PDA

View Full Version : Reason for the hope that you have

HisLeast
Oct 13th 2009, 04:20 PM
More questions I realize I don't have the answers to.

1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…

What is "hope" and what reasons do you have for it?
Does it honestly feel like hope?

My heart's Desire
Oct 13th 2009, 05:10 PM

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…

My VERY first thought when I read your question is Jesus arose from the dead, never to die again! Because He lives, I will also.

LetsDrinkCoke
Oct 13th 2009, 05:20 PM

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respectů

I don't come away reading to much into what hope means here for me at least. I see it as the fundamental belief all Christians have; That Christ died for our sins, raised himself from the dead, and promised us eternal life with him in Heaven if we specifically have a part of our heart "set apart" for him.

Looking at the word itself, Hope is elpis in the Greek. I'm no bible scolar so I always look at Strong's and Thayer's on Greek words to get a better meaning of it. Strong says "to anticipate, usually with pleasure". That makes sense looking at the verse. We should anticipate with pleasure the story of Jesus that is in our hearts. Titus 1:2 says a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time.

As far as does it feel like hope. Hope is anticipation for good things to me. And I do anticipate the time when I am with my Savior in Heaven, so I would say yes it does feel like hope

Vhayes
Oct 13th 2009, 05:24 PM
Colossians 1
26 - that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints,
27 - to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28 - We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ.

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 13th 2009, 05:33 PM
Hope for me is the expectation of meeting the One who Saved, Set me Free and Redeemed me in 1994...

It is the expectation of leaving this planet and leaving behind this corruption and putting on Incorruption...

How do I Live in Hope?

From and because His Word tells me... and from that I live each day with expectation.. that Today could be the Day I see my Redeemer face to face... its that Joy and Hope which others see .. and from this I can tell them the Reason for the Hope .. for it is Christ in Me.. the Hope of Glory..

He is the Reason for my Hope.. and He is the Reason I exist today..

He is the Reason.... for me...

It's 'knowing' I've been forgiven and set free from that condemnation and guilt..... Forgiven and Loved Eternally... even from the Foundation of the World... this leading to the Peace that passeth all understanding....

as David says..

My tears have been my meat day and night...
when shall I come and appear before My God?

Paul's desire was to depart and be with Christ... as is every Genuine Believer.. they're desire will be to see their Redeemer... and for those who never Witnessed firsthand Christ in the Flesh... their is a special blessing...

blessed are those who Believe.. yet have not seen....

Hope is apart of every aspect of a believer's Life.. from raising children to having a job and finances.. no matter how great or small they are...

Hope is not in our own Power.. but In Him and What He can do..

Resting and Trusting In Him and His Ability.. for He is Able.... Amen..

this all Possible because of What He has Done on that Bloody Tree...

for the carnal man.. the Cross and the One Who Paid the Price there.... it doesnt make sense to them... for it represents gloom and despair...

but for us who are Genuinely Saved... it represents Victory and Hope.... and When Christ came out of the tomb conquering Death Hell and the Grave... that was the Icing on the Cake... and from this we have hope...

Hope and Freedom... void of any condemnation and guilt.. these Washed away with the Precious Blood of Christ .. who gave it all for His Own..

Can you measure Hope and does it have a feeling? don't really know if you can measure it.. but when yOU have the Hope of Glory, Christ thru the Eternal Spirit living inside you... there is Joy Unspeakable... and this feeling is indescribeable... Impossible to put in words...

HisLeast
Oct 13th 2009, 05:54 PM
Can you measure Hope and does it have a feeling? don't really know if you can measure it.. but when yOU have the Hope of Glory, Christ thru the Eternal Spirit living inside you... there is Joy Unspeakable... and this feeling is indescribeable... Impossible to put in words...

I must be doing it wrong.

RabbiKnife
Oct 13th 2009, 05:57 PM
Hope is knowing that when you finally get home, even if you crawl through 18 miles of sewer line to get there, the light will be on, the door will be open, there will be a hot bath ready and dinner on the stove keeping warm.

Hope is not about feelings.

Hope is about the One hoped in, not in the one doing the hoping.

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 13th 2009, 06:15 PM
I must be doing it wrong.

It's Not about what we are 'doing'.. or how well we do it..

It's about the One who has already 'DONE' it... on that bloody Tree and what He has Accomplished

As RabbiKnife put... its not about us.. or the ones doing the hoping..

its about the One who we Place our Hope and Trust In..

He is the Reason for Our Hope.. and He is the Reason we Give answers to those who ask? What is about you.. that's different.. why are you always happy and joyful... Its about Jesus...

and Hope is Eternal.. and it is Found in the Person of Jesus the Christ..

God Manifest in the flesh...

notuptome
Oct 13th 2009, 06:20 PM
Biblical hope is the best kind of hope. Hope in the Lord is a hope that is secure. There is no chance of failure with the Lord. Our hope in Him is eternal hope. What hope do we have? The hope that Christ has promised to forgive us our sins and present us faultless before the Fathers throne. Ours is a blessed hope of eternal life. A hope of spared from wrath. A hope of no longer under condemnation.

We have a hope that the sinner needs to hear about because he does not have any hope.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

HisLeast
Oct 13th 2009, 06:22 PM
It's Not about what we are 'doing'.. or how well we do it..

It's about the One who has already 'DONE' it... on that bloody Tree and what He has Accomplished

Umm... the alternative to me doing it wrong is God doing it wrong. Are you certain it has nothing to do with our own actions or beliefs?

HisLeast
Oct 13th 2009, 06:22 PM
Hope is not about feelings.

I found this response very interesting as it seems to stand in stark contrast to much of the other input.

Steve M
Oct 13th 2009, 06:50 PM
We hope in what we do not see; if we could see it now, experience it now, feel it now, it would cease to be hope, because we would have it.

We hope... and we must in patience wait for that which we hope it to be manifested. Patience is made perfect in trials... give thanks for those trials when they come!

What hope do I have?

I hope that God truly is unstoppable; that His promises truly are irrevocable; that He is truly great.

RabbiKnife
Oct 13th 2009, 07:05 PM
Once upon a time, I fell off a cliff while doing some free climbing with my brother. We had a skinny 3/8 sisal rope hanging down the cliff face "just in case." As I fell, I grabbed the rope and ended up hanging in the air in a knot about 35 feet off the very sharp ground.

I didn't stop to worry about whether the rope was holding me or not. I didn't take time to experience any feelings. Whether I was scared snotless or happy as a pig in mud had nothing to do with whether the rope held me.

The "hope" was in the object of my hoping...not in how I perceived my experience.

Feelings are notoriously fickle and subject to whim. Yes, I understand the phrase "joy unspeakable and full of glory," but during dark, hard, ugly times, feelings suck.

Hope in Christ, however, is the light on at home as I struggle to get there.

Vhayes
Oct 13th 2009, 07:08 PM
Once upon a time, I fell off a cliff while doing some free climbing with my brother. We had a skinny 3/8 sisal rope hanging down the cliff face "just in case." As I fell, I grabbed the rope and ended up hanging in the air in a knot about 35 feet off the very sharp ground.

I didn't stop to worry about whether the rope was holding me or not. I didn't take time to experience any feelings. Whether I was scared snotless or happy as a pig in mud had nothing to do with whether the rope held me.

The "hope" was in the object of my hoping...not in how I perceived my experience.

Feelings are notoriously fickle and subject to whim. Yes, I understand the phrase "joy unspeakable and full of glory," but during dark, hard, ugly times, feelings suck.

Hope in Christ, however, is the light on at home as I struggle to get there.
I'm unable to rep you, Rabbi - but this is beautiful! And so very, very true.

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 13th 2009, 08:55 PM
Umm... the alternative to me doing it wrong is God doing it wrong. Are you certain it has nothing to do with our own actions or beliefs?

How are you Saved? By your own works? Are you placing your 'faith' and 'hope' in what you can accomplish? in your own power?

Or in The One who has Accomplished it...

Believing with Child Like Faith.. in what He has done for you...

Hoping and Leaning on Him.. as you did when you leaned upon your parents.. when you were young..

Hope is About the One who I place my hope in... Not about how well I can perform.. as if God were measuring me on a scale of 1-10 on how well I hope... that's not Biblical... Hope is not about how well you can perform nor can it be measured as if its some 'perfermance test'....

Hope is about Christ living in me and thru me thru the Power of the Holy Ghost... He doesn't look at outward appearance.. but looks on the Heart...

is their Trust and Hope found there? Is there Faith found there?

The Closer I draw near to HIm.. the More I realize how short I fall on a daily basis.. and the more I realize the Greatness of His Love for me.. and that He does not fail.. and that I can lean on Him and I can Place my Hope in Him for every aspect of my life...

Hope without any kind of feeling... that is foreign to me.. and its 'cold'........ there is Feeling with Hope... for if you have Joy Unspeakable and Hope........ without feeling ....that Joy/Hope is nothing but a cold hard rock.. lifeless and just words... much like the religous leaders of Jesus Day.. Words were on their lips.. but there hearts were far from Him... they were cold and calculating.. yet claiming to be the Chosen of God..but in reality their father was satan...

Hope without any 'feeling".... thats nothing but a cold hard rock...and thats not the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob...

For He is Personal...

and one thing I've learned over the past umpteen years.. is that Satan comes to 'steal' that Hope and Joy.. he is a thief..

and he'll use any technique to do it.. and this even 'theologically' trying to explain away what "hope" is... spinning it out of reality.. to make it appear as though its just another ... religious dictionary explanation...

he is cold, calculating, and insidious in his theft...

Hope is a Person... and its found in a Person. the One who hung on that Bloody Tree.. giving it all..

I'll place my Hope in Him.. and I can live in freedom.. knowing that He is not measuring me according to some scale on how well 'I hope' on a daily Basis.. this Hope I lay and place my Hope in... Its Eternal.. its Jesus the Christ.. God manifest in the flesh.. He is Eternal... and Hope is Eternal...

John declares that he and others Witnessed first Hand, the Word of Life.. Hope Eternal.. the Person of Jesus the Christ... they witnessed this and 'handled' the Word of Life.. now if these who 'saw' Him first hand.. didn't have 'feelings' about Him when they walked with Him and talked with Him, ate and were around Him 24/7... if they're Hope at that Time that He was the Messiah.. didn't have any feelings.. i

he that hath ears let him hear

HisLeast
Oct 13th 2009, 10:35 PM
How are you Saved? By your own works? Are you placing your 'faith' and 'hope' in what you can accomplish? in your own power?
I thought hope was "not something I do".

Believing with Child Like Faith.. in what He has done for you...

Hoping and Leaning on Him.. as you did when you leaned upon your
parents.. when you were young..
I have no idea what this means practically.

Hope is About the One who I place my hope in... Not about how well I can perform.. as if God were measuring me on a scale of 1-10 on how well I hope... that's not Biblical... Hope is not about how well you can perform nor can it be measured as if its some 'perfermance test'....

Hope is about Christ living in me and thru me thru the Power of the Holy Ghost... He doesn't look at outward appearance.. but looks on the Heart...

is their Trust and Hope found there? Is there Faith found there?
I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I think its only worth going there once I understand answers to my original questions.
What IS hope? What are the reasons for it?

Hope without any kind of feeling... that is foreign to me.. and its 'cold'........ there is Feeling with Hope... for if you have Joy Unspeakable and Hope........ without feeling ....that Joy/Hope is nothing but a cold hard rock.. lifeless and just words... much like the religous leaders of Jesus Day.. Words were on their lips.. but there hearts were far from Him... they were cold and calculating.. yet claiming to be the Chosen of God..but in reality their father was satan...

Hope without any 'feeling".... thats nothing but a cold hard rock...and thats not the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob...
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.
But it sounds like hope is intrinsically linked to some kind of feeling. This takes me back to my original challenge: I must be doing it wrong.

RabbiKnife
Oct 14th 2009, 01:46 PM
Feelings have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Feelings are just biochemical responses in our heads.

Love is not a feeling. It is an act of sacrifice.
Hope is not a feeling. It is an act of the will that says "Lord, I trust you, even if I can't see you, hear you, understand you, or have any idea how I'm supposed to get there from here. I can't see any light, but I know that you are there anyway. I choose to trust you, and you are my hope."

Feelings are crap.

HisLeast
Oct 14th 2009, 02:01 PM
Feelings have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Feelings are just biochemical responses in our heads.

Love is not a feeling. It is an act of sacrifice.
Hope is not a feeling. It is an act of the will that says "Lord, I trust you, even if I can't see you, hear you, understand you, or have any idea how I'm supposed to get there from here. I can't see any light, but I know that you are there anyway. I choose to trust you, and you are my hope."

Feelings are crap.

I respect your answer, but you can see how I'm confused when there's two mutually exclusive answers to the same question. On the one hand I'm told it has nothing to do with feeling, on the other I'm told all the things I'm supposed to feel.

How does the above definition of hope differ from a definition of faith? I should probably ask what faith is, since I'm certain I no longer know what that means either.

RabbiKnife
Oct 14th 2009, 02:36 PM
Other than people bandying semantics, I don't think there is any significant or actual difference between "hope" and "faith". Both are conscious decisions of the will to trust in something greater than ourselves.

My heart's Desire
Oct 14th 2009, 04:35 PM
The way I see it Faith- someone tells you something and you believe it based on the character and trustworthiness of the one who tells you. That something can be facts based on something you cannot see or feel. You simply take that persons word for it.
First, the Lord tells us in the Word facts that we are to believe about Himself and ourselves. Whether you first look as to if there is evidence for God or if the Bible is God's Word is up to the one seeking. Regardless, if one decides the Bible is God's Word and God/Jesus is real then one just takes for true what God says even if you don't see or feel it. The evidence comes when we put action behind what we believe is true based on that person's word in this case the Word of God. The difference in intellectual assent and faith is that we may believe what the Lord says is true in general and for any. Biblical faith make the Lord's Word personal and in effect for us. We personally trust Him for ourselves and we enter into a relationship with Him. I may believe for a fact that a person will give 100 dollars to anyone who asks and I may know it is true, but it doesn't become personal and in effect for me, until I believe that person and go ask for the 100 dollars believing they will give it to me just because they said they would, until then it is only intellectual assent.

Sometimes after we take action based on a persons word, we may or may not experience the feeling or see the effects associated with that but we still are going by the person and their words, not feelings. That is faith.
Hope is the same along those lines. If we have faith in the words of a person then we also have the sure hope that these things are true. IMO, in a way biblical hope is different than worldly hope. In worldly hope, one may say "I hope to be rich one day" and let they have nothing to base that hope on that it will definiately become true.
Biblical hope is based on trust in the words of the Lord and so we know that kind of hope does come true.

goykodesh
Oct 14th 2009, 04:58 PM
Hope is an interesting word. I believe 'hope' can be tied with 'blessed' in the context of the Beattitudes. The Word Jesus possibly used for 'blessed' is 'asher', or it's equivalent in Aramaic. Asher can mean 'happy' in the context of Leah's naming of her child, but like most things Hebrew, 'asher' can take on more meaning depending on context. In the context of the beattitues, it may be easier to describe 'asher' by pointing out it's oppposite. Isaiah 6:5 for example....

"...woe is me, for I am undone! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts..."

The Hebrew term is 'oye vey'....woe...it's a dark feeling of impending doom, darkeness deeper than fear or even death. In this context 'asher' is the complete opposite - there is no English equivalent word per say, but perhaps it can be described as an assurance, a real knowledge that the future holds for those who are blessed a place of peace, fullness, completeness and rest, completely separated from the daily woes here on earth. The Hebrew word for 'word' is 'd'var. Deuternomy in Hebrew is simply titlled "D'varim" (words), D'var can also mean promise. Jesus is the D'var made flesh, the promise made flesh. His ministry, His teachings about the true intent of the Law, His resurrection from death and gift of the Holy Spirit are evidence of the things hoped for, evidence of 'asher.'

One can believe, or one can have faith. It is written that Abraham had faith. It is also written that Abraham was a friend of God. That means Abraham knew God, had a relationship with Him, no less than his relationship with Sarah.

How much more does hope, or 'asher' mean to me now that I know Him? Faith is knowing. In the context of God, Hope is assurance.

BroRog
Oct 14th 2009, 05:24 PM
Other than people bandying semantics, I don't think there is any significant or actual difference between "hope" and "faith". Both are conscious decisions of the will to trust in something greater than ourselves.

Sometimes we moosh concepts together when they are so closely related to each other. But technically, the terms "faith" and "hope" are different. Faith is simply agreeing or acknowledging that some proposition is true. Hope, on the other hand, is our state of mind with regard to that proposition. Hope is our attitude, our disposition in the light of the fact we accepted.

For instance, suppose a parent tells a young child about Santa Claus and Christmas, giving the child the whole story about Santa coming down the chimney, bringing presents and filling stockings.

Faith is when the child accepts and acknowledges what the parent says. If we were to ask the child, "Do you believe what your parents said about Christmas?" The child would respond in the affirmative due to his or her faith in the parent.

Hope is the attitude of anticipation the child experiences as he or she waits for the day after Christmas. In December the child can see the snow on the ground, the smell of winter in the air, the house decorated with red and green, toy commercials on TV, and visits to the shopping mall. In anticipation of the event, the child talks about Christmas, asks questions about it, thinks about it, wonders about it, and dreams about it.

Faith is giving mental assent to what the parent said. Hope is living in anticipation of the event.

Likewise for Christians. Faith is giving mental assent to the ideas and concepts of the faith. We accept as true that we are sinners in need of forgiveness and mercy. We accept that due to what Jesus did on the cross, we have forgiveness. We also accept his promise to grant us a transformation of our character such that we will always want to do God's will and live eternally in goodness, righteousness, and love.

Faith is giving mental assent to those ideas. Hope, on the other hand, is living in anticipation of those things. Just like the child waiting for Christmas, we talk about salvation, we think about salvation, we dream about salvation. We can't wait for the day when we are going to be saved.

Faith is giving mental assent to what Jesus said and the promises he made. Hope is living in anticipation of those things, acting as someone who believes it, and orchestrating life to the degree possible as our response to our hope.

Rookie78
Oct 14th 2009, 05:28 PM
Faith = Hope + evidence (for that hope)

So I put my trust in God for my future salvation, I believe in His word. (hope) My evidence is my repentance.

christseeker
Oct 14th 2009, 07:53 PM

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respectů

"Hope" is what Christ did for us ones He chose to save. No many times it does not "feel" like hope, in fact more times I am sad than happy. If feelings were the measure than I would be lost, the "hope" is a knowledge of what we gain and what we gladly lost. My 5 cents (inflation :) )

HisLeast
Oct 15th 2009, 08:52 PM
So if I were unsaved... or if an unsaved person were reading this thread and they said "why should I hope if I were a Christian"....what would you tell them?

BroRog
Oct 15th 2009, 10:39 PM
So if I were unsaved... or if an unsaved person were reading this thread and they said "why should I hope if I were a Christian"....what would you tell them?

I would say that this life offers so much but delivers so little. There is so much beauty, wonder, and joy to be found, which falls short because there are so many things that destroy beauty. The mundane fights against the wonder. And the pain salts the joy. This world promises life, and gives us death, destruction, ruin, dissolution, rust, rot, and all things transitory.

Not only this but I cause much of the pain my loved ones feel. Ironically, I am the most common source of their suffering with my thoughtless comments, and my inattention, and my working too late, and my complaining, and my less than hopeful outlook. I'm not such a bad guy, but I'm not a good guy. I can be pleasant and fun, but I can be a bummer too.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could live a 1,000 years with a good marriage in which we support each other emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Every year of marriage would be that much better than the last as we live a life of encouragement, growth, positive affirmation, and love. But we suffer each other. Marriage is work because we constantly need to deal with each other's mess. Marriage can be wholesome and supportive, but it can also be a great stress on the psyche.

I'd say that I anticipate a future in which life will deliver all that it promises and more. I look forward to a time when God will fix me so that I love others with an unselfish love, care for others without reservation, have more patience with people and give them all the time they need. I stand in confident expectation of a future of beauty, goodness, righteousness, glory, and love.

My confidence is in my creator, his faithfulness to his promises, and I trust the son of God and believe what he said about me, the world, and the future.

That's what I would say.

The Mighty Sword
Oct 15th 2009, 10:45 PM
Reason for the hope that you have

The reason for my hope is hope in Faith and visa-versa.

HisLeast
Oct 15th 2009, 10:48 PM
Reason for the hope that you have

The reason for my hope is hope in Faith and visa-versa.

The reason for your hope is hope?

The Mighty Sword
Oct 15th 2009, 10:50 PM
The reason for your hope is hope?

What I should have said was I hope for faith.

tt1106
Oct 16th 2009, 01:39 AM
If the Bible is true, then there is an eternal life after this one. I believe the Bible is true, therefore, I believe there is eternal life after this one.
I demonstrate my Hope by living as if I believe the Bible is the Inspired word of God.
I stole from my Father when I was 17. I stole a couple of military bayonets from him and sold them at a pawn shop. He caught me. I lived the next 20 years of my life, trying to earn that piece of myself back, that I thought I'd lost. My Dad never brought it up after the incident and I enlisted and left the country. When Christ found me and broke me, that was one of the memories that he pulled up. There was alot of shame that I felt, that was immediately washed away. I remember going to my father and apologizing. He told me he'd forgiven me 20 years ago.
That weekend in February 2007 changed my life in a radical supernatural way. Because of the obviousness of God.
The Hope I have is that if I can tell people about Jesus they can put down their burdens also, and live. The reason for the hope is evidenced by the change in my nature and life. The blessings and the suffering that God has given us to carry, but the joy and strength that is there also.
Proof of God=Hope for promises kept. I simply believe.

My heart's Desire
Oct 16th 2009, 01:53 AM
Jesus said "Come unto me, all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest."
My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

ThyWordIsTruth
Oct 16th 2009, 11:45 AM

This is my hope, for which I am willing to give up everything on this earth, my ambition, goals, riches, comfort, enjoyment, even my life for. For this hope am I willing to deny myself and take up my cross daily to follow Christ.

2Co 4:17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,
2Co 4:18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.
Rom 8:23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
Rom 8:24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?
Rom 8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

First hope: Seeing Christ
I hope and long to see Christ face to face, hug him, fall at his feet to worship, and cry at his feet. My good sheperd, my beloved God and King, and my most beloved friend and Savior.

Second hope: My adoption as a son of God
I hope to be finally adopted as a son of God, and to be given a glorified body at Christ's second return. I think it was Jonathan Edwards who said that when we were glorified with new bodies, we'd be so tempted to fall down and worship each other and we'll have to try very hard to resist doing that.

Third hope: The things God has in store for me
I long to see heaven. I long also for Christ to come back and establish his kingdom and for history to pan out as written in Revelations. I look forward to seeing the beautiful and wonderful things God has prepared for us his children in eternity, to explore the new earth, to eat of its fruits, explore it, play in it, fellowship with other redeemed sons and daughters of God, enjoy all the things I wanted to do on this cursed earth but did not have an opportunity to. I will have an eternity to pursue those things in heaven.

I look forward to the banquet that God promised he'd personally prepare for us.

I also long and look forward to our rewards in heaven. I am excited to see my mansion, and all the treasures I've laid up in heaven. I'm also excited to own all the dogs I want, play with baby lions and lambs and all kinds of animals. I want to hug a polar bear or a baby seal.

Our hope is a real hope. It is this hope that, I believe, motivates a believer to give up everything in this life if Christ so demanded. I believe it was also for this very hope that God showed Paul heaven, that me might see what he had in store for him to keep him going and undergo all persecutions courageously on this earth.

waslostnowfound
Oct 17th 2009, 12:47 PM
Hi HisLeast!! I love the way you dig for answers brother! You always keep me thinking.....and that is a good thing!

I checked out Mirriam-Webster online and discovered something that helped me.

They have two applications of the word "hope". One as a verb and one as a noun.

verb - to cherish a desire with anticipation.

noun - a desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment.

I always thought hope had somewhat of an open-ended connotation. In other words,,, I could hope for something, but there was the very real possibility that it would not happen. The definition here is one that implies that what we place our hope in is something that is already a certainty.

This gave me a whole new understanding of hope as it is used in the bible!

As believers, we already know the outcome. We win! That is my hope (noun). I don't see any feelings involved here. I agree that feelings are untrustworthy and are too closely tied to our own selfishness. Hope is founded in absolute certainty!

God Bless you brother!

Craig

Butch5
Oct 18th 2009, 08:49 PM

I believe that Peter is referring to a specific hope, not hope in general. I believe he is referring to the same hope that Paul refers to. I believe this hope is the promises made to Abraham.

Romans 8:17-25 ( KJV )
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

I believe this is the hope that Peter is speaking of. This is Paul's explanation of the fulfillment of the promises to Abraham.

Butch5
Oct 18th 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi HisLeast!! I love the way you dig for answers brother! You always keep me thinking.....and that is a good thing!

I checked out Mirriam-Webster online and discovered something that helped me.

They have two applications of the word "hope". One as a verb and one as a noun.

verb - to cherish a desire with anticipation.

noun - a desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment.

I always thought hope had somewhat of an open-ended connotation. In other words,,, I could hope for something, but there was the very real possibility that it would not happen. The definition here is one that implies that what we place our hope in is something that is already a certainty.

This gave me a whole new understanding of hope as it is used in the bible!

As believers, we already know the outcome. We win! That is my hope (noun). I don't see any feelings involved here. I agree that feelings are untrustworthy and are too closely tied to our own selfishness. Hope is founded in absolute certainty!

God Bless you brother!

Craig

Hi Craig,

Paul had the idea of a sure hope are you have mentioned in your post as we see in Romans 8

Romans 8:17-25 ( KJV )
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.