PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with firefox opening new windows on its own?

moonglow
Oct 14th 2009, 05:53 PM
Its like its hijacking itself..its weird. Usually I have four or five tabs up at a time on Firefox...done it that way for years and no problem, then suddenly lately right in the middle of typing a post on here, it will drop that tab and open a whole new window...not a new tab, but a window. I don't lose what I am typing..but it sure interrupts my chain of thought when it does that!

And its happened to my son too. He'll be on the sites he likes..have several tabs up and be in the middle of doing something on one and suddenly it closes that tab and opens a new window. One time firefox seemed to be 'fighting with itself' as to which window should be up and when my son tried to lower one, the two windows flipped back and forth..one going up, the other down, then that one down then up again. They did this on their own too! At one point all we could do was wait for it to stop as it went back and forth like this a number of times! It was crazy!

I have run virus scans and ad-ware scans to see if that was causing the problem..didn't find anything...so I don't know what is going on. Its very annoying! Then we have to close that window and go back to the other tabs, open a new tab and bring that site up again. Or they flip flop like that. Its a pain.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to stop this? Thanks

NewInHim
Oct 15th 2009, 07:28 PM
It's been happening to me too, and I have only noticed it since I last upgraded it. It happens pretty infrequently, but it sure is annoying! I think it has something to do with clicking while waiting for it to finish loading the page. I dunno, that has been my intuition about it. When I open a bunch of tabs, I try not to click on the tabby part at the top if they haven't finished loading yet. That seems to help!

Edit: Ah, I love google, lol. Here ya go: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2082/week-in-geek-the-disable-firefox-3.5-tab-tearing-edition/ (has a fix)

moonglow
Oct 15th 2009, 08:44 PM
It's been happening to me too, and I have only noticed it since I last upgraded it. It happens pretty infrequently, but it sure is annoying! I think it has something to do with clicking while waiting for it to finish loading the page. I dunno, that has been my intuition about it. When I open a bunch of tabs, I try not to click on the tabby part at the top if they haven't finished loading yet. That seems to help!

Edit: Ah, I love google, lol. Here ya go: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2082/week-in-geek-the-disable-firefox-3.5-tab-tearing-edition/ (has a fix)

Thanks! I had to download it just to disable it though which seems odd..I mean if I didn't have it to start with, why would it do it in the first place? :hmm: And it would do it all by itself! So I'll say, yea its a bug! Thanks again!

God bless

Quickened
Oct 15th 2009, 09:48 PM
Good thread i was wondering about this