PDA

View Full Version : Information 3 Qualities that show the importance of Scripture

emperormar
Oct 7th 2009, 08:23 PM
3 Qualities that show the importance of Scripture

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Revelation 19:13 says
He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Jesus is the word of God. Therefore the Bible is of course no ordinary book. When reading an ordinary book it is not necessary to meet the author to benefit from the book. With the Bible, everything is different. It is vital & necessary to meet the Author if you are to understand the Bible.
We can’t expect to know the God of the Bible until we know the Bible of God.
Neither can we expect to know the Bible of God without knowing the God of the Bible.
One can never understand the message and intent of the Bible, unless you have a redeeming encounter with its Author.

Jesus quoted the Old Testament about 180 times in the Gospels. Jesus prayed in John 17:24.
“Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the foundation of the world.”
We can see from his prayer that God loves himself & God loves us. God brings His own love for His Word into us when we are saved & the delight Jesus has had for the Bible is shared with us.

Paul wrote in Ephesians 1:16-19
“I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might”

In this scripture we can see that God’s word is Illuminative or enlightening
“that God may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened”
We can see that God’s word is Invaluable
“the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints”
As it is put in 1 Corinthians 2:9
""No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"
We also see that God’s word is infinite
“the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe”

First we’re going to look at the Illuminative quality of God’s word.

As said before ‘we can’t know God’s Bible without knowing God’. It is the Holy Spirit who illuminates us to God’s word.

Though the Bible does have an inherent illuminative capacity, it still must be illumined by the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit’s illumination and teaching, the Bible itself is just another book!

1 Corinthians 2:12- says
Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. "For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

The Bible itself attests to its illuminative quality
The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. -130
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.- 105
Proverbs 6:23- For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life

In Psalm 43:3, the Psalmist prayed this:
“O, send out Your light and Your truth, and let them lead me.” Note the combination of light and truth in his prayer. It is wise to pray to the Holy Spirit for His light before you expose yourself to His truth.

1 Peter 2:2 says
“As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that you may grow thereby”

The Psalmist in Psalm 119 frequently asks God for illumination.
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. -18
Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! -29
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. -37
I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. -102
Let my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word! -169

It is not enough to have the Word of God. Many people take up the Bible and read—and receive no benefit at all. Why? Because they had the truth, but had no light to detect it.

Next we look at the Invaluable quality of God’s word.

Psalm 12:6 says
“The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.”

God’s word equips us for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

God’s word is food for our spirit
Matthew 4:4
Jesus said, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
In John 4:33-34
The disciples said to one another, "Has anyone brought him something to eat?" Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
Jesus then said in John 6 "Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

God’s word gives us salvation, eternal life
John 5:24 - Jesus said “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.”
Romans 1:16 – Paul said “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes”
1 Peter 1:23-25 says “..you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God. For, "all flesh is like grass, and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls off, but the word of the lord endures forever." And this is the word which was preached to you.”

Psalm 119 also expresses the invaluable quality of God’s word.
The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces. -72
You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word. -114
I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil. -162

Finally we look at the Infinite & Eternal quality of God’s word.
Isaiah 40:13-14
Who has understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his counselor?
Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?
Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Isaiah 40:8 - The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
Psalm 139:17 - How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

Psalm 119 indeed expresses the infinite quality of God’s word.
Forever, O LORD, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens. -89
Your laws are perfect and completely trustworthy. -138
Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live. -144
Long have I known from your testimonies that you have founded them forever -152
The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever. My heart stands in awe of your words. -160-161
Even perfection has its limits, but your commands have no limit. -96

So we can see that God’s word itself expresses its Illuminative, Invaluable, & Infinite qualities

Psalm 19:7-9 says - The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether.

Paul says in Philippians 3:8
Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith.

In conclusion, There is simply nothing higher in our life on earth than the Word of God and the truth He brings to us through it.

---
This is a teaching I gave Oct 12, 2008