PDA

View Full Version : Discussion so that he does not die?

Elijah Lau
Oct 21st 2009, 07:42 AM
And it shall be on Aaron when he ministers, and its sound shall be heard when he goes into the Holy Place before the Lord, and when he comes out, so that he does not die. (Exodus 28:35)ESV

"so that he does not die"?
what does this mean?

crossnote
Oct 22nd 2009, 03:40 AM
Perhaps...

That he die not - This seems an allusion to certain ceremonies which still prevail in the eastern countries. Jehovah appeared among his people in the tabernacle as an emperor in his tent among his troops. At the doors of the tents or palaces of grandees was generally placed some sonorous body, either of metal or wood, which was struck to advertise those within that a person prayed for admittance to the presence of the king, etc. As the tabernacle had no door, but a veil, and consequently nothing to prevent any person from going in, Aaron was commanded to put the bells on his robe, that his sound might be heard when he went into the holy place before the Lord.

(Taken from Clarkes Commentary)

ThyWordIsTruth
Oct 22nd 2009, 08:04 AM
And it shall be on Aaron when he ministers, and its sound shall be heard when he goes into the Holy Place before the Lord, and when he comes out, so that he does not die.

(Exodus 28:35)ESV

"so that he does not die"?
what does this mean?

I read it to mean that if he high priest were to enter the most sacred part of tha tabernacle without first putting on the attire that God had specifically commanded, and thus greatly disrespect and dishonour the presence of the Lord, he shall be put to death.

When the priest is ministering within the tabernacle, the people are outside offering up their prayers. Should they not hear the sound of the bells within the tabernacle, it means the priest is not ministering or doing what he should be doing, or perhaps he had taken off the priestly garments. That would be utter disrespect for the holiness of the place, and since the people cannot see what went on inside there, the sound of the bells serve as an indication of what's going on inside. Accountability.

However, this is just my guess. I'm not sure if the sound of the bells can actually be heard from the outside.

David Taylor
Oct 22nd 2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe this passage sheds some light on dying because of improper motives executed at the Altar.

Leviticus 9:23 "Aaron went into the tabernacle of the congregation, and came out, and blessed the people: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the people. And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces. And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD. Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace. "

BroRog
Oct 22nd 2009, 04:24 PM
I read it to mean that if he high priest were to enter the most sacred part of tha tabernacle without first putting on the attire that God had specifically commanded, and thus greatly disrespect and dishonour the presence of the Lord, he shall be put to death.

When the priest is ministering within the tabernacle, the people are outside offering up their prayers. Should they not hear the sound of the bells within the tabernacle, it means the priest is not ministering or doing what he should be doing, or perhaps he had taken off the priestly garments. That would be utter disrespect for the holiness of the place, and since the people cannot see what went on inside there, the sound of the bells serve as an indication of what's going on inside. Accountability.

However, this is just my guess. I'm not sure if the sound of the bells can actually be heard from the outside.

I like this explanation because it takes into account the issue David Taylor raised, and explains why an omniscient God would need to "hear" a priest.

Maybe the phrase "so that he does not die." should be read "in case he dies at my hand." Doesn't the priest also wear a rope? I thought I read that somewhere but maybe I saw it in a movie. :)

crossnote
Oct 23rd 2009, 03:27 AM
Doesn't the priest also wear a rope? I thought I read that somewhere but maybe I saw it in a movie. :)
I think it is called 'desert legend'. :cool: <---Ahab the Arab

Desperaux
Oct 23rd 2009, 03:46 AM
The reference to the death of the priest was to do with the possibility of an inadvertent mistake of not wearing the garment with the bells, which would bring on his death behind the veil. It was customary for the priest to have a rope fastened about him with one end outside of the veil so that if he was killed while within the holy of holies, the priests outside of the veil would be able to pull his body out without having a pandemonium of priests dying while entering the sacred place unworthily and dying themselves.

ThyWordIsTruth
Oct 23rd 2009, 06:13 AM
I like this explanation because it takes into account the issue David Taylor raised, and explains why an omniscient God would need to "hear" a priest.

Maybe the phrase "so that he does not die." should be read "in case he dies at my hand." Doesn't the priest also wear a rope? I thought I read that somewhere but maybe I saw it in a movie. :)

Thanks. I think the rope story is a myth, because the tabernacle is shielded by many seperate layers of thick curtains built in a maze-like manner and it will be impossible to pull the priest out with the rope even if he died.