PDA

View Full Version : My Daily bible Study - Matthew 2

Frances
Sep 14th 2009, 05:21 PM
Matthew (This book seems to have been written for new believers)

Matthew 1

What does the Text say? - Jesus Christ's genealogy in the royal line of David, showing Jesus Christ is descended from Abraham, through king David's royal line to Joseph, Jesus' legal father; His conception and Joseph's reaction to Mary's pregnancy.

Application? - I may not be proud of everyone in my family tree but none of them can prevent me from being accepted by God, and serving Him.

Quote ;- (David Pawson) ''Matthew is keen for readers to understand that the prophets spoke of the birth to a virgin, the slaughter of the innocents, the flight into Egypt, and the return to Galilee. The phrase 'that it might be fulfilled, which was spoken by the prophets' occurs 13 times . . . where Matthew quotes Micah, Hosea, Jeremiah, and Isaiah.''

Frances
Sep 15th 2009, 04:40 PM
Matthew 2

What does the Text say? - Wise men (educated men) number and nationality unknown, were led to Jesus by a star, taking gifts symbolizing wealth, worship and death, they came from the east to find the Baby born to be King of the Jews. They asked king Herod where He was, who then asked those knowledgeable regarding Scripture, and discovered (Micah 5:1) the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem; he told the wise men to return to tell him where exactly Jesus was so he could go to worship Him too. The star continued to lead the wise men to Jesus and they gave Him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. God warned them not to trust Herod, so they went home another way. Joseph was told, in a dream, to take his family to safety in Egypt as Herod intended to kill Jesus; so they went at night and stayed in Egypt - meanwhile Herod killed all male children 2years old and under in and around Bethlehem (Jeremiah 31:15). When Herod was dead God told Joseph to go back to Israel (Numbers 24:8). Hearing Herod's son Archelaus reigned in Judah he went to Nazareth (Judge 13:5).

Application? - Do I take note of, and investigate, unusual "natural" occurrences? Do I seek enlightenment from the Lord? Do I recognise the deviousness of those who want to 'use' me? Do I recognize personal messages from God as opposed to 'thoughts' that come from my own desires or from Satan? Am I determined to fulfill God's Purpose for my life? Am I willing to do whatever, and go wherever, God tells me, as soon as possible? Do I take necessary precautions for the safety of others.

Frances
Sep 16th 2009, 02:31 PM
Matthew 3

What does the Text say? - Living in poverty, and speaking of repentance, John the Baptist prepared the people to be receptive to Jesus Christ, fulfilling Isaiah 40:3. Many folk went to John, confessed their disobedience to God and were baptised (immersed in water). John said that repentance, to be meaningful, involves a determination to live to please God in future - a change in lifestyle. Being descended from Abraham (or in my case confessing Jesus Christ my Lord) does not mean God turns a blind eye to Sin. John's Ministry would be followed by One who would Baptise with the Holy Spirit and fire. Jesus demonstrated His humanity by going to be baptised too, to 'fulfill all righteousness'; as He came out of the water the Spirit of God descended on Him 'like a dove' (like a flash of sunlight?) and God acknowledged Jesus to be His Son - authenticating His Ministry.

Application? - I must eradicate everything from my life that displeases God. I must not make excuses for, or try to justify, my Sin. Have I been baptised in / immersed in water? Am I determined that, to the best of my ability, everything I do and say will be pleasing to God? or do I rely on a ceremony or former heartfelt repentance to protect me from God's Wrath now, and in Eternity? Have I been Baptised in the Holy Spirit - ie. experienced my personal Pentecost? Has God accepted me as His child??(Romans 8:14). Is He pleased with me?

Frances
Sep 17th 2009, 04:16 PM
Matthew 4

What does the Text say? - Jesus went without earthly food to be nourished with Spiritual food by His heavenly Father. He was tempted to received adulation from crowds of people by spectacularly demonstrating His Power to turn stones into bread, throw Himself off the highest place of the Temple, and worship / obey the devil. Each time Jesus answered from God's Word, as He was intent on Glorifying God and completing the task He came to earth to do. The Word of God has great Power. When John the Baptist had completed the task for which he had been born and was in prison, Jesus was able to start His Work on earth. Jesus knew He would need special friends who would learn from Him and could be relied on to proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom of God after His own task on earth was completed. He Called 4 disciples, Peter, Andrew, James and John. Jesus became very famous and drew great crowds of people from near and far, including from the decapolis (which it is suggested were 10 gentile towns).

What does it mean to me? - Am I willing to go without the good things of life and be Guided by God? When I am tempted to show off the Holy Spirit will give me the Power to be humble and be obedient to God instead. God's angels, though unseen, will help me. The Word of God has the Power to counter the devil's attacks. Do I follow Jesus? Why? Out of curiosity? Excited by the spectacular? To learn of God from Him? Or to be His disciple, to always be with Him and obey Him? Am I willing to give up everything I have to do His Will? Am I Jesus' disciple or just His follower?

Frances
Sep 18th 2009, 05:23 PM
Matthew 5:1-20

What does the Text say? - Jesus went up a mountain to teach His disciples. He said knowing one’s need to be right with God is a Blessing that can lead to understanding; mourning over one’s spiritual condition is a Blessing as it encourages the mourner to embrace God's way; those who obey God (as a well trained horse obeys it's rider) will inherit the land He gave their ancestors (physical and spiritual); those to whom being in a right relationship with God is of prime importance will constantly learn more of His Will for them, those who are merciful to others will obtain mercy themselves from God, those whose hearts are pure will see God and recognise His Work, those who encourage others to make their Peace with God and obtain His Forgiveness will become His sons; those who are persecuted because God considers them righteous are citizens of heaven; those who are mocked and persecuted and lied about because they are true to God will be Blessed by Him, so they should rejoice and be very glad because God will reward them as He Rewarded the prophets of old. Jesus' disciples are the salt of the earth - to be a preservative and enable the flavour of Christ to spread everywhere they go; His true disciples will embody His Light and Life, so Glorifying God. Jesus had no intention of denigrating the Law of Moses, or what the prophets had said, instead He would fulfill all the prophets had said about the Messiah and elucidate the full meaning of that Law.

Application? - Do I go to Jesus, or other people, to be taught about God and His Ways? Do I know the importance of being right with God? Does God's opinion of me really concern me? Do I always obey God in every way whatever He tells me to do? Is my desire to please God more insistent than my desire for food or drink? Am I always merciful to others? Is my heart pure? or are there any areas that I (erroneously) hope God disregards? Do I encourage others to repent trusting Jesus' Sacrifice and Resurrection, and to live to please Him? Am I persecuted because I choose to believe God's Word is true from beginning to end? Does my presence on earth make any difference to the Kingdom of God? Does my life Glorify God? I must not disregard any part of God's Law - however, the true meaning of all of it needs more consideration than the actual words written by Moses.

Frances
Sep 19th 2009, 04:59 PM
Mathew 5:21-48

What does the Text say? - Jesus said anger towards a brother, even calling anyone a fool, deserves the same punishment as murder and if anyone remembers a brother holds anything against them they should resolve the issue before making an offering to God; every effort to resolve differences out of court is wise; looking at a woman lustfully is as bad as committing adultery; any part of your body that encourages you to sin should be discarded eg an eye or a hand; divorcing your wife for anything other than adultery causes not only her, but anyone she may marry, to commit adultery; you must always be true to your word and not swear for it is from the Evil one; do not do the evil to others that they have done to you; love your enemies, do only good to those who curse you, hate you, are spiteful to you, and persecute you (eg. Luke 10:30-37), so that you may become God's sons, for He requires perfection from His people and rewards those who forgive others.

Application - Am I ever angry with anyone? Have I ever called anyone a fool? If I don't make every effort to discover what others have against me, repent of any un-Godly actions, and make restitution, God will not accept what I give to Him. If I ever look at a member of the opposite sex lustfully I have as good as committed adultery with them. I must be determined not to 'play with fire' in any shape or form, realising the dangers of allowing what could lead to Sin to gain a foothold in my life. God intends sexual intercourse to be confined to the marriage of one man and one woman. Expletives are not pleasing to God and I must be true to my word at all times. I must not 'pay back' others for wrongs they have done to me, but surprise them by my generosity. I must only do good to everyone, even those intent on my destruction. Does God consider me perfect? (I doubt it!!)

Quote (David Pawson) "Here are just a few examples" (of the beatitudes) "If you have called somebody and idiot you are a murderer. The Law of Moses said 'Do not get into bed with a woman you are not married to' but Jesus says 'Do not even look at a girl and wish you could'. . . . We are told not to worry, for if we worry we libel the King of Heaven . . . . This is the lifestyle of the Kingdom and these chapters provide excellent material for someone recently converted. The vital point to grasp is that they are not saved by but for such a lifestyle."

Frances
Sep 21st 2009, 04:34 PM
Matthew 6

What does the Text say? - Jesus Said you will be Judged in the same way and to the same extent that you judge others. Get the plank out of your own eye before trying to remove a speck of dust from someone else's eye. Do not cast pearls before swine. Ask and you'll receive, seek and you'll find, knock and the door will be opened. Do for others as you'd like them to do for you. The gate to Life is narrow and the gate to destruction is wide. Beware of false prophets who come in sheep’s clothing, but are in fact ravening wolves. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Only those who do God's Will will enter the Kingdom of Heaven A wise person builds their house on rock, not sand. Jesus taught with Authority.

Application? - I must not condemn others or I'll be condemned in the same way. My view of others may well be distorted by my lack of understanding. I must use common sense and tact when speaking of Christianity to unbelievers or I may do more harm than good. When I am seeking to do God's Will He will open doors of service and encourage me to ask for what He wants to give, and I must ensure what I do for others is what they want me to do, not what I want to do for them.

Frances
Sep 22nd 2009, 04:25 PM
Matthew 7

What does the Text say? - You will be Judged by God in the same way, and to the same extent, that you judge others. Get the plank out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck of dust from someone else's. Do not cast pearls before swine. Ask and you'll receive, seek and you'll find, knock and the door will be opened to you. Do to others as you'd like them to do to/for you. The gate to Life is narrow and the gate to destruction wide. Beware of false prophets who come in sheep’s clothing but are, in fact, ravening wolves. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Only those who do God's Will shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven. A wise person builds their house on rock not sand. Jesus taught with Authority.

What does it mean to me? - I must not condemn others or God will condemn me in the same way. My view of others may well be distorted by my lack of understanding. I must use common-sense and tact when speaking of Christianity to unbelievers (but not water it down), or I will cause more harm than good. When I ask God for something, while seeking to do His Will, He will be encouraged to open relevant doors for me to serve Him, and encourage me to ask for what He wants to give. I must do as I would be done by - as what I prefer may not be to other’s choice I must try to please them, not myself. I will only share God's Heavenly home if I go to Him through faith in Jesus' death and resurrection on my behalf. I must be aware that some delightful people will 'rearrange' Scripture to make it appear more acceptable and lead folk away from Jesus Christ. Do I? Do I bear good Fruit for God? Do I always ensure I am doing God's Will? Am I building my life on God's Word or worldly wisdom? Do I recognise the Authority Jesus Christ has?

Quote:- (Dr Henry H. Halley) Jesus warned, and prophesied of false teachers, so did (other) New Testament writers, again and again. The most devastating obstacle to the progress of Christianity . . . has been it's ruthless corruption at the hands of it's own promoters - besmirched almost beyond recognition.

Frances
Sep 23rd 2009, 05:05 PM
Matthew 8

What does the Text say? - A leper trusted Jesus to cleanse him, and He did. A centurion trusted Jesus to Heal his servant, so He did. Jesus also Healed Peter's mother-in-law, then in the evening He cast out demons and Healed the sick. Jesus fulfilled prophecies about the Messiah. He indicated that those who followed Him must be prepared to have no home and that He must come first with them. He left crowds to Minister to just two needy men. Jesus disciples were afraid of a great tempest when Jesus was asleep with them in a boat - when Jesus rebuked the wind and waves all became calm. When they arrived in Gadara two demon-possessed men met Jesus, He sent the demons into a herd of pigs and they were drowned; the people of the city begged Jesus to go away.

What does it mean to me? - Before trusting Jesus to cleanse me I had the 'leprosy' of Sin. Jesus Word is sufficiently Powerful to release and Heal, He doesn't need to touch, so neither do I when ministering in His Name. He acts on believing prayer. Do I pray for others, believing He will Heal them too? Peters' mother-in-law served Jesus after He Healed her; am I intent on serving Him? He Healed all who were sick (not just some). Am I willing to leave the limelight to minister to one or two needy folk? Do I get anxious in difficult situation even though I know Jesus is with me and I am obeying Him, or relax knowing He is in control? I must remember that doing God's Will does not necessarily mean public acclaim, I may be told to leave. I must also remember the demon-possessed men went to Jesus not to His disciples; so prior to casting out demons I must ensure the person concerned has accepted Jesus as their Saviour and Lord and is trusting Him – not me.

Frances
Sep 24th 2009, 04:37 PM
Matthew 9

What does the Text say? - Jesus went away when unwelcome. Jesus demonstrated His Power on earth by Forgiving a paralytic’s Sins enabling him to walk. Matthew followed Jesus when He called Him, then Jesus sat at a table with other tax collectors and 'outcasts' from society, which the Pharisees thought demeaned Him. Jesus wants mercy not sacrifice. He has come to Call sinners to repentance. Jesus said His disciples would mourn and fast when He was no longer with them, also that no one repairs an old garment with new cloth or the cloth will tear, or puts new wine into old wineskins or skin will burst and be ruined. A ruler said his daughter had just died but would live if Jesus laid His Hands on her, so Jesus went with him; on the way a woman who had been menstruating non-stop for twelve years touched the hem of Jesus' robe and was Healed - Jesus said her faith had made her well. Then He raised the ruler's little girl to life again. Jesus said to two blind men "according to your faith it will be done for you" then they could see. Jesus cast a demon out of a man unable to speak, and he spoke. After that Jesus traveled to all the cities and villages preaching and Healing every disease. He said He needs labourers to gather His harvest.

Application? - If I am ever foolish enough to beg Jesus to leave me alone, He will go away. Does some unrepented Sin paralyse me in some area? Do I introduce all those I associate with to Jesus? Do I fast longing to hear from the Lord, or hoping it will encourage Him to do what I want? Do I recognise Jesus' Power and totally trust Him to Heal me and bring me to Life? Jesus will act on my behalf according to my faith and His knowledge of what is best for me in the long-run. Do I feel compassion for those who don't know Jesus as Saviour and Lord? What do I do about it? Am I labourer in the Lord's harvest field? Do I pray for more labourers?

Quote:- (David Pawson) "Jesus gave His teaching in the context of His deeds and He performed miracles in the context of His Teaching . . . we need the balance of Word and deed. We also need to be told . . . what Christ has done for us and then be faced with what we are to do for the Lord. We are led astray if we focus on one and not the other. . . the Power of the Kingdom releases us from sin, so that we may live in the purity of the Kingdom . . .We cannot teach people how to live the Christian life without giving them the teaching in the framework of what Christ achieved for them on the cross."

Frances
Sep 25th 2009, 04:20 PM
Matthew 10

What does the Text say? - Jesus disciples were Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Labbaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon and Judas Iscariot. Jesus gave His disciples Power to cast out unclean spirits and to Heal all kinds of sickness and disease and sent them out, not to the Gentiles or Samaritans but only to the people of Israel, preaching the nearness of the Kingdom of Heaven and Healing the sick, cleansing lepers, raising the dead, and casting out demons - giving freely to others as they received from Him; they were to carry no money or extra clothing, to stay with those open to Him. At each home they visited offering peace (which would be returned to them if the household was not open to Christ) and taking nothing from those who do not accept what they say. Jesus sent them out as sheep among wolves, so they must be wise and innocent of all wrong; even so, they would be arrested but mustn't worry as the Holy Spirit would tell them what to say. Parents and siblings would cause their death, they would be hated because of Jesus, but those who endured to the end would be Saved. When persecuted in one place they must go to another, but must not fear those who kill the body, but fear God who is able to destroy the soul and body - He will take care of them. Whoever publicly acknowledged Jesus their Lord would be acknowledged by Him to His Father in Heaven, but He will disregard all who deny Him. Jesus didn't come to bring physical peace on earth but to divide people into those who adhere to Him above all else, and those who don't - those who value Life with Him above all else will have it. Jesus will regard all things done (good or bad) for one of His disciples as being done for Him personally.

Application? - If I am truly submitted to Jesus He will give me His Power to do His Will. - do I use God’s Power for His Purposes? Do I trust God to provide my needs while I constantly obey Him? Do I offer the Lord's Peace to each household I visit? Do I expect to be accepted by everyone? or remember that Jesus said His followers would be treated badly? Do I ensure that those who reject the Gospel are not badly influenced by my presentation of it, or my action? Am I most concerned to please mankind or God? which do I fear most? If I tell others, and act as though, Jesus is my Lord He will acknowledge that I belong to Him, if I deny Him He will deny that He knows me. It is not unusual for a Christian to be alienated from family and/or friends. Do I love anyone more than I love Jesus? Will I remain faithful to Jesus even if it means I will be mistreated or killed? Do I do all I am able for those in need?

Quote:- (David Pawson) “There is . . . a considerable volume of teaching on Judgment from the lips of Jesus Himself. What is more, a close examination of the context of each warning about Hell will reveal that all but two were given to born-again believers. . . Starting to follow Jesus is no ticket to Heaven. Followers must fear Hell themselves if they are to remain ‘on the way’. Eg. “Do not fear those who can kill your body and after that do nothing; rather fear Him who can destroy body and soul in Hell.” He is actually addressing Christian missionaries (His disciples) just before He sends them out to declare and demonstrate the Kingdom. He does not say the fear of Hell should be part of their message to sinners, but rather that t hey should fear it themselves. . . . Christians should fear finishing up on God’s rubbish heap. . .”

Frances
Sep 26th 2009, 04:52 PM
Matthew 11

What does the Text say? - Jesus went to the cities to teach and preach. John the Baptist sent two of his disciples to ask Jesus if He was the Messiah or not. Jesus replied 'tell John what you see and hear, ‘the blind see, the lame walk, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life and the Gospel is preached' and also that John was Blessed because he was not jealous of what God enabled Jesus to do. Then Jesus told the crowd that John had fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah (40:3) and is 'Elijah who is to come (Luke 1:17), also ’the Kingdom of heaven is advancing forcefully and violent people are attacking it’. Before John came all the prophets looked forward to the time of Jesus. Some people will find fault whatever God's servants do. Jesus cursed the cities where He had performed great miracles, because they did not repent. The only people who know Father God and Jesus Christ are those who receive that revelation from Jesus Himself; He gives Rest to the weary and burdened, if they will join themselves to Him.

What does it mean to me? - Am I jealous of those who do greater things than I do for the Lord? or am I grateful for the task God has given them and the ability necessary to accomplish it? Do I use all the ability I have? Am I a messenger for Jesus Christ? Do I prepare folk to receive Him? Do I find fault with those who don't worship God as I do? Would Jesus be justified in cursing my town because the people don't repent? Do I walk and work with Jesus? Am I as meek as a well trained and obedient horse? Am I learning more of Jesus and His Ways each day? Have I experienced His Peace and Rest in stressful situations? Have I discovered that His yoke is easy and His burden light?

Quote:- (David Pawson) "We tend to be rather more keen on Blessings, forgetting that Jesus uttered curses as well In Jesus' day there were 250,000 people living on the shores of Galilee in 4 major cities. Today there is just one town. Why? Jesus said "Woe to you, Chorazin . . .Bethsaida . . . Capernaum . . .' and they have all disappeared. The only town He didn't curse was Tiberias and it is still there."

Frances
Sep 27th 2009, 05:33 PM
Matthew 12

What does the text say? Jesus, the Son of Man, is Lord of days dedicated to God, He is greater than any Law; He desires 'mercy not sacrifice'. When, to 'test' Jesus, He was asked if it was lawful to Heal on the Sabbath He said anyone would rescue a sheep from harm on the Sabbath, and a man was more valuable than a sheep, so it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath; He told a man with a withered hand to stretch it out, and it became whole - then the Pharisees discussed how to destroy Jesus. Knowing of their discussions Jesus went elsewhere followed by many people and He Healed them all. Then He Healed a demon-possessed blind and mute man, enabling him to speak and see, so people began wondering if He could be their Messiah. Accused of working for the devil, Jesus told the Pharisees He cast out demons by the Finger of God, and that those not helping Him gather folk into God's Kingdom were sending folk away from Him; also those speaking against Himself would be forgiven, but those speaking against the Holy Spirit would never be Forgiven. Everyone will have to give an account of every idle word they've said, and will either be justified or condemned. When some scribes and Pharisees asked Jesus to prove His ability by doing a miracle He declined, except for likening His forthcoming death and resurrection to the time Jonah was inside the whale; also saying the men of Nineveh, who had repented at Jonah's preaching, would condemn those who didn't repent when they heard Jesus. When demons are cast out, if the person, though cleansed, is not filled (with Holy Spirit), the demon will return with 7 more. Jesus said whoever does the Will of God is His brother, sister or mother - indicating that His earthly relatives had no special place in His Kingdom.

Application? - I am responsible for keeping the Sabbath (Sunday in my case) Holy myself, but I must not do so dogmatically at the expense of others. (eg. Although I do not buy anything on a Sunday, if taking someone to hospital on Sunday necessitated buying petrol I would do so). Healing others in Jesus' Name is suitable 'work' for Holy days. I cannot keep secrets from Jesus Christ. If I am like Jesus I will not quarrel, or shout, nor will I crush anyone's spirit, but will encourage justice for all, as I encourage everyone to trust Jesus’ death and resurrection on their behalf. If I am not obeying God I am actively encouraging others to disobey Him too. If I blaspheme the Holy Spirit (eg. by saying He did something He did not, or give credit for His Work to another) I will not be Forgiven by God. The quality of Fruit in my life, and my words will be my judge. Do I always seek demonstrations of God's Power? or am I content to trust His Word? I must not cast out demons from those who are not Christians, or they may eventually become in a worse state than previously. I must follow Jesus’ example and not exalt Jesus earthly parents or siblings above anyone who serves Jesus Christ.

Frances
Sep 28th 2009, 04:56 PM
Matthew 13

What does the text say? - Jesus taught a multitude, who were on the shore, speaking in parables (earthly stories with heavenly meanings) from a boat. He told of seed sown that was either eaten by birds, falling on stones, sprouting quickly then withering equally fast, or where thorns choked the young plants, and also some that fell on good ground where they produced a good crop; Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is like someone sowing good seed but inferior plants grew in the same place, so both were allowed to grow together until Harvest, then the harvest from the good seed would be kept but the rest burnt. Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is like a tiny mustard seed which grows into a large tree that birds nest in. The Kingdom of Heaven is also like yeast that makes dough for bread rise; and like treasure in a field that someone would sell all they have to buy the field; or to buy expensive pearls. The Kingdom of Heaven is also like a trawl net, gathering all kinds of fish the good to be kept and the rest thrown away - just as the angels will separate the 'just' and the wicked at the end of the Age, throwing the 'wicked into a furnace. Every writer who understands the meaning of the Parables and the Old Testament will share New and Old truths. Jesus returned to Nazareth, where He was rejected because the people had known Him and His earthly family since He was a boy - so He didn't do many miracles there because of their unbelief.

Application? - Is my heart stony, thorny or good ground for the Word of God? Do I really understand the deeper meaning of the parables and how they apply to me? or think of them as pleasant stories? Is my life bearing Fruit for the Lord? or is it unfruitful - either because I have allowed worldly cares to come between me and the Lord, or because I have allowed my original faith in Him to have withered and died? Is living with unbelievers restricting my spiritual growth? Am I in good ground - in a church where I receive good teaching and have fellowship with those dedicated to serving the Lord? Am I continuing to grow spiritually, able to shield those sheltering from the storms of life? Do I meditate on God's Word, enabling His Word to constantly nourish me? Do I act like a Christian but bear un-Godly Fruit? Am I willing to give up what is precious to me to serve the Lord better? At the end of the Age will I be safe with the Lord, or cast to the flames? Have I been rejected in my home town because of my association with Jesus Christ? He was too!!!

Quote:- (David Pawson) "We should not worry if 3 out of every 4 seeds come to nothing . . . the kingdom of Satan will grow alongside the Kingdom of God until they are separated at the final harvest. The mustard seed . . . paralleled the growth of the Church . . . Jesus tells us not to worry about bad converts . . . we must wait until the 'fish' are finally brought to shore on the last day . . ."

Frances
Sep 29th 2009, 05:02 PM
Matthew 14

What does the text say? - John the Baptist was beheaded on Herod's orders, as a result of a promise made to Herodias' daughter. When Jesus heard John was dead He went by boat, by Himself, to a deserted place. A large crowd heard where He had gone and followed Him on foot. When He saw them all Jesus had compassion on them and Healed the sick. In the evening when His disciples wanted Jesus to send the crowd away to get food, Jesus told them to feed the multitude themselves, but only 5 loaves and 2 fish were available; He Blessed the food, broke it, and gave it to the disciples to distribute - and everyone in the crowd of 5,000 men plus women and children had sufficient, and 12 basketfuls of left-overs were collected (1 basket from each disciple who had previously eaten his own meal ?). Jesus sent the disciples away in the boat while He sent the crowd away, then went up the mountain by Himself to pray. The disciples were in the boat in a rough sea during the night when they saw Jesus walking on the water and thought He was a ghost and were afraid. Immediately Jesus told them not to be afraid. Peter asked Jesus to command Him to walk to Him on the water - Jesus said "Come". Peter started to walk to Jesus, but, noticing the wind and waves, began to sink, and cried out 'Lord, save me'. Jesus caught him and said "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" When they got into the boat the wind ceased. The others in the boat worshipped Jesus, recognising Him to be the Son of God. They went to Gennesaret where sick folk from the surrounding area were brought to Him, begging to touch the hem of His garment - and as many as touched it were made perfectly well.

Application? - Have I ever made a rash promise? Do I persuade others to kill (the reputation) of those who offend me? If I want to be alone but am surrounded by those who need me, do I get annoyed or fulfill their needs? Do I share what I have with those who have similar needs to mine? Jesus will always fulfill my needs. Do I trust Jesus enough to leave my 'comfort zone' to 'walk on water' (do what would be impossible without Him) Do I, first, ensure that I am totally submitted to Jesus, that He has Commanded me to do it, and I'm not just assuming He will save me from the result of my presumption? When I am obeying the Lord I can still drown in difficulties if I take my eyes of faith off of Him. Am I trusting God to allow me the degree of physical, mental and spiritual Health that is right for me at the present time? Do I work with Him towards that end, taking wise physical, mental and spiritual exercise?

Frances
Sep 30th 2009, 05:26 PM
Matthew 15

What does the text say? Jesus said human traditions may be responsible for leading folk away from the intention of God's Word, so that people honour Him with their words but not from their hearts, they worship Him in vain because they teach their own ideas and traditions as coming from God, they are blind leaders of the blind leading others into a ditch. It is not eating with unwashed hands that defiles a person, but what they say because that shows what is in their heart. Although Jesus came to earth specifically for the benefit of the Jews He still Healed a Gentile's daughter in Phoenicia because she had faith in Him and would not be turned from Him. Jesus returned to Galilee where a multitude brought sick, maimed, blind and mute folk to Him and He Healed them - so God was Glorified by about 4,000 men plus women and children, then He fed them all, and had 7 baskets of left-overs, by Blessing and breaking 7 loaves and a few small fish. Then He went to Magadan/Magdala (Mark said Dalmanutha).

Application? - Do I assume human traditions must necessarily be included if my worship of God is not to fall short? (eg. does what I enjoy really glorify God?) Do I say or sing what honours God while my heart is far away from Him? Do I teach others (including posting on the internet) erroneously learned ideas as the meaning of Scripture? What I say could defile me, but learned ritual cannot purify or defile me. Am I a 'blind leader of the blind? Does what I say sound wise but lead others away from God and His intentions? or sound foolish and annoy others but, in fact, be true? Does what God sees in my heart Glorify Him or not? Do I continue to trust Jesus and follow Him in spite of difficulties? Does my life Glorify the God of Israel/ Do I practice hospitality?

Frances
Oct 1st 2009, 06:43 PM
Matthew 16

What does the text say? - The Pharisees and Saducees asked Jesus to show them a sign from Heaven, He replied that they were hypocrites because they did not discern the signs of the times, and the only sign He would give them was the sign of Jonah. When the disciples forgot to take bread Jesus said they must beware of the leaven (doctrine) of the Pharisees and remember how He had fed 5,000 and 4,000 with very little. At Caesarea Philippi Jesus asked His disciples who people said He was, and who they thought He was; when Simon Peter answered 'You are the Christ the Son of the Living God' Jesus said that answer was revelation from God, and that he was Peter (Petros - a little stone) and on the Rock(Petra - of revelation and faith) He will build His Church and give His disciples the keys to His Kingdom, also what has been bound in Heaven they will have His Authority to bind on earth. From that time Jesus spoke to His disciples of His forthcoming torture, death and resurrection in Jerusalem - when Peter objected Jesus called him Satan and a stumbling block because he didn't understand the ways of God. Jesus also said anyone who desired to follow Him must deny human feelings and take up their cross; that whoever wants to save their life will lose it, and whoever looses it for His sake will find it. Gaining everything possible on earth is no advantage if a relationship with God is lost in the process, for Jesus will return in the Glory of His Father with His angels and will reward each according to what they've done and some there would not taste death until they'd seen Jesus coming in Glory.

Application? - Do I discern the 'signs of the times'? Do I ask Jesus to prove His Power to me in some way before I will trust Him? Do I stick firmly to the Word of God or add a little in one place and detract a little in another? Am I concerned about what I have, inadvertently, overlooked? or do I trust Jesus to do good in spite of my failings? Who is Jesus to me? is He my Saviour, my Lord and my God - the One who came to earth to pay my penalty for my Sin on the cross, enabling me to receive God's Forgiveness, then rose to Life enabling me to rise to new Life with Him? or do I believe He was just a good man whose teaching I try to adhere to? If I am Jesus' disciple I have the knowledge that is the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven; do I open the door of that knowledge and invite others to become part of His Church or keep the keys in my pocket? Have I felt invincible after being used by the Lord in some way, only to act without Him, and let Him down, very soon afterwards? Am I more concerned about things important from a worldly, or heavenly, perspective? Do I deliberately follow Christ and stay faithful to Him,, in large and small ways, whatever the cost in human terms may be? Will I see Jesus coming for me at my death or will He have returned to earth in Glory before that?

Quote (Dr. Henry h. Halley) "The Greek text runs literally, 'thou art petros and upon this 'petra' I will build my Church.' The word 'petros' means a small stone. In Liddell and Scott's Greek lexicon the word is quoted to apply to sling-stones and boundary-stones among other contexts. . . on the other hand the lexicon quotes 'petra' as applied to Mt. Olympus and the Caucasus. . . the meaning of the passage is clear. The Lord says "You are Peter and any man can move you, but the faith you have expressed in My deity is a rock immovable as the mountains, on it I will build My Church."

Frances
Oct 2nd 2009, 05:21 PM
Matthew 17

What does the text say? - Jesus took Peter, James and John to a mountain where He was transfigured, His face and clothes shone brightly, and Moses and Elijah appeared speaking to Him. Peter wouldn't keep quiet. A cloud covered them and a Voice said "This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him" which frightened the disciples. Jesus said they must tell no one the Vision until He was risen from the dead; He also said Elijah (John the Baptist) had come again. Jesus Healed an epileptic boy after casting out a demon - which His disciples couldn't do because of their insufficient prayer, fasting and faith. Jesus spoke again of His forthcoming death and resurrection. He enabled Peter to pay the temple tax for them both, by sending Peter to catch a fish that would have the right amount in it's mouth for them both.

Application? - Have I ever been jealous of other Christians who have had Spiritual experience I have not? Do I ever talk foolishly just to break a golden silence like Peter? Do I know when it is the right time to share revelation from God and when to keep it to myself? Have I got sufficient faith in Jesus Power to allow Him to use me to cast out evil spirits and Heal in His Name? Am I sorrowful to know Jesus suffered and died? Am I amazed and humbled to know it was because He took my place? How am I Glorifying Him in the New Life He has given me? or have I not accepted the New Life and being filled with His Spirit He offers yet? Do I trust Jesus to fulfill my financial needs (but not necessarily my wants)? Do I try to prove my entitlements from Scripture? Do I do all I am able not to offend others unnecessarily?

Frances
Oct 3rd 2009, 04:34 PM
Matthew 18

What does the text say? - the disciples asked Jesus who was the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven Jesus said "unless you are converted and become as little children there is no way you can enter the Kingdom of Heaven". whoever humbles themselves as a little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven, and whoever welcomes such a one welcomes Him; but whoever entices someone who believes in Him to Sin would be better off dead. If your hand or foot causes you to sin cut it off, it is better to enter Life lame or maimed than to be cast into Hell fire. Jesus said He had come to seek and Save the lost. He said a shepherd with 100 sheep will always search for one that has strayed and rejoices when it is found , in the same way your Father in Heaven is not willing to let anyone belonging to Him to perish. If another Christian Sins against you speak to them privately, if they take no notice take 2 or 3 more to speak to them of their misdeed, if they still take no notice tell the whole church and treat that person as an outcast. Whatever Jesus' disciples are able to bind or loose on earth will have been bound or loosed in Heaven. If 2 disciples agree concerning anything they ask of God in Jesus’ Name it will be done for them, for where 2 or 3 are gathered in Jesus' Name He is there too. Jesus said forgiveness must be given endlessly to those who repent of their sin or their Heavenly Father will not Forgive those who withhold forgiveness.

Application? - Have I made a U-turn to God from those things in my life displeasing to Him? Do I always obey Him without question? Do I welcome all of Jesus' disciples - even when it is inconvenient, or I really don't like them? Do I ever cause anyone who trusts God to sin in any way? Have I ever enticed anyone to Sin? I am responsible for cutting everything out of my life that causes me to Sin. Do I ever consider a child less 'spiritual' than myself? Do I search for those who belong to Jesus but have strayed, as diligently as I'd search (as a shepherd) for a sheep that strayed? Do I follow Jesus' directions for dealing with being sinned against? or broadcast the sin without speaking to the sinner? Do i repeatedly, genuinely, forgive those who sin against me? I am only able to bind and loose what has already been bound or loosed in Heaven. When I meet with other Christians Jesus is there with us. Jesus knows everything I do.

Frances
Oct 4th 2009, 04:17 PM
Matthew 19

What does the text say? - Jesus left Galilee and went to Judea beyond the Jordan, a multitude followed Him and He Healed the people there. The Pharisees asked Him if it was lawful for a man to divorce His wife, Jesus replied that God ordained that on marriage the man and woman become one, so what God has joined together man cannot separate unless there has been adultery. He said celibacy is a Gift. Jesus said "Let the little children come to Me for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven". He also said that a rich young ruler who kept all the Commandments should give his wealth to the poor to receive treasure in Heaven, and it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye than for a rich man to get into Heaven. Jesus' disciples then asked who then can be Saved Jesus replied that it is impossible for people but not for God, and that in His Kingdom His 12 disciples will Judge the 12 tribes of Israel; and those who have given up worldly benefits for His sake will receive Eternal Life and 100 times more then they gave up.

Application? - Am I willing to leave one place to follow Jesus to another? Do I need to go somewhere else to be Healed (physically, mentally or spiritually)? Marriage must not be undertaken lightly. The only grounds for divorce is adultery. Do I keep the full meaning of the Commandments? Have I killed anyone's reputation through Gossip(as someone has more than once killed mine)? Have I ever thought of sex outside marriage(Matt.5:28)? Have I ever taken anything that I have no right to? Have I ever said anything not 100% true? Have I always honored my parents and their memory? Am I as concerned for my neighbour's well-being and pleasure as I am for my own? In the society in which I live I am not rich, but compared to those in some other parts of the world I am; do I share what I have with them in responsible ways? I am, and will be, only Saved by the Mercy and Grace of God. Do I give up pleasure, people or possessions of value to me, to obey and please Jesus?

Note:- I understand that the ‘eye of the needle’ was a space beside the city gate just big enough for a man to get through after the gates were closed on the Sabbath, but too small for a donkey or camel (so no work could be done).

Frances
Oct 5th 2009, 04:40 PM
Matthew 20

What does the text say? - Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is like a landowner who agreed with some men the wages for a day's work, then hired more men 3,6,9 and 11 hours later, paying all of them the same amount at the end of the day. On the way to Jerusalem from Jericho Jesus told His disciples that He would be betrayed by the chief priests and scribes who would condemn Him to death, deliver Him to Gentiles to mock, whip and crucify Him, but He would rise again on the 3rd day. Jesus was asked to give James and John the places of greatest power in His Kingdom by their mother, but He said that honour was not His to give, in His Kingdom the humble (those who obey Him instantly whatever that may entail), not those who consider themselves something special, will be greatest, reminding them that even He had come to earth to serve and not to be served. Jesus Healed 2 blind men who called out to Him for Mercy; when they told Jesus what they wanted Him to do for them He enabled them to see, and they followed Him.

Application? - If I am submitted to, and serve, the Lord Jesus Christ for many years before I die, and another person serves Him for only a short time we will both receive the same Blessings in Eternity (but I will have had the great joy of a relationship with Him, being able to serve Him and experiencing His Peace during my life with Him.) Do I realise how important everything Jesus says to me is? Am I content to serve others, or do I try to appear 'great' in some way? Do I realise that obeying the Lord and taking an 'up front' position when I would prefer to remain in the background is 'humility'? Do I cry out to Jesus for Mercy and trust Him with the result?

Frances
Oct 6th 2009, 05:57 PM
Matthew 21

What does the text say? - Nearing Jerusalem Jesus sent two of His disciples into Bethpage to fetch a donkey and her colt, fulfilling Zecharia's prophecy (Zech. 9:9). Jesus rode the colt into Jerusalem on the palm branches the crowd had cut from the trees; the people surrounded Him as He rode singing "Hosanna (save us), Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord". Jesus then went into the Temple and drove out the money changers and those who sold doves for sacrifices,(He had done the same thing at the start of His Ministry (Luke 19:54-47) then Jesus went to the Bethany. As He was going back to Jerusalem in the morning Jesus was hungry, finding no fruit (on a fig tree that should have had 'embryo' figs for the next harvest) He said no fruit would grow on it again, and it immediately withered away, to the disciple's amazement. Jesus said if they believe what they say it will happen, and whatever they pray for will be received. When they reached the Temple the chief priests and elders confronted Jesus demanding to know who gave Him Authority; Jesus answered with a question they were not willing to answer, so He refused to answer their question to Him. Jesus then asked the crowd who did the will of their father, the son who said 'I will' but doesn't obey, or the one who said 'I won't' but then obeys – then He said outcasts who 'go the way of righteousness' (submit their lives to Him) would enter the Kingdom of Heaven before them. Then He told another parable, of vinedressers who killed the vineyard owner's son rather than give him his due; He said the Kingdom of God, of which He was the cornerstone, would be taken from the people it was intended for, and given to those who bear Fruit for Him. Jesus also said whoever falls on the cornerstone (Him) will be broken, and whoever the cornerstone falls on will be ground to powder.

Application? - Jesus doesn't tell me to do anything for which He has not already made preparation. Do I regard Jesus Christ primarily as a means of earthly ease and comfort who will ease my path through this life, or the Person who paid the penalty for my Sin, has Work for me to do that may result in ignomy and discomfort? Do I regard those who worship God as a source of money for me and my projects? Do I realise what I say, good and bad, has consequences? When I pray do I really believe God is able, and willing, to do what I pray for - or is it just a form of words or wishful thinking? Do I bear fruit for Jesus? Do I recognise the difference between those who speak with God's Authority and those who don't? Do I heed the right ones? Do I always obey God? Do I ever try to gain what is rightfully God's for myself? If I offend Jesus I will be broken, and if He turns against me . . . . .

Frances
Oct 7th 2009, 04:57 PM
Matthew 22

What does the text say? - Jesus told a parable to show that only those who accept the King's invitation (accept Jesus' offer of Salvation), are always available to Him(do His Will His Way not their own, however inconvenient), and will be wearing His robe of Righteousness. The Pharisees tried to trick Jesus into saying something that would either offend the crowd or the Romans, but He said God must be given His due and Caesar (the worldly government) theirs. The Sadducees tried to trap Jesus but He demonstrated their 'twisting' of Scripture ; He explained that in the resurrection there is no marriage and that, as far as God is concerned, those who have lived with Him on earth, in the past, are still alive eg. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. In answer to questioning by a lawyer about 'the greatest Commandment' Jesus quoted 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind' and added as the 2nd 'you shall love your neighbour as yourself' and said that all teaching in scripture relates to one or the other. Jesus asked the Pharisees whose Son the Christ was, they answered ‘the Son of David’ but Jesus asked how He could be David's son as David had called the Christ 'Lord'.

Application? - Am I 'worthy' to be in God's Kingdom (ie. am I trusting Jesus Christ for my Salvation, enabling His Righteous to cover all my Sins)? If I don't give worldly leaders what is due to them (which may not be all they want) am I truly honouring God as He deserves? I can be deceived if I don't know His Word, and fully realise His Power. I will still be alive to God when my earthly body has died. Do I love Almighty God with all my heart, mind and spirit? Am I as concerned about other people's well-being, in body, mind and spirit, as I am about my own? Do I fully realise the implications of Jesus Christ being the Son of God - ie, that He also is God?

Frances
Oct 8th 2009, 04:12 PM
Matthew 23

What does the text say? - Jesus told the multitude that although they must do as the scribes and Pharisees said, they must not do what they did - wanting to appear devoted to God while obtaining the best treatment for themselves. Those who have the greatest responsibility must serve others the most diligently or they will be humiliated. Jesus cursed those who became rich at other folk's expense, whose long prayers were not from their heart but for show, and those missionaries who did not teach their converts to live humbly before God, but to twist His Word by their own un-Godly rules. Jesus cursed those who were pernickety regarding relatively unimportant matters of worship while ignoring the very important justice, mercy and faith, also those who make a show of worshipping God but who live un-Godly, unrighteous, lives. Jesus said He would continue to send those who would speak and write His Truth, even though the leaders would torture some and kill others. He said He'd longed to protect all the people but they wouldn't come to Him - but one day they will see Him for who He really is.

Application? - Do I listen to Jesus? Do I heed what He says? Does everything in my life please God? Do I expect others to do more than I do myself? Am I only involved in those things that mark me out as 'someone special', or am I content to serve others, in the background? Is my life a good illustration of a Christian or does what others know of me turn them away from the Lord? Do I make a show of being a Christian? Do I always treat others as Jesus would? When I tell others of Jesus and His offer of Salvation, do I ensure all I say is 100% true to the Biblical account, with nothing added or taken away? Do I concern myself with the minutia of worshipping God but neglect being just, merciful and faithful to Him too? Do I worship, love and praise God outwardly while allowing myself to continue in an un-Godly habit? Do I ever persecute anyone in any way? Do I go to Jesus or to other people for comfort and to learn more of Him? Do I bless those who tell me unpalatable truths in obedience to Jesus Christ?

Quote:- (Dr Henry H. Halley) "Pharisees . . . stood for the rigid observance of . . . the Law and also for Traditions There were some good men among them; but in the main they were known for their covetousness, self-righteousness and hypocrisy. Scribes were the copyists of Scripture, because of their detailed aquaintance of the Law they were recognised authorities . . . These words of Jesus constitute the most bitter denunciation that ever fell from His lips; He never talked that way to sinners, publicans and the common people. . . He loathed religious pretence!!"

Frances
Oct 9th 2009, 01:30 PM
Matthew 24

What does the text say? - Jesus prophesied the destruction of the Temple (in AD 70). His disciples asked Jesus what the sign of His coming again and the end of the Age would be He said many would be deceived by false 'christs', there will be wars and rumors of wars, famines and earthquakes, Christians will be hated, tortured and killed, and there will be many false prophets, Sin will be rampant and the love of many will cease, but those who endure to the end will be Saved, and the Good News of the Kingdom will be preached throughout the world and then the end will come bringing more anguish than at any time before. God will shorten that time of tribulation or no one will be Saved. False prophets and false 'christs' will perform great miracles trying to deceive true Christians. Jesus Christ will return suddenly like lightening in the darkness, demonstrating His Power and Glory preceded by His sign in heaven. Heaven and earth will disappear but His Word never will. The people will ignore the possibility of Jesus' return just as they ignored Noah's warnings of the flood, and Jesus told a parable demonstrating the end of those who misuse the Power He gives His servants.

Application? - I must ensure I am not deceived by false 'christ's' or false prophets. I must not let wars or rumors of wars trouble me. I must expect famines and earthquakes in various places and to be persecuted for my allegiance to Jesus Christ and His Word. I must continue to witness to God's Forgiveness and Power to the end. I must continue to improve my knowledge of God through His Word so I will not be deceived by false prophets (will they know they are false prophets? or will they think they serve Christ?) I must live in such a way that if Jesus comes today I will have nothing to be ashamed of or regret.

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson) "Jesus gives 4 signs to look for before His Coming. (1) Disasters in the world: wars, famines, earthquakes, false Christs. (2) Developments in the Church: universal persecution, falling numbers, false prophets, complete mission. (3) Danger in the Middle East: sacrilegious dictator, unequaled (but limited) distress, false Christs and false prophets. (4) Darkness in the sky: sun, moon and stars gone, sky-wide lightening, the Coming of the true Christ and Christians gathered from the 4 winds.

Frances
Oct 10th 2009, 04:24 PM
Matthew 25

What does the text say? - Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is like 10 virgins waiting to accompany the bridegroom into his wedding. The 5 wise virgins took extra oil for their lamps and the 5 foolish ones had not. The bridegroom was delayed so it was midnight before his coming was announced and the foolish virgins had to go to buy more oil for their lamps. While they were gone the bridegroom arrived and those who were ready went in to the wedding with him and the door was shut. When the foolish virgins came back he refused to open the door, saying he didn't know them.
So be prepared at all times for the Son of Man to come.
The Kingdom of Heaven is also like a man leaving his money with his servants according to their ability, 5 bags to one, two bags to another and one bag to the third. The two who had received most both used it to trade and doubled their master's money, the third man buried the bag of money. A long time later their lord came back to settle accounts with them. The servants who had doubled what he'd left with them were praised and given the joy of doing much more for Him, the one who had buried what was left with him returned it, his lord called him wicked and lazy and ordered him to be cast into 'outer darkness' to weep and gnash his teeth, and the money given to the one with most.
Jesus also said that when He returns in Glory with His angels all the nations of the earth will be gathered in front of Him, he will sort them out as a shepherd sorts the
sheep on the right hand, from the goats on the left. He will commend those on His right for giving Him food and water when He was hungry and thirsty, gave Him clothes when He needed them, visited Him when He was sick and went to Him when He was in prison, He said that as they had done these things for one of the least of His people they had done them for Him. He will send those on His left to the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels, because they had not helped His people.

Application? - Am I prepared for Jesus to return at any moment? Am I filled with His Holy Spirit, having nothing in my life to grieve Him and turn Him away from me? or am I foolish enough to think I can live to please myself now and will have the opportunity, and inclination, to repent and please Him before I die? Do I use the talents and Gifts God has given me to encourage others to enter Christ's Kingdom and for the welfare of Christians less fortunate than myself?

Quotes:- (David Pawson) "there is a considerable volume of teaching on Judgment from the lips of Jesus Himself. What is more, a close examination of the context of each warning about Hell will reveal that all but two were given to born-again believers."

(Henry H. Halley) "the Parable of the Talents means we are in training for a larger service yet to be, and that our place and standing there will depend on the faithfulness of our stewardship here."

soldout4God
Oct 10th 2009, 05:18 PM
So far I've only gotten through the first five. Your fingers must really hurt!!!:D
But I'm glad you posted all of it :). You should really write a book!!
Those are some good indepth applications to think on! Thanks!
God Bless!!

soldout4God
Oct 10th 2009, 05:34 PM
Wow! I just realized you wrote alot of other Bible Study threads!!
I'm gonna be on here for years!!!:lol: Thanks for taking the time to post them!!:)

Frances
Oct 11th 2009, 04:23 PM
Matthew 26:1 - 16

What does the text say? - Jesus told His disciples that the Passover would be celebrated in 2 days and He would be handed over to be crucified. Then the chief priests, scribes and elders of the people met at the palace of Caiaphas, the High Priest, and plotted to arrest Jesus in secret, and kill Him. When Jesus was at the home of Simon the leper a woman poured expensive fragrant oil on His head. The disciples thought the oil should have been sold to give money to the poor, but Jesus said she had done a good thing, the poor would always be there to help, but He would not, and she had prepared His body for burial, also her act of love would be told wherever the Gospel was told. Judas went to the Chief Priests and asked what they would give him to betray Jesus (did he think Jesus would show His Power by releasing Himself from the cross?), then waited for an opportunity to do so.

Application? - Do I always heed what Jesus has said? Have I ever considered how to kill anyone's reputation? Have I ever done something for Jesus that others have considered a waste of my resources? Do I give some of my income to those in need? Do I think I know best what, where and how, others should give? Will I be remembered for any selfless action for Jesus that others have disapproved of, long after I am dead? Have I ever tried to make use of Jesus or thought I could encourage Him to do what I want Him to?

Frances
Oct 12th 2009, 04:21 PM
Matthew 26: 17 - 35

What does the text say? - The disciples didn't know that Jesus had already made arrangements for the venue to celebrate the Passover with His disciples. Jesus knew which of His disciples would betray Him. Jesus instituted the 'Lord's Supper' when He gave thanks for the bread, broke it, and gave it to His disciples, saying it represented His body, then He gave thanks for the wine and gave it to the disciples saying it represented His Blood which would be shed for many for the Forgiveness of Sins. Jesus also said He would drink no more wine until He drank with them in His Father's Kingdom. They sang a hymn then went to the Mount of Olives. On the way Jesus said all of them would dessert Him, but after He was raised from the dead He would go to meet them in Galilee. Peter insisted that he would never dessert Jesus, to be told that before dawn he would deny Him 3 times, and all the other disciples denied any possibility of their denying Jesus.

Application - Jesus has already made preparations for what He wants me to do with Him, and will tell me what to do at the right time. He knows, in advance, all of the times I will let Him down, and when. Has Jesus given thanks for each of those in His Kingdom? Does He allow each one to be 'broken' in some way so they are more able to share His Gospel with others? Jesus will always meet me when I repent and go wherever He has told me to go, and do whatever He has told me to do. Am I waiting for the Lord to do something for me when I have not, yet, obeyed the last instructions He gave? Do I think nothing will make me deny Jesus, His Love and His Power? Am I denying Him now by an un-Godly lifestyle?

Quote:- (Dr Henry H. Halley)" In 1910 there was found, in the ruins of a cathedral on the site of Antioch, a cup, containing an inner cup, that is thought by able scholars possibly to have been the actual cup that Jesus used that holy night. The inner cup is a plain silver cup, the outer cup of silver is exquisitely carved with twelve figures, representing Christ and the apostles. The outer cup was evidently made to hold the inner, as a sacred precious object older than itself. the art and workmanship is considered to be of the first century. The last supper is thought to have been in the home of Mark's mother. Mark frequently visited Antioch.

Frances
Oct 13th 2009, 04:18 PM
Matthew 26 36 - 46

What does the text say? - Jesus went to the garden of Gethsemane with His disciples and told most of them to sit down. He took Peter, James and John a bit further with Him, Jesus told them to watch and pray as He was deeply distressed, then He went a bit further on and prayed that, if possible, God would take the 'cup of suffering' but if there was no other way He would do God's Will. Then He returned to Peter, James and John who were sleeping, and asked if they couldn't even stay awake with Him for one hour, also that they must be alert and pray that they didn't fall into temptation, for even though they may be willing to obey Him their flesh was weak. Jesus then went and prayed for the same thing twice more, and each time the disciples slept. Jesus woke them and said the one who was betraying Him had come.

Application - Do I watch and pray with Jesus about His concerns? or do I only pray about what concerns me? Am I sleeping - physically, mentally or spiritually? Is the lack of time I spend awake with Jesus, praying for what concerns Him, distressing Him? Do I let Jesus down too often? am I willing to go through suffering if it is God's Will for me? How do I react when I am betrayed? Do I let that betrayal ruin my life by making me bitter? or do I accept it as though it’s from the Lord to refine me?

Frances
Oct 14th 2009, 06:09 PM
Matthew 26: 47 - 75

What does the text say? - A crowd with swords and clubs sent by the chief priests, were with Judas when he betrayed Jesus with a kiss. One of Jesus' disciples (Peter) cut off the ear of the High Priest's servant - Jesus told him to put his sword away and said that He could have prayed for help and received more than 12 legions of angels, but if He did Scripture would not be fulfilled. All Jesus' disciples ran away when He was arrested; He was taken to Caiaphas the High Priest where the scribes and elders were assembled. Peter followed at a distance, then sat with the servants in the courtyard. Many people testified against Jesus untruthfully before two told of Jesus saying He would destroy God's Temple and re-build it in three days. The High Priest asked Jesus if He was the Messiah, the Son of God and He answered "yes" and also that they would see Him sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds; which Caiaphas said was blasphemy, and the men assembled agreed that Jesus deserved death. Jesus was ill-treated and mocked. Three times Peter was accused of being with Jesus, which he denied each time - then the cock crowed. And Peter wept bitterly.

Application - Has anyone been a friend to my face but acted as an enemy behind my back? Have I ever treated someone as a friend when with them, but spoken against them to others? Have I tried to defend Jesus but just caused trouble? When trusting God, and obeying Him, I pray for what I need to Glorify Him in Jesus' Name, He will give it. Does fear encourage me to deny that Jesus Christ is my Lord? Do I know what God's word says of Jesus Christ but fail to grasp Who He really is and His Power to protect me from the Death I deserve? have I ever mistreated anyone because they were 'different' or to please others?

Frances
Oct 15th 2009, 04:11 PM
Matthew 27: 1 - 26

What does the text say? - In the morning the chief priests and elders planned how they would annihilate Jesus. They took Him to Pilate the Roman governor. When Judas realised Jesus was condemned to die he was remorseful and tried to give back the 30 silver coins he'd been paid to betray Jesus, as the priests wouldn't take it back Judas threw it on the ground, then went and hung himself. The chief priests wouldn't put the money into the Treasury as it had been paid for murder, so bought the Potter's field for a cemetery for foreigners (Zech. 11:12-13). When Pilate asked Jesus if He was the King of the Jews, Jesus said "Yes", but while the chief priests and elders accused Him Jesus remained silent. Pilate asked the crowd if they wanted Jesus or Barabbas released, to fulfill the custom at Passover. the crowd, persuaded by the chief priests, shouted "Barabbas". Meanwhile Pilate's wife had sent him a message saying 'Have nothing to do with that innocent Man, I have suffered a terrible nightmare because of Him last night.' Pilate asked the crowd what he should do with Jesus, and they shouted "Crucify Him", so Pilate washed his hands and said "I am innocent of His Blood" but sent Jesus to be crucified after He'd been flogged.

Application? - Have I ever plotted against anyone? Have I tried to ensure others get the blame for evil I initiate? If I agree to do wrong, if I get paid for it or not, I will be guilty of that Sin. Do any of my actions unwittingly fulfill prophecy? Do I know when to speak and when to keep silent? Do I ever suffer through no fault of my own as Jesus did? What leads me to suppose I should be treated any better than the Lord? Have I ever, willingly, taken another person's punishment? Have I ever tried to 'wash my hands' of and action of mine I know is wrong? Do I know the stain of each Sin I allow or encourage remains unless I trust Jesus to wash me clean?

Frances
Oct 16th 2009, 05:05 PM
Matthew 27:27 - 44

What does the text say? - The Governor's soldiers took Jesus to their headquarters and the whole regiment gathered round Him. They stripped Jesus, put a crown of thorns on His head and a reed in His hand and mocked Him, saying "Hail King of the Jews", they spat on Him, took the reed and hit Him on the head, then put Jesus' own clothes back on Him and took Him to be crucified. On the way the soldiers compelled Simon of Cyrene to carry Jesus' Cross to Golgotha (the place of the skull) where they crucified Him, after He was offered drugged wine, which He refused. The soldiers gambled for Jesus' clothes (Ps. 22:18). A sign was nailed over Jesus' head saying "This is Jesus, King of the Jews" Then two robbers were crucified, one on His right and one on His left. Many people mocked Jesus because He didn't demonstrate His Power and release Himself from the cross.

Application - Have I ever mocked Jesus or those who trust Him? Do I assume that because Jesus does nothing - in any situation - He doesn't have enough Power? How did Simon feel about carrying Jesus' cross? Was he pleased, or annoyed, to have to give that small service to Jesus? Jesus felt all the pain of flogging (from which some died) and crucifixion in my place, paying my penalty for my Sin. In what way do I show my gratitude?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)"Pilate was Roman governor of Judea 26-37AD. . . he came to Jerusalem at a time of Feasts to keep order. He was merciless, cruel, noted for his habitual brutality. . . One of the strangest pictures in history is the impression Jesus made on this heard-hearted Roman governor. . . his effort to get out of crucifying Jesus is a pitiful story. . . not till it looked as if it might cost him his position of Governor of Judea did he at last give his consent to the death of Jesus."

Frances
Oct 17th 2009, 04:41 PM
Matthew 27:45 - 54

What does the text say? - From the 6th to the 9th hour there was darkness over all the land. then Jesus shouted in despair "My God, My God why have You forsaken Me?" some of those nearby thought Jesus was calling for Elijah; one of them offered Him vinegar to drink, others were curious to see if Elijah came. Then Jesus cried out again saying "It is finished" (John 19:30) and died. At that moment the veil in the Temple was torn from top to bottom, there was an earthquake opening many graves, and many who had honoured God when they were alive were seen in Jerusalem. The centurion and others guarding Jesus realised He was, indeed, the unique Son of God.

Application - For three hours, God removed the light, allowing darkness to envelope Jesus while He was suffering on behalf of lost mankind. Jesus experienced what it meant to be apart from Father God and was in despair, so it's not surprising that if, because I have not turned away from all Sin, I am in despair and separated from God. When Jesus died the thick, heavy curtain in the Temple, that symbolically separated the people from God's Presence was torn from top to bottom (virtually impossible) signifying that everyone might now enter God's Presence (Heb. 9:6-8). Then when some of those who had died after living holy lives were seen in Jerusalem, after the earthquake, it proved that the power of death has been broken, and if I am trusting Jesus Christ I have no reason to fear it. The centurion, who had undoubtedly been present at many crucifixions, realised that Jesus was God's unique Son. Do I recognise the uniqueness of Jesus Christ? am I prepared to follow Him whatever difficulties are involved? Do I fully understand I cannot add Jesus to other gods in my life, but must give up all other gods before I will be able to really worship Him?

Frances
Oct 17th 2009, 04:43 PM
.................................................. ...

Frances
Oct 18th 2009, 04:06 PM
Matthew 27: 55 - 66

What does the text say? - Many women who'd come from Galilee with Jesus to help Him, kept watch from afar. In the evening Joseph of Arimathea, a rich disciple of Jesus’, asked Pilate for His body - which he put in the new tomb he had prepared for his own use, and rolled a large stone across the entrance. Two of Jesus' women followers watched. The following day the chief priests and Pharisees went to Pilate to ask him for a guard to be put on the tomb, in case Jesus' body was stolen by His disciples, so they could say He had risen from the dead on the 3rd day - as Jesus said He would. Pilate told them to arrange their own guard. So they sealed the tomb and set a guard.

Application - Would I leave home to help Jesus? Do I give Jesus what I have prepared for my own use? Have I, publicly, embraced Jesus in word and deed? Do I keep watch to discover what I can quietly do for Jesus? Do I ever try to make it appear that Jesus' Word has come true, or do I trust Him to ensure that it does - at the right time. Do I ever try to stop other people believing God's Word is true? (eg. do I teach evolution, or progressive Creation [over billions of years], as fact?)

Frances
Oct 19th 2009, 04:40 PM
Matthew 28

What does the text say? - On the first day of the week, at dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to the tomb. There was an earthquake, an angel of the Lord whose face and shone white, descended from heaven, rolled back the stone, and sat on it. The guards were paralysed with fear. The angel said to the women "don't be afraid. Jesus, who was crucified, is not here He is Risen as He said, come and see where He lay. Go and tell His disciples He is Risen and is going ahead of you to Galilee." So they ran with fear and joy to tell His disciples, on the way Jesus met them. They worshipped Him. He, also, told them to tell His brothers they would see Him in Galilee. Meanwhile, the guards reported to the Chief Priests, who bribed them to say Jesus' disciples stole His body while they slept (a capitol offence) and promised to ensure they weren't punished. Jesus disciples met Him in Galilee where He said "All authority has been given Me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptising (immersing) them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; teaching them to observe all things I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the Age."

Application - Do I ever get up at dawn to be with Jesus? God will ensure I am told what is necessary - do I always take heed? Jesus will often give confirmation of momentous things (eg. that He was Alive) and remind me of what I should be doing. He ensured no woman could be demoted in His Church by appearing to women and sending them to tell His disciples the most momentous news in history, and what they must do. Jesus is always with me when I am obeying Him. Have I ever bribed anyone to tell lies? Have I ever lied about anything myself (gossip is often passing on lies - 99% truth and 1% error is a lie). Do I recognise the full extent of Jesus' Authority? Do I make disciples, not just converts, for Him? Do I ensure they are only baptised when they are trusting in the Name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit? Do I do my best to ensure they know the importance of applying the whole of God's Word to their lives?

Note:- about 20years ago someone passed on something (with embellishments) they had heard about me from a person annoyed that I had refused to go to a fellowship meeting where the hostess wore an Ankh; that lie has been added to, in Christian circles, innumerable times since, surfacing many miles away and doing me irreparable harm recently. Like toothpaste squeezed from a tube those lies are cannot be eliminated.

Quote:- (David Pawson) 'Matthew's Gospel was a firm favourite with the early Church. They were concerned with the Great Commission to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to observe all that Jesus had commanded. Matthew's Gospel enabled them to do just that, as a manual of discipleship for both Jewish and Gentile believers. Uniting the Old and the New Testaments and telling the world that the Christ had come, the King of the Jews, fulfilling the Promise to Abraham, . . . and here is how we should live today as subjects of the King."