PDA

View Full Version : Should I retain some of my youthfulness?

Christ Warrior
Oct 8th 2009, 11:06 PM
I entered my final year as a teenager about a month ago. Although I'm glad that I'm almost 20 and leaving "teenhood", something my aunt said made me think: she said not to "rush it too much." I understand that she doesn't want me to grow up too fast, but I want to mature into a godly man! Should I try to mature as much as I can, or should I slow down a bit and use up any youthfulness I still have? I know I'm still young, but I don't want to be a "kid" forever!

Athanasius
Oct 8th 2009, 11:10 PM
I entered my final year as a teenager about a month ago. Although I'm glad that I'm almost 20 and leaving "teenhood", something my aunt said made me think: she said not to "rush it too much." I understand that she doesn't want me to grow up too fast, but I want to mature into a godly man! Should I try to mature as much as I can, or should I slow down a bit and use up any youthfulness I still have? I know I'm still young, but I don't want to be a "kid" forever!

Well, mature into a godly man but don't rush things ;)

Moxie
Oct 8th 2009, 11:25 PM

Hi Christ Warrior,

In our pastor's sermon last Sunday, he spoke on the section in 1 John 2:12-14 that describes the difference between a spiritual babe, child and adult. This is a process. Most people will tell you that it's life long but that's not necessarily so. Sanctification (the process of renewal; Rom 12:2) is a lifelong process that God will take us through but growing from a babe to a mature Christian doesn't have to be. Growing into a Godly man and one who is of integrity can be done at your age. How fast is really up to you as you decide how to spend your time. How much time you are willing to spend in the Word, in pray; choosing to be mentored by other Godly, mature men and serving Him.

Developmentally, you are still a "kid" but growing into adulthood and this is a wonderful time for you. This maturing process can't really be rushed either as you will enter a time of wanting to be independent but still needing and wanting to rely on parents/others close to you. And of course, trying to make plans for your own life; having fun, making friends and working to find the person you want to be. Just keep yourself focused on God and it'll all work out. :)

Christ Warrior
Oct 9th 2009, 12:36 AM
Well, mature into a godly man but don't rush things ;)

Hi Christ Warrior,

In our pastor's sermon last Sunday, he spoke on the section in 1 John 2:12-14 that describes the difference between a spiritual babe, child and adult. This is a process. Most people will tell you that it's life long but that's not necessarily so. Sanctification (the process of renewal; Rom 12:2) is a lifelong process that God will take us through but growing from a babe to a mature Christian doesn't have to be. Growing into a Godly man and one who is of integrity can be done at your age. How fast is really up to you as you decide how to spend your time. How much time you are willing to spend in the Word, in pray; choosing to be mentored by other Godly, mature men and serving Him.

Developmentally, you are still a "kid" but growing into adulthood and this is a wonderful time for you. This maturing process can't really be rushed either as you will enter a time of wanting to be independent but still needing and wanting to rely on parents/others close to you. And of course, trying to make plans for your own life; having fun, making friends and working to find the person you want to be. Just keep yourself focused on God and it'll all work out. :)

Thanks guys. I guess I really shouldn't worry about it.

Dragonlove
Oct 16th 2009, 08:58 PM
I wonder if she was talking about your relationship with God, or your maturing as a person. Sometimes we move to fast in both those areas, like some people decide that because they're 'adult' now they can't experience a child's delight in life and God's creation. In spirituality, there are many steps to go through before you are 'mature' and I really don't think there even is such thing on this earth, as soon as you think you've 'arrived' you're in a lot of trouble theologically. Some people try to jump the gun, acting more mature then they really are and you can sometimes do more damage that way then good. Move at your own pace, but retain your joy in life or what is there to live for?

IamRyan
Oct 17th 2009, 06:25 AM
I am taking the philosophy of: I plan on growing old, just never growing up

I honestly think I am as mature as I will be as an adult. I can take anything seriously, but there is almost never a time where some jokes/pranks/laughs can be added in :D