PDA

View Full Version : How do you apply Grace?

JohnDB
Aug 30th 2009, 06:54 PM
We all pretty much understand the principle of Grace.

We know beyond all shadow of a doubt that we have recieved some of that unmerited and unwarranted favor from God.

So...how do YOU specifically apply it towards others according to what you believe that the Bible explains for us to do?

JohnnieGuy
Aug 30th 2009, 07:35 PM
Abide in the doctrine of our Lord Jesus, and obey Him.

IE: Do good to those that hate you, and you will heap hot coals upon their head.

I used to think that meant vindictively but what that means is that by applying Christ's doctrine to your own life, they will see the fruit of Christ in you and they will introspect and may be led to repentance.

So we are called to be the body of Christ in this life. That means we act out being IN Christ, we are to be like little Christs. Just as Christ led others to repentance and faith through Himself, as we abide in Him our Christlikeness will lead others to repent and believe as well. So God's grace is shown to others through us as we abide in Jesus.

Just my 2 c.

th1bill
Aug 30th 2009, 08:14 PM
... Grace is administered best by forgiving before they even have the chance to ask for it. The best life example I know for this is Jesus, before I even had the chance to offend Him, He forgave me and died on the cross for me.

JohnDB
Aug 30th 2009, 08:20 PM
... Grace is administered best by forgiving before they even have the chance to ask for it. The best life example I know for this is Jesus, before I even had the chance to offend Him, He forgave me and died on the cross for me.

I really like this.

Often we cross paths with others in such a fashion as they don't neccesarily understand the full weight of their consequences when dealing with some of us. We have a huge upper hand as far as intellect or wisdom...but instead of bemoaning their errors (which can be agregious and foolish) we are kind to them and look out for their best interests anyway...regardless of how they are truly treating us in ignorance.

theBelovedDisciple
Aug 31st 2009, 02:08 AM

I like that.. my thoughts too...

Scubadude
Aug 31st 2009, 09:44 AM
How do you apply grace? Liberally.

And wear gloves. It's very sticky. :saint:

Firefighter
Aug 31st 2009, 03:07 PM
How do you apply grace? Liberally.

And wear gloves. It's very sticky. :saint:

That's Post of the Millennium material right there!!!:pp

Sold Out
Aug 31st 2009, 03:14 PM
We all pretty much understand the principle of Grace.

We know beyond all shadow of a doubt that we have recieved some of that unmerited and unwarranted favor from God.

So...how do YOU specifically apply it towards others according to what you believe that the Bible explains for us to do?

Grace is what people DON'T deserve...and yet Christ bestowed all grace to us. (grace upon grace - Jn 1:16)

I have a hard time with applying it to others...because I do not have the gift of mercy. Everything to me is black & white...you get what you get and it's usually your fault!

So for instance, I have this friend who was on fire for God for about 8 yrs, then she up and left her husband and is now partying like she did in high school. We keep limited contact (because of my convictions), but from time to time she comes to me needing advice or someone to talk to. Now my rational brain says, "No way! She doesn't deserve for me to talk to her, with the way she's living!"....but my spiritual side says, "Right now you may be her only friend that is a Christian." So I manage to dispense a little grace her way, by trying to be a friend to her when I don't want to. So that's my version of applying grace.

notuptome
Aug 31st 2009, 07:36 PM
The grace I got was applied by God. I was not the apply-er but the apply-ee. I received an inexhaustable supply of grace from God. All I am expected to do is yield myself to His grace and not to fight against it.

I am a servant of grace. Grace is not mine to command but to obey.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

timmyb
Aug 31st 2009, 08:32 PM
I define grace not as a cop out to excuse sin. But rather as the empowerment of God given to man to NOT sin... it's the only power man can have over his sin nature...

Scubadude
Sep 1st 2009, 12:57 AM
I define grace not as a cop out to excuse sin. .

Hmmm? :hmm:

I never really understand it when someone uses that term "excuse sin", as if they enjoy having their sin excused not because they need it to be, but because they've done everything to make themselves worthy to be forgiven. I don't know. Excuse sin. The statement sounds meaningless to me. When you are convinced that every breath is a gift and undeserving, where is the impetus to make excuses? I just realized that this will set me up for the old "cheep grace" argument. Some people like to keep paying penance for their grace. I go straight to the seller, and he's not keeping any receipts.

Grace is a cop out to excuse sin. When you are seeped in wickedness, lost even to yourself, unable to find the light, God reaches into you and says "I forgive you." Coping out means giving up. I'm talking about older christians. Rom 7:14-25

timmyb
Sep 1st 2009, 01:13 AM
Hmmm? :hmm:

I never really understand it when someone uses that term "excuse sin", as if they enjoy not having their sin excused because they need it to be, but because they've done everything to make themselves worthy to be forgiven. I don't know. Excuse sin. The statement sounds meaningless to me. When you are convinced that every breath is a gift and undeserving, there is not impetus to make excuses? I just realized that this will set me up for the old "cheep grace" argument. Some people like to keep paying penance for their grace. I go straight to the seller, and he's not keeping any receipts.

Grace is a cop out to excuse sin. When you are seeped in wickedness, lost even to yourself, unable to find the light, God reaches into you and says "I forgive you." Coping out means giving up. I'm talking about older christians. Rom 7:14-25

Let me clear up my previous statement...

I have friends of mine who excuse sin by saying they're not under the law but under grace. What you define as grace would be better defined as mercy. God's attitude toward sin has not changed and the wages of sin is still death. Forgiveness is not grace, it's mercy.

Grace is the empowerment to not sin. It's the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to keep from sinning to wage war against it. For example... if you drive the speed limit you are under grace to obey the law, when you don't you are under the law and subject to the consequences, now when the cop pulls you over and doesn't give you a ticket, only a warning to slow down, that's mercy.

A cop out for sin means I can do this and God will give me grace. You refuse God's grace by intentionally sinning. You make his grace out to be nothing. Hebrews 10 says that when you sin intentionally you insult the spirit of grace.

Now, when man realizes his depravity is the kindness of God that leads you to repentance. And when you repent he gives you grace to live a Godly life. It's not an excuse to sin, but it's the empowerment to a Godly life.

Scubadude
Sep 1st 2009, 01:25 AM
Let me clear up my previous statement...

I have friends of mine who excuse sin by saying they're not under the law but under grace. What you define as grace would be better defined as mercy. God's attitude toward sin has not changed and the wages of sin is still death. Forgiveness is not grace, it's mercy.

Grace is the empowerment to not sin. It's the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to keep from sinning to wage war against it. For example... if you drive the speed limit you are under grace to obey the law, when you don't you are under the law and subject to the consequences, now when the cop pulls you over and doesn't give you a ticket, only a warning to slow down, that's mercy.

A cop out for sin means I can do this and God will give me grace. You refuse God's grace by intentionally sinning. You make his grace out to be nothing. Hebrews 10 says that when you sin intentionally you insult the spirit of grace.

Now, when man realizes his depravity is the kindness of God that leads you to repentance. And when you repent he gives you grace to live a Godly life. It's not an excuse to sin, but it's the empowerment to a Godly life.

When you are in a situation that requires TONS of grace (like between spouses), I doubt anyone is going to care weather you call it grace or mercy. They just want it. It's always a good assumption. ;)

timmyb
Sep 1st 2009, 01:27 AM
When you are in a situation that requires TONS of grace (like between spouses), I doubt anyone is going to care weather you call it grace or mercy. They just want it. It's always a good assumption. ;)

That just depends on the situation... did you make your spouse mad... I would ask for mercy... Is your spouse mad at you for no reason... I would ask for grace...

TONS of grace is right... in the right situation... TONS of mercy is great too... :lol:

My heart's Desire
Sep 1st 2009, 06:52 AM
I think to be able to always put anothers (interests, welfare, etc) before one's own even if they don't seem to deserve it, is grace. 24/7. I'm afraid I don't do as well as I'd like. It takes alot of dying to self. I don't think it means to indulge their interests, etc if they are sinful or hurtful things, but it means to love them as Christ loved us. Kindness goes a long way.

JohnDB
Sep 1st 2009, 09:46 AM
I think to be able to always put anothers (interests, welfare, etc) before one's own even if they don't seem to deserve it, is grace. 24/7. I'm afraid I don't do as well as I'd like. It takes alot of dying to self. I don't think it means to indulge their interests, etc if they are sinful or hurtful things, but it means to love them as Christ loved us. Kindness goes a long way.

Yes it does. It gets tough to be kind to the checkout person when they unknowingly overstuff those plastic bags and you are going to probably lose some of your groceries on the way home...
They are driving a big SUV way under the speed limit in front of you when you are in a hurry.
They catn spel fur beenes. Or their grammar really needs attention.