PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible study - Genesis2

Frances
Oct 20th 2009, 05:24 PM
Genesis 1 - 2:3

What does the text say? - In the beginning God Created the heavens and the earth without form or void and God's Spirit hovered over the darkness. God created light and divided it from the darkness, calling the light 'day' and the darkness 'night'. The evening and the morning were the first day. On the second day He divided Heaven from Earth. On the third day God divided the dry land from the sea, and Created plants and trees to reproduce after their kind. On the fourth day God Created the sun, moon and stars. On the fifth day He created the sea creatures and birds to reproduce after their kind. On the sixth day God created every kind of animal and insect and mankind, male and female, in the image of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit); He told them to be fruitful and multiply and fill the Earth and subdue it. Everything God created was to have a vegetarian diet. God saw that everything He had made was very good. On the seventh day God rested. He Blessed and sanctified the seventh day because in it He rested.

Application? - Do I really appreciate the Power of the One who is responsible for creating everything? Evening and morning clearly indicate 24 hour days. We have 7 day weeks reflecting the 6 days of Creation plus God's day of rest that He sanctified. One day in seven to rest and recuperate are essential if people are to fulfill their true potential. (eg. Henry Ford is reported to have said his 'Model T' car would have been in production six months sooner if his workers had not worked seven days each week to get the job done.

Frances
Oct 21st 2009, 04:32 PM
Genesis 2:4 - 25

What does the text say? - More details relating to when God Created everything. At first there was no rain and no people. Dew enabled the plants to grow. The Lord God Created a man from the dust on the ground, breathed into his nostrils and gave him Life. The Lord God put the man in Eden, a garden He had Created that contained every kind of fruit-bearing tree, including the tree of Life and the tree of the Knowledge of good and evil. There was a river in the garden to water it; when the river left the garden it divided into four tributaries; the Pishon, the Ghion, the Tigris and the Euphrates. When the Lord God put the man in the garden to cultivate it He told him he could eat the fruit of every tree except from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for if he did he would die (physically and spiritually). Then the Lord God created every kind of animal and bird, and the man (Adam) named each one. Then God Created a woman from one of Adam's ribs to be his wife and to become one flesh with him.

Application? - I understand that if a person’s bottom rib is carefully removed without damaging what surrounds it, it will grow back again - it is that rib a surgeon will remove to repair damaged bone in other parts of the body. Does each act of fornication or adultery cause the body to degenerate faster and/or fragment that person's spirit?

Frances
Oct 22nd 2009, 05:08 PM
Genesis 3

What does the text say? - the serpent was more cunning than anything the Lord God had made. The serpent told the woman no one would die if they ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge, instead they would become like God, knowing the difference between good and evil. The woman was with her husband when she picked the fruit, ate it, and gave some to him and he ate it too. They knew they were naked and sewed fig leaves together to cover their nakedness. They heard the Lord God in the garden and hid themselves. God called out 'Where are you?'. The man said he was afraid because he was naked. God asked how he knew he was naked, and if he'd disobeyed and eaten the fruit of the tree of knowledge. The man blamed the woman, the woman blamed the serpent. God condemned the serpent to slither on his belly, and said the Seed(singular) of the woman would bruise Satan's head and he would bruise His heel, and the woman would suffer pain producing children but desire her husband who would rule over her. The ground was now cursed because of Adam's disobedience, so he would have to work hard to produce enough to eat, until he returned to the dust from which he had been created. Adam called his wife Eve. God sent them out of the garden and prevented them having access to the tree of Life.

Application? - Do I slightly twist Truth, making it a lie? When Adam and Eve disobeyed God they, and we, did die; death mean 'separation' and they, and their offspring (us), were separated from God and Life, so they began to die. Do I choose to believe slight variations on God's word that mean I am able to please myself and/or the penalty for my Sin will be waived? Do I desire to spend time with God or am I afraid to be close to Him? Is there Godly distrust between those who distort God's Word and myself? Do I realise husbands are to rule over their wives in the same way that Christ rules over His Church - with sacrificial Love? and that wives who try to rule their husbands are disobeying God? God sacrificed an animal to clothe Adam and Eve and He prevented them, and their offspring, living forever.

Frances
Oct 23rd 2009, 04:09 PM
Genesis 4

What does the text say? - Eve conceived and bore Cain, then conceived again and bore Abel. When they grew up Abel kept sheep and Cain tilled the ground. Cain offered God some of his produce and Abel offered Him his first-born lamb. God did not accept Cain's offering but He accepted Abel's, so Cain was angry. God asked Cain why he was angry and said he must overcome Sinful thoughts. Cain killed Abel. God knew what Cain had done and cursed him, banishing him from the area where he had killed Abel. God said Cain would not get any good crops from the earth however hard he worked; he would always be a homeless wanderer. Cain fathered Enoch, building a city and naming it after his son. Enoch had a great, great grandson named Lamech who took two wives, one of his sons, Jabal, fathered those who live in tents and raised livestock, another Jubal fathered those who play musical instruments, and Tubal-Cain who instructed every craftsman in metal work. Lamech killed a man who attacked him.
Eve had another son, Seth, Seth fathered Enosh, at that time people began to worship the Lord God.

Application? - all children in one family are different in ability and character. Do I offer the Lord the best I have to give? Do I give the Lord what He wants me to give (ie. myself). Do I reject, or allow, Sin's control over me? Do I kill anyone's reputation and therefore their opportunities? Do I kill Truth by diluting it? Sin separates each person from God. Polygamy (4:19) began in Cain's family in opposition to God(2:24). Because good can come from evil associations (eg polygamy) does not excuse un-Godly actions. Those who follow God closely are often maligned by those who choose freedom from all of His Ways.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Abel's sacrifice was acceptable because he was righteous (1 John 3:12) and because it was offered in faith (Heb. 11:4). On the entrance of Sin, it seems, God had ordained such sacrifice. It appears to have been a sort of primeval picture of the atoning death of Christ. . . . . In the 130 years from Adam's Creation to Abel's murder a good many generations had arisen, with a total population of probably many thousands."

Frances
Oct 24th 2009, 04:45 PM
Genesis 5

What does the text say? - The genealogy of Adam and Eve, who God created in His image, to Shem, Ham and Japheth (were they triplets?):- 130 years after Adam was Created he fathered Seth. Adam lived another 800 years. When Seth was 105 he fathered Enosh, then lived another 807 years. When Enosh was 90 he fathered Cainan then lived 815 years. When Cainan was 70 he fathered Mahalalel then lived 840 years. When Mahalalel was 65 he fathered Jared then lived 830 years. When Jared was 162 he fathered Enoch then lived 800 years. Enoch was 65 when he fathered Methuselah, then lived another 300 years with God, “and he was not for the Lord took him". When Methuselah was 187 he fathered Lamech then lived 832 years. When Lamech was 182 he fathered Noah, then lived 595 years. When Noah was 500 he fathered Shem, Ham and Japheth. All of those named had many other sons and daughters.

Application? - Biblical names have meanings. I understand the meanings of the names in this genealogy are . . . (try reading the meanings from top to bottom)
Adam - ..... means - Man
Seth - ....... means - ,,,,.. appointed
Enosh - ..... means - ...... mortal
Cainan - .... means - ...... sorrow
Mahalalel -.. means - ...... Blessed God
Jared -....... means - ...... shall come down
Enoch -...... means - ...... teaching
Methuselah. -means - ...... his death will bring
Lamech .....- means - ...... (the) despairing
Noah ........- means - ...... comfort and rest

Methuselah's life overlapped Adam's by 243 years and Noah's by 600 years (he died the year of the flood) so he could have heard directly from Adam about Creation, and told Noah, Shem, Ham and Japheth - not much chance of a mistake, as memories were undoubtedly not far from perfection in those days.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Among the pre-flood cities excavated . . . archeologists have gotten very close to the beginnings of settled life in Babylonia. Among the relics of pre-flood peoples are such things as painted pottery, tools, turquoise vases, copper mirrors, hoes, sickles, implements of stone and flint, quartz, fish hooks, models of boats, an underground kiln, beautiful vitrified pottery, brick ruins of buildings covered with plaster or painted red, pottery artistically painted in intricate geometric patterns and figures of birds, even a chariot, and architectural accomplishments that indicate 'an astonishingly advanced civilisation"

livingwaters
Oct 24th 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Frances!

God bless ya!:)

Frances
Oct 25th 2009, 05:50 PM
Genesis 6

What does the text say? - 'the sons of God ' fathered children born to the daughters of men producing giants. God was grieved because the people were very wicked and filled with violence; but Noah pleased Him. Did God limit mankind's lifespan to 120 years, or was He saying the flood would be in 120 years? God told Noah to build a box(ark) with 3 floors, a roof and a door, to accommodate his family and a male and female representative of every living thing that would come to him, plus the food they would all need when God flooded the earth to kill everything that breathed.

Application? - When God looks at me does He see wickedness or Christ-likeness. Do I please Him?? Do I obey God in everything? Would I do something highly visible for many years, that would bring derision against God from everyone else?

Note:- The Ark was about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. Babylonian tradition indicates that Noah's home was at Fara on the banks of the Euphrates. If that is so he would have known how essential it was to keep a boat watertight

Frances
Oct 26th 2009, 05:09 PM
Genesis 7

What does the text say? - God told Noah to move with his wife and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth and their wives, into the Ark - because he, alone, was righteous; he must also take into the Ark 7 pairs, male and female, of each bird and creature He had approved for eating and sacrifice, and 1 similar pair each of the others, as in 7 days it would begin to rain for 40 days and 40 nights and all life would be removed from the earth. So Noah did as God had said, then the Lord closed the door. Noah was 600 years old when the earth was flooded. It began to rain on the 17th day of the 2nd month when underground waters erupted and rain fell in torrents, continuing for 40 days and 40 nights. When it stopped raining the flood water was about 22 feet above the highest mountain peaks and everything that had lived on the land or in the air had died. The flood covered the earth for 150 days. Only Noah, his family and the creatures in the Ark with him were saved.

Application? - Do I trust God enough to follow His Instructions completely? Am I prepared to leave behind members of my family who won't go God's Way? or do I allow them to keep me from total obedience to Him and the Life He offers?

Note:- God offers Salvation through faith in Jesus and His Sacrifice for each individual - have I accepted His offer?

Frances
Oct 27th 2009, 04:11 PM
Genesis 8

What does the text say? - 150 days after the flood began the waters began receding.
On the 17th day of the 7th month the Ark rested on a mountain of Ararat.
On the 1st day of the 10th month the tops of the mountains were visible.
40 days later Noah released a raven and a dove, the dove returned but the raven continued flying to and fro.
7 days later Noah sent the dove out again. This time she returned with a fresh olive leaf in her mouth. 7 days later Noah sent the dove out again, and she did not return.
On the 1st day of the 1st month of Noah's 601st year the ground was visible and on the 27th day of the 2nd month the earth was dry.
Then God told Noah that every person and creature in the Ark must go, be fruitful and multiply - so they all left the Ark.
Noah built an altar to the Lord and sacrificed one of every approved animal and bird.
God determined not to curse the ground, and destroy every living thing again because people and their actions were evil; while the earth remains the cycles of day and night, summer and winter, heat and cold, seed-time and harvest will continue.

Application? - Do I trust God's Word and accept the ample evidence of a world-wide flood? eg. fossils of sea-creatures at the tops of mountains, the Grand Canyon created when the weight of water draining away cut through the strata laid down during the flood around trees that had floated upright (as happened in a few days at Mount St. Helens), fossils of fish, even a fish giving birth, making it obvious they had been buried rapidly.

GFR1718
Oct 27th 2009, 10:30 PM
Francis - I liked the way you studied the book of Genesis , using the inductive bible study method . You observed, interpreted , and applyed . I myself have read the bible many times over and I am still learning .

Frances
Oct 28th 2009, 04:42 PM
Genesis 9

What does the text say? - God Blessed Noah and his sons and told them to have many children who would populate the earth; He said every creature and bird would now fear mankind, for whom they would now be food - but their blood(life) must not be eaten. Every person or creature that kills another will have to answer to God and be killed in the same way. God established his Covenant with Noah and his descendants that never again will He bring a world-wide flood, and the reminder of that Covenant is the rainbow. Noah was a farmer and grew grape-vines, drank the wine, got drunk and lay naked in his tent. Ham (the father of Canaan) saw this and told his brothers who covered Noah without looking at him. When Noah awoke he 'knew what his younger son had done to him' so he cursed Canaan and blessed Shem and Japheth. Noah lived 350 years after the flood.

Application? - 'Every moving thing that lives' is suitable for food providing it's blood has been drained away. The penalty for killing a person is to be put to death. The rainbow is seen all over the earth to remind mankind that there will never be a world-wide flood again.

Note:- It has been suggested that Noah's reason for cursing Canaan was that Ham had performed sodomy on Noah while he was too drunk to stop him.

Quote:- (Dr. Henry H. Halley) "Babylonians, Assyrians, Egyptians, Persians, Hindus, Greeks, Chinese, Phrygians, Figi Islanders, Eskimos, American Indians, Brazilians, Indians, Peruvians, and indeed every branch of the whole human race, Semetic, Aryan, Turanian - have traditions of a Great Deluge that destroyed all mankind except for one family . . . and such a universal belief. . . must be based on historical fact."

Frances
Oct 29th 2009, 04:08 PM
Genesis 10

What does the text say? - A list of the nations descended from Noah after the flood.
Japheth's descendants included Gomer, Magog, Tubal, Meshech and Tarshish.
Ham's descendants included Canaan, the Jebusites, Amorites, Gira****es etc. and Nimrod.
Shem's descendants included Arphaxad, from whom Abraham was descended after 10 generations and 427 years.

Application? - Will my descendants be remembered? If so, what will they be remembered for? Will the way I live influence them for good or bad?

Note - Shem lived for 95 years before the flood to 150 years after Abraham's birth.(11:10) - Adam having lived 2 years before Abraham was born. Noah lived to the 9th generation of his own descendants.

Quote:- (Dr.Henry H. Halley) "The Japhethites settled in the regions round the Black and Caspian seas, and became the progenitors of Caucasian races of Europe and Asia.
The Hamites names seem to indicate South and central Arabia, Egypt, the east shore of the Mediterranean and the east coast of Africa. . . . Egypt was caled 'the land of Ham'. Khan, an Egyptian god (means) Ham. Egypt was called 'Mizraim' the name of Ham's son. Nimrod was a Hamite.
The Shemites included Jews, Assyrians, Syrians, and Elamites."

Frances
Oct 30th 2009, 05:26 PM
Genesis 11

What does the text say? - Everyone on earth spoke the same language. they decided to build a city with baked bricks and asphalt mortar, and a tower with it's top in the heavens. God changed the language each family group spoke, to encourage them to spread over the earth. So the place was called Babel(Babylon).
Shem, whose life overlapped Methuselah's by 98 years, had many descendants including Arphaxad 2 years after the flood whose children included Selah, whose children included Eber, whose children included Peleg Peleg's children included Reu, whose children included Serug, whose children included Nahor. Nahor's children included Terah, whose children included Abram who became Abraham (Gen.17:5) Nahor and Haran. Haran's children included Lot. Abram married Sarai and Nahor married Milchar,(Milchar and her sister Iscah were daughters of Nahor's brother Haran). Sarai did not become pregnant. Terah went to Haran in Canaan with Abram, Sarai and Lot, where Terah died.

Application? - Might I be an important link between the past and the future? Will the way I live affect future generations - for good or evil?

Quote (Henry H. Halley)"(It is) likely the actual site (of the Tower of Babel) was the centre of Babylon, identified with the ruins just north of the Marduk Temple. G.Smith found an ancient tablet reading 'The building of this illustrious tower offended the gods. In a night they threw down what they had built. They scattered them abroad and made strange their speech . . . . when standing it consisted of a number of successive platforms one on top of another, each smaller than the one below, a sanctuary to Marduk on top.''

Footnote to Babel. A group climbed over the mountains to the east and became the Chinese nation. They still use the picture language of ancient Egypt. Their symbol for "create" is made up of the symbols for 'mud', 'life' and 'walking'; the word for "devil" is made up of 'man', 'garden', and 'secret'; the word for "tempter" is made up of the word for 'devil', 'two trees' and 'cover'; the word for "boat" is made up of 'container', 'mouth' and 'eight' - so the word for 'boat' is a description of Noah's Ark.

soldout4God
Oct 31st 2009, 01:58 PM
I love the Genesis 5 genealogy name meanings.Because honestly, even though they are important I usally skim over them very quickly or I used to not read them at all. The footnotes of Babel, those were so intresting!! thanks!

Frances
Oct 31st 2009, 03:42 PM
Genesis 12

What does the text say? - God told Abram to leave his home and family, in Ur, and go to a land He would show him, then He would make Abram's descendants a great nation, through which every family on earth would be blessed. God Promised to Bless those who bless Abram and Sarai's family and to Curse those who cursed them. Abram was 75 years old (in about 2091BC) when he left Haran with Sarai, Lot and their posssessions and the people in their household, and went to Shechem in Canaan. The Lord Promised to give Abram's descendants that land. Abram built an altar there, then moved on to the east of Bethel and built an altar to the Lord between Bethel and Ai; then continued moving south. During a severe famine Abram went to Egypt - where the people were likely to kill Abram to possess his wife, so he asked Sarai to say she was his sister (she was his half-sister). Pharoah took Sarai into his home and treated Abram well for her sake. The Lord sent plagues on Pharoah and his household because of Sarai, so Pharoah sent Abram and his possessions out of the country when he discovered Sarai was Abram's wife.

Application? - Do I do what God tells me regardless of the difficulties involved? Do I trust God's Word however unlikely it may seem? Do I bless the descendants of Abram and Sarai? Do I leave 'an altar to the Lord' wherever I go? Have I, inadvertently, done something to annoy God? Have I repented?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) " Abram was not an idolater but lived in a world of idolatry. Ur was in Babylonia, which had many gods and goddesses as they were worshippers of fire, sun, moon, stars and various forces of nature. Nimrod. . .was recognised as the chief Babylonian deity. The common form of his name was Marduk. Ningal was the moon-godess of Ur . . . and was worshipped as the mother-godess, Nineveh was named after her. Her commonest name was Ishtar. . . the deification of sex passion . . . her worship required sacred prostitution . . .every maid, wife or widow had to officiate at least once in these rites in her lifetime."

Frances
Nov 1st 2009, 03:23 PM
Genesis 13

What does the text say? - Abram went to the Negev with Sarai, Lot and all he had. He was very rich in livestock, silver and gold. He continued on his journey to the altar he had built between Bethel and Ai. Lot also had flocks and herds. Abram asked Lot to keep their animals further apart and to choose where he would like to go. Lot chose to go to the plains of the Jordan. Abram lived in Canaan and Lot went to Sodom, where the men were very wicked(it was before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah). God Promised to give Abram and his descendants all the land he could see, and make his descendants as numerous as the dust of the earth. Then Abram went to Hebron and built an altar to the Lord.

Application? - Sometimes the Lord allows (encourages?) strife to separate people. Do I trust the Lord to ensure I receive all He intends me to have? or do I try to manipulate others to get what I consider best for myself? Do I risk being led from the Lord's Way by the company I keep? Do I trust God to keep His Word in spite of what appear to be insurmountable difficulties? Does my life encourage others to worship the Lord?

Quote:- (David Pawson) "The Promised Land is about the same size as Wales, but it includes every kind of climate and scenery . . . the place most like England is just south of Tel Aviv. Carmel, in the north, is known as 'Little Switzerland'. Just 10 minutes from Carmel you can sit among Palm trees . . . All the flora and fauna of Europe, Africa and Asia can be found in Israel . . . . In Biblical times the wild animals included lions, bears, crocodiles and camels. It seems as if the whole world was somehow squeezed into one small country.

Frances
Nov 2nd 2009, 07:05 PM
Genesis 14

What does the text say? - Lot was living in Sodom when he and his goods were captured and taken beyond Damascus. Someone escaped and told Abram, so he armed his 318 trained servants, who had been born into his household, and went in pursuit, he divided his servants and attacked by night releasing Lot and his goods as well as the women and other captives. Melchizidek, king of Salem (Jerusalem) came out to meet Abram, who gave him a tithe (10%) of all the goods he had recovered. The king of Sodom told Abram to keep the rest of the goods, but Abram refused to take anything at all, but accepted what was due to the men of Aner, Eshcol and Mamre who had gone with him.

Application? - Am I willing to rescue folk foolish enough to choose to live among evil people? Do I give God 10% of all I earn? Do I realise what may be required of me if I accept gifts from those who do not worship God?

Note:- An interesting Hebrew tradition says Melchizedek was Shem, Noah's son, if so God had already chosen Jerusalem to be the scene of human Redemption.

Frances
Nov 3rd 2009, 05:32 PM
Genesis 15

What does the text say? - The Lord came to Abram in a Vision saying "Do not be afraid, as I am your Shield and exceedingly great reward'. Abram was concerned, as he had no offspring so whatever he was given would go to his servant. God Promised Abram that he would father a child to be his heir, and his descendants would be a numerous as the stars. Abram trusted the Lord in spite of the physical improbability of it ever happening which the Lord regarded as Righteousness. God Promised to give the land of Canaan to Abram for his descendants to inherit, Abram wanted proof of this, so God told him to bring a heifer, a female goat, a turtledove and a pigeon all 3 years old. Abram cut the animals down the middle, but not the birds, and laid the halves opposite each other, and chased the vultures away. When the sun was setting Abram slept and had a nightmare in which God said his descendants would live in a land they didn't own and be treated badly for 400 years, before God punished their oppressors, then Abram's descendants would leave with great possessions; before that Abram would die at a good age and join his ancestors. The 4th generation of Abram's descendants would return to that land when the Amorites were wicked enough to earn God's Punishment. When it became dark a flaming torch and smoking oven passed between the pieces of the animals and birds Abram had prepared. The Lord made a Covenant with Abram, saying He had given him the land from the river Nile to the river Euphrates - the land occupied by the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites, the Hitittes, the Perizzites, the Rephaim, the Ammonites, the Canaanites, the Girga****es and the Jebusites.

Application? - Do I believe God, the Creator of all things, has the right to give a piece of land in, perpetuity, to the descendants of one who pleases Him? Do I believe that 4000 years later those descendants still have the right to that land? Do I realise that actions of one of my ancestors could be having an effect on my life today? Do I realise my actions could affect future generations for good or ill?

Frances
Nov 4th 2009, 05:12 PM
Genesis 16

What does the text say? - Hagar was Sarai's Egyptian maidservant. As Sarai had not borne any children, she suggested to Abram that he should produce the child (for her - Sarai) God had Promised, with Hagar. They had lived in Canaan 10 years when Abram had sexual relations with Hagar and she became pregnant; then Hagar treated Sarai with contempt. Sarai blamed Abram for Hagar's contempt of her; Abram told Sarai to deal with her servant as she saw fit. Then Sarai treated Hagar so badly that Hagar ran away. The Lord met Hagar and told her to return to her mistress, and that she was carrying a boy in her womb who she must name Ishmael(God Hears), he would be a wild man who would produce many descendants he would be as untamed as a wild donkey - he would be against everyone and everyone would be against him.. Abram was 86years old when Ishmael was born.

Application? - Do I always wait for God to fulfill His Promises to me, or decide to 'help' Him? Will my 'help' have similar long-term, disastrous, consequences to Abram's? Do I treat anyone with contempt? Am I willing to submit to harsh treatment when doing the Lord's Will? God keeps His Promises. I will never be too old to make disastrous decisions that will have long-term results.

Frances
Nov 5th 2009, 04:46 PM
Genesis 17

What does the text say? - The Lord appeared to Abram when he was 99 years old saying that He would make a Covenant with him to give him many descendants, and the land of Canaan as an everlasting possession, if he obeyed God. Circumcision of every male child would be the sign of the Covenant between them. God re-named Abram and Sarai, Abraham and Sarah to signify they would be the parents of many nations. Abraham, knowing the improbability of himself at 100 and Sarah at 90 having a son, Abraham suggested Ishmael should receive the Promise, but God said He Promise was to Isaac, the son Sarah would bear, and the covenant would be with his descendants. Abraham and every male in his household were circumsized that day.

Application? - God always keeps His Promises - do I? Is my obedience to God enabling me to receive all He has Promised me? Do I obey God instantly? Do I continue to trust Him in spite of appearances and human frailty?

Frances
Nov 6th 2009, 05:13 PM
Genesis 18

What does the text say? - the Lord appeared to Abraham with two others, as he sat beside the door of his tent. Abraham offered them a meal of meat and bread, which they accepted and he stood by them as they ate. The Lord said He would return in a year when Sarah would have a son. Sarah laughed, then denied that she had, but nothing is too hard for the Lord. The Lord told Abraham he was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorra because of the excessive wickedness of the people. Abraham was concerned that the righteous would be destroyed with the sinful so argued on their behalf. Eventually the Lord agreed not to proceed with the destruction if he found 10 righteous people there.

Application? - Do I offer hospitality to strangers(Heb.13:2)? Do I regard anything as impossible for God? Do I plead with the Lord for the protection of His obedient people?

JohnH
Nov 7th 2009, 07:50 AM
On the book of Genesis itself... it is the foundation (ground floor) blueprint of the house of scripture. Revelation is the roof. In both are found some semblance of the major layout of scripture as in the floorplan of a house the foundation and the roof would have semblance of the overall shape of the house and where the rooms and walls would go.

In Genesis you have the foundation of every major doctrine and truth and prophecy (expounded upon in the books within the Bible). Incidentally... there are 70 books (not 66) when you count the Psalms as 5 book instead of 1.

The deity of Christ Genesis 1:1 (later expounded upon in John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:13-18, Isaiah 44:24 which indicates that the Word alone (who became flesh) did all the creating except for that of the body in which he would be manifested in the incarnation (Hebrews 10:5-9... and what is meant by the overlooked expression "only begotten of the Father" in John 1:14 meaning the only thing the Father created was the body of the Son).

The humanity of Christ is in:

Genesis 3:15
15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

The seed of the woman (Israel see Revelation 12 and verify it [once again in Genesis] in Genesis 37:9-10)... and the reference to the foot which often depicts the human life in scripture (our "walk" for example, and having feet swift to sin, etc.) the heel getting struck means death but the crushing of the head means death to the authority as well as the death of the seed of the serpent.

Joseph son of Jacob prophetically depicts the Messiah Jesus in a hundred ways. All in Genesis. The crucifixion is prophetically acted out in Genesis 22. Note the elements of wood, a donkey, being bound and the location of the crucifixion some1800-2000 years later.

Genesis is the basis of several creation science organizations (Institute for Creation Research ICR.org to name one and their Back to Genesis series).

The great tribulation and the great prosperity are found in Genesis during the sojourn in Egypt.

Frances
Nov 7th 2009, 05:50 PM
Genesis 19

What does the text say? - When the 2 angels reached Sodom Lot invited them to stay with him overnight for their safety. Before they went to bed all the men of the town surrounded Lot's house, demanding to have the 2 ‘men' to rape. Lot offered his 2 virgin daughters instead (!!!) so they threatened Lot with the same treatment, but the angels pulled him back inside and blinded the men. The angels told Lot to take his family away from Sodom as it was going to be destroyed. Lot's sons in law wouldn't go so he eventually took just his 2 unmarried daughters and his wife. It was morning before Lot reached Zoar, but his wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt when the Lord rained fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorra. Lot was afraid to stay in Zoar so took his 2 daughters to live in a cave, where his daughters made him drunk and became pregnant by him - though he had no knowledge of his actions. Their sons became the founders of the Moabites and Ammonites.

Application? - Do I willingly live among evil people? Do I give hospitality to strangers. Do I try to protect others from evil? Are my morals questionable? Do I value men more highly than women? ? Do I hesitate, when I should be obeying the Lord for my own protection? Do I ever (mistakenly) think I must do evil to achieve good? If so, I may never know all the harm I have caused to succeeding generations.

Note:- In 1924 Dr's Albright and Kyle found 5 fresh water oasis 500ft. above the south west corner of the Dead Sea at Bab-ed-Dra, the remains of a great fortified enclosure, evidently a 'high place' for religious festivals between 2050BC and 2000BC, indicating the region was highly populated and the population ended abruptly about 2000BC because of a cataclysm that changed the soil and the climate. It is thought that Sodom and Gomorra were built near these oases and are now covered by the Dead Sea.

JohnH
Nov 8th 2009, 02:38 AM
Interesting.

And the amount of S&G that got into the daughters of Lot are apparent in their act of incest. I have heard feminists blast Lot for this or call it a good old boys cover up in the Bible... but the text clearly states he was oblivious because he was so intoxicated. The NT later refers to Lot as righteous. So it was his daughters' doing thought I suppose Lot is responsible for their upbringing in S&G.

What I find most interesting is how the girls rationalize their sin. He must be he last man on earth... so to preserve his line...

We sinners do this all the time. We whitewash our own sin while we crucify others for the same sin. I love how the Bible pulls no punches. Human nature is raw and unmasked in scripture.

Frances
Nov 8th 2009, 09:11 PM
Genesis 20

What does the text say? - Abraham went south from Mamre and stayed near Gerar, a Philistine city where he said Sarah was his sister. Abimelech, the king of Gerar, had Sarah taken to him (in spite of her age!) but God prevented him from touching her, then told Abimelech in a dream she was Abraham's wife, and that if he didn't restore her to Abraham he, and all his people, would die. Abimelech sent for Abraham who admitted Sarah was his wife, and that when they had left Ur he had asked Sarah to tell people a half-truth, that she was his sister, to protect him. Abimelech gave Abraham sheep, goats, cattle, also male and female servants (slaves?) and 1,000 pieces of silver; he told Abraham he could stay in the land. Then Abraham prayed to God and He Healed Abimelech, his wife and his female servants who He had made infertile because of what happened to Sarah.

Application? - Do I ever tell half truths(lies), assuming the truth would cause me problems? Will God ensure lies I tell will be revealed? Have I caused others to suffer by telling 'little white lies'?

Frances
Nov 9th 2009, 05:22 PM
Genesis 21

What does the text say? - The Lord Healed Sarah's inability to conceive and she bore Abraham a son, when he was 100 years old and she was 90. Abraham called the boy Isaac (literally 'laughter') and circumsized him when he was 8 days old (about 2066BC). Abraham gave a great feast when Isaac was weaned (probably about 5 years old). Sarah wanted to ensure Isaac inherited all Abraham's wealth so insisted that Hagar and Ishmael were sent away, which displeased Abraham. God told Abraham that He had instigated what Sarah had said and would ensure Ishmael became the father of a great nation, so he sent Hagar and Ishmael away. When he was old enough Hagar got Ishmael an Egyptian wife. Abraham made a covenant with Abimelech not to harm his descendants; then Abraham told him his servants had seized a well Abraham had dug, so Abimelech made a covenant saying the well belonged to Abraham - who called the place Beersheba, planted a Tamarisk tree and worshipped God there.

Application? - Do I trust the Lord to keep His Promises to me? Do I always obey God, even when doing so is emotionally difficult? Do I realise the reason I have to make difficult decisions today may be my past un-Godly actions? Do I treat well the descendants of those who have helped me in the past? Do I really worship the Lord, the everlasting God?

Frances
Nov 10th 2009, 08:33 PM
Genesis 22

What does the text say? - God tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice Isaac to Him (as the pagans sacrificed their children), so Abraham set out to the place of God's choice with Isaac. When they arrived 3 days later Abraham told the servants to wait with the donkey while he and Isaac went to worship God, saying they would come back. Isaac carried the wood for the sacrifice while Abraham took the fire and the knife, he told Isaac God would provide a sacrifice. When they arrived Abraham built an altar, bound Isaac and put him on the altar (as Isaac was big and strong enough to carry the wood he must have been willing to be the sacrifice). Abraham was about to kill Isaac when the Lord stopped him telling him not to harm his son, now that He now knew Abraham was totally loyal to Him. Abraham then saw a ram caught in a thicket by it's horns and offered it on the altar instead of Isaac, calling the place Jehoveh Jireh (the Lord Provides). the Lord Promised to Bless Abraham and his descendants who would be as numerous as the sand on the sea shore, rule over their enemies, and every nation would be blessed through them, because he had obeyed God. After this Abraham heard that his brother Nahor had 12 sons, and one of his granddaughters was Rebekah.

Application? - My obedience to God, or lack of it, will affect people in future generations. Am I willing to give the Lord what is most precious to me? Love for which person or thing would prevent me obeying the Lord? Do I always trust the Lord to provide everything I need to do His Will.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)"the offering of Isaac was a picture prophecy of the death of Christ. A father offering his son, the son dead for 3 days (in Abraham's mind), a substitution and an actual sacrifice. Also it was on Mount Moriah, the very same place that,2000 years later God's own Son was offered."

Frances
Nov 11th 2009, 05:01 PM
Genesis 23

What does the text say? - Sarah lived 127 years then died in Hebron. Abraham paid 400 shekels of silver for Ephron's cave of Machpelah and the field it was in, to bury Sarah, and it was deeded to him.

Application? - Am I prepared for the life I will, inevitably, go to after my death on earth? Would I be willing to sell what someone else needs, even if I had prepared it for my own use?

Quote:- (Baedeker's Israel)"after the Jews were forced into exile in Babylon, Edomites from the Negev settled in Hebron in the 6th century BC. They ruled there until in 163BC Judas Maccabaeus attacked them. Herod the great rebuilt the city and constructed the great building over the Machpelah cave which exists to the present day. . . . In 1980 Jews gained access to the shrine for the first time in 700years . . . the graves of the Patriachs in the burial cave is not open to visitors."

Frances
Nov 12th 2009, 05:08 PM
Genesis 24

What does the text say? - Abraham sent his steward to his brother Nahor's family in Mesopotamia to get a wife for Isaac, as he was determined that Isaac must not marry a Canaanite, or leave Canaan, the land God had Promised him. When the steward arrived at the city where Nahor lived he waited with his 10 camels and servants beside the well. He prayed that the girl He chose to be Isaac's wife would give him a drink and offer to water his camels too. Rebekah, Nahor's granddaughter came to fetch water, gave the steward a drink and offered to water his camels as well. Abraham's steward gave Rebekah jewelry, asked who she was and asked if there was room in her father's house for them to lodge; she said there was, and ran to tell her family. Laban, Rebekah's brother, invited Abrahm's steward his servants and camels to spend the night with them. He told Rebekah's father and brother why he was there and they gave him Rebekah to be Isaacs wife, so he gave valuable presents to Rebekah's mother and brother. Rebekah agreed to leave next day with her nurse and maids. When they arrived at Beer Lahai Roi where Isaac lived, Rebeka became his wife and he loved her.

Application? - It is very important for those who worship the One true God to marry someone who does too. Verse 27 "being on the way the Lord led me" - I must be moving with God to be led by Him. Am I willing to do what is God’s Will whatever that may be? Would I leave home and family to fulfill God's Purpose for me like Rebekah? Am I prepared to wait at home for the Lord to supply my needs like Isaac?

Note:- If Isaac had married an idol worshipper the whole history of Israel and all Christendom would have been very different.

Frances
Nov 13th 2009, 05:56 PM
Genesis 25

What does the text say? - Abraham married Kenturah who bore him 6 sons. Abraham also had concubines, and gave all their children gifts, and sent them away before he died at 175 years, and he gave all he had left to Isaac. Abraham was buried in Machpelah's cave by Isaac and Ishmael, then Isaac lived by the well Lahai Roi. Ishmael lived 137 years , his 12 sons camped from Havilah to Shur, east of Egypt on the way toward Assyria. Isaac was 40 years old when Rebekah became his wife; she was barren until Isaac prayed to the Lord for her, then bore him twin sons ( about 2006BC). The first was covered in hair so was called Esau(hairy) the second had hold of Esau's heel so was called Jacob. Isaac favoured Esau and Rebekah favoured Jacob. Esau became a skillful hunter, but Jacob was of a different disposition. Esau sold his birthright to Jacob for some of the stew Jacob had cooked.

Application? - Have I ensured my possessions are/will be divided in ways that please the Lord? Favouring one child over another in a family may cause antagonism in the future (as Isaac and Rebekah discovered). Do I despise my Christian Birthright? No one can buy the right to be Born into Christ's family by any amount of 'good works' - that Birth right can only be received by faith in Who Jesus is and what He has done on the cross.

Note:- One of Kentura's son Midian's descendants was the woman Moses married about 500 years later.

Frances
Nov 14th 2009, 05:33 PM
Genesis 26

What does the text say? - There was a famine and the Lord told Isaac not to go to Egypt but to stay in Canaan, the land He had Promised to give to Abraham's descendants, because he had kept His Commandments, statutes and laws. Isaac stayed in the Philistine town Gerar and told the men there Rebekah was his sister. After a long time Abimelech, the king of the Philistines discovered the truth and gave Isaac his protection. The Lord Blessed Isaac each year and he became very prosperous, so the Philistines envied him on account of his flocks, herds and the number of his servants, so Abimelech told him to go away. Isaac went and reopened the wells Abraham had dug and the Philistines had filled in, then he went to Beersheba - where the Lord appeared to him and Promised to Bless him and his descendants for Abraham's sake. Isaac built an altar and dug a well there, also he made a treaty with Abimelech. When Esau was 40 years old he married 2 Hittite girls, who caused much grief to Isaac and Rebekah.

Application? - Do I follow the Lord's Guidance regarding where I live regardless of circumstances? Do I realise that every good thing I have is a Blessing from the Lord? Does the way the Lord Blesses me when I am obedient to Him, cause others to see me as a threat? Godly parents will be caused much grief when their children marry those who don't worship God

Frances
Nov 15th 2009, 04:19 PM
Genesis 27

What does the text say? - When Isaac was old and blind he asked Esau to go hunting, kill some game and make him a stew with it before he gave Esau his blessing. Rebekah heard, and conspired with Jacob to deceive Isaac into giving Jacob his blessing instead. When Esau returned he discovered his father had made Jacob the master of both he, and his brothers. Esau hated Jacob and intended to kill him when Isaac died, so Rebekah told Jacob to go to her brother Laban in Haran, and she complained to Isaac about Esau's wives.

Application? - Have I made a legal and binding Will? or do I assume (maybe wrongly) that I have plenty of time left? Could I be deceived? Could such a deception cause antagonism in my family?

Quote:- (David Pawson) "Esau went to live in the place we now call Petra . . . it was here Esau founded the nation of Edom. The hatred between Ishmael and Isaac still exists . . .in the hatred between Arab and Jew, but the hatred between Esau and Jacob has disappeared. the last Edomites were known by the name Herod, and it was a descendant of Esau who was king of the Jews when Jesus was born . . . he killed all the baby boys in Bethlehem to try to get rid of the descendant of Jacob who was born to be King."

Frances
Nov 16th 2009, 06:34 PM
Genesis 28

What does the text say? - Isaac gave Jacob his blessing to go to his uncle Laban's home and marry one of his cousins, but he was on no account to marry a Canaanite girl. So Jacob went to Padan Aram (about 400 miles away) to his mother's brother. Esau married again, one of Ishmael's daughters. The night Jacob slept at Luz he dreamed he saw angels of God going up and down a ladder between earth and heaven; the Lord was at the top and said "I am the God of Abraham and Isaac" and Promised to give Jacob and his descendants that land, saying that all the families on earth would be blessed through his family also the Lord Promised to be with Jacob wherever he went and to bring him back to that land. When he awoke Jacob renamed Luz 'Bethel'(house of God) and vowed that the Lord would be his God if He looked after him as he traveled and fulfilled his needs. Also, Jacob promised to give God back a tenth (a tithe) of everything He gave him.

Application? - Did I realise the importance of ensuring the one I married also worshipped the One true God the Father of my Lord Jesus Christ? or have I allowed myself to be led away from Him by my spouse? Do I give God a tenth of all my income?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) "Jacob is thought to have been 77 at this time. He was 15 when Abraham died . . . 84 when he married, 90 when Joseph was born, 98 when he returned to Canaan, 120 when Isaac died, 130 when he went to Egypt, 147 when he died. His first 77 years were spent n Canaan, the next 20 in Haran, then 33 in Canaan, with the last 17 in Egypt

Frances
Nov 17th 2009, 05:30 PM
Genesis 29

What does the text say? - Jacob met his cousin Rachel when she took her father's sheep to the well to drink. He stayed with his uncle Laban a month, then they agreed Jacob would work for Laban 7 years to marry Rachel. After 7 years and the wedding feast Laban took Leah to Jacob's bed instead of Rachel. In the morning Jacob discovered the deception. Laban said it was because the younger daughter could not be married before the elder, but after a week he would give Jacob Rachel for his wife as well if he would work another 7 years. Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah. Leah bore Jacob 4 sons but Rachel was barren.

Application? - Jacob discovered something of the pain his deception had caused his brother and father. He was reaping what he had sown. Have I ever deceived anyone to achieve my own way? If so, I earned the pain of being deceived myself. Have I, unkowingly, been deceived by those who twist Scripture even ever so slightly? Do I always check what I read, or am told, Scripture says or means, against a reliable translation from the original texts? or do I rather foolishly rely on a loose paraphrase?

elmer
Nov 18th 2009, 03:46 AM
Frances, I like the questions you are asking during these studies. There is another point that you may be overlooking. What do you think about your ability to let God guide your life? Jacob had made a commitment to God in chapter 28.20-22. He now falls in love with a woman, then commits adultry to be able to marry her. How strong was his commitment to God? I have to ask myself, on occasion if I am trying to rush God. Or maybe is my happiness today worth running ahead of my Father? Just thought I would throw that out there.
Elmer

Frances
Nov 18th 2009, 05:50 PM
Genesis 30

What does the text say? - Leah and Rachel both encouraged Jacob to sleep with their maids to produce children for them. Eventually Rachel bore a son, and called him Joseph. Laban agreed that Jacob's wages would be all the sheep and goats that were not completely white. By deceit Jacob increased his flocks with the strongest animals, and became very prosperous; he had large flocks, male and female servants, and camels and donkeys.

Application? - Does my former behaviour encourage competitiveness in my family and cause discord? Do I seek to increase my income by shady dealing?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "This polygamous family, with many shameful things to their credit, was accepted by God . . . this shows:-
1) God uses human beings as they are to serve His Purposes.
2) This does not indicate that everyone God uses will be eternally Saved. (Romans 2: 12 - 16)
3) It is a testimony to the truthfulness of the Bible writers. No other book relates with such candor the weaknesses of it's heroes, and things so contrary to ideals which it aims to promote."

Frances
Nov 19th 2009, 05:33 PM
Genesis 31

What does the text say? - Jacob realised Laban and his sons were grieved because they thought he was wealthy at their expense, even though Laban had tried to cheat him many times. God told Jacob in a dream to return to Canaan. Rachel and Leah agreed to go, so they left while Laban was away. Rachel took her father's idols, but Jacob didn't know. Laban and his relatives overtook Jacob 7 days later - after God had told Laban not to harm Jacob. Laban was angry that his idols had been taken. Jacob said whoever had the idols must die - cursing Rachel. When Rachel's tent was searched she sat on the idols, saying she couldn't get up as she was menstruating, so the idols were not found. Laban and Jacob built a pile of stones as a witness between them, and called the place Mizpah(watch) and Laban said "the Lord watch between you and me when we are absent from each other". They agreed that neither of them would go beyond those stones to harm the other (it was not a blessing but a statement of lack of trust), they ate together, and in the morning Laban and his relatives returned home.

Application? - Do I go where, and when, God tells me? Do I trust God alone, or only in conjunction with an idol (like Rachel)? Do I have each member of my family's best interests at heart, or only if it answers my purposes? Without realising it Jacob cursed Rachel do I, unknowingly, curse those I love? Do I need to be more careful what I say? Would Rachel have lived longer if she had given back her father's idols? 'Mizpah' is not a sign of friendship, but of a truce.

Frances
Nov 20th 2009, 04:40 PM
Genesis 32

What does the text say? - As Jacob arrived on the borders of the Promised land he was met by God's angels, and he called that place Mahanaim (double camp). Jacob sent messengers to Esau in Edom(Petra) to say he was returning with his flocks, herds, and servants; they returned to say Esau was coming too with 400 men. Jacob was afraid and divided his animals in two in case Esau attacked them. Then Jacob prayed to the God of Abraham and Isaac asking for His Protection. Jacob sent presents to Esau of 200 male and 200 female goats, 200 ewes and 20 rams, 30 milking camels with their colts, 40 cows and 10 bulls, 20 female donkeys and 10 foals. Jacob told his servants to keep some distance between each sort of animal, and to ensure Esau knew they were presents for Jacob, then he sent his family across the brook and stayed alone. Jacob wrestled with God all night, in the morning God dislocated Jacob's hip and renamed him Israel (prince with God). Jacob called that place Peniel(Face of God). Ever since then the Children of Israel do not eat the muscle on the hip socket.

Application? - Do I fear retribution for past Sins? Do I try to buy forgiveness in some way? (perhaps by good behaviour in the present?) Do I recognise my need for God in my life, and that the only way that can be achieved is through Jesus Christ? Do I have a physical reminder of fighting with God?

Note:- When Jacob left Canaan God and His angels were there (28:12) and also welcomed him back(32:1).

Frances
Nov 21st 2009, 05:48 PM
Genesis 33

What does the text say? - Jacob saw Esau coming with 400 men, so he went to meet him with the maidservants and their children behind him, then Leah and her children, and lastly Rachel and Joseph. Joseph bowed to the ground 7 times before he met Esau, but Esau ran to meet him, embraced him, and asked what all the animals he'd passed meant. Jacob explained they were a present and urged Esau to accept them, which he eventually did. Esau suggested they went on together, but Jacob was afraid too fast a pace would be detrimental to the animals and youngsters so they parted. Esau returned to Seir, Jacob went to Succoth where he built a house and shelter for his animals; eventually he went to Shechem where he bought some land and erected an altar, worshipping 'God, the God of Israel'.

Application? - Does guilt cause me to fear those who, now, intend me no harm? Do my actions regarding my family make my favouritism clear? Does my consideration for those weaker than myself guide my actions? Do I publicly worship God for His many Blessings? If not does God accept my excuse as a good reason?

Frances
Nov 22nd 2009, 05:02 PM
Genesis 34

What does the text say? - Jacob and Leah's daughter Dinah was raped by Hamor the Hivite's son Shechem, who then decided he wanted to marry her. Hamor and Shechem went to Jacob and his sons suggesting intermarriage between the two tribes. Jacob's sons, bearing in mind that Shechem had defiled their sister, were equally deceitful and said intermarriage was only possible if all the Hivite men were circumcised. Hamor and Shechem agreed, and persuaded all the men of the town to agree as well. Three days after they were circumcised and were very sore, Simeon and Levi went and killed every man and took Dinah home. The rest of Jacob's sons took all the valuables and livestock and took the women and children captive. Jacob was angry with Simeon and Levi, fearing repercussions from the Canaanites and Perizzites, but his sons were unrepentant.

Application? - Injustice cannot be corrected by deceit without the possibility of repercussions. In Dinah's place what would my reaction to marriage to Shechem have been? (:eek:)

Frances
Nov 23rd 2009, 04:45 PM
Genesis 35

What does the text say? - God told Jacob to go to live at Bethel and build Him an altar there. Jacob told his household to get rid of their idols and purify themselves - so they gave him all their idols and earrings, which he buried. Deborah, Rebekah's nurse died and was buried at Bethel. God appeared to Jacob and Blessed him, renaming him Israel and confirming His Promise 20 years earlier, to give the land of Canaan to him and his descendants in perpetuity. Jacob built a stone memorial marking the place God spoke to him. When they were on the way to Ephrath(Bethlehem) Rachel died after the difficult birth of her second son - Benjamin. Jacob discovered Reuben had laid with Bilhah his father's concubine. Jacob arrived at Mamre(Hebron) before Isaac died when he was 180 years old; he was buried by Esau and Jacob.

Application? - If I assossiate with those who worship idols it will not stop God speaking to me; but I may not heed what He says. Are earrings a form of idol? Am I willing to get rid of everything in my life that displeases God? The effectiveness of God's Promises does not diminish with time, so Canaan still belongs to the descendants of Jacob/Israel. Jacob had said the one who stole Laban's idols would die - and Rachel died; I need to be very careful of what I say. What memorials do I put in place to remind me of what God has said to me?

Frances
Nov 24th 2009, 05:51 PM
Genesis 36

What does the text say? - Esau's descendants were the Edomites who had all moved when Jacob returned to Canaan, because the land would not support both lots of livestock.

Application? - It is easy to see how any of Esau's descendants might have had a grudge against Jacob and his descendants - as they undoubtedly knew how Jacob had acquired Esau's birthright and blessing (from Esau's biased point of view). Do I resent the good fortune of any relatives - however distant - because of real, or imagined, hurts? Would it be wise to determine to forgive and ignore those hurts, and to live in friendship and love?

Frances
Nov 25th 2009, 04:50 PM
Genesis 37

What does the text say? - Jacob loved Joseph more than his other sons. When Joseph was 17 years old he worked with the sons of his father's concubines, and told Jacob the bad things they were doing. Jacob made/gave Joseph a multi-coloured garment. Joseph dreamed that his brothers sheaves of corn bowed down to his sheaf, on another occasion he dreamed that the sun, moon and eleven stars bowed down to him he told the dreams to his father and brothers, displeasing them. When his brothers were feeding the flocks in Shechem (about 60 miles away from Hebron, as the crow flies) Jacob sent Joseph to find out how they were getting on. When wandering near Shechem Joseph was told his brothers had gone on to Dothan, so went there. When Joseph's brothers saw him coming they conspired to kill him, but Reuben persuaded them to drop him into a dry pit intending to rescue him. While they ate some Ishmaelites carrying spices to Egypt came and Judah suggested selling Joseph to them instead of killing him. Joseph was sold for 20 pieces of silver but Reuben didn't know of the sale. The brothers killed a kid, soaked Joseph's robe in it's blood and sent it to Jacob, asking if it was Joseph's, he assumed Joseph had been killed by wild animals. Joseph was sold in Egypt to Potiphar, the captain of Pharoah's palace guard.

Application? - Does my obvious favouritism of a family member cause others to dislike them? Displaying favoritism may cause me, and them, great distress in future. Do I control my dislike of another person or allow it to develop into hatred and harm them? Would I seek to profit from my hatred? Would I lie to avert suspicion from myself? God will ensure I face my Sin one day.

Frances
Nov 26th 2009, 05:59 PM
Genesis 38

What does the text say? - Judah went to live in Adullam and married a Canaanite woman called Shua who bore him 3 sons, Er, Onan and Shelah; he aquired Tamar as Er's wife. Er died so, as was the custom, Tamar was then married to his brother Onan to 'raise up an heir for Er' but he always let his semen fall on the ground - and died too. Judah sent Tamar back to her father, saying it was until Shelah was old enough to marry. Judah's wife had died and eventually realising Judah had no intention of letting her marry Shelah, when Tamar heard he was passing that way she dressed as a prostitute with her face covered and sat by the road. Judah laid with Tamar, and left his staff, signet and cord until he sent a young goat as payment, but when his friend returned with the payment 'the prostitute' could not be found. Some months later Judah was told Tamar was pregnant, so ordered her to be burnt. Tamar sent Judah his staff, signet and cord, saying the owner of them was her child's father. Judah acknowledged his sin but never laid with her again. Tamar had twin sons, Perez and Zerah.

Application? - Jesus Christ's earthly mother was married to Joseph, a descendant of Perez(Like 3 33). I am not disqualified from serving God , and being honoured by Him, by the actions of my ancestors, no matter what un-Godly actions they may have indulged in. Before God I stand alone.

Frances
Nov 28th 2009, 04:32 PM
Genesis 40

What does the text say? – Pharaoh's chief butler(cup-bearer) and chief baker offended him, so he sent them to the prison where Joseph was. Three days before Pharaoh's birthday they both had dreams. The butler dreamed that a vine had 3 branches that blossomed and bore ripe grapes, and he squeezed the juice into Pharaoh's cup and gave him to drink. God gave Joseph the interpretation of the dream - it meant that in 3 days the butler would return to his former post; Joseph told the butler the reason he was in prison and asked the butler to tell Pharaoh of his predicament. The chief baker told Joseph he dreamed he had 3 baskets on his head and birds came and ate the bread in the top basket; Joseph said it meant that in 3 days he would be decapitated and his body hung on a tree for the birds to eat his flesh. Three days later the interpretations Joseph had given came true - but the butler forgot about Joseph.

Application? - If dreams trouble me do I ask God what they mean? Do I remember to act for those who ask me to? Do I always pray for those who rely on my prayers - or do I forget?

Note:- In my experience the only dreams that are meaningful will be repeated regularly until I act on them, and the Lord makes clear what action is necessary without a third party.

Frances
Nov 29th 2009, 04:12 PM
Genesis 41

What does the text say? - Two years later Pharaoh dreamed that 7 fat cows and 7 skinny cows came out of the river, then the 7 skinny cows ate the 7 fat cows; also he dreamed of 7 plump ears of corn and 7 thin ears that devoured the 7 fat ears. Pharaoh asked all his wise men the meaning of his dreams, but no one knew. Then Pharaoh's butler remembered Joseph and told Pharaoh that Joseph had correctly interpreted the dreams he and the baker had in prison. Pharaoh sent for Joseph, who ensured Pharaoh knew that only God could interpret the dream correctly. When Pharaoh told of his dreams Joseph said God had told Pharaoh what He would do. There would be 7 years of plenty followed by 7 years of famine, the repetition of the dream indicated it would soon come to pass. Joseph advised conserving food during the good years to be used in the times of famine. Then 30 year old Joseph was made ruler of Egypt, under Pharaoh who re-named him Zaphnath-Paaneah and gave him a wife. Joseph ensured vast amounts of grain were stored in the years of plenty, during which his wife bore him 2 sons, Manasseh and Ephraim. When later the famine was severe Joseph sold grain to the people of Egypt, and other nations too, as the famine was widespread.

Application? - If I repeatedly have the same dream do I ask God what it means? Do I act on the understanding He gives? Do I, like Pharaoh, accept that others may have more ability than I have? Do I ensure those people are able to use that ability to benefit others?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) "Brugsh, in his 'Egypt under the Pharaohs' tells of an inscription . . . in a family rock-cut tomb of a certain Baba, governor of the city of El-Kab, south of Thebes . . . there is an inscription in which Baba claims to have done for his city what the Bible says Joseph did for all Egypt. Brugsch says 'since famines in Egypt are of the very greatest rarity, and since Bab lived about the same time as Joseph, there remains but one inference, that the 'many years famine' in the days of Baba are the '7 years of famine' under Joseph."

Frances
Nov 30th 2009, 05:32 PM
Genesis 42

What does the text say? - Jacob sent Joseph's 10 half brothers to buy grain in Egypt, but did not send Benjamin. Joseph was the Governor of Egypt, and he sold the grain. Joseph recognised his brothers but they did not recognise him, when they bowed down to him. Joseph accused his brothers of being spies and put them in prison for 3 days; they didn't know Joseph understood when they talked together of their present position being because of what they'd done to him. Joseph kept Simeon in prison until Benjamin came to him, and sent the rest of his brothers home with grain, and their money returned in their sacks. Jacob was angry and refused to let Benjamin go to Egypt, fearing he would lose him too.

Application? - Do I try to keep those I love most near me for their sake or for my own? Will my past ill-deeds haunt me until I acknowledge them as Sin, and repent? Do I bless those who have hurt me in the past? or make them suffer?

Frances
Dec 1st 2009, 05:20 PM
Genesis 43

What does the text say? - When Jacob's family had eaten the grain they'd fetched from Egypt he told them to go and buy more, but they wouldn't go without Benjamin. Judah offered to be surety for Benjamin; eventually Jacob said he could go, and that they must also take Joseph presents and the money that had been returned to them in their sacks. When Joseph saw his brothers he ordered them to be taken to his home and a meal prepared, as they would eat at noon. The Israelites were afraid Joseph was going to make them all his slaves, however the steward brought Simeon to them and said they owed nothing for the grain they’d had previously. Joseph was filled with emotion when he saw Benjamin and went elsewhere to weep; when he returned Joseph ordered the meal to be served, and his brothers were amazed to discover they'd been seated in order of their ages. Joseph served them food from his own table, giving Benjamin five times as much as the others.

Application? - Do I try to earn favour by giving presents?(eg. do I try to earn God's favour by the things I do for Him?) Have I totally forgiven those who have harmed me in any way? Do I fear slavery to Jesus when that is not His intention? Am I amazed to realise Jesus knows all of my guilty secrets? Does it offend me to realise Jesus regards the Jews as very special and offers them more than others, and Blessing other nations through them? Do I allow my character to improve?

Frances
Dec 2nd 2009, 05:01 PM
Genesis 44

What does the text say? - Joseph commanded his steward to fill his brother's sacks with grain and put their money on top, and also to put his silver cup in Benjamin's sack. At dawn the Israelites set out for Canaan, but Joseph sent his steward after them to accuse them of stealing his cup. They were taken back to Joseph who claimed Benjamin as his slave.. Judah pleaded to be Joseph's slave instead of Benjamin.

Application? - Joseph made his brother's 'pay' in a small way, for the suffering they had imposed on him. Have I been forced by circumstances to humble myself?

Note:- It was Judah (37:26-28) who suggested selling Joseph, and Judah who offered to stand surety for Benjamin.

Frances
Dec 3rd 2009, 05:26 PM
Genesis 45

What does the text say? - Joseph revealed his identity to his brothers and told them not to blame themselves for selling him, for it was God who h ad sent him to Egypt to preserve their lives; he told them to bring their father and their families to live in Goshan, for there were still 5 years of famine to come. Pharaoh said the same, and commanded them to take carts from Egypt to carry their wives and children. Then Joseph gave each of his brothers a change of clothing, but he gave Benjamin 5 changes and 300 pieces of silver. He told them not to argue on the journey, and sent his father plenty of food for the journey. Jacob didn't believe Joseph was alive at first, but then happily agreed to go to Egypt.

Application? - Do I accept all difficulties I face as part of God's Grace knowing my circumstances are overruled by Him? Do I share my Blessings with those who have harmed me in the past? Have I had difficulty believing Jesus rose from the dead? Do i trust God's Word to be true? Do I accept the Blessings He offers? Am I willing to submit to Him?

Frances
Dec 4th 2009, 05:29 PM
Genesis 46

What does the text say? - Jacob/Israel , his family and possessions, arrived in Beersheba and offered sacrifices to the God of Isaac. Jacob had a Vision in which God said He would go to Egypt with his family and bring back to Canaan again, after Jacob had been with Joseph, and died. So Jacob and his family, which included his 70 male descendants, went to Egypt. Jacob met them in Goshen and told them to tell Pharaoh they were shepherds, then he would let them live in Goshen, for every shepherd was an abomination to Egyptians.

Application? - Would a famine of God's Word in my homeland encourage me to go to another country to be spiritually fed? Would I go where I was despised if the Lord told me to go there?

Note:- God had told Abraham his family would be in Egypt 400 years 'until the wickedness of the Amorites is complete'. Archeology has shown how dreadful the Amorites were, for instance Venereal disease was rife because of their corrupt sexual practices.

Frances
Dec 5th 2009, 05:04 PM
Genesis 47

What does the text say? - Joseph took his father and 5 of his brothers to meet Pharaoh, his brothers told Pharaoh they, like their ancestors were shepherds, and Joseph blessed Pharaoh and told him he was 130 years old. Pharaoh told Joseph to give his family the best land in Egypt, so he settled them in Rameses in Goshen. Pharaoh also offered the position of chief herdsman of his livestock to those who were competent (very important positions in the following years). During the years of famine Joseph aquired for Pharaoh first, all the money in Egypt and Canaan, then all the livestock in exchange for grain, then he exchanged grain for all the land and people in Egypt. When everything belonged to Pharaoh, except what belonged to the priests, Joseph moved all the people into cities. When the famine was over Joseph gave the seed necessary for sowing the land to the people, requiring 20% of their harvest for Pharaoh. Jacob lived 17 years in Egypt, being 147 when he died, after Joseph had promised to bury him with Abraham and Isaac in Canaan. During this time Jacob's descendants had multiplied exceedingly.

Application? - Do I do all I'm able to ensure members of my wider family are well catered for? am I fair as well as business-like in my dealings with others? Do I look after my employers best interests, and at the same time all people have sufficient?

Quote:- (Rev.David Pawson) "Joseph seems to have no concern for himself and a deep concern for everyone else. His character is flawless . . . he is unspoiled either by humiliation or honour".

Frances
Dec 6th 2009, 05:15 PM
Genesis 48

What does the text say? - When Joseph was told his father was dying he took his two sons to see Jacob, who was now almost blind. Jacob sat up in bed and told Joseph of God appearing to him at Luz, and Promising to give him and his descendants the land of Canaan as an everlasting possession. Jacob then accepted Joseph's sons as his own, saying those born to Joseph later would not share the inheritance of Canaan. Joseph placed his elder son Manasseh on Jacob's right and the younger Ephraim on his left, but Jacob crossed his hands, saying the younger boy and his descendants would be greater than his brother's. Jacob also gave Joseph a double portion of what he owned.

Application? - Do I believe the Promises God made to me are established fact, even though they are not yet manifested? Do I feel obliged to do what is normally accepted practice, or do I heed God's Word?

Frances
Dec 7th 2009, 05:50 PM
Genesis 49

What does the text say? - Jacob's assessment of each of his sons, and his prophecy for their descendants. Reuben, unstable as water would not excel or have power. Simeon and Levi , violent and cruel would be scattered. Judah and his descendants would be leaders until the Messiah came. Zebulum and his descendants would be seafarers. Issachar, prefering the countryside would be hard workers. Dan could not be trusted, like a snake in the grass. Gad would be attacked but triumph in the end. Asher would provide food fit for kings. Naptali, good with words. Joseph, though attacked would be strengthened by faith in God. Benjamin thrived on battles and plunder. Jacob told his sons to bury him in the cave of Machpelah near Mamre. Then he died.

Application? - My character will influence generations of my descendants. Am I passing on to future generations good or bad characteristics? Am I demonstrating love of God and reliance on Him and His Word? Would carbon copies of myself cause pleasure or pain? It's not too late for me to change . . .

Frances
Dec 8th 2009, 05:51 PM
Genesis 50

What does the text say? - Joseph had Jacob's/Israel's body embalmed, and the Egyptians mourned him for 70 days. Pharaoh agreed to Joseph's request to go to Canaan to bury his father at Hebron. Joseph was accompanied by all Israel's descendants except the little ones, all Pharaoh's officials, the seniour members of Pharaoh's household and the seniour officers in Egypt, then they all returned to Egypt. Joseph's brothers were afraid he would now make them suffer for their Sin against him when he was a boy, so tried to make him believe their father wanted him to forgive their Sin against him. As Joseph had forgiven them long before, their distrust of him made him weep. Joseph acknowledged God's Hand in all of his former troubles for the good of Jacob and all his descendants. Joseph died when he was 110 years old (in about 1876BC) after telling all the Israelites that one day God would take them all back to Canaan, the land He had Promised the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob for ever.

Application? - Do I fully realise the difficulties I face in life, even those caused by people with evil intent, God means for the ultimate good of myself and my family? Do I let difficult circumstances make me bitter? or do I look for, and wait for, other doors of opportunity that God has opened for me? One day I will die - am I ready to meet Almighty God face to face? Am I trusting Jesus Christ to have paid my penalty for my Sin?

Note:- When the Israelites left Egypt they took Joseph's bones with them (Exodus 13 19)

Quote: - (Rev. David Pawson) " One of the most remarkable things said about Jesus in the New Testament is that He was responsible for the Creation of the Universe (John 1-1). When we read Gen.1 Jesus was part of the plurality of the Godhead. We have known for several decades the earth's surface is on flat plates of rock floating on moulton rock, and that these plates are constantly moving, rubbing against each other to cause earthquakes. The scientists . . . call them 'tectonic plates'. In Greek the word 'tectone' means 'carpenter'. the whole planet earth on which we live is the work of a Carpenter from Nazareth - the Lord Jesus Christ. So we finish our studies in Genesis where we began - with Creation”.