PDA

View Full Version : what is the word "marriage"

firstpeterone
Nov 1st 2009, 03:53 AM
can I get some help from my brothers and sisters on the origins of the word 'marriage', as in husband and wife. What is the Hebrew and Greek? I need all of the insight I can get in this matter. Thanks.

Radagast
Nov 1st 2009, 04:00 AM
can I get some help from my brothers and sisters on the origins of the word 'marriage', as in husband and wife. What is the Hebrew and Greek? I need all of the insight I can get in this matter. Thanks.

In Greek we have the word gameo which means "marry," and from which we get words like "polygamy."

Why do you ask?

crossnote
Nov 1st 2009, 04:45 AM

Not to sure about the origin of the word 'marriage' but the origin of marriage is here..

But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."
(Mar 10:6-9)

HisLeast
Nov 1st 2009, 04:55 AM
Not to sure about the origin of the word 'marriage' but the origin of marriage is here..

But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."
(Mar 10:6-9)

Throughout the old testament as well there is precedent for a public, legal, formalization of marital union.

Beckrl
Nov 1st 2009, 06:40 PM
Agree with the above that marriage is a merging of two into one. Marriage is a "holy estate" instituted by God who created man and woman.

Jesus said,"What God has joined together, let not man put assunder" (Mtt 19:6)

Husband and wife are merging together into a single soul.

decrumpit
Nov 1st 2009, 07:14 PM
As to what it actually is, I would say a PUBLIC commitment of a man and a woman to each other for the purpose of expressing love and establishing a family. If one is a believer, then God is necessarily involved in the union.