PDA

View Full Version : Humor in the Bible

Gypsy
Aug 17th 2009, 08:35 PM
Has a person, to whom I've been trying to witness of late, ask me if there are any examples of humor in the bible. Can anyone think of any? Can you recall Jesus ever using humor or laughing?

Blessings.

The Mighty Sword
Aug 17th 2009, 09:04 PM
Jesus jokes about the rich:
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matthew 19:23).

"You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!"(Matthew 23:24)

I mean really, can a camel pass through the eye of a needle??? No!
If that's not funny I give up.:lol:

wenlock
Aug 17th 2009, 09:09 PM
Has a person, to whom I've been trying to witness of late, ask me if there are any examples of humor in the bible. Can anyone think of any? Can you recall Jesus ever using humor or laughing?
Well, if it's wrong to laugh, there is no hope for me. Some naturally occurring things are just funny, and I can't help laughing. I'm sure most people are the same. I'm sure Jesus saw the funny side of things, too, but there is nothing to laugh at for one who faces taking the guilt and the sin of the whole world, so in the gospels there is nothing amusing recorded. It would be utterly out of place there. Sin is deadly serious, and must be dealt with appropriately.

RollTide21
Aug 17th 2009, 09:11 PM
I've always thought that every time Jesus's disciples misunderstood Jesus was probably a hilarious thing to see. He'd always respond to them with what seemed like dripping sarcasm. I always imagined Jesus just shaking his head and rolling his eyes in those instances. LOL.

timmyb
Aug 17th 2009, 10:25 PM
Well, if it's wrong to laugh, there is no hope for me. Some naturally occurring things are just funny, and I can't help laughing. I'm sure most people are the same. I'm sure Jesus saw the funny side of things, too, but there is nothing to laugh at for one who faces taking the guilt and the sin of the whole world, so in the gospels there is nothing amusing recorded. It would be utterly out of place there. Sin is deadly serious, and must be dealt with appropriately.

have you ever looked any of the creatures that God made? some of those are some funny looking creatures...

In Psalm 2 the Lord laughed at the kings who gathered against him.

We are made to laugh because our God is a God of Joy, and God doesn't have a sense of humor, then I wouldn't want to follow him.

I love it when God pulls a fast one on me...

In Dust and Ashes
Aug 17th 2009, 10:38 PM

When I was visiting Israel, my guide pointed out these really small doorways called an "eye of a needle." They were built to keep horses from coming into the building and were only big enough for a grown person to get through while bending over pretty far. My guide said that may have been what Jesus was referring to when he said that.

Just tonight at dinner my family was talking about some ironies in names and my brother pointed out that a lot of names in the bible are pretty ironic. For instance Methusela's name means "When he dies/it will bring." There are loads of others just as funny.

I think God's humor is subtle and smart. He says things that make you think and somewhere in there, he's hidden something that will make you laugh when you get it.

notuptome
Aug 18th 2009, 02:40 AM
When I was visiting Israel, my guide pointed out these really small doorways called an "eye of a needle." They were built to keep horses from coming into the building and were only big enough for a grown person to get through while bending over pretty far. My guide said that may have been what Jesus was referring to when he said that.
Quite correct. If a traveler arrived at a city after the gates were closed the only way he and his camel could go in was through the little gate within the gate. It would have been necessary to unload the camel and have it get down on its knees and crawl through the gate. As we would say today a real pain.

Just tonight at dinner my family was talking about some ironies in names and my brother pointed out that a lot of names in the bible are pretty ironic. For instance Methusela's name means "When he dies/it will bring." There are loads of others just as funny.

I think God's humor is subtle and smart. He says things that make you think and somewhere in there, he's hidden something that will make you laugh when you get it.
I gotta think God was smiling when he made the platypus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

crossnote
Aug 18th 2009, 04:42 AM
He led mankind to invent mirrors. :B

Denny606
Aug 18th 2009, 06:21 AM
Look at the giraffe,long neck and front legs,and short back ones and a face only a mother could love and then he made it orange and yellow spotted,I say it took quite a sense of humor to think that one up

daughter
Aug 18th 2009, 06:54 AM
I gotta think God was smiling when he made the platypus.

Indeed... I imagine it went something like this. "Hey, Adam... you won't get this yet, but this should really confuse some evolutionists some day..."

I think Solomon told quite a few jokes in proverbs. He'd sooner sit on the corner of a roof than share a palace with nagging wife would he? He shouldn't have married so many nagging wives then!

Peter's name, when you think of it, is a joke. "Hey, Rocky! Get over here..." And what about the Sons of Thunder?

daughter
Aug 18th 2009, 06:59 AM
Oh... it's worth getting him to watch the Visual Bible's Gospel of John, if he wants to see how funny Jesus could actually be. Here's a link to a guy on youtube who has posted the entire thing in hi def.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PassionDuChrist

Firefighter
Aug 18th 2009, 12:10 PM
Paul asked the church at Corinth if they would rather him come in love or with a big stick. Maybe it is because I am a pastor, but I always found that hilarious...:lol:

daughter
Aug 18th 2009, 12:27 PM
Paul is full of these gems. I can't help but laugh when he says of those in favour of circumcision... "I wish they would cut themselves off!"

RabbiKnife
Aug 18th 2009, 01:58 PM
I like when Elijah tellsthe priest of Ba'al...

"Hey, yell louder. Maybe your god is in the bathroom relieving himself...."

Too funny...

thunderbyrd
Aug 18th 2009, 02:01 PM
i always thought Jesus calling james and john the "sons of thunder" was humor.

In Dust and Ashes
Aug 18th 2009, 02:09 PM
I like when Elijah tellsthe priest of Ba'al...

"Hey, yell louder. Maybe your god is in the bathroom relieving himself...."

Too funny...

I always thought my parents made that part up when they would read it to me! That definitely made us all laugh!

Firefighter
Aug 18th 2009, 02:19 PM
Did you ever notice they (adults) left off the ending to that story when we were kids???

RabbiKnife
Aug 18th 2009, 02:20 PM
What, the hacking to pieces part?

Firefighter
Aug 18th 2009, 02:33 PM
That would be the one... 400 and some odd people sliced and diced and even made into mounds of Puree'...:lol:

crossnote
Aug 18th 2009, 11:26 PM
Jonah's free passage to Ninevah is worth a chuckle. :eek:
Oh yeah, and I am sure he spooked the natives upon his arrival...no wonder they repented.

cajunman4life
Aug 19th 2009, 12:17 AM
How about Paul in Acts 26:29?

Paul replied, "Short time or long—I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains."

It must have taken a sense of humor to chill in prison for so long with false accusations leveled against you...

In Dust and Ashes
Aug 19th 2009, 02:26 AM
Jonah's free passage to Ninevah is worth a chuckle. :eek:
Oh yeah, and I am sure he spooked the natives upon his arrival...no wonder they repented.

That part that makes me laugh about that is when he finishes ministering to them and goes to sit on a hill outside the city and asks God to kill him and God takes away his shade instead and makes him sit in the sun.

Diggindeeper
Aug 19th 2009, 02:46 AM
I always thought this was funny, at least when reading it in this day and time...

Deuteronomy 24:5
5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

Well...uh...today, I'd be tempted to say that man is a lazy loafin' freeloader!

Just stay home and cheer up his wife? For a YEAR? They'd both get pretty hungry in a year! And the electric would be turned off for non-payment. And they sure couldn't go anywhere. They wouldn't have the money for payments on an automobile. And just hope they don't have twins or something...

And where would they live free for a year?

They'd live off of (and with) his (or her) Mom and Dad, that's who.

Then, think about the story of Adam and Eve. THINK, friends. THINK! God created Adam, took a good look at him, and said, "Oh boy! You need help."

In Dust and Ashes
Aug 19th 2009, 01:38 PM
Is she really that sad after marrying him that he needs to spend a year cheering her up?

IamBill
Aug 19th 2009, 01:53 PM
God, mocking the serpent's lie.

Behold, the man is become as one of us(LIKE GODS), to know good and evil

-now, go forth and ...toil in the dirt you little gods you :lol:

Diggindeeper
Aug 19th 2009, 04:20 PM
Is she really that sad after marrying him that he needs to spend a year cheering her up?

My guess is that reality hits hard, when it comes to washing dirty socks and underwear. And way back then, she had no automatic washes or dryers or good smelling dryer sheets.

Just married......http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/hochzeit008.gif
Six months later.......http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/mix_197.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/dancinman2.gif

One year later.......http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/oldladywalk.gif http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/kaffeetrinker.gif

JohnDB
Aug 19th 2009, 07:13 PM
Godly humor is one of those missed things in the Bible.
Jesus told two jokes as recorded by scripture.

One was at the feeding of the five thousand

One was while they were entering into Jerusalem.

Jesus regularly poked fun at his disciples in a fashion that only God can.

Phillip was one of those guys who seemed to know everybody. He always knew who to go see and get whatever anybody wanted in any town they were travelling to. He never met a stranger and was forever talking to somebody. He was always quick with a joke or funny story. (you know the type I'm sure) He was a real character.

Then he becomes a telmedeme (disciple of a rabbi). Your job as a disciple is to do everything in all rapt attention that your rabbi does. It is very serious busiiness. If your rabbi comes to you and asks a favor of you...whoah nellie, it is a big big honor. You do anything you could to perform it for him.

Jesus, in today's vernacular, said to Phillip, "Hey Phillip, Bread run man! We got to feed these people."
Phillip would look at Jesus with a deer in the headlights look in his eyes and start a whining.

Jesus would wave him off as if to say, "what good are you then?...go get the people to sit in groups of fifty...see? this little boy has done what I asked"

And you then have the miracle of the feeding of five thousand...

The other is when the apostles were singing on their way into Jerusalem.

The Pharisees asked Jesus to ask his disciples to quit singing...(they really stunk at singing)
Jesus replied with what roughly equates to "sounds better than an earthquake doesn't it?"

The punchline was that there was an earthquake when the apostles stopped singing...

Scubadude
Aug 19th 2009, 09:45 PM

:dunno:

You don't get out much, do you? :D

In Dust and Ashes
Aug 19th 2009, 11:58 PM
What about the passage in Habakkuk or Nahum (I don't remember which) where God says he's going to sling dung at people.

I'm guessing that's a metaphor. I've never seen dung from heaven.

Then again, I've never seen bread from heaven either...

timmyb
Aug 20th 2009, 02:25 AM
To tell you the truth, I really don't find alot in the Bible that funny... Just not my sense of humor i guess

Scubadude
Aug 20th 2009, 08:19 PM
How about when Peter gets smart with Jesus at a formal meal when he says "Okay. Then don't just was my feet, wash my other other body parts, too!" I think Jesus' reply (in a formal gathering) is great, "IF you've taken a bath, you should be clean." The question in that statement was "Did you bother to shower before dinner?" Ha! You can never out whit Jesus.

dan
Aug 22nd 2009, 09:33 AM

Blessings.

..."A prophet is not without respect...except in his own country...and among his own family...and in his own house.

:lol::lol:

MK 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.