listening to it? I hope to get a fruitful discussion going. God bless!

Ayala
Aug 17th 2009, 02:29 AM
I generally don't listen to secular music. I have a plethora of Christian music in many genres. There are secular songs I like but I avert anything with negative messages/coarse lyrics.

stepbystep
Aug 17th 2009, 05:32 AM
i find if i listen to secular music i feel a little guilty about it. but mostly if i listen to it for an extended period of time i find myself slipping back into ways of thought and speech that just doesn't fit me any more, so i just avoid it when ever possible.

JordanW
Aug 17th 2009, 06:38 AM
I see both of your points, I guess that's what happens to me as well.

Izdaari
Aug 17th 2009, 12:53 PM
I have no problem with secular music and often listen to it. Although sometimes I will remove something with a particularly negative message from my playlist.

quasar
Aug 17th 2009, 01:35 PM
I listen to secular music as well as Christian music. As long as it's not explicit it seems ok for me to listen to. I listen to a lot of classical music.

Nick J
Aug 17th 2009, 03:58 PM
I listen to a lot of secular music as well, so long as it has a positive message i can relate to

Athanasius
Aug 17th 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm listening to E.S. Posthumus right now (the song Ebla), actually. Not Christian, but probably wouldn't fit most people's definition of secular either. Very orchastral stuff.

JordanW
Aug 18th 2009, 12:22 AM
If secular music causes one to sin or to meditate on sin then it would be a good idea to do what Jesus said and "cut it off" wouldn't you think? Would if be a good idea to throw it away, sell it? Any thoughts?

Ayala
Aug 18th 2009, 12:28 AM
Do away with anything that causes you to sin. If it's sinful material, trash it.

And stepbystep and Izdaari...I'm sorry to say but you guys are a bit too advanced in age to post here. (25 and under)

Friend of Jesus
Aug 19th 2009, 08:25 PM
If secular music causes one to sin or to meditate on sin then it would be a good idea to do what Jesus said and "cut it off" wouldn't you think? Would if be a good idea to throw it away, sell it? Any thoughts?

Yep sounds like a plan. However much secular music can be a gift from God and can help you draw close to him in the right circumstances.

For instance when I was in a bad place spiritually God used the song "Far away" by Nickelback to tell me of his love for me, even though I was down.

As a result I have spent many weeks recieving from God and living in intimate relationship with him.

Hardly sinful if God will use it!

JohnnyD
Aug 20th 2009, 12:58 AM
I listen to secular music as well as Christian music. As long as it's not explicit it seems ok for me to listen to. I listen to a lot of classical music.

You kidding me! Classical Music is the original Christian music! It has so much power and enthusiasm behind it. Look at some of the titles! :)

motormouf
Sep 6th 2009, 08:58 PM
I listen to it so far, but i have certain criteria for what i listen to nothing that encourages-

sex or vulgar behaviour
has in cursing
encourages violence
Anything anti christian

Luke34
Sep 7th 2009, 05:33 PM
I find the very existence of the "Christian" musical genre to be ridiculous. Genres of music are supposed to be defined by, you know, the music, not the lyrics. Every single other genre is defined by musical qualities--timbre, performance style, etc. "Christian" music is defined by whether the song is about the Christian religion. That is an utterly useless way to classify music (not that genre distinctions on the whole are the most useful things ever, but at least they serve some kind of purpose), and to claim it's your "favorite" or "only" genre is insulting to musicians, because it's suggesting that no matter how good and original and innovative and well-constructed and -performed a song is, it's only worth consideration if it says "Jesus" in the lyrics.

And the existence of "Christian rap" or "country" or whatever is ridiculous, too, because it also elevates genres above all importance--it implies that you don't really care about listening to musically good artists in the rap or country genres (assuming there are any), you merely want to listen to music that fulfills the generic requirements of "rap" or "country," and also says "Jesus." That's rather insulting, no? And it results in every "contemporary Christian" band I've ever heard being content to be utterly unoriginal in every way, merely echoing the broadest tropes of whatever genre they're in, because musical innovation isn't going to be what sells records (not that it is anyway, except in an ideal world, but you know); whether the song has a "good message" will be. This is not only insulting to Christians and musicians, but extremely dangerous; it increases mainstream pop music's artistic stasis at least as much as the latest banal Black Eyed Peas single does, by cynically casting aside considerations of quality or innovation and asking listeners to like something just because it mentions God.

Anyway, here's final proof that music's being "Christian" or not has no bearing on musical quality:

"Christian" music: Bach's Mass in B minor, "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
"Secular" music: Winterreise, "Boom Boom Pow"

Ayala
Sep 7th 2009, 07:43 PM
I can't speak for other people, but I don't believe anyone here is referencing "Christian" as a genre because no such thing exists. A genre is, as you described, a kind of music. What's being discussed is not genre of music...rather the lyrical content of the music itself...Christian or secular. Speaking strictly of sound, style, and composition...I've heard great and horrible Christian music in many genres, just I've heard great and horrible secular music in many genres. But this digresses from the main subject of the thread.

Luke34
Sep 8th 2009, 04:27 AM
I can't speak for other people, but I don't believe anyone here is referencing "Christian" as a genre because no such thing exists. A genre is, as you described, a kind of music. What's being discussed is not genre of music...rather the lyrical content of the music itself...Christian or secular. Speaking strictly of sound, style, and composition...I've heard great and horrible Christian music in many genres, just I've heard great and horrible secular music in many genres. But this digresses from the main subject of the thread.If it's not a question of music, then I'm not really sure why it should even be a category. Very rarely does anyone speak of "love songs" in general, or of "self-pity songs," or whatever, because there are so many of them across all genres and quality levels that nothing useful can be said about them as a group. And regardless of whether it is a genre or not, many people seem to treat it as such--listening to "Christian" to the exclusion of all other music. Again, no-one listens to "love songs" exclusively, because that would just be weird.

Besides, "contemporary Christian music" is undeniably a genre, with its own Wikipedia article and Billboard chart and everything (it also outsells classical music, jazz, and film music, which is the most depressing thing I've heard in a couple of days). Yes, there are other elements to the genre besides the lyrics, but defining it in any way by the lyrics is still sort of dumb. And I don't think I'll ever understand listening to music for the subject matter; it seems to me like it's the same as saying "I like movies about children" or "I like to read books about middle-aged women." No-one says those things, and certainly no-one watches/reads those things exclusively, so why do people say it about "Christian" music?

Ayala
Sep 8th 2009, 05:16 AM
You're more than entitled to your thoughts.

When someone asks me what kinds of music I listen to, I don't say the "Christian" kind. I tell them, I listen to metal, rock, rap, hip-hop, trip-hop, classical, orchestral, etc...because those, in my book, are "kinds" of music. The topic of this thread, however, pertains to the content of the music. Music that is Christian in nature and music that is not. The vast majority of what I listen to is "Christian" in its nature. I don't make any attempt to appeal to anyone about that. There are songs and artists that I enjoy and appreciate that aren't defined as "Christian" by what they sing about...but all the same...as a servant of Christ, I'm careful about what I let into my ears. A song could have great composition and an awesome beat but if it's about something that goes contrary to the One I live my life for, I'm not going to indulge it.

kblack177
Sep 8th 2009, 03:46 PM
I was just curious as to what all of your thoughts were on this subject. For quite a few months I didn't listen to it because I felt that it wasn't right to do so (because a lot of it has lyrics that aren't God-glorifying at all) and I felt that the Lord didn't want me to listen to it. Recently I stumbled upon some of my CDs and listened to some of them again, at first I was like, "Ah, the good old days!", but then after listening for a few minutes it seemed to be very boring and lackluster, it just didn't seem to have any substance to it. I think that maybe it doesn't mean much to me anymore, but something keeps drawing me back to it for some reason, but I do know that deep down I know that I want my focus to be 100% on the Lord. I am a Pastor now and I have that responsibility and I don't want this type of thing to tempt me in anyway or effect my preaching in any way whatsoever...anyways, sorry for rambling on, but I just wanted to know your thoughts on secular music and if Christians should be listening to it? I hope to get a fruitful discussion going. God bless!

In my opinion you did the right thing by allowing God to lead you on rather or not you should listen to secular music. I will simply say that You should continue to be led by him and work out your OWN soul salvation. I personally dont think their's anything wrong with listening to other genres of music but God will sometimes tell me to turn it off and put on some gospel.I make sure to try and balance the two and dont put too much of the "world" in my system lol.

xSTEADFASTx
Oct 2nd 2009, 06:04 AM
i listen to alot of secular music; and christain music. i dont see a problem with music; its about your heart.

Hollywood8098
Oct 2nd 2009, 06:07 AM
For me personally, I lean heavier towards secular music than Christian. While there's a lot of Christian music I do enjoy, I was listening to secular music long before even becoming a Christian and even after becoming a Christian it's very much so been a part of my life. I work in the music business so I'm surrounded by it anyways ;) My own music I do is secular. I'm a Christian artist. I'm a pop artist. I write my music based upon my life's experiences, my thoughts, or feelings. It's a creative outlet. Sometimes those things may involve God (because obviously he is a major part of my life), sometimes it may not and could be about a relationship for example. There are many secular songs I've heard that may not be about God, but have had positive or relatable messages in them. For me secular music isn't an issue. I think for anything whether it be music, television, movies, etc. I think those things only become a real problem if you find it influencing you in a sinful way and pulling you further from God. Everyone's limitations are different. Also some Christians are more conservative than others. I know I've always been on more of the liberal side.

Pre
Oct 4th 2009, 03:05 AM
I listen almost exclusively to secular music, mainly because I don't like the majority of Christian music. I like hard rock music, and most Christian music I run across isn't my cup of tea in terms of genre and style. I should probably look for some Christian rock bands that I'd actually enjoy.

Ayala
Oct 4th 2009, 06:55 AM
They're not that hard to find. Hard rock is a pretty general label though...What genres more specifically?

emperormar
Oct 4th 2009, 10:47 PM
I'd say 80% of the music I listen to doesn't have Christian lyrics. I have never been into mainstream music of the vulgar kind. I prefer innovative, talented music with excellent vocals. Even as far as Christian bands go they don't always have clear God praising lyrics.
God fortunately made me intolerant of artistically bad/untalented music like much of what we have today and the majority of that has terrible lyrics anyway.
Even listening to Christian lyrics my heart doesn't always praise God because the song is, I just listen because I like the songs. Other times I thank God for music and talent of non-christian musicians that I enjoy.

Athanasius
Oct 4th 2009, 11:54 PM
I listen almost exclusively to secular music, mainly because I don't like the majority of Christian music. I like hard rock music, and most Christian music I run across isn't my cup of tea in terms of genre and style. I should probably look for some Christian rock bands that I'd actually enjoy.

Well, here's some Christian "hard rock"

lMg2OGeRQG8

Hollywood8098
Oct 5th 2009, 06:23 AM
Shameless plug ~ If you guys are interested at all check out my church's band/worship team, Press Play. Hope you enjoy their music :D

http://www.myspace.com/ThisIspressplay

brokengirl
Oct 5th 2009, 08:39 PM
If I feel the music is bringing me down, I change it. If I feel it's making me desire things of the world, ie if the song is about something sexual, drugs, too much cursing, or something like that, I change it. But if it's just what I consider good clean fun, I don't see any harm. I listen to both christian and secular music.

ScottWoods
Oct 6th 2009, 12:15 AM
And the existence of "Christian rap" or "country" or whatever is ridiculous, too, because it also elevates genres above all importance--it implies that you don't really care about listening to musically good artists in the rap or country genres (assuming there are any), you merely want to listen to music that fulfills the generic requirements of "rap" or "country," and also says "Jesus." That's rather insulting, no? And it results in every "contemporary Christian" band I've ever heard being content to be utterly unoriginal in every way, merely echoing the broadest tropes of whatever genre they're in, because musical innovation isn't going to be what sells records (not that it is anyway, except in an ideal world, but you know); whether the song has a "good message" will be. This is not only insulting to Christians and musicians, but extremely dangerous; it increases mainstream pop music's artistic stasis at least as much as the latest banal Black Eyed Peas single does, by cynically casting aside considerations of quality or innovation and asking listeners to like something just because it mentions God.

I strongly agree.

Just because music mentions God, it is not necessarily GOOD. Christian Rap, such as what our pastors used to play before our youth services, honestly makes me angry; All it does is take pop culture's rap music, which typically celebrates sex, drugs and violence, and replace the lyrics in the hopes of making "cool" music and paralleling popular culture.

I see music itself as a gift from God, though some certainly pervert it. Secular music is not necessarily bad because it doesn't explicitly praise God. But remember, it isn't so much the artist's intent, but yours. For example, you can worship God for his creation (music) when listening to, say, Led Zeppelin, or John Coltrane.

However, if the music is encouraging you to sin or similarly affecting you in a negative way, it's best to "cut it off."

Athanasius
Oct 7th 2009, 01:55 AM
I strongly agree.

Just because music mentions God, it is not necessarily GOOD. Christian Rap, such as what our pastors used to play before our youth services, honestly makes me angry; All it does is take pop culture's rap music, which typically celebrates sex, drugs and violence, and replace the lyrics in the hopes of making "cool" music and paralleling popular culture.

I see music itself as a gift from God, though some certainly pervert it. Secular music is not necessarily bad because it doesn't explicitly praise God. But remember, it isn't so much the artist's intent, but yours. For example, you can worship God for his creation (music) when listening to, say, Led Zeppelin, or John Coltrane.

However, if the music is encouraging you to sin or similarly affecting you in a negative way, it's best to "cut it off."

Can I worship God for his creation when I listen to, say, Naglfar? I'm not entirely sure I agree with this, 'you make it what it is' attitude. Seems to be an awful fickle thing.

vja4Him
Oct 7th 2009, 02:21 AM
I am very selective with any secular music I listen to ... Mostly classical, some jazz, folk, oldies. But I always enjoy getting back to Christian music. Besides, there is such a wide variety of Christian music anyways ....

I'm out of here ... I'm an oldster, but thought I'd give my two cents .... !!!

Punchy
Aug 5th 2010, 12:50 AM
I listen to secular music and christian music. In fact, all of the songs on my ipod are from secular rock bands. If you want to know the name of a good secular rock band that is made up of christian members, look for Flyleaf or Switchfoot.

the sound
Aug 5th 2010, 10:00 AM
I listen to secular music and christian music. In fact, all of the songs on my ipod are from secular rock bands. If you want to know the name of a good secular rock band that is made up of christian members, look for Flyleaf or Switchfoot.

Last i checked they were both considerd Christian rock bands.

I listen to only secular music. True the message might not be the best but "Christian" bands make me far too uncomfortable. They are too preachy and come off self righteous. Since I am new to being a Christian I thought I would give "Christian" bands a go and I downloaded a hand full of songs. Like Third day, five iron frenzy, and newsboys. Honestly because those were the only ones I could think of. I listened to them and I was mad that I had spent like 14 bucks on iTunes. The only ones I kept were 3 songs by FIF.

I mean even fly leaf is too preachy for me. Music is a very big part of my life and I was hoping that could be reflected in the music I listened to but man if those are my choices I am sorry I just can't do it.

GitRDunn
Aug 9th 2010, 02:15 AM
Last i checked they were both considerd Christian rock bands.

I listen to only secular music. True the message might not be the best but "Christian" bands make me far too uncomfortable. They are too preachy and come off self righteous. Since I am new to being a Christian I thought I would give "Christian" bands a go and I downloaded a hand full of songs. Like Third day, five iron frenzy, and newsboys. Honestly because those were the only ones I could think of. I listened to them and I was mad that I had spent like 14 bucks on iTunes. The only ones I kept were 3 songs by FIF.

I mean even fly leaf is too preachy for me. Music is a very big part of my life and I was hoping that could be reflected in the music I listened to but man if those are my choices I am sorry I just can't do it.
You might try Skillet and Red. Flyleaf and Switchfoot are also both really good.

the sound
Aug 9th 2010, 07:24 AM
You might try Skillet and Red. Flyleaf and Switchfoot are also both really good.

I bought flyleafs debute because at a record store they were selling it for like $7 when it 1st came out with a sticker saying "up and coming band" and i am always looking for good new music. Musicly it was pretty good. she has a good voice and all of the members are talented but i didn't care for the lyrics, at the time i wasn't a christian. I relistened to it now as a christian and i still wasn't terribly impressed by their wrighting. I am really big into lyrics. switchfoot saddly fell into that "if i hear this song one more time i am going to lose my mind" due to them being over played on the radio back in 2003.

But i will give skillet and red a try. If anyone can think of a Christian band that has amazing lyrics let me know.

vja4Him
Aug 10th 2010, 01:59 AM
Check out 38th Parallel, Skillet, P.O.D., Demon Hunter, Project 86.

Not sure what you mean by, "too preachy," but don't you want to hear some kind of Christian message?

Reynolds357
Aug 10th 2010, 02:19 AM

Really can not figure out why you do not like sound Christian message in your music.
If the Newsboys are too "preachy" I guess you must really hate setting through a sermon at Church.

GitRDunn
Aug 10th 2010, 02:20 AM
I bought flyleafs debute because at a record store they were selling it for like $7 when it 1st came out with a sticker saying "up and coming band" and i am always looking for good new music. Musicly it was pretty good. she has a good voice and all of the members are talented but i didn't care for the lyrics, at the time i wasn't a christian. I relistened to it now as a christian and i still wasn't terribly impressed by their wrighting. I am really big into lyrics. switchfoot saddly fell into that "if i hear this song one more time i am going to lose my mind" due to them being over played on the radio back in 2003.

But i will give skillet and red a try. If anyone can think of a Christian band that has amazing lyrics let me know.
If you listen to any type of secular rock and roll radio station I can pretty much guarantee that you have heard some of Skillet and Red's stuff.

vja also made some good suggestions. Some others you might try (you can always listen to a couple of songs on playlist.com or something in order to try these bands out) are 12 Stones, Pillar, and Casting Crowns.

GitRDunn
Aug 10th 2010, 02:22 AM
Really can not figure out why you do not like sound Christian message in your music.
If the Newsboys are too "preachy" I guess you must really hate setting through a sermon at Church.
I am assuming that you quoted me by mistake? I was listing some good bands for him to try.

Reynolds357
Aug 10th 2010, 02:24 AM
I am assuming that you quoted me by mistake? I was listing some good bands for him to try.

Yep. sure did........

GitRDunn
Aug 10th 2010, 05:38 AM
I was thinking and thought of a couple others that you might try: This Beautiful Republic and Ivoryline.

the sound
Aug 16th 2010, 05:15 PM

no church it's a good thing in music not so much, makes me uncomfortable. It's all just love songs changed to Jesus rather then baby or whatever, it never makes me think.

tornado1034
Aug 18th 2010, 06:44 AM
Lol the only music I listen to is secular music; basically, the American Top 100 is what I like to listen to.

brandonamurray
Sep 29th 2010, 02:02 AM
I agree with the consensus here - if it causes you to sin, maybe you should avoid it. My problem is that being a pretty serious music fan, limiting myself to songs about God can be extremely limiting. Honestly, I find that generally, with a few exceptions, secular music is simply better than Christian music.

brandonamurray
Sep 29th 2010, 02:04 AM
mewithoutyou. Their first three albums are incredible - especially lyrically. Musically, it may take some getting used to.

Ixthus
Nov 20th 2010, 05:19 PM
This discussion reminds me of 1 Corinthians 10 when Paul is talking about eating meat from the market. A lot of that meat was sacrificed to other gods. Secular music is kind of the same thing from my point of view. The act is not sinful so long as don't cause someone to stumble because of it. Its lawful to do but not necessarily good for us. I don't think there is a set in stone answer that can describe the situation for each and every person, but its something to think about. I happen to listen to both secular and Christian. However, my personal preference is older music because its easier to sort out the artists I like and don't like.

FitzDarcy
Dec 4th 2010, 03:22 AM
I listen to a good mixture of both. My favorite Christian Band is "Petra." They have rocky songs and ballads, and also quite a bit of music since they were together for 33 years. I also listen to -
Elvis Presley
The Monkees
Susan Boyle
Dan Fogelberg
Olivia Newton John
Alabama
And more...
I don't listen to EVERYTHING by them, because there are standards the music has to live up to. It has to be free of dirty talking, swearing, and such...
I also listen to Veggietales. :D
Also, I've been listening to Tim Hawkins. He is a Christian comedian, but he also sings parodies. He is so funny!

Reynolds357
Dec 4th 2010, 03:35 AM
no church it's a good thing in music not so much, makes me uncomfortable. It's all just love songs changed to Jesus rather then baby or whatever, it never makes me think.

I can cite you a long list of theologically deep songs.

Reynolds357
Dec 4th 2010, 03:36 AM
I listen to a good mixture of both. My favorite Christian Band is "Petra." They have rocky songs and ballads, and also quite a bit of music since they were together for 33 years. I also listen to -
Elvis Presley
The Monkees
Susan Boyle
Dan Fogelberg
Olivia Newton John
Alabama
And more...
I don't listen to EVERYTHING by them, because there are standards the music has to live up to. It has to be free of dirty talking, swearing, and such...
I also listen to Veggietales. :D
Also, I've been listening to Tim Hawkins. He is a Christian comedian, but he also sings parodies. He is so funny!

I liked Petra myself. WAY BACK IN THE DAY.

FitzDarcy
Dec 4th 2010, 05:25 AM
Liked? :confused

Athanasius
Dec 4th 2010, 03:34 PM
Liked? :confused

Petra are alright ;} But what has me wondering is why all my Christian friends / acquiantances would tell me how hard sounding Petra was, when they really weren't. For many of my friends, they were the 'hardest of hard' of Christian 'metal'.

FitzDarcy
Dec 4th 2010, 06:52 PM
I haven't really ventured farther then Petra when it comes to Christian Rock. My dad used to listen to other bands and I have heard some other stuff that was way harder than Petra. I didn't really like it though. I couldn't understand much of what they were saying, lol. Although, I still have some difficulty in making out some of Petra's songs. I love that they have a mix of different kinds of music throughout all of their stuff. I also really like John Schlitt's solo albums! I like Greg Volz's solo albums, too, but not as much.

the sound
Dec 13th 2010, 11:50 PM
I can cite you a long list of theologically deep songs.

please do i am always looking for new music.

Pretty_Wings
Dec 16th 2010, 08:56 PM
I listen to all kinds of music. Secular and Christian. Listening to Secular music don't make me sin. I would say if it does make you sin or if it makes you feel guilty than don't listen to it.

Withoutfcf
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:00 AM
Alright well..depends on what music you are listening to.. Worship is an attitude of the heart. i believe that the common radio is bad because half of it is sinful..but if the music is encouraging then not so wrong?

maybe not focused on god but doesn't mean you can't forward the lyrics to god i guess you could say :)

so alot of it is bad so don't pull yourself into it but there is alot of good stuff out there that is just musically amazing that is still encouraging and in no way bad.