PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Can we Bless GOD???

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 02:14 PM
I have heard saying's such as "Blessed be the name of the Lord" in a song and have heard folks say "we bless your Holy name".

Can we bless GOD? do we have that capacity?

If you you guys and gals can shed some light on that, because to be perfectly honest it sounds awesome. Please share scripture if you know of any and your opinion , and if so, Let's bless GOD together! :idea:

RabbiKnife
Sep 10th 2009, 02:15 PM
See Psalms 1 - 150.

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 02:20 PM
See Psalms 1 - 150.

Good morning Rabbiknife, Praise and Bless are two different aspects. Unless I'm looking at the wrong verse.

ZAB
Sep 10th 2009, 02:28 PM
I have heard saying's such as "Blessed be the name of the Lord" in a song and have heard folks say "we bless your Holy name".

Can we bless GOD? do we have that capacity?

If you you guys and gals can shed some light on that, because to be perfectly honest it sounds awesome. Please share scripture if you know of any and your opinion , and if so, Let's bless GOD together! :idea:

We are His portion and inheritance (Eph 1:17-19), so, in that sense, yes we can bless the Lord. Also note:

Ps 116:12-15 "What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints."

He is seeking a Bride without spot or blemish! Yield to His grace to bring you forth. This is the greatest act of service and devotion we as believers could ever achieve.

Z.

RabbiKnife
Sep 10th 2009, 02:30 PM
Good morning Rabbiknife, Praise and Bless are two different aspects. Unless I'm looking at the wrong verse.

See Psalm 103

Lots of Psalms talk of blessing God.

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 02:30 PM
We are His portion and inheritance (Eph 1:17-19), so, in that sense, yes we can bless the Lord. Also note:

Ps 116:12-15 "What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints."

He is seeking a Bride without spot or blemish! Yield to His grace to bring you forth. This is the greatest act of service and devotion we as believers could ever achieve.

Z.

Moving, Thank you for that scripture. :)

Ta-An
Sep 10th 2009, 02:34 PM
By giving glory and honour to G_d, you bless Him, be that in singing praises or worship....

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 02:49 PM
See Psalm 103

Lots of Psalms talk of blessing God.

Psalms 103:1-2,20-21-22

Thanks you.

markedward
Sep 10th 2009, 03:20 PM
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.) And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!"

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 03:22 PM
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. (He was priest of God Most High.) And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!"

That is an awesome example, thank you. What scripture is that by the way.

markedward
Sep 10th 2009, 03:34 PM
That is Genesis 14.18-20.

The Mighty Sword
Sep 10th 2009, 03:46 PM
That is Genesis 14.18-20.

Thanks Mark. :)....

EhudsSecretMessage
Nov 3rd 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm curious, what does it mean to be blessed as it's used in Hebrews 7:6?

Ta-An
Nov 3rd 2009, 06:00 AM
Welcome to the board!!
I'm curious, what does it mean to be blessed as it's used in Hebrews 7:6?Heb 7:6 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=58&CHAP=7&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=6) But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

This blessing has to do with the receiving of tithes......
and also indicating that he, Abraham, recognized that Melchizedek served the same G_d as him.

EhudsSecretMessage
Nov 3rd 2009, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the board!!
Thank you!

What I am actually asking for is the definition of this type of blessing. It seems to me that type of blessing could be different than the "bless" mentioned in Psalms, which means "gratefully praise". I believe the blessing mentioned in Heb 7:6 is of the same nature as the blessing Isaac gave Jacob in Gen 27:23 - "He could not identify him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau's hands; so he blessed him."

Ta-An
Nov 3rd 2009, 08:52 AM
EhudsSecretMessage, there is most definitely more than one meaning to the word :) or concept of to bless

EhudsSecretMessage
Nov 3rd 2009, 09:14 AM
EhudsSecretMessage, there is most definitely more than one meaning to the word :) or concept of to bless
How can I find the full meaning of these words? Do I need to study the original language?

It seems to me we can bless God in the sense that we can praise him, but cannot bless him with this other type of blessing. Heb 7:7 (AMP) "Yet it is beyond all contradiction that it is the lesser person who is blessed by the greater one."

Ta-An
Nov 3rd 2009, 09:22 AM
How can I find the full meaning of these words? Do I need to study the original language?

It seems to me we can bless God in the sense that we can praise him, but cannot bless him with this other type of blessing. Heb 7:7 (AMP) "Yet it is beyond all contradiction that it is the lesser person who is blessed by the greater one."yes it is so.... it is in the act of giving, blessing... that we are blessed :) the greater blessing comes in being obedient :)
Gen 12:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=1&CHAP=12&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) And I will bless them that bless thee,
I'll be back later, have duty calling.....

Ta-An
Nov 3rd 2009, 09:26 AM

It seems to me we can bless God in the sense that we can praise him, but cannot bless him with this other type of blessing. Heb 7:7 (AMP) "Yet it is beyond all contradiction that it is the lesser person who is blessed by the greater one."I hope this helps :)

Bible Dictionary
Bless

(1.) God blesses his people when he bestows on them some gift temporal or spiritual (Gen. 1:22; 24:35; Job 42:12; Ps. 45:2; 104:24, 35). (2.) We bless God when we thank him for his mercies (Ps. 103:1, 2; 145:1, 2). (3.) A man blesses himself when he invokes God's blessing (Isa. 65:16), or rejoices in God's goodness to him (Deut. 29:19; Ps. 49:18). (4.) One blesses another when he expresses good wishes or offers prayer to God for his welfare (Gen. 24:60; 31:55; 1 Sam. 2:20). Sometimes blessings were uttered under divine inspiration, as in the case of Noah, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses (Gen. 9:26, 27; 27:28, 29, 40; 48:15-20; 49:1-28; Deut. 33). The priests were divinely authorized to bless the people (Deut. 10:8; Num. 6:22-27). We have many examples of apostolic benediction (2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 6:23, 24; 2 Thess. 3:16, 18; Heb. 13:20, 21; 1 Pet. 5:10, 11). (5.) Among the Jews in their thank-offerings the master of the feast took a cup of wine in his hand, and after having blessed God for it and for other mercies then enjoyed, handed it to his guests, who all partook of it. Ps. 116:13 refers to this custom. It is also alluded to in 1 Cor. 10:16, where the apostle speaks of the "cup of blessing."

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=bless&ia=easton)

EhudsSecretMessage
Nov 3rd 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Ta-An, that is helpful!