PDA

View Full Version : Ezekiel 28 "Prince of Tyre" vs "King of Tyre"

Steven3
Sep 28th 2009, 06:43 AM
This chapter came up recently, in a different context, but didn't resolve the original historical question - why is the prophecy in Ezekiel 28 split into three sections vs. "the Prince of Tyre" (1-10), "the King of Tyre" (11-19) and "Sidon" (20-23)? ...and what's the difference between the Prince and the King?

Ezek.28:1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 ôSon of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God:

28:11 Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me: 12 ôSon of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord God:

28:20 The word of the Lord came to me: 21 ôSon of man, set your face toward Sidon, and prophesy against her 22 and say, Thus says the Lord God:

For background info: Ezekiel 26:2 records Tyre's pride when Jerusalem fell to Nebuchadnezzar in 586BC, but according to Josephus (and confirmed by Babyloian records) Tyre failed to submit to Nebuchadnezzar (Against Apion 1.156, Antiquities 10.228). Josephus records that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre for 13 years (585-572BC) and this is confirmed by Ezekiel (29:17) along with Babylon's raiding sorties against Egypt (29:19). Ultimately the Tyre royal family ended up prisoners in Babylon along with the royal family of Judah whom they had mocked. A nominal Tyre puppet-king could rule in Tyre, as Nebuchadnezzar had permitted in Jerusalem, but real power was with the Babylonian governor. Josephus indicates that the royal family of Tyre had some advantages compared to that of Judah. For example they could bring the prince from Babylon (Against Apion 1.156-159). Finally Tyre's special status was totally removed when the Persians took over from the Babylonians.

So why "Prince" and "King"?

Nihil Obstat
Sep 28th 2009, 02:19 PM
So are you suggesting that the king of Tyre might be Nebuchadnezzar? I'm not sure that I'm following you...

markedward
Sep 28th 2009, 06:59 PM
So why "Prince" and "King"?It depends on your translation.. the Hebrew word for "prince" can also be translated as simply "ruler".

Steven3
Sep 29th 2009, 02:11 AM
Hi Mark Edward
It depends on your translation.. the Hebrew word for "prince" can also be translated as simply "ruler".Yes it is possible I suppose that the King (melek) and governor (nagiyd (http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H5057&t=KJV)) are the same since Solomon is appointed to both jobs in 1Ch29:22, it's more the differences between the two prophecies suggesting to me that the governor/prince and king are different.

Hi astrongerthanhe
No I wasn't suggesting that the "king of Tyre" might be Nebuchadnezzar. Since it is Babylon bringing punishment on Tyre.

Bible2
Sep 29th 2009, 02:51 AM
So why "Prince" and "King"?

If Ezekiel 28:2 has application to future events because of its similarity to the unfulfilled 2 Thessalonians 2:4, then the prince of Tyre could be the future personage commonly called the Antichrist. If that is the case, then the king of Tyre (Ezekiel 28:12) could be the devil (the dragon), who will empower the Antichrist (the beast) (Revelation 13:4, 2 Thessalonians 2:9). The devil, before his fall and the fall of man, could have been placed as a "covering cherub" over Eden (Ezekiel 28:13-15).

There is a curious correlation between the prince and king of Tyre on the one hand and the use of the name "Hiram" in the secret, mystical teachings of a powerful, worldwide secret society which may be Gnostic Luciferian at its highest degree of initiation. For "Hiram" was the name of the human king of Tyre at the time of the building of King Solomon's temple (1 Kings 5). Also, "Hiram" was the name of another person from Tyre, the human master workman who helped Solomon build the temple (1 Kings 7:13).

If the king and prince of Tyre are the devil and the Antichrist, then the name "Hiram" would be a perfect codename for both of them, a name by which their identity within the Gnostic Luciferian teachings of the secret society could be kept secret from all but its highest initiates. Just as the human workman named Hiram built a temple to God in which all the world was to worship (1 Kings 8:41-43), so the Antichrist will bring the whole world into the worship of Lucifer (the dragon/the devil) (Revelation 13:4).

This could be pictured by the most common symbol for the secret society, in which a tool shaped like an "A" is sometimes shown standing upon the globe, like when the "Antichrist" will rule the globe (Revelation 13:7). Entwined with the "A" and supporting the "A" is another tool shaped like an "L", which could represent "Lucifer". And found within the "L" is the letter "G", which could ultimately stand for "Gnosis", a (false) "knowledge" (cf. 1 Timothy 6:20b) which the secret society thinks can be found in Lucifer. The Antichrist will teach the ancient Gnostic lie that Christ is not come in the flesh (1 John 4:3). The Antichrist could add to this lie the false claim that Lucifer is the Christ, for Lucifer means the morning star (Isaiah 14:12) and Christ is the morning star (Revelation 22:16). The truth is that Lucifer fell from his office of morning star (Isaiah 14:12) and became Satan (cf. Luke 10:18); Jesus has taken over the office of morning star (Revelation 22:16).

So the most common symbol for the secret society could represent its Gnostic Luciferianism being spread over the globe during the reign of the Antichrist, and the secret society's use of the name "Hiram" in its teachings could represent both Lucifer and the Antichrist, who could be the king and the prince of Tyre.

ivorylamp
Sep 29th 2009, 12:16 PM
very interesting post! thanks

Steven3
Sep 30th 2009, 03:42 AM
If Ezekiel 28:2 has application to future events because of its similarity to the unfulfilled 2 Thessalonians 2:4, then the prince of Tyre could be the future personage commonly called the Antichrist. Okay that's an interesting view :). Thanks.

But in the intial context, back in Ezekiel's day, what did it mean to current events then?

vinsight4u8
Oct 2nd 2009, 03:20 AM
I see it as the prince of Tyre can be a king in another location - such as Babylon (Iraq).
under the king of Tyre

"thou art wiser than Daniel"
Nebuchadnezzar quizzed Daniel per chapter 1.

Nebuchadnezzar also understood "secrets".

Ezekiel 28:3
"...there is no secret that they can hide from thee:"
such as the little horn of Daniel 8 will come from the eastern section of the former Greek Empire and understand riddles.

Daniel 2 parts
"God in heaven that revealeth secrets"
"thy thoughts came"

Daniel 4:5 part
"the thoughts upon my bed"
v9 as to Daniel
"....no secret troubleth thee..."