PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Why is sentence capitalized?

holybibletrivia
Sep 11th 2009, 08:16 PM
Why in Matthew 12:7 NASB is the whole sentence capitalized?

"But if you had known what this means, '(A)I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT A SACRIFICE,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

Any insight on why the word COMPASSION was used instead of mercy?

God Bless!

Vhayes
Sep 11th 2009, 08:23 PM
Hi there -

The words that are capitalized are a direct quote from the Old Testament. That's the reason it's capitalized, to alert the reader that the passage is a quote.

If you look in the margins of your bible, the (A) should have a cross reference next to it, in this case, Hosea 6:6, which is where this particular quote is found.

As far as the wording, the scholars determined the English word used to be the closest to the original word.

By the way, using your cross references are a great way to study. They open up passages in ways that give great insights.

I hope this helps a bit!
V

JohnDB
Sep 12th 2009, 12:04 AM
Sometimes these quotes aren't exact...because often Hebrew words have more than one meaning.

the word "can" in english has many definitions...so does the word "bow".

Sometimes these double entendre words in the Hebrew Old Testament were intentionaly placed to have two meanings.

Trusting some of these secondary meanings of words like the apostles did is somewhat risky as the practice can be abused and warped to fit an adjenda of their own instead of one of Christ. So...be very careful.

tt1106
Sep 12th 2009, 12:21 AM
Hi there -

The words that are capitalized are a direct quote from the Old Testament. That's the reason it's capitalized, to alert the reader that the passage is a quote.

If you look in the margins of your bible, the (A) should have a cross reference next to it, in this case, Hosea 6:6, which is where this particular quote is found.

As far as the wording, the scholars determined the English word used to be the closest to the original word.

By the way, using your cross references are a great way to study. They open up passages in ways that give great insights.

I hope this helps a bit!
V
:agree: What she said.

crossnote
Sep 12th 2009, 04:12 AM
Just a note: The existing Greek manuscripts will either have the copies in all caps or all small case. The rules of grammar in antiquity were much different than today.