PDA

View Full Version : Holiness

JohnDB
Aug 25th 2009, 01:43 PM
Since many discussions pertaining to Holiness and in particular the Holiness of God's has come up I thought it good to see if we can have a reasonable discussion about what you think holiness is.

What does holy mean?
God is stated to be Holy, Holy, Holy...what does that mean specifically and why is it said this way?
What is the difference between behaving in a legal fashion (of the earth and the land pertaining to God's laws) and being holy?
What is the difference between common and holy?
Can something that is common become holy?
If so...how does that happen?

Sola Scriptura isn't needed for this one...but scriptura primera is always a plus.

Tonton
Aug 25th 2009, 03:32 PM
...God is stated to be Holy, Holy, Holy...what does that mean specifically and why is it said this way?...

In biblical times, when something is stated to be in the ultimate form, it was stated three times.

Anton

ZAB
Aug 25th 2009, 04:35 PM
Since many discussions pertaining to Holiness and in particular the Holiness of God's has come up I thought it good to see if we can have a reasonable discussion about what you think holiness is.

What does holy mean?
God is stated to be Holy, Holy, Holy...what does that mean specifically and why is it said this way?

Some interpret this to be applicable to each Person of the Godhead (Isa 6:3)... "Holy" , "Holy" [is the Son], and "Holy" [is the Holy Spirit]. Note Matt 28:19 and 1 Jn 5:6-7.

Also, the number 3 in Scripture is often representative of divine completeness, or of a perfect testimony (see Deut 17:6; Matt 12:40; Exod 12:7; 3:6; etc).

What is the difference between behaving in a legal fashion (of the earth and the land pertaining to God's laws) and being holy?

Legalism is outward, holiness is inward.

1 Pet 3:3-4 "Whose adorning let it not be that outward [I]adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

2 Cor 7:1 "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

Matt 23:25 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess."

Sola Scriptura isn't needed for this one...but scriptura primera is always a plus.

"Common" simply means "profane, unholy". In 1st Samuel 21, David ate of the "hallowed" shewbread because there was no "common" bread with the priests.

Ezekiel equates the "clean and unclean" with the "holy and profane (lit. common)". See Ezek 44:23.

The law was made for the profane (1 Tim 1:9; Gal 3:19)

The fine linen of the bride is said to be "clean" (Rev 19:8).

How are we made clean from unclean, or holy from common:

Jn 15:3 "Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you."

Eph 5:25-27 "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

Z.

sedux
Aug 25th 2009, 04:47 PM
I'll take a crack at it. Holiness is setting yourself apart for God.

Edit: Oops! Pertaining to the holiness of God.... I apologize, I got a lil trigger happy there. :blushsad: I retract my post....

timmyb
Aug 25th 2009, 04:53 PM

What does holy mean?

General definition of Holy... Sacred... that's hebrew and greek

3 times... I like what ZAB said... it's the perfection of his nature and of the Godhead... Holy Spirit Holy God and Holy Son...

I'm going to steal a bit of my friend's wisdom... It's because I have been made holy by God I am going to refrain from the unholy. It's not working for holiness it's only responding to what God has made you.

Common and Holy... seeing as how people died for treating what is holy as common this is a very important question to ask. The common is the regular the everyday. The Holy is the set apart the sacred marked by God...

Only God can make holy... everything that is holy had to be made holy and as a result they were common in one point of they're existance so yeah... the common can be made holy.

That's a good question... the salvation of man would be a good way to explain it

theBelovedDisciple
Aug 25th 2009, 05:12 PM
I'll take a crack at it. Holiness is setting yourself apart for God.

I pretty much agree with what you said..

Holiness.. is being set apart... for God...

I believe it's God who sets us apart.. thru the Work of the Eternal Spirit..

if we 'place' all the power and ablity on 'us'.. then I believe we risk the danger of being drawn into a 'leglasitic' mode.. which is 'outward'.. like the Pharisees of Jesus Day.. they appeared outwardly to be 'righteous' and Holy.. but inwardly were full of corruption and excess... their 'temples' the home of the lizard and the spider, a brood of vipers.. .. unable to escape the damnation of hell....

The closer You get to HIM... the humbler you will become because of His Greatness and His Love, Mercy, Grace, His Soveriegnty... He will show that to you and Reveal that to you........and the closer you get to Him.. the more you realize just how short you fall on a daily basis according to His Glory.. which drives the believer to be 'Holy' as He is Holy.. and to rest in His Grace, Mercy, and Love.. based on What He has accomplished for you.... this done Inwardly as the Spirit Circumcises your heart on a Daily Basis.. being Transformed Inwardly and being Conformed to His Image.. according to the Working of His Power thru the Holy Ghost..

its the Work on the Inner Man.. that place where David tells us He Desires Truth and will reveal to us... God Looks on the Heart and from there He will Judge.. He does the Job on the Heart.. taking it from a hard state to a soft state, one that is able to 'recieve' that 'seed'.. planted deep into it.. the Word of God.. compassionate, merciful, full of Joy and Strong in the Lord....

Holiness starts Inwardly.. and reverberates Outwardly... in every aspect of our lives....

the Pharisees and religious leaders of Jesus's Day.. looked on the flesh.. they accused Jesus of many things because they 'judged' on the flesh.. because He ate and drank with sinners, associated with those who were unworthy, healed the unworthy, set free the unworthy, Saved the Unworthy... all these things He did.. Yet He was Holy.. yet those who were blind and lost, appearing outwardly to be righteous and Holy, didn't see it..

May Our Lives represent the Life of Christ as He walked talked and Worked as He saw His Father working on a day to day basis.. this Done thru the Eternal Spirit and the Power of It..

JohnDB
Aug 25th 2009, 06:04 PM
Nu 16:38 the censers of the men who sinned at the cost of their lives. Hammer the censers into sheets to overlay the altar, for they were presented before the LORD and have become holy. Let them be a sign to the Israelites.”

What about this verse here?