PDA

View Full Version : Jeremiah 10

fontz
Sep 11th 2009, 02:02 PM
This is dealing with idolatry. My question is this speaking of Christmas trees or going to the forest to cut down trees and carve them into idols to decorate. Or both?

Although one could take the 1st few verses and apply them to a Christmas tree, reading further down makes me wonder if these are idols carved from trees and decorated.

Of course I realize some people make the tree an idol which it should never be.

Thoughts??

Blessings!
Opal

Diolectic
Sep 11th 2009, 02:42 PM
This is dealing with idolatry. My question is this speaking of Christmas trees or going to the forest to cut down trees and carve them into idols to decorate. Or both?It's about carving them into idols & decorating them. Christmas trees are just a dumb idea, not a dumb Idol :).

Although one could take the 1st few verses and apply them to a Christmas tree, reading further down makes me wonder if these are idols carved from trees and decorated.One must keep them in context. It is about carved FROM trees and decorated.

Of course I realize some people make the tree an idol which it should never be.They mack the whole season an Idol.
Personaly, I despise ChristMAS.
I loath winter and Holloween when it all starts. It is a depressing time of year.

So let's just enjoy "the most wonderful time of the year", SUMMER!!!!

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 11th 2009, 04:57 PM
This is dealing with idolatry. My question is this speaking of Christmas trees or going to the forest to cut down trees and carve them into idols to decorate. Or both?

Although one could take the 1st few verses and apply them to a Christmas tree, reading further down makes me wonder if these are idols carved from trees and decorated.

Of course I realize some people make the tree an idol which it should never be.

Thoughts??

Blessings!
Opal

Jesus the Christ brought to 'Light' the reality of idolatry and what it is.. it is the worhsip of Devils... and Paul told the church at Corinth and taught them that the reality of idolatry is devil worhsip.. what Gentiles offer up .. they offer to 'devils'... an inanimate object such as a tree, a stone, a car, a house.. is just that.. inanimate...

idolatry .. is devil worship... and where do devils abide?

they have the ability to move around in the supernatural.. they are led by the prince of the power of the air. their father.. satan.. they are a level about flesh and blood and operate in the supernatural and manifest in the 'natural'.. how do they do that you might ask..

by possessing people and animals...

when you see people 'worshipping' other people like Hollywood and TV and Radio.. even people in the so called 'christian establishment'.... they follow and worhsip these as if they were God Himself...

when the 'veil' is pulled away.. you will 'see' and 'hear'.. and understand that they are not following and worshipping the 'person'.. but devils...

the 'veil' must be pulled back and cut away.. so that you can 'see'..

Its God who does this.. thru the Work of the Holy Ghost...

the 'light' of the Body is the 'eye'..

What Jesus says and teaches is True...

iniquity and deception.. does have a 'face'.. and those he possesses and control will take on the same characteristics of the 'strongman' or 'ruler' of the house (body)

Idolatry has to do with devil worship...

devils do not possess inanimate objects such as trees, cars, money, etc..

'worshipping' the person behind the money, or cars etc.. coveteousness.. or any teaching epespecially deemed Biblical as far teaching about 'gain' being 'godliness' is more than likely 'idolatry'.. worshipping the person behind the teaching.. but in reality they are worshipping the devil and the doctrines behind it..

Paul instructs Christians from such.. 'turn away'....

God is Able to supply all your Need.. this thru His Grace and the Riches of His Unsearchable Mercies.. which are 'new' every morning...

amen and amen..

JohnDB
Sep 12th 2009, 02:59 PM
And people wonder why the world looks at Christians as if we all have three heads.

Christmas trees are simply a decoration....they have many Christian symbology tied up into them. That Jeremiah passage has to be twisted and contorted in order for it to be anything about Christmas.

The Gold is a type of the gifts given to Jesus.

Silver is a type of the redeemed people.

The gifts hidden under the tree is a type of the Pearl of great value hidden in the ground again.

Giving of gifts is symbolic of the life that Jesus gave up to and for us...so we celebrate by giving gifts..not exchanging them.

The tree itself is for the Kingdom of Christ...with the Angel or Star put on top symbolizing the telling of everyone who and what Christmas is all about.

In the same fashion as Christ has conquored Easter...Christ has also conquored Christmas.

markedward
Sep 12th 2009, 03:43 PM
Jeremiah was prophesying against his present generation. Christmas trees didn't even exist at that time. One must ignore the time, the place, and the history behind the passage, as well as the context of the chapter itself, in order to force the passage to fit upon the Christmas tree.

Steven3
Sep 13th 2009, 07:16 AM
This is dealing with idolatry. My question is this speaking of Christmas trees or going to the forest to cut down trees and carve them into idols to decorate. Idols.

Having said that I'm not sure Prince Albert did the Victorians an enormous favour by introducing this custom from Germany. Complete with Coca-cola's Santa Claus it seems to have supplanted anything particularly Christian about Christmas. The old Spanish custom of a wooden manger and shepherds scene (complete with non-housetrained puppy in the Catalan version) would be a better thing to put gifts under, at least for those of us who aren't too picky about the graven image aspect ;).