PDA

View Full Version : What should we do when others take God's name in vain?

Petey
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:11 AM
Every day I hear people take the Lord's name, whether that be "Oh my God" or the more offensive "G-D". Should we as Christians confront them about this? Does anyone know if the Bible specifically answers this question?

Athanasius
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:12 AM
They don't know Jesus, it's to be expected.

tt1106
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:25 AM
Be a good witness.

webhead
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:45 AM
Ex 20:7 “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

He Hebrew word for vain used here is שוא(shav') emptiness, vanity, falsehood, lying.

Attaching a dirty word to the end of God is not taking his name in vain. It's wrong and sin, but it's not breaking any of the 10 commandments.

JohnDB
Nov 2nd 2009, 02:30 AM
Taking God's name in Vain is more than just misusing the name...it can also be sinning in view of others who know that you are a follower of Jesus. That sort of thing is besmirching the very name of Christ.

Or calling yourself a Christian and making the name of Christ a political membership than an actual follower of Christ.

People misuse the name of Christ all the time...and usually those who like to be known as Christians are usually the most guilty of anyone around...why should someone who is attemmpting profanity be any better than some chuch members about it all.

heweeps
Nov 2nd 2009, 04:06 AM
Petey I find it distasteful as well but have learned to ignore it. As Jesus said they really don't know what they are doing. Love them for they are created in the image of God and Jesus shed His precious blood for them.

keith

crossnote
Nov 2nd 2009, 05:04 AM
Every day I hear people take the Lord's name, whether that be "Oh my God" or the more offensive "G-D". Should we as Christians confront them about this? Does anyone know if the Bible specifically answers this question?

For G-D; You might try, "are you sure you want Him to?"

For J-s Crst; "Why, what did He do wrong?"

Similar responses can be door openers.

Desperaux
Nov 2nd 2009, 05:15 AM
Sometimes I simply wince, but I move on. Such people don't care about God. If they are Christians, I have the obligation to lovingly correct the brother or sister, however.

IMINXTC
Nov 2nd 2009, 05:30 AM

I always gently confront them, asking them to please not use the LORD's name that way. They almost always apologize, and it becomes a little opportunity for witnessing.

Gregg
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:14 PM
How about, "you seem angry, is there something I can do to help?"

Longsufferer
Nov 2nd 2009, 01:22 PM
Taking the Name of God in vain is personal, individual, and has nothing to do with merely saying so. It is when we take upon ourselves the Name of God for whom we say that we believe in, and then live in defiance of what He commands; this is taking His Name in vain. For this cause did Christ say to us, Why do you call me Lord, and do not do the things which I say: This is naming the Name of Christ in vain.

Firefighter
Nov 2nd 2009, 02:30 PM
The last time it happened, I was at Rapid Intervention Team training. I guy was upset at his rookie partner and come out VERY upset because of a mission failure. After about the tenth time he said G-D, I said "How about going easy on that word for a while." He replied loudly "What's your problem?" I then replied "I am the Chaplain." He apologized and didn't use it again for the duration of our training.;)

thepenitent
Nov 2nd 2009, 02:41 PM
I always gently confront them, asking them to please not use the LORD's name that way. They almost always apologize, and it becomes a little opportunity for witnessing.

Amen. I work with hard charging people who cuss like sailors. (Just as I used to). I put up with most language (I heard, and used, it all before) but when the G---D--- comes up I almost always ask to watch the language. As with your experience, they usually apologize. It still happens occasionally, but now they usually catch themselves and apologize before I can admonish them. I then tell them (good naturedly) that, "See, it's not me but your conscience that convicts you."

RabbiKnife
Nov 2nd 2009, 03:28 PM
"Taking God's name in vain" is not cursing, or using profanity that includes a reference to a member of the Trinity. That is just coarse talk that reveals and inner inability to use language properly to express extreme emotion. Verbal laziness.

"Taking God's name in vain" is when you say "God says in the Bible that blah blah blah", when "blah blah blah" = your personal cultural standard that has nothing to do with what God says.

Need an example? First occurrence was when Satan said, in the garden of Eden, "Did God really say..."

Every time we say "God said" when God did not say, we take His name in vain.

VerticalReality
Nov 2nd 2009, 03:33 PM
When I hear such language I simply take into account who I'm hearing it from. If I allow such things to really get to me then actually ministering to these people is going to be mighty difficult.

Go out on a street ministry and you'll get used to hearing foul language real quick. However, what business do I have looking at them in a judgmental sort of way when I once was in their very shoes doing the same thing? They are just ignorant and blinded by the enemy. We need to be a good witness for the kingdom . . . not by correcting their behavior (it isn't expected that they will behave any differently), but by being a light shining by our own behavior.