PDA

View Full Version : Are you the Prophet?

Partaker of Christ
Sep 7th 2009, 12:32 AM
Were the Jews, expecting the Messiah, and the Prophet?

Is this 'the Prophet', Jesus Christ, or another?

John 1:20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Messiah."
John 1:21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."

John 1:25 And they asked him, saying, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

If so why ask if he (John the Baptist) is the Prophet, after asking if he is the Christ?

John 7:40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.
John 7:41 Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?

Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
Deu 18:16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
Deu 18:17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
Deu 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
Deu 18:19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Does this prophecy follow after the times of restitution of all things?

Act 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
Act 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

JohnDB
Sep 7th 2009, 12:38 AM
"The Prophet" was the knickname of Isaiah.

They were expecting Elijah to return as the forerunner for the Messiah.

THat is why during passover (and still to this day) Judaistic passovers include setting a place for Elijah at the table. (most often these days he just gets a cup...)

Passover takes a whole week of preparations...the preparations have superceded the meal...the meal is the culmination of the preparations. One of those things you just have to be a part of once to understand it completely.

But if you ever get a chance to attend a Sader...do it!!!

Partaker of Christ
Sep 7th 2009, 12:46 AM
"The Prophet" was the knickname of Isaiah.

They were expecting Elijah to return as the forerunner for the Messiah.

THat is why during passover (and still to this day) Judaistic passovers include setting a place for Elijah at the table. (most often these days he just gets a cup...)

Passover takes a whole week of preparations...the preparations have superceded the meal...the meal is the culmination of the preparations. One of those things you just have to be a part of once to understand it completely.

But if you ever get a chance to attend a Sader...do it!!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!

So, were they expecting Messiah, Elijah and the Prophet (Isaiah)

John 1:25 And they asked him, saying, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"

JohnDB
Sep 7th 2009, 01:20 AM
Jn 1:21 They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" He answered, "No."
Jn 1:22 Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?"
Jn 1:23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’
Jn 1:24 Now some Pharisees who had been sent
Jn 1:25 questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?"
Jn 1:26 "I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know.
Jn 1:27 He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."

Here is the NIV version of the same passage...I ain't sure why they thought that John was Isaiah...there are a lot of reasons possible...

Here is one explanation...this verse here.

Isa 40:3 A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD ; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.

They were probably confused and exasperated as to the asking flat out, "Who are you?"
They knew that John was special in some fashion. They just weren't sure how or who...or if he was prophesied about or not. I found a lot of conflicting information about "The Prophet" as well. Some think that this was a reference to the passage in Deut 18:15...but I doubt it...I think personally that this passage above amongst others was the reason. So much of Isaiah was confusing to the Jews...they didn't understand it because it was from the Seraphim (wisdom of God) and it was unfathonomable. So they thought that God was going to send a prophet back to explain it to them...much of it was messianic in nature...that much they knew. And in a fashion they were correct. Jesus fulfilled all three roles of Priest, Prophet, and King.

Even to this day a discussion of Isaiah to a person who practices Judaism is an open invitation to a vehement debate. (many won't discuss it for that very reason...there is so much other stuff to debate)

Sep 7th 2009, 01:42 AM
I think "the prophet" probably refers to Deut 18:15 - Moses was foreseeing the Messiah, and refers to Him as a great prophet.

Deut 18:15
"The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.

Acts 3:22
"Moses said, 'THE LORD GOD WILL RAISE UP FOR YOU A PROPHET LIKE ME FROM YOUR BRETHREN; TO HIM YOU SHALL GIVE HEED to everything He says to you.

Elijah's Mantle
Sep 7th 2009, 01:48 AM
How does it fit with Revelations 20 ?

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

markedward
Sep 7th 2009, 03:27 AM
"The prophet" may have been equated with Jeremiah.

Matthew 16:13-14: When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

TEITZY
Sep 7th 2009, 04:46 AM
It's pretty clear from Acts 3 that Jesus is indeed "the prophet" that Moses spoke of as Peter explains:

For Moses truly said to the fathers, ‘The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren...God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.”

Furthermore verse 24 says, "all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days." So this would exclude all the OT prophets from being "the prophet" since they ALL prophesied about His coming.

I think most of the Jews equated "the prophet" with the Messiah, but of course most misunderstood the fullness of His ministry. The statement in John 1:25 doesn't necessarily have to mean that "the Christ" and "the Prophet" were different individuals, rather these titles simply highlight different aspects of His ministry. Christ first came primarily as a prophet/servant calling sinners/Israel to repentance. Currently He fulfils the role of our great High Priest, making constant intercession for the saints (Heb 7:25). At His second coming He will fulfill the kingly role most closely associated with that of the Christ/Messiah.

Cheers
Leigh

Butch5
Sep 7th 2009, 11:59 AM
Were the Jews, expecting the Messiah, and the Prophet?

Is this 'the Prophet', Jesus Christ, or another?

John 1:20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Messiah."
John 1:21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."

If so why ask if he (John the Baptist) is the Prophet, after asking if he is the Christ?

John 7:40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.
John 7:41 Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?

Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
Deu 18:16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
Deu 18:17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
Deu 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
Deu 18:19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Does this prophecy follow after the times of restitution of all things?

Act 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
Act 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

"That Prophet" is Jesus Christ.