PDA

View Full Version : Serpent = Satan?

ScottWoods
Oct 1st 2009, 09:39 PM
Everyone knows about the story of the Garden of Eden. The serpent decieves Eve so she and Adam eat the forbidden fruit. At what point, though, do we decide that Satan was this serpent? Is there a reference to this in later scripture? Please, cite biblical or scholarly references if you have them.

The Mighty Sword
Oct 1st 2009, 09:45 PM
Reminds me of a verse

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

ZAB
Oct 1st 2009, 09:52 PM
Also...

Rev 20:2 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years..."

Also, he is attributed to the serpent by ungodly character and motive:

Gen 3:13 "And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat."

2 Cor 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

Does Satan strive for our corruption? Yes:

Lk 22:31 "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:"

Therefore, Satan = Serpent

Z.

Steven3
Oct 2nd 2009, 04:57 AM
Hello Scott
Everyone knows about the story of the Garden of Eden. The serpent decieves Eve so she and Adam eat the forbidden fruit. At what point, though, do we decide that Satan was this serpent? Is there a reference to this in later scripture? Please, cite biblical or scholarly references if you have them.

Thanks :)If you want full scholarly references you'll have to go shopping on Amazon, but to simplify things the earliest direct Jewish identification is usually considered to be in this text:

2:23: For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.24: Nevertheless through envy of the devil came death into the world: and they that do hold of his side do find it. (Wisdom of Solomon 1stC BC, from Apocrypha KJV)

And in the NT, this would be the earliest.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

It's partly an issue of genre. If you get straight retelling of Genesis then not surprisingly in Jewish texts of this period Paul's 2Co11:3 "serpent" is typical. But in apocalyptic and prophetic texts you'll get something more like Rev12:9, ...although I can't think of any Jewish text as specific in a trifold identification as Rev12:9, nor one which has the word "old" for the serpent.