PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Television

The Laestadian
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:03 PM
I would like to hold a Debate. Here now and what you think.
The television in my opinion is the most evil creation of the world. Back in around the 1800s it was ok, but now there is to many things on the TV that will take your Christanity away. Once you press the 'power' button, you have entered the very lair of Satan. Satan has taken control of the TV.

Well, this is what I belive anyways. What do you think?
:sad:

nadroj15
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:10 PM
The television in my opinion is the most evil creation of the world. Back in around the 1800s it was ok, but now there is to many things on the TV that will take your Christanity away. Once you press the 'power' button, you have entered the very lair of Satan. Satan has taken control of the TV.

Well, this is what I belive anyways. What do you think?

First things first: I'm pretty sure that they didn't have a television in the 1800's. You meant 1900's, right? :P

I personally don't think anything on TV can "take your Christianity away." My Christianity is my faith in Jesus Christ my Savior, and that will not be taken away from watching a television program. I enjoy some television shows, but I do screen what I watch. I do not watch TV that is full of sexual immorality and cursing.

Ayala
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:13 PM
Ermm...I'm fairly certain that TV's weren't quite around in the 1800's.
Putting that aside, there's alotta things on TV that are shameful to say the least. I wouldn't consider TV itself to be evil but there is evil to be seen on many programs. There are good and wholesome things as well though. I really don't watch much TV anymore...just doesn't thrill me.

The Laestadian
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry, yah I meant 1900s it was a typo my bad :rofl:

Anyways, The TV can infact take away your Christanity. It starts slowly working it's way. The Devil can do many thigns. First you'll wanna watch TV or some movie instead of going to Church. And yes this has happened at my Church.

Next you'll basiclly "need" the TV. Well, I don't know how the Devil works but these are some of the things he can do. If you don't belive me i am fine with that. I was just stating something. And oyu are doing the right thing by discussion it.
I do not watch any TV, and I have never found interest in doing so. But what about the people who do watch all those vulgar shows? All those lies and sexual immorality? What happens to them?

nadroj15
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't say that the act of watching a television program takes away Christianity . . . although if you allow television to become an idol and you put it before your relationship with Christ, then you have a problem.

Ayala
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:22 PM
As I said, I generally don't watch TV, but speaking realistically...many things can become idols before God...not just TV. Therefore, I don't believe it's wrong to watch TV in and of itself. It becomes a problem if someone is consumed with it and/or they indulge in ungodly shows.

The Laestadian
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:25 PM
:agree:

Yes I too agree, and I guess that is what i'm trying to say, sorry i'm just outo f it today.

nadroj15
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:31 PM
There's no need to apologize, what you are saying is perfectly valid. All things in moderation is pretty much my attitude on this (as it is with movies, video games, internet, etc.)

Athanasius
Aug 23rd 2009, 07:46 PM
I think we blame too many things on Satan.

Buzzword
Aug 23rd 2009, 10:32 PM
I think we blame too many things on Satan.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

Seems like every generation at some point says the younger generations are going to hell in a handbasket, even though the only thing that ever changes is technology.

Satan doesn't need an iPod.
His tools are those found within the human condition, not on Cinemax.

nadroj15
Aug 23rd 2009, 11:08 PM
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

Seems like every generation at some point says the younger generations are going to hell in a handbasket, even though the only thing that ever changes is technology.

Satan doesn't need an iPod.
His tools are those found within the human condition, not on Cinemax.

Technology can be used for both sides of the war, not just by Satan.

The Laestadian
Aug 23rd 2009, 11:45 PM

I also agree, Man has destroyed themselves...With the help of Satan.

bluedragonflyx
Aug 24th 2009, 12:49 AM
I do think that a lot of what is offered on television is junk, and not worth the time spent to watch it, but I don't think television is "of Satan" or will somehow steal your faith in God. If you are really experiencing a walk with Christ, how can anything convince you it's not true?

I think the problem exists if you bombard yourself with a secular, anti-Christian message more than you steep yourself in the word. People who watch hours and hours of tv, especially the kind of shows that glorify casual sex and extreme violence, or ones that make fun of Christian values and beliefs while encouraging hedonistic attitudes, selfishness, greed, lust and so on, are choosing to devote more time to entertainment than to God, so it's little wonder that eventually they would become desensitized to what they see on the small screen and lose touch with their faith. Anything you don't tend will eventually die, and the same is true of your faith. However, I don't think it's wrong to watch television in moderation. Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a huge fan of the show "Lost". I really enjoy watching it and schedule time for it each week during the season. But otherwise, I rarely watch any tv and if I do watch some, it's usually something about animals on Animal Planet or Discovery. In an average week, I devote maybe two hours to television. But when I add up the time spent attending church, studying the Bible, talking with Christian friends and recording in my prayer journal, it works out to a LOT more. I think it's all about balance, really. Are you dedicating yourself to tv, or to God?

The Laestadian
Aug 24th 2009, 02:14 AM
Once again I agree.

You guys are opening new lights to me. And i thank you!

Denny606
Aug 24th 2009, 03:10 AM
This intrigued me because I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's there was local church that got all fired up over the tv being the" devil in the house" and they all got together and burned their tvs ,had a special service and everything,well to make it short and sweet ,church attendance didn't pick up,no great revival broke out and they all went out and bought new tv's,color this time it was quite funny in one way and sad in another but it sticks in my mind and every time I here of the tv being evil I can't help but think about it.

The Laestadian
Aug 24th 2009, 03:14 AM
Well that is just down right a disgrace! That is funny they don't really practice what they preach do they haha?

nadroj15
Aug 24th 2009, 10:20 PM
Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a huge fan of the show "Lost".

This deserves a hi-five!

*hi-fives bluedragonfly*

I love that show.

The Laestadian
Aug 25th 2009, 06:11 PM
Wow really? That is funny :rofl:

Friend of Jesus
Aug 27th 2009, 10:09 AM
To be honest if you want to write off tv completely you'd have to condemn films in the same breath.

The same goes for both: neither are evil in themselves, they are just a medium through which both good and evil things can be shown. While you can use a television to watch all kinds of evil obvious and not so obvious (American Pie I'm looking at you), you can also use a television to watch very godly films/shows which can actually draw you nearer to Christ rather than the opposite.

The same goes for books

Elijah's Mantle
Sep 1st 2009, 11:20 PM
:hmm: well I have my favorite shows that I liked a lot and I never studied much about if satan could attack my brain because I watch TV some times .I do watch TBN the show drive through History I like that guy :bounce: he goes every where he does funny things to :lol: and then I like Joel he is a good pastor on TV I believe .

what is your favorite show ? on TV ?

ok one show I can not be allowed is the one with soprano's about waking up in the morning to get a gun its about mafia people :note: I wanted to see it once and then I was going to watch all the episodes that a friend said I could borrow and when I wnt to watch it uuhm :o
well :eek: not allowed was the answer :blush: :note: to violent and the adult thing listed so

well my friend seen them all (episodes)

Is soprano's one of the most violent TV shows ? :hmm:

Jeffinator
Sep 1st 2009, 11:50 PM
:hmm: well I have my favorite shows that I liked a lot and I never studied much about if satan could attack my brain because I watch TV some times .I do watch TBN the show drive through History I like that guy :bounce: he goes every where he does funny things to :lol: and then I like Joel he is a good pastor on TV I believe .

what is your favorite show ? on TV ?

ok one show I can not be allowed is the one with soprano's about waking up in the morning to get a gun its about mafia people :note: I wanted to see it once and then I was going to watch all the episodes that a friend said I could borrow and when I wnt to watch it uuhm :o
well :eek: not allowed was the answer :blush: :note: to violent and the adult thing listed so

well my friend seen them all (episodes)

Is soprano's one of the most violent TV shows ? :hmm:

Maybe, but I think your worse off listening to Joel. He has a very sugar coated message which is inspiring to listen to, but..if you notice he does not talk about salvation, Jesus, how to live a christian life in general. What he does tell you is how to stay happy and calm in your problems...thats it. He likes to skip the things that might upset people like sexual sin, temptations, right and wrong...he just likes to make people feel happy when they come. Not much of a pastor in my opinion.

Elijah's Mantle
Sep 2nd 2009, 12:01 AM
:o

but he is a real pastor

I have seen some of the more aggressive type pastors on TV to and there pretty scary :eek:

would Jesus be hollering and screaming and slobering at the mouth trying to beat people to the alter with a stick if he was in a pulpit ? :hmm:

I guess that if the more radical aggressive is some how more believable but in my salvation the Holy Spirit does the teaching and I grasp what I can as I for my own self am able to as it is more revealed I understand what u mean about sugar coated :cry: but do u really think Joel skips the salvation ? wow I dont know what to think :confused

Elijah's Mantle
Sep 2nd 2009, 12:21 AM
:help:

which pastor do you listen too ?

I like the dare to be a Daniel club :) Franklin Graham does also Rock the River have u heard of Rock the River ?

ae123
Sep 2nd 2009, 03:12 AM
i would not go so far as to call anything that makes its way on to television "junk". it may not be christian in sentiment but people spend thier lives preparing so that they can offer a product that qualifies in the minds of those who broadcast tv programs. these shows definitely pass that test, anyways. its all pretty clever, well thought out and thouroughly done. i mean, could any of us assemble something in its entirety fit for national tv. its tough. also, i've found this: it is not very difficult to overt my eyes when something that comes on makes me feel uncomfortable. i do this. also, it is not difficult to change channels if something continues to bother me.
i mostly watch movies when i watch anything. it is a lazy activity. christians in general, that i know, don't have time for tv, mostly. they find more constructive things to do. i admire this very much and it convicts me as i feel i should be doing more with my time: writing, reading...anything more productive. thats about the extent of tv taking away my christianity. it does just a little but that little is something that should mean more to me when i think about what my life could be about. what it should be about. work. family. friends. we should all need more time to spend on those three things. oh yeah. theres prayer and scripture too. we should be so enthusiastically drawn to the afore that our tv sets just slip our minds, sit there, and collect dust. this is good stuff-i'm gonna write this down. anyways, i've heard the question "what would jesus do?". well, i don't think he would watch much tv. too busy.

ae123
Sep 2nd 2009, 03:27 AM
sorry dragonfly. that was actually a pretty good post. i didn't read the whole thing before i posted. truthfully, what do i know about the tv business, for real? i don't think they're dumb who make it's shows. but you may be right about the topics that are overused and undercreative which appeal less to our intellect and more to our senses. or: junk. generalities and summations, i think, in general, i'm not very good at. and in this case, i don't watch much tv ,so, i'll just take it from you and apologize for jumping the gun on that post.

Elijah's Mantle
Sep 2nd 2009, 11:20 PM
:) I like star trek
and I also like that show survivor man he gets into some stuff but it is educational , yesterday I watched the movie about the man in Alaska that lives and feeds grizzly bears it was awesome :pp

there is also PBS and have u ever watched the ones about Nazareth the Nazareth Jesus knew it is so educational it is really awesome :bounce: PBS HAS some good stuff

have any of u seen second hand Lions by any chance ?

Luke34
Sep 7th 2009, 06:00 PM
I simply don't understand what calling a medium "evil" is even supposed to mean. Are you suggesting that broadcasting visual and audio content to a series of recievers in people's homes, which they can own/not own and watch/not watch at their leisure, is inherently evil? Besides that, I simply don't get why television gets so much vitriol. The FCC is pretty darn strict, and you can't even say a bad word on American television before like midnight. And most TV shows are not offensive in the least--they can't be, if they want to reach a large audience. Yes, very many of them are "bad" in the sense of quality, but that applies to everything in the whole world, not just American television shows.

Also, I'm tired of the idea that watching films or television is an inherently "lazy" activity. Yes, physically you don't do anything but sit there and watch something. But that's exactly what you do when you read, and it's more than you do when you listen to music--are we prepared to call both of those activities "lazy" or imply that they're intellectually bankrupt? Yes, you can put on a movie or TV show and just turn your brain off and be lazy, but that's not what you're supposed to do (with the good ones, anyway). Smart, active, discerning viewers of movies and television are no more "lazy" than smart, active, discerning readers or listeners, and an engaged viewing of, say, Arrested Development is an unutterably more intellectually challenging and rewarding activity than reading the latest generic crime thriller or whatever.

otrclassic
Sep 7th 2009, 08:15 PM

Well, this is what I believe anyways. What do you think?

I saw a news report about the last farm in Maine they have no television, no computer, no ipod and it looked heaven to me. Sometimes I wish I wasn't disabled so I could enjoy those pleasures of no Technology (This coming from a computer programmer/ repairman).

TV can't take one's Salvation for nothing can take us out of the hand of Christ. Romans 8:35-39

TV can become an idol though as can anything and then we must evaluate it