PDA

View Full Version : What is Grace? What is the definition in Greek?

arcadia
Sep 18th 2009, 07:15 PM
Many say that grace means unmerited favor. Some say it means an empowerment such as the grace not to sin. What do the Biblical Scholors say. I don't want your opinions or what grace means to you. I want the definition in Greek translated to English please.:confused

Partaker of Christ
Sep 18th 2009, 07:33 PM
This is from Vines: Hope it helps!

Grace
1. charis (G5485) has various uses, (a) objective, that which bestows or occasions pleasure, delight, or causes favorable regard; it is applied, e.g., to beauty, or gracefulness of person, Luk_2:40; act, 2Co_8:6, or speech, Luk_4:22, RV, "words of grace" (KJV, "gracious words"); Col_4:6; (b) subjective, (1) on the part of the bestower, the friendly disposition from which the kindly act proceeds, graciousness, loving-kindness, goodwill generally, e.g., Act_7:10; especially with reference to the divine favor or "grace," e.g., Act_14:26; in this respect there is stress on its freeness and universality, its spontaneous character, as in the case of God's redemptive mercy, and the pleasure or joy He designs for the recipient; thus it is set in contrast with debt, Rom_4:4, Rom_4:16, with works, Rom_11:6, and with law, Joh_1:17; see also, e.g., Rom_6:14, Rom_6:15; Gal_5:4; (2) on the part of the receiver, a sense of the favor bestowed, a feeling of gratitude, e.g., Rom_6:17 ("thanks"); in this respect it sometimes signifies "to be thankful," e.g., Luk_17:9 ("doth he thank the servant?" lit., "hath he thanks to"); 1Ti_1:12; (c) in another objective sense, the effect of "grace," the spiritual state of those who have experienced its exercise, whether (1) a state of "grace," e.g., Rom_5:2; 1Pe_5:12; 2Pe_3:18, or (2) a proof thereof in practical effects, deeds of "grace," e.g., 1Co_16:3, RV, "bounty" (KJV, "liberality"); 2Co_8:6, 2Co_8:19 (in 2Co_9:8 it means the sum of earthly blessings); the power and equipment for ministry, e.g., Rom_1:5; Rom_12:6; Rom_15:15; 1Co_3:10; Gal_2:9; Eph_3:2, Eph_3:7.

To be in favor with is to find "grace" with, e.g., Act_2:47; hence it appears in this sense at the beginning and the end of several epistles, where the writer desires "grace" from God for the readers, e.g., Rom_1:7; 1Co_1:3; in this respect it is connected with the imperative mood of the word chairo, "to rejoice," a mode of greeting among Greeks, e.g., Act_15:23; Jam_1:1 (marg.); 2Jo_1:10, 2Jo_1:11, RV, "greeting" (KJV, "God speed").

The fact that "grace" is received both from God the Father, 2Co_1:12, and from Christ, Gal_1:6; Rom_5:15 (where both are mentioned), is a testimony to the deity of Christ. See also 2Th_1:12, where the phrase "according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ" is to be taken with each of the preceding clauses, "in you," "and ye in Him."

In Jam_4:6, "But He giveth more grace" (Greek, "a greater grace," RV, marg.), the statement is to be taken in connection with the preceding verse, which contains two remonstrating, rhetorical questions, "Think ye that the Scripture speaketh in vain?" and "Doth the Spirit (the Holy Spirit) which He made to dwell in us long unto envying?" (see the RV). The implied answer to each is "it cannot be so." Accordingly, if those who are acting so flagrantly, as if it were so, will listen to the Scripture instead of letting it speak in vain, and will act so that the Holy Spirit may have His way within, God will give even "a greater grace," namely, all that follows from humbleness and from turning away from the world. See BENEFIT, BOUNTY, LIBERALITY, THANK.

Note: The corresponding verb charitoo, "to endue with divine favor or grace," is used in Luk_1:28, "highly favored" (marg., "endued with grace") and Eph_1:6, KJV, "hath made... accepted"; RV, "freely bestowed" (marg., "endued.").
2. euprepeia (G2143), "comeliness, goodly appearance," is said of the outward appearance of the flower of the grass, Jam_1:11.

Diolectic
Sep 18th 2009, 08:01 PM
Many say that grace means unmerited favor. Some say it means an empowerment such as the grace not to sin. What do the Biblical Scholors say. I don't want your opinions or what grace means to you. I want the definition in Greek translated to English please.:confusedCharis: benefit, kindness, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thanks.

If it means an empowerment such as the grace not to sin, then the word would be an empowerment word such as "dunamis", doo-nat-os', exousia, kratos...etc...

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 18th 2009, 08:40 PM
You'll find different Bible Scholars with different ideas of what Grace is... the Greek was represented in the previous posts quite well..

the Scripture declares...

..for the Grace of God , that bringeth Salvation , hath appeared to all men

Can I ask you a question.. is Grace 'just' a mere definition? a theolgoical statement that best describes what it is?

or Is Grace Living Today?

the answer is in the above Scripture...

that was written under the Inspiriation of the Holy Ghost .. found in the book of Titus...

It's Grace that Saves you...It's Grace that Keeps you.. Its' Grace that will give you that Resurrected Body when He returns....

Its Grace that kept me from dying in two suicide attempts, numerous car accidents, a near drowning accident when I was but a young child....

Its by Grace that I'm still alive today and not a 'statistic'.. on somebodies college paper they wrote about suicides, drownings, or car accidents.....

Diolectic
Sep 18th 2009, 09:26 PM
You'll find different Bible Scholars with different ideas of what Grace is... the Greek was represented in the previous posts quite well..

Can I ask you a question.. is Grace 'just' a mere definition? a theolgoical statement that best describes what it is?Yes.

or Is Grace Living Today?Yes

It's Grace that Saves you...By grace (god's kindess) through faith.

It's Grace that Keeps you..We are kept through faith.

1Peter 1:5 Who are, by the power of God, kept through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
The "power" by which we are "kept through faith" is that same power which HE performed in Christ, when he raised Him from the dead, and set Him at His own right hand in the heavenly places far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age, but also in that which is to come (Eph 1:20-21) ...which also has raised us up together (with Him Rom 6:5-8), and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

Its' Grace that will give you that Resurrected Body when He returns....This would be the "power" of which I just mentioned

Its Grace that kept me from dying in two suicide attempts, numerous car accidents, a near drowning accident when I was but a young child.....

Its by Grace that I'm still alive today and not a 'statistic'.. on somebodies college paper they wrote about suicides, drownings, or car accidents.....I would say that is God's mercy.

However, I don't know how to seperate grace from mercy &/or vise verse.
I need God's mercy for Him to give me grace; and it is His grace that He has mercy.

ZAB
Sep 18th 2009, 10:49 PM
... We are kept through faith.

1Peter 1:5 Who are, by the power of God, kept through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

We have FAITH that God is GRACEFULLY enabling and keeping us (Phil 2:13; Heb 13:21).

Z.

Steven3
Sep 19th 2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Arcadia
Many say that grace means unmerited favor. Some say it means an empowerment such as the grace not to sin. What do the Biblical Scholors say. I don't want your opinions or what grace means to you. I want the definition in Greek translated to English please.:confusedThis is from the LSJ lexicon of classical Greek. Some care has to be taken with classical lexicons because
1. They start with Attic readings, 400BC, then get to Hellenistic readings, NT times. Sometimes the meaning of words has changed.
2. Sometimes Hellenistic Jewish documents like the NT have particular Jewish reference points (typically from the Greek OT c300BC)

But in this case "grace" is a very common standard Greek word. It basically just means 'favour', 'kindness', typically shown by a king to a subject, and so on.

http://old.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D %23113389

Sirus
Sep 19th 2009, 12:48 AM
Webster's
unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification

Steven3
Sep 19th 2009, 12:54 AM
Many say that grace means unmerited favor. Some say it means an empowerment such as the grace not to sin. What do the Biblical Scholors say. I don't want your opinions or what grace means to you. I want the definition in Greek translated to English please.:confused

This is from the middle school version of the big LSJ above, it's a lot easier to read:

charis 1 [chair] Grace, Latin gratia:

I. outward grace or favour (as we say well or ill favoured), grace, loveliness, Homer, etc.; tige charin katecheuat' Athn over him Athena shed grace, Odyssey; of persons, pl. graces, charms, id=Odyssey., etc.:--more rarely of things, ergoisi charin kai kudos opazein id=Od.; h tn logn ch. Demosthes.

II. grace or favour felt, whether on the part of the Doer or the Receiver:

1. on the part of the Doer, grace, graciousness, kindness, goodwill, tinos for or towards one, Hesiod, Thucylides, etc.

2. on the part of the Receiver, the sense of favour received, thankfulness, thanks, gratitude, Illiad; tinos for a thing, oude tis esti charis metopisth' euergen Odyessy; c. inf., ou tis charis en marnasthai one has no thanks for fighting, Il.; charin eidenai tini to acknowledge a sense of favour, feel grateful, id=Illiad, Herodotus., attic:-- ch. echein tini tinos to feel gratitude to one for a thing, Herodotus., attic; ch. opheilein to owe gratitude, be beholden, Sophocles.; charin katatithesthai tini to lay up a store of gratitude with a person, i. e. earn his thanks, Herodotus., etc.; charin lambanein tinos to receive thanks from one, Sophocles.; so, ktasthai charin id=Sophocles; ch. komisasthai Thucylides.

3. favour, influence, as opp. to force, chariti pleion phobi id=Thuc.

III. a favour done or returned, a grace, kindness, boon, charin pherein tini to confer a favour on one, to please him, do a thing to oblige him, Homr; charin thesthai tini Herodotus., Attic; so, charin hupourgein tini Aeschylus.; paraschein Sophocles.; nemein id=Sophocles.; dounai Aeschylus.:-- charin tinein to return a favour, id=Aesch.; antididonai Thuc.; apodidonai Plat.: --charin aposterein to withhold a return for what one has received, Plat.

IV. a gratification, delight, tinos in or from a thing, Pindar, Euripides, etc.

V. homage , daimonn charis homage due to the gods, their worship, majesty, Aeschylus.; so, horkn ch. Euripides; euktaia ch. an offering in consequence of a vow, Aeschylus.

VI. Special usages:

1. in accusative singular (charin) + genitive as an adverb,
charin tinos - in any one's favour, for his pleasure, for his sake, charin Hektoros Il.; glsss charin for one's tongue's pleasure, i. e. for talking's sake, Hesiod:--then much like a preposition, (compare Latin gratia, causa, for the sake of, on account of) tou charin; for what reason? Aristotle; so, emn charin, sn charin for my, thy pleasure or sake (compare Latin mea, tua gratia), Aeschylus., Euripides:
--also, charin tinos as far as regards, as to, epous smikrou ch. Sophocles.

2. with Prepositions.,
in -- eis charin tinos to do one a pleasure, Thuc.; ouden eis ch. prassein Sophocles.:
for -- pros charin prassein ti id=Sophocles.; pros charin legein Euripides., etc.; pros charin boras for the sake of my flesh, for the pleasure of devouring it, Sophocles:-- pros charin alone, as a favour, freely, to their heart's content, id=Sophocles.:
by -- en chariti for one's gratification, pleasure, en chariti didonai or poiein tini ti Xenophon., Plato.:
through -- dia charitn einai or gignesthai tini to be on terms of friendship or mutual favour with one, Xenophon.

B. woman's name, Charis, itos, h, as a mythological pr. n., Charis, wife of Hephaestus, Illiad.

2. The Graces. mostly in plural. Charites, hai, the Charites or Graces, (Latin Gratiae), who confer all grace, even the favour of Victory in the games, Pindar.:--in Homer their number is undefined; Hesiod first reduced them to three, Aglaia, Euphrosyne, Thalia.

Clearly the first is what it means. (see any dictionary, classical or NT-only)

Whether grace "empowers" not to sin is a theological question that would need a NT verse (or better, several verses) saying that is so.

crossnote
Sep 19th 2009, 04:32 AM

It's too bad, but we learn of what grace is as we learn of Christ Jesus. They say grace is getting what we don't deserve and this is most certainly true as when God gave His Son (getting what we don't desrve).

And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
(Joh 1:16-17)

Here is further elaboration on Moses/ Christ and law/grace.

And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
(2Co 3:13-18)

I could cut and paste a ten page definition on the word 'grace' from Kittel's ten volume work...but really now.

arcadia
Sep 19th 2009, 09:01 AM

Can I ask you a question.. is Grace 'just' a mere definition? a theolgoical statement that best describes what it is?

or Is Grace Living Today?

the answer is in the above Scripture...

that was written under the Inspiriation of the Holy Ghost .. found in the book of Titus...

It's Grace that Saves you...It's Grace that Keeps you.. Its' Grace that will give you that Resurrected Body when He returns....

Its Grace that kept me from dying in two suicide attempts, numerous car accidents, a near drowning accident when I was but a young child....

Its by Grace that I'm still alive today and not a 'statistic'.. on somebodies college paper they wrote about suicides, drownings, or car accidents.....
If the words power of God were substituted with Grace they sentences would still make sense.

arcadia
Sep 19th 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone. i am still studying your replies.

ivorylamp
Sep 19th 2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah I am learning too. Grace is Jesus Christ to me. He was God's Grace to us mankind who do not deserve to be saved, but He, the Lord Jesus, is that ultimate Grace when He shed His blood for us, sinners, that we may be shown mercy and be taken under His Wings of Love for eternity.

Isn't that wonderful GRACE? O perfect Love...

Lord Jesus, I love you always! You're my passion, Saviour!

DocGrace
Sep 19th 2009, 02:52 PM

As you can now see from the responses, the answer is many-faceted. There are many "applications" for the biblical meaning of "grace".

However, if you would allow me the opportunity to distill it all down for a practical understanding - simply stated - grace is God showing loving favor towards someone who has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to deserve it. That is WHAT it is.

What it DOES is empowers us to fulfill God's will for our lives. Philippians 2:13

BLESSINGS,

Doc
Psalm 115:1

blessedmommyuv3
Sep 19th 2009, 05:45 PM
Gods
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 19th 2009, 10:36 PM
If the words power of God were substituted with Grace they sentences would still make sense.

Thats True... but Who is the Source of the Power of God???

Grace is Alive Today...

Grace is found in a Person.. the Person of Jesus the Christ...

this is what where the Rubber meets the roadtop...

many have a 'theological' explanation.. a 'definition' of what Grace 'is'.....

but do you 'KNOW' Grace.. the Grace that is in your lives...

unfortunately many will stand before Him at the end and plead with Him..

I did all these things in your name...

but He will Say... I never "KNEW" you....

Lots of Good Responses here.. and I hope you learn more about the Grace of God that has appeared unto all men.. not only a 'theological definition laid down by biblical scholars.... but that you would intimately 'know' the Grace of God that has Appeared unto all men....

arcadia
Sep 20th 2009, 09:34 PM
Thats True... but Who is the Source of the Power of God???

Grace is Alive Today...

Grace is found in a Person.. the Person of Jesus the Christ...

this is what where the Rubber meets the roadtop...

many have a 'theological' explanation.. a 'definition' of what Grace 'is'.....

but do you 'KNOW' Grace.. the Grace that is in your lives...

unfortunately many will stand before Him at the end and plead with Him..

I did all these things in your name...

but He will Say... I never "KNEW" you....

Lots of Good Responses here.. and I hope you learn more about the Grace of God that has appeared unto all men.. not only a 'theological definition laid down by biblical scholars.... but that you would intimately 'know' the Grace of God that has Appeared unto all men....

Very true words. I pray that I would know Him more. I really want to know him much more. Can anyone say "I know Him enough and that's good enough for me"?

Bing
Sep 22nd 2009, 03:32 PM
Clearly the first is what it means. (see any dictionary, classical or NT-only)

Whether grace "empowers" not to sin is a theological question that would need a NT verse (or better, several verses) saying that is so.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ

Titus 2:11-13

I would suggest that these verses supports both readings of the word, that it is the freedom of salvation, and that it gives us the strength in Christ to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives as we are being sanctified.

For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Jude 4

I would suggest that this verse strongly implies both readings of the word, that it is an unmerited gift given to humanity, and that it teaches or strengthens us against sin.

doppelganger
Sep 22nd 2009, 07:26 PM
The Greek meaning has been discussed. Here are some thoughts on NT usage:

In 1 Cor. 15:10 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?go=Go&q=1+Cor.+15%3A10), Paul makes it clear that grace doesnt just free us from the past, it is the enabling power behind our new creation. Grace has an effect. It makes us into something we couldnt be without grace. In 2 Cor. 9:8 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?go=Go&q=2+Cor.+9%3A8), Paul reminds us that the power to do good works is a result of grace. Grace isnt just an idea or an emotion. It has legs. It does stuff in our lives. As Hebrews 4:16 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?go=Go&q=Hebrews+4%3A16) says, grace helps us. It is by grace that we saved (Eph 2:8 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?go=Go&q=Eph+2%3A8)).

for more thoughts on grace see http://blog.sloppyedwards.com/tag/grace/

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 22nd 2009, 10:28 PM
Very true words. I pray that I would know Him more. I really want to know him much more. Can anyone say "I know Him enough and that's good enough for me"?

We can 'know' Him.. that word in the Greek means to perceive, have understanding..... 'knowing' Him and seeing His Hand Work in our daily lives.. we percieve this by the Holy Ghost that teaches us and leads us...
Paul's desire was to 'know' Him more and Him Crucified.. I would have to say that is my desire... to 'know' Him.. His Sufferings, the Power of His Resurrection.... being made conformable unto His Death.. the plans He has for me and How He has me depart this planet.. He already 'knows' that.. and when that day comes.. it will .. and how it happens.. I leave that in His Hands.. for I've asked Him to be there when I take my last breathe.. and I know He will... so I can be with Him..

I long for the day when I can depart this planet and see Him face to face.. then I will be Home.. and in His Presense.. To Hear Him.. say.. Welcome Home my child.. Behold what God has prepared for you...

I know and percieve His presence today in my life.. this Daily... It was Him who sought me out and Found me.. and Saved Me.. it was in His Plans.. and He lets me 'know' Today.. He loved Me first.. and for that I'm just amazed...

I guess thats why they call it Amazing Love.. that bloody Tree and He who Gave it all on it..

I don't think we can never stop knowing HIm.. and say I 'know' Him and thats enough for me.. that 'desire' to know HIm.. is there ...When We see Him face to Face.. then we shall see Him.. and 'know' for Sure It is Him.. but even then.. I still want to 'know' more.. of Him.. and about Heaven...

I don't think the human mind could grasp and it could even be written on paper..all the things God has prepared for those who Love Him.. these who Worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.. this the circumcision of the Heart.. done with the Spirit and not the letter..

His Own.. He has Created , His Elect, so that they will 'know' Him and Worship Him... this done in Spirit and in Truth...