PDA

View Full Version : Does Jesus have favorites?

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 01:31 PM
This may sound like an odd question. Yesterday I was listening to a song called "Favorite One". On it, the artist sings, "Jesus, here I am your favorite one..." That got me thinking. I turned to a commentary by Spurgeon, and to my surprise, he seemed to believe it's true!

The Scripture he was referring to was Jn 13:23 "Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved."

Here is a portion of the commentary by Spurgeon:

"Some disciples are specially loved of their Lord. We believe in the doctrine of election, but the principle of election goes to be carried further than some suppose. There is an election in the midst of an election, and another within that. The wider circle contains the inner, and a still more select circlet forms the innermost ring of all... it strikes me that our Lord Jesus loved John in some measure more than the rest... He loved Martha too; but still there was a special place for Mary. Jesus has still His Johns, whom He peculiarly loves. He loves Peter and Nicodemus, and Nathanael, and all of them; but still there are some who know His love more than others, live in it more than others, drink into it more than others, reflect it more than others, and become more conformed to it, and saturated with it, and perfumed with it, than others are. There are first as well as last. All may be of Israel, but all the tribes are not Judah, and in Judah all the men are not Davids..." (pp. 499-500).

Spurgeon, C.H. (1988 reprint). The Treasury of the Bible (Vol. 6). Baker Book House.

So what do you think? Does Jesus have favorites?

God bless,

Z.

RabbiKnife
Sep 23rd 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes.

Peter, Jame and John were his three best friends. John was his best friend. I don't think that has changed. Peter sure recognized it post-resurrection, and got taken to the principal's office for whining about it.

Nothing wrong with Jesus having favorites.

Firefighter
Sep 23rd 2009, 01:50 PM
Yes. Jesus has favorites, and I am it!!:pp

penofareadywriter
Sep 23rd 2009, 01:59 PM
This may sound like an odd question. Yesterday I was listening to a song called "Favorite One". On it, the artist sings, "Jesus, here I am your favorite one..." That got me thinking. I turned to a commentary by Spurgeon, and to my surprise, he seemed to believe it's true!

The Scripture he was referring to was Jn 13:23 "Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved."

"Some disciples are specially loved of their Lord. We believe in the doctrine of election, but the principle of election goes to be carried further than some suppose. There is an election in the midst of an election, and another within that. The wider circle contains the inner, and a still more select circlet forms the innermost ring of all... it strikes me that our Lord Jesus loved John in some measure more than the rest... He loved Martha too; but still there was a special place for Mary. Jesus has still His Johns, whom He peculiarly loves. He loves Peter and Nicodemus, and Nathanael, and all of them; but still there are some who know His love more than others, live in it more than others, drink into it more than others, reflect it more than others, and become more conformed to it, and saturated with it, and perfumed with it, than others are. There are first as well as last. All may be of Israel, but all the tribes are not Judah, and in Judah all the men are not Davids..." (pp. 499-500).

Spurgeon, C.H. (1988 reprint). The Treasury of the Bible (Vol. 6). Baker Book House.

God bless,

Z.

I don't believe He does. Gal 2:6 "God shows personal favoritism to no man"
We ALL are "accepted in the Beloved." Eph 1

We are unique and touch Gods heart in unique ways.... but I believe we can become as intimate with God as we want to be.
James 4: 8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."

RabbiKnife
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:07 PM
Galatians is only talking about the free offer of salvation to all. He doesn't play favorites on that account.

But Jesus certainly had favorites among the disciples. UrbanMissionary is his favorite burned out, disabled, decrepit, curmugeonly IT/Geek/Ranger/sniper/firefighterchaplain/TarHeel. Sort of like having a Heinz 57 mutt that sleeps under the porch.:D

Jesus loves each of us uniquely as each of us are unique, but yes, Jesus has favorites.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:16 PM
I don't believe He does. Gal 2:6 "God shows personal favoritism to no man"
We ALL are "accepted in the Beloved." Eph 1

We are unique and touch Gods heart in unique ways.... but I believe we can become as intimate with God as we want to be.
James 4: 8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."

You seem to contradict yourself here. First you say that Jesus doesn't have favorites, but then you say that we can be as intimate with God as we want to be. So, by your speech, you seem to say there are those who are especially close to God, and those who are not as close. Could you clarify for me a bit?

I have to agree with Rabbiknife on this one. Galatians is speaking of justification. In fact, Paul was refuting those of high reputation who thought the Gospel was only for the "favored" or those who "seemed to be somewhat..." (Gal 2:6a). However, among the justified, Jesus seemed to have his select few. He only took a few up the mountain of transfiguration (Matt 17). I wonder if it's the same today?

Z.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:29 PM

God bless,

Z.

No. But he has intimates! One can be as intimate with Jesus as one wants to be.

When he was a man, I do believe that like men, he had best friends. But as God, he treats us all differently but we can be as intimate with Him as we wish to be. Will he have us cut in two or will he deliver us? I don't know. But one can be as close to God as one wishes.

RabbiKnife
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:31 PM

When he was a man, I do believe that like men, he had best friends. But as God, he treats us all differently but we can be as intimate with Him as we wish to be. Will he have us cut in two or will he deliver us? I don't know. But one can be as close to God as one wishes.

Not to parse it too thinly, but Jesus is still a man. And still God.

;)

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:34 PM

I see what you mean. Thanks for your input. Just one question though... whose to say that Jesus (as God) cannot have favorites? Is peculiar closeness to someone solely a human emotion? Doesn't God have emotions?

Z.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:36 PM
Not to parse it too thinly, but Jesus is still a man. And still God.

;)

No problem RK. Like you though, I see that Jesus had a three best friends when he was on the earth. Then after that he had the 9, then the 70 and then the multitudes.

But I also see how God desires to be as close with anyone as they will be to Him. He offers us all we need concerning godliness if we'll but take it. He's no respecter of persons. But he is certainly not fair! And if by favorites, people mean is he more fair to some than others, then sure. But if by favorites do they mean he loves one more than another, then no. I suppose the question then becomes what do we mean by favorite.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 02:37 PM
I see what you mean. Thanks for your input. Just one question though... whose to say that Jesus (as God) cannot have favorites? Is peculiar closeness to someone solely a human emotion? Doesn't God have emotions?

Z.

Yes. He does have emotions. He considered Abraham his friend and would not hide what he was doing from Abraham. I think the same is true today. But the question is, can any of us get to that level of friendship with God? I believe we can.

penofareadywriter
Sep 23rd 2009, 03:28 PM
Websters def. of Favorite: a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority

I just don't think its a good idea to use this word. There are better ways of describing the way God relates with His people. Its obviously a touchy word to use....other wise....we wouldn't be having this discussion.

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 23rd 2009, 03:31 PM

God bless,

Z.

I 'know' He does... Each one of His Children is unique in His Eyes.. not made or created to be religious robots..

but created to 'know' Him... and to Worship Him in Spirit AND in Truth.....

He does have Favorites

are these Favorites His Elect? one would have to do a word Study on the word elect: election... and trace that back to the root word or words..

I truly Believe His Elect are His Favorites...

some will disagree with this...but that will happen and I expect it to happen..

Election has to do with:

God Choosing His Own.. not man 'choosing' out of his own will power.. this from his own desire and capability to come to God on his/her own.. as some preach and teach..

I don't want to derail this thread into an 'election' thread..

but to answer the OP's Question..

Yes I do believe He has Favorites...

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 03:59 PM
Websters def. of Favorite: a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority

I just don't think its a good idea to use this word. There are better ways of describing the way God relates with His people. Its obviously a touchy word to use....other wise....we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I can imagine this would be offensive only to those who do not press into love Jesus more. Furthermore, it probably exposes them for what they are not, and the reason why they are not like John, the beloved. That realization, of course, would be painful, and would be translated as "offense". However, to him who is seeking God as he should (like a deer panting after the water brooks - Ps 42:1), there is no offense in these principles.

Z.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 04:08 PM
I can imagine this would only be offensive only to those who do not press into love Jesus more. Furthermore, it probably exposes them for what they are not, and the reason why they are not like John, the beloved. That realization, of course, would be painful, and would be translated as "offense". However, to him who is seeking God as he should (like a deer panting after the water brooks - Ps 42:1), there is no offense in these principles.

Z.

John recognized the love Jesus had for Him. That's why he called himself the one whom Jesus loved. Jesus love for me was just as zealous.

But I will go back to that God is more intimate with some than he is with others. He considered Abraham his friend. But many of us lack when it comes to being a friend to God. So why should God be so intimate with us? Would he if we qualified? I think so. Why? Because his word tells us that he has given us all we need concerning Godliness and that if we loved Him, he would disclose Himself to us.

So in other words, he doesn't have a favorite status that is forbidden for some to reach. Is he a respecter of person in that he shows favoritism on the level that Jacob showed Joseph? No. But will he be more open and more intimate with some? You bet He will. Some will his friend but not all.

God doesn't have favorites. But he does have intimates. Nor is he "fair" in his dealings with us. (Thank God for that.) Nor is he a respecter of persons. But he will absolutely reveal things to one that he won't to another. Lot didn't get the warning that Abraham did. But God still saved Lot even though the intimacy wasn't there. He didn't love Abraham more than he loved Lot. But he was more intimate with him.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 04:26 PM
John recognized the love Jesus had for Him. That's why he called himself the one whom Jesus loved. Jesus love for me was just as zealous.

But I will go back to that God is more intimate with some than he is with others. He considered Abraham his friend. But many of us lack when it comes to being a friend to God. So why should God be so intimate with us? Would he if we qualified? I think so. Why? Because his word tells us that he has given us all we need concerning Godliness and that if we loved Him, he would disclose Himself to us.

So in other words, he doesn't have a favorite status that is forbidden for some to reach. Is he a respecter of person in that he shows favoritism on the level that Jacob showed Joseph? No. But will he be more open and more intimate with some? You bet He will. Some will his friend but not all.

God doesn't have favorites. But he does have intimates. Nor is he "fair" in his dealings with us. (Thank God for that.) Nor is he a respecter of persons. But he will absolutely reveal things to one that he won't to another. Lot didn't get the warning that Abraham did. But God still saved Lot even though the intimacy wasn't there. He didn't love Abraham more than he loved Lot. But he was more intimate with him.

Amen. It could be said that Abraham knew God better than Lot and others did. Similarly how it was said of Moses. Moses knew God's ways, but the Israelites knew His acts only (Ps 103:7). That's very sobering. Also, in the NT, the disciples were initiated into the mysteries of God while the multitudes received truth veiled by parables. IMO, this is what the apostle Paul sought for too in Phil 3:10. With great intimacy comes great knowledge and knowing. And with great knowledge comes great responsibility. To whom much is given, much is required. It's interesting that John (the beloved) was the one who received the Revelation of Jesus Christ on the isle of Patmos.

Z.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 04:33 PM
Amen. It could be said that Abraham knew God better than Lot and others did. Similarly how it was said of Moses. Moses knew God's ways, but the Israelites knew His acts only (Ps 103:7). That's very sobering. Also, in the NT, the disciples were initiated into the mysteries of God while the multitudes received truth veiled by parables. IMO, this is what the apostle Paul sought for too in Phil 3:10. With great intimacy comes great knowledge and knowing. And with great knowledge comes great responsibility. To whom much is given, much is required. It's interesting that John (the beloved) was the one who received the Revelation of Jesus Christ on the isle of Patmos.

Z.

Of course. IMO, it is no accident that John got revelation of heaven and he was the only one of the 12 at the foot of the cross. It was in knowing God's great love for him that he loved God. Is that not what it says in First John? We love Him because he loved us.

For those that wish to know God, he will explain the parables. For those that don't, they get everything in parables. He is intimate with few but loves all.

markedward
Sep 23rd 2009, 05:05 PM
"Wanna know who my favorite follower is?"

(Jesus holds up a mirror to your face.)

"It's me?! Yeah! No one else look in this mirror!"

"Every follower is my favorite follower!"

Jesus definitely had a closer relationship with Peter, and James and John (the sons of Zebedee), but it doesn't necessarily mean they were his "favorites". It just meant the three of them had a better understanding of him, compared to the other Twelve. The three of these men were zealous for Christ, were from his home region, and were devout Jews. On the other hand, we have "doubting Thomas", former tax collector Matthew, Simon (who was other a member of the Zealots, or he was a Canaanite; either way), and on down to Judas Iscariot.

So I wouldn't call those three Jesus' "favorites"... merely his closest friends.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 05:08 PM
"Wanna know who my favorite follower is?"

(Jesus holds up a mirror to your face.)

"It's me?! Yeah! No one else look in this mirror!"

"Every follower is my favorite follower!"

Jesus definitely had a closer relationship with Peter, and James and John (the sons of Zebedee), but it doesn't necessarily mean they were his "favorites". It just meant the three of them had a better understanding of him, compared to the other Twelve. The three of these men were zealous for Christ, were from his home region, and were devout Jews. On the other hand, we have "doubting Thomas", former tax collector Matthew, Simon (who was other a member of the Zealots, or he was a Canaanite; either way), and on down to Judas Iscariot.

So I wouldn't call those three Jesus' "favorites"... merely his closest friends.

Is this "closeness" limited to Jesus' earthly ministry as a man, or does it translate to today as well?

Z.

Brother Mark
Sep 23rd 2009, 05:17 PM
Is this "closeness" limited to Jesus' earthly ministry as a man, or does it translate to today as well?

Z.

Abraham was closer to God than Lot. And Moses knew the ways of God while Israel only knew his acts. So we see there were differences before and after Christ, IMO. Paul had intimacy with Christ and didn't walk with Him while he was on the earth.

Thing is, God delivered some and others were cut in two. Who got the greater reward? Was it John the Baptist who died in prison or the people whom Jesus healed while preaching on JTB? Jesus does not treat us all the same but we all have opportunity to be intimate with him.

Who was more personal with God, Anna who prayed constantly and knew of the coming of Christ or the chief priest whom everyone saw? The list could go on and on.

My personal favorite is the little slave girl that was captured by Naaman. Jesus tells us that no one in Namaan's day was healed of leprosy except for Namaan. Yet, this little girl knew God would heal him if he saw the prophet. How did she know such a thing? God must have told her for she had great faith. Yet, we never learn her name. Was she a favorite of God's over the king of Israel or even Elisha? She knew of the miracle that God was to perform before Elisha did, as far as I can tell. What intimacy with God this little girl had! Yet, she was a slave. Elisha lived as a prophet. Doesn't seem fair but she was intimate with God.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 05:22 PM
Abraham was closer to God than Lot. And Moses knew the ways of God while Israel only knew his acts. So we see there were differences before and after Christ, IMO. Paul had intimacy with Christ and didn't walk with Him while he was on the earth.

Thing is, God delivered some and others were cut in two. Who got the greater reward? Was it John the Baptist who died in prison or the people whom Jesus healed while preaching on JTB? Jesus does not treat us all the same but we all have opportunity to be intimate with him.

Who was more personal with God, Anna who prayed constantly and knew of the coming of Christ or the chief priest whom everyone saw? The list could go on and on.

My personal favorite is the little slave girl that was captured by Naaman. Jesus tells us that no one in Namaan's day was healed of leprosy except for Namaan. Yet, this little girl knew God would heal him if he saw the prophet. How did she know such a thing? God must have told her for she had great faith. Yet, we never learn her name. Was she a favorite of God's over the king of Israel or even Elisha? She knew of the miracle that God was to perform before Elisha did, as far as I can tell. What intimacy with God this little girl had! Yet, she was a slave. Elisha lived as a prophet. Doesn't seem fair but she was intimate with God.

Very good points, thank you :)

Z.

notuptome
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:03 PM
As a man Jesus could have shown favoritism toward certain persons. God has clearly chosen Israel as a special people for His purposes from among all the peoples of the world. Does this place all others at a distinct disadvantage?

Jesus clearly preached that whosoever will may come. The offer of salvation is open to all men. John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Could it be that Jesus used favoritism to a select group to forward the ideal of universal blessing to all men?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

The Mighty Sword
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:12 PM
Since Christ died for the world, we are all his favorites, that's why he sent The Holy Spirit.

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:16-17

But I do believe he shows favor to a particular person or person(s).

Joel Osteen for example, that guy has favor.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:24 PM
Could it be that Jesus used favoritism to a select group to forward the ideal of universal blessing to all men?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I'm not sure what you mean...

Are you saying God exalted a select few men to display His affections for all mankind?

Z.

ZAB
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:27 PM
Since Christ died for the world, we are all his favorites, that's why he sent The Holy Spirit.

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:16-17

But I do believe he shows favor to a particular person or person(s).

Joel Osteen for example, that guy has favor.

But this is not a proper use of the word "favorite". The very word implies that some are loved peculiarly (refer to the OP).

Jesus died for the multitudes, yet showed favoritism to the 70, then to the 12, then more to the 3, and the most to the 1, John the beloved. What do you think this implies?

Z.

notuptome
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure what you mean...

Are you saying God exalted a select few men to display His affections for all mankind?

Z.
God used Israel to bring His promised Messiah into the world. God used a select group of men to proclaim the gospel to whole world. These are indeed special gifts from God to us.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

theBelovedDisciple
Sep 23rd 2009, 06:59 PM
The men Jesus 'chose' were given to Him by the Father.. you can go and read about that when He Prayed prior to His betrayal... He 'kept' them all.. except the one, Judas, so that the Scripture may be fulfilled.. Judas the son of Perdition.. betraying the Son of Man with a kiss.. he was lost.

Everyone that is Truely Saved from Above... that person is Given to Jesus by the Father... Its His Foreknowledge and His Plan that that soul should be saved... God Chooses... He Draws... He Converts... and He Saves.....

this is where you run into the problem with teaching that teaches that man comes to God on His Own...

the Scripture says otherwise... God Chooses... and the merits of it belong to Him alone...

man tries his hardest to change that.. to twist it.. to usurp it... but His Word Stands...

He has Elect.. and His Favorites...

this from my personal standpoint.. prior to Jesus Saving Me in 1994... there were numerous times I should of died... after He Saved me.. it was made 'known' to me.. that many times prior to the Day of Salvation in my life.. satan himself had petitioned God for my soul, wanting to destroy me... he had really every right to take my soul .. destroying me before 1994... but Jesus told Him 'NO'... Leave him alone.. for He belongs to Me... this even before I 'knew' Him.. there was a suicide attempt, car accidents, a near drowning accident as a small child.. Jesus Truly Holds the keys to death and hell.. He controls it..

I ask you...Why did God show favour to me.. even prior to Him Saving me? keeping the devourer at a distance.. and stopping him even after he was told not to mess with me???

what had I done to deserve that? I will tell you.. NOTHING...

Why did Jesus show favortism... towards me? Its because He chooses.. and He 'knows'... it's according to His Eternal Plan.. which has been in place even before the foundation of the world...

I have seen young people die tragically in car accidents.. these dieing without Christ.. lost for eternity.. I have seen people drown in drowning accidents.. these lost.. without Christ.. and lost for Eternity... I have had relatives who have committed suicide.. these without Christ.. lost for eternity....

Why did He choose to show favoritism to me? I don't have a rational answer for that.. but all I can tell you is that what happened to me.. and why He Saved me is according to His plan and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt.. that His Word is True. and it does not change...

for this reason I'm thankful today.. and His Word tells us..

We love Him.. because He first Loved us... and this is True...

and today I know it was nothing I had done to deserve what He did for me.. and for this cause I Love Him today.. because He first Loved me... I worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.. and I'm so thankful for what He has done... and He 'knows' that Today...

he that hath ears let him hear..