PDA

View Full Version : How are we saved?

chad
Oct 7th 2009, 10:19 AM
I have been reading a few verses in the bible regarding how we are saved?

My question is, are we saved by :- Faith, Grace, Mercy, Jesus sacrifice on the Cross, The Blood of Jesus, Belief in Jesus, Belief in Jesus and Baptism or all of the above?

I was just wanting to know your thoughts on this, as the answer i have come to from studying this topic is not as clear as I thought it would be.

Thanks

Chad.

JohnDB
Oct 7th 2009, 10:40 AM
We are saved by the unmerited favor of Jesus' work on the cross through our faith in that work...

In other words....because we believe that Jesus was God's son and accept this grace for ourselves we recieve the unmerited favor (grace) of eternal life.

Firefighter
Oct 7th 2009, 12:32 PM
We are saved by GRACE through FAITH.

His MERCY closes the gates to hell (what we DO deserve), while His GRACE opens the gates to heaven (what we don't deserve). He did that by His finished work at Calvary.

Longsufferer
Oct 7th 2009, 12:54 PM
..but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Matt 10:22
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope:
Romans 8:24
For by grace are ye saved through faith;
Eph 2:8
And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
Luke 21:34-36
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1 Cor 1:18
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;
Romans 1:16
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Acts 4:12
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

notuptome
Oct 7th 2009, 01:01 PM

My question is, are we saved by :- Faith, Grace, Mercy, Jesus sacrifice on the Cross, The Blood of Jesus, Belief in Jesus, Belief in Jesus and Baptism or all of the above?

I was just wanting to know your thoughts on this, as the answer i have come to from studying this topic is not as clear as I thought it would be.
Eph 2:8-9 states that we are saved by grace through faith. Understanding grace and faith and how they work will bring the others into the proper perspective. God has mercy upon us because He knows we cannot help ourselves. Sort of like a little bird that has fallen from the nest. If not put back it will perish.

The blood Christ shed on the cross was required by God to atone for our sins. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Because Jesus Christ is Jehovah God incarnate He was able to provide the necessary blood for atonement.

Jesus Christ was faithful and it is His faith that makes it possible for us to be saved. Jesus Christ finished all the work necessary for us to be saved. We receive the gift of eternal life by hearing what is said in Gods word and trusting God to honor His word. God's word teaches us that we are sinners and sinners do not inherit eternal life. God's word teaches us that God loves us and gave His Son to die in our stead that we can be redeemed. All we can do is take God at His word and God will give us eternal life. In a way we are taking a plea deal rather than going to trial before the Judge. We admit our guilt and we are pardoned because One has paid our penalty for us. Since there is no doubt as to our guilt and the penalty demanded we take our plea and our Advocate gets us a commuted sentence. Life eternal instead of death eternal.

The transaction is sealed by baptism through the Holy Spirit. Through this baptism we are sealed unto the day of redemption. The Holy Spirit is the down payment or the earnest of our redemption. Eph 1:14

For the cause of Christ
Roger

ScottWoods
Oct 7th 2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks

Chad.

We are saved by grace through faith (belief in Jesus) (Ephesians 2:8), made possible by God's mercy, manifested in Jesus's sacrifice on the cross. The blood of Jesus is symbolic, as it is by his death that we may be saved.

Butch5
Oct 7th 2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks

Chad.

We are saved by God, all of the above fall under grace.

Diolectic
Oct 7th 2009, 04:38 PM
Salvation is in this order:
1: Faith
All mankind has faith in one thing or another, but must put it in & on what Jesus has said & done. This is the first & primary step.

2: Repentance/conversion
This stems from faith #1; it is a fruit from or of faith. Faith without this primary work is dead.

3: Reconciliation
After steps 1 & 2, we are reconciled to God Father through Jesus, because of what He had done.

(3.1) Justification/being made righteous
We are now counted righteous because if our obedience of faith.
This is basically the in the same process of reconciliation, these can not be separated.

(3.2) Regeneration/Adoption
We are now counted as sons (& daughters), because we have been reconciled to God the Father, we can have a relationship with Him, which is eternal life (John 17:3)

4: Sanctification
This is a life long process which we are changed into the same image of Christ from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. (2Corinth 3:18)
Sanctification brings about works which are the fruit of righteousness. In other words, a changed life, a new view on life, and a new motive for everything that we do. In these new aspects of our life will become actions or works that give a testimony of Christ in us.

5: Glorification
This is also the finality of our sanctification process when this ''vanity'' (temporariness) along with the ''bondage of corruption'' (which is spoken of in Romans 8:20-21) is put off which we read in 1Corinth 15:42-44, 46-54. We must know that it is not because of Adam's sin and the curse that followed, but because of Him (God) who has subjected it in hope of the adoption, that is, the redemption of our bodies which is the glorious liberty of the children of God. This is what
1Cornthh 5:1 is talking about.

Clydson
Oct 8th 2009, 01:44 AM

Thanks

Chad.
Greetings Chad.

I believe the issue is very easy to grasp. Consider what scripture has determined to be the source of man's salvation, the gospel.

Rom 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
NKJV

With this in mind, then the answer to your question, by what are we saved, is by every element that scripture says saves us.

chad
Oct 8th 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks, There are some great answer there from all.

Ok here is what I have so far…

We are saved by Grace, through faith in Jesus Christ.
(Eph 2:48;Acts 15:11;Titus 2:11)

Not because of our righteous works but because of his Mercy. (Tit 3:4-7)

That if we believe in Jesus with our heart, that he died for our sins and God raised him from the dead we will be saved from the wrath of God.
(Rom 10:9-10;Acts 16:30-31Rom 5:9, 1 Thes 5:9)

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Our souls will be saved, because we are justified by his blood and we are justified, by his Grace. (1 Peter 1:8-9; Tit 3:5-7; Rom 5:9)

In Baptism, we are baptized into his death and also united with him in his resurrection. Our old self was crucified with him so the body of sin may be done away with. (Mark 16:16; Rom 6:3-8)

Salvation is a continual process. The bible says to work our salvation, and to grow up in our salvation. Through Salvation there is sanctification work taking place. (Phil 2:12; 1 Peter 2:2; 1 Peter 1:1)

ae123
Oct 8th 2009, 07:41 AM
Too Chad, there are all of those who have never been given a bible to read and all those born before Jesus' message had spread and been published, more recently, and distributed to the world. I don't know about them, but someone who does not understand the message of the New Testament is much like those who have never been introduced to it. What is their current status? Safe or not safe?

chad
Oct 8th 2009, 08:07 AM
Wow, difficult question for me. I would have to do some study on this topic before I could give you an proper biblical answer.

Too Chad, there are all of those who have never been given a bible to read and all those born before Jesus' message had spread and been published, more recently, and distributed to the world. I don't know about them, but someone who does not understand the message of the New Testament is much like those who have never been introduced to it. What is their current status? Safe or not safe?

crossnote
Oct 9th 2009, 03:49 AM
Maybe saying 'where' will answer 'how'.

...On A Hill Far Away.....

chad
Oct 9th 2009, 07:36 AM
Well in my opinion, all they have to understand is that Jesus died on the cross for them, to pay for their sins.

If they repent of their sins and believe in their heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross for them, rose again and offers them forgiveness for sin, then I would say they are saved. This is the message of the gospel in the New Testament.

I would encourage them to be baptized as Jesus commissioned his apostles to make disciples of all men, baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit. Many of the early church believers were baptized in accordance with the instruction Christ Jesus gave to his apostles.

If I could quote some verses from Acts 16:29-33

(Acts 16:29 NIV) The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas.

(30) He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

(31) They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

(32) Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house.

(33) At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

Hope this helps.

Chad.

someone who does not understand the message of the New Testament is much like those who have never been introduced to it. What is their current status? Safe or not safe?